Start by marking “1+1=5 and Other Unlikely Additions” as Want to Read:
1+1=5 and Other Unlikely Additions

1+1=5 and Other Unlikely Additions

How much is 1+1? Think the answer is 2? Not always, as this playful approach to addition proves! David LaRochelle takes children on a joyful mathematical journey that will engage their minds and teach them to think about numbers in a creative, outside-the-box way.
Brenda Sexton's wild and wacky illustrations add layers of witty fun to LaRochelle's clever game.

These wacky

Published September 7th 2010 by Sterling

To ask other readers questions about 1+1=5 and Other Unlikely Additions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1+1=5 and Other Unlikely Additions

Becky Loader
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
These are so clever! I love math, and I got several ideas on how to read this to my neighborhood kids.
Kristen
I like the divergent thinking here - 1 + 1 = 5 when 1 set of twins + 1 set of triplets = 5 babies. With each page turn, kids have to think about what 2 groups of some things could add up to a certain number. Most are pretty tough to guess: 1 duet + 1 quartet = 6 musicians. But it's a fun challenge for kids to then think of their own 1 + 1 groups. This could be fun to read with "One is a Snail, Ten is a Crab: a counting by Feet book" by April Pulley Sayre, Jeff Sayre, and Randy Cecil, or "This Pl ...more
Natalie  Sapkarov Harvey
Didn't love it as much as others. I love the concept of finding ways when 1+1 is more than two, especially in grouping situations, but I think the illustrations are too busy for it to happen in a meaningful and understandable way in this book. Also, I think it would have worked better if there was a consistent theme throughout - like just focusing on feet. But I don't teach math to the little ones, so what do I know?
Jessie
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: math, future-dibbun
I found this book through #unitchat. It's fun for thinking about units, different quantities, and the question "How many?" I can see this prompting a lot of interesting conversations.

Each addition takes two pages. The first page poses the addition as a question, such as "1+1=3?" The second then provides an explanation, like "1 unicorn + 1 goat = 3 horns." Most of the explanations are guessable, even if they're difficult. However, there are a few for which the illustration on the first page hides
Jo Oehrlein
Jun 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: math, picture-books
This book is all about the statement that Units Matter!
1+1 only equals 2 if they have the same units.

It's not really a counting book, but it is a way to get people thinking beyond the rote number sentences to see if things make sense.
Beverly
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pbf-general
Clever!
Alyssa
Mar 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: creativity
I thought that this book was a fun read however I couldn't help but think about how confusing it was. I understand it but i'm not sure at what age a teacher or parent would read this book to their children. I am going to guess third or fourth grade. For children who know their basic math factors enough to the point where they can read this book and still know that outside of the book 1+1=2. I did like how this book makes a person think and try to get them to think outside of the box. I think eve ...more
Stephanie Crowther
Nov 13, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: child-lit
This book frustrated me. While the idea was cute, it is not something I would want young students to read in the classroom. It seems to present the idea that anything can be added, regardless of what the things are. This is not true. Addition requires like terms, and when you add, the sum will be a number of the same things you added. When you add 3 apples and 5 oranges, you don't get 8 apple-oranges. Some would argue that you could change the unit to fruit, since apples and oranges are both fru ...more
Darshana Khiani (Flowering Minds)
Kids will love this wacky, creative, math/counting book. Even though my kids know the answers by heart now, they still enjoy the questions. Each right page has a “1+1″ question and illustration which give the reader a hint. When you flip the page you get the full context and picture, explaining the equation. My three year old likes to count on the answer page, whereas my 5 year old will read the answer.

I wouldn’t consider it a math book for teaching, but it is loads of fun. Some of the pages do
Scotlyn Carpenter
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: creativity
This book is so much fun! I feel like most adults would get annoyed with it because it is teaching children the wrong answers for simple addition problems. However, I look at it as a chance for kids to be creative and use their minds in ways they wouldn't normally use them throughout the day. Most of the time I am entertained for long periods of time when I am doing something that challenges my brain and causes me to think outside the box. Sometimes, books like this are what get children to perf ...more
Allison
This book puts a fun twist on the equation of 1+1 which you would automatically assume the answer is 2. LaRochelle shows you how the answer isn't always necessarily just that, like adding one triangle plus one square= seven sides. Or adding one a.m. with one p.m. = one day. This is a witty and silly book, but it has educational value, forcing kids to think outside of the box. The answer to the equation is given, and then on the next page is provides you with the answer.

This book is appropriate
Jessica
Mar 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: march
I really enjoyed this book but I don't think that it made a very good math book. That being said, it is an extremely clever idea and really causes the reader to think. The first couple problems are hardest because you're trying to think like they do but by the end, it's easier to understand. The illustrations in this book are essential to figuring out the problems. They are drawn in a style that lends itself well to what they are trying to accomplish. This is not a book that should be read with ...more
Dolly
Dec 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
When does 1 + 1 not equal 2? You'll have to read this book to find out! It's a fun book to read together and with the question on one side and the answer on the back of the page, the book offers a great opportunity for children to practice making educated guesses. The illustrations are cartoonish and colorful and the critters really remind me of the website www.kneebouncers.com - a site our girls just loved to play on when they were itty bitty. We really enjoyed reading this book together.
Claire Macugay
Dec 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I chose to give this one five stars because I am a great fan of wit, and this is a very witty book, indeed. I may be stretching this, but this book has a bit of math, science and music in it. I didn't say it incorporated much music but the book does teach us that duets have two members and quartets have four. It also shows us that ants have 6 legs, spiders have 8, octopus have 8 arms, starfish have 5, and that snakes and worms have neither arms nor legs. All the while exercising addition skills!
Sydney
Mar 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: creativity
I know this book gets a lot of bad rep but I thought it was challenging in a good way. I dislike math strongly. Addition isn't hard for my age but for young kids it can be. This book can be confusing with what it is asking but I like that it forces the reader to pay attention to detail and think outside of the box. Isn't that what learning is all about? I wouldn't read it to anyone below third grade because it would just get confusing but it could be fun to see students think their way through t ...more
Kathryn Sublett
Apr 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Students will enjoy thinking about addition in nontraditional ways. It would be best to introduce this concept to students in the upper grade levels. Students could create their own number sentence riddles for the class and use illustrations to aid in comprehension of the number sentence. I believe students in kindergarten through second grade will struggle to understand this book because they are just learning how to use addition themselves.
Lauren McKinney
This book has fantastic and eye-catching illustrations. The author does a great job of taking children on a mathematical journey. Teaching them to think about math in different ways and to think of numbers in various ways. It definitely makes you think and engages the reader. It would be a great book to use with a addition lesson with students. Teaching students various algorithms and ways of thinking of math problems will help them with their math skills further down the line.
Takishia Gabriel
Oct 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: math
This is a really fun book to really get students thinking critically about math. Students really have to think about different set of numbers in order to find the answer. This book would definitely be a challenge for sum but overall it is an excellent book to get the students mind going. 1+1=5....1set of triplets + 1 set of twins= 5 bodies. The author was very creative, and this would be a great opportunity for me to get my students thinking about different ways that they can make numbers.
Halli
Nov 17, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: children-s-lit
I did not like this book. This book was very confusing for my classmates and I; if its confusing for college students then i'm confident it will be confusing for elementary age children. This book will confuse children who are learning mathematics. I guess the book is "creative" but i'm not sure what the author was trying to teach. The illustrations are cute and colorful but overall I did not particularly enjoy this book.
Chantell
Jan 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
1+1= 5 and other unlikely additions is a great book children. Brenda Sexton did an amazing job on the illustrations. They were big and colorful, it was just enough to keep a child's attention without distracting them from the words on the page. I also really liked how creative LaRochelle was on the first page it says 1+1=3 then you turn to the second page and it said "1 unicorn+ 1 goat = 3 horns!" kids love animals and i thought it was genius.
Janette
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was so awesome! I don't think I've ever read a book and just been so impressed with the creativity. It's not a traditonal book, but the elements of math are really cool. It really forced me to think out of the box, and for a children's book it was pretty challenging. Sometimes the questions are hard, but when you get them right it's very satisfying. Awesome book, a must read!
Ashley Soules
Nov 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a very interesting mathematics book for children. You have to pay very close attention to the illustrations because they hold important clues for the reader and the answer. I was only able to get few correct myself, but I had a blast trying. I think that this is a wonderful little book for children. It's fun, exciting, silly, and it makes you use your brain! wonderful little book.
Nicolette
Apr 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book because throughout it I tried to make predictions and it was really thought provoking and fun! I think this would be good for kids who already know their basic addition and want to use their imagination and think more about it! I would definitely not use this book with students starting to learn addition though in fear that they would get confused!
Colette
Feb 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pk-2-ral
Even bilingual kindergartners understand that this math is all wrong, or is it? After a few pages, and a bit of explanation, the kids are telling you what the author is adding before you turn the page. Some pages are a bit more difficult than others, but just ask them to make up their own page, and you will see just how creative your kids can be!
Charlotte
Jun 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids
I wanted to like this more. I'm always up for looking at problems in a new way. If you read this with your kids and talk about the examples, then it can open up a discussion about thinking critically/creatively - so that's valuable. But this is just not the way my brain works. When it comes to algebra, I go for clarity. To me, this approach is confusing to young kids.
Samantha
Apr 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math
Love this book!!! It is colorfully illustrated and full of wacky equations that really make you think. How does 1+1=5? One set of twins and one set of triplets! There is one page that adds the sides of shapes and another that add the time on a clocks. This is a great book for children because it is engaging and covers a variety of addition situations.
Krista Mcdowell
Dec 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a cute little non-fiction math book. All the equations started off the same: 1+1. But the answers always varies on either the thing, object, or animals in the picture. Such as "1+1=14". 1 ant +1 spider = 14 legs. This would be fund to take kids out side, give them an equation and ask them to use their imagination to come up with solutions.
Danielle
Mar 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. I liked how untraditional it was. I think it makes for a challenge for children which is a good thing. It really makes the reader look into the sense of where the author is trying to take the reader in finding the answer to the word problem. I thought it was brilliantly done. I plan on buying this for my own library for my classroom.
Holland Crook
Apr 15, 2012 rated it liked it
I thought this was a really cute book for little kids. I think that it would be fun to incorporate math into this because there are so many little math problems that come of it. For an example 1+1=10 then when you turn the page it says 1 right foot + 1 left foot = 10 toes. I just thought it was a cute twist to put on what we generally think of when we think of addition.
Taylor Owens
Mar 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: creativity
This is definitely not a book that you would want to read to first graders that are beginning to learn math problems. This could be confusing to the wrong audience of children however an older age group will love this silly book. Children will get excited about guessing how to figure out the answer to these unlikely additions! Overall really fun book but for older children.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Growing Patterns: Fibonacci Numbers in Nature
  • 2 X 2 = Boo!: A Set of Spooky Multiplication Stories
  • One Pup's Up
  • Blockhead: The Life of Fibonacci
  • How Many Seeds in a Pumpkin?
  • G Is for Googol: A Math Alphabet Book