Start by marking “Scalable Internet Architectures” as Want to Read:
Scalable Internet Architectures

Scalable Internet Architectures

As a developer, you are aware of the increasing concern amongst developers and site architects that websites be able to handle the vast number of visitors that flood the Internet on a daily basis. Scalable Internet Architectures addresses these concerns by teaching you both good and bad design methodologies for building new sites and how to scale existing websites to robus ...more
Published July 1st 2006 by Sams Publishing (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Scalable Internet Architectures, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scalable Internet Architectures

Ala' Abuhijleh
Dec 25, 2010 rated it it was ok
I really did not find this book interesting for the following reasons:

1. Flow of ideas was not clear, I lost context so many times
2. Some ideas are over-illustrated
3. The flow is not smooth
4. Introduced no new ideas, thoughts or eye openers

I might be right, I might be wrong, but I really did not find anything special about this book
Jack Repenning
What "NoSQL" is to data management, Theo Schlossnagle is to data-center and federated multi-tennant architectures. For good, for bad, for novel insights and resurrected ancient errors ... it's all there, along with a truculent, dismissive attitude.
Achtmhz
May 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: devops

Most of the tools are now outdated.
Still a good read as the problem descriptions are very good.
John
Mar 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. Definitely should be on the bookshelf of anyone running a large web service/site/application. Summary: "performance is not necessarily scalability", "know your tools", "measure", "good logging is really important" and "message buses can be really useful".

The book serves another useful purpose: it is really old school. Code examples are in Perl and C and Unix philosophy (small tools, doing one thing well, connected together) is demonstrated throughout and applied to contemporary
Mao
Jan 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is my first book about scalability. It's was written a decade ago. I'm not sure how relevant the examples are since I'm not working in the field. I give a glimpse on the examples. In general, the book is well organized and the principle is clear. It focuses on the topic: Scalability, and touches relevant topics too.
Cheryl
Apr 17, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: partially-read
This book reminds me of a rambling lecture from a professor who probably knows a lot (it's hard to be sure), but isn't very good at helping anyone else learn. I didn't actually finish this book -- switched to Building Scalable Web Sites instead, which seems much better so far.
Arun
Oct 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cs
This book had just enough material to hold my interest in building scalable web systems. The code formatting in the ebook format was ugly and I just skimmed the last chapter which contains mostly C and perl code but the formatting made it hard to follow the logic. Overall a good starting point on learning about scalable web systems.
Terry
Jun 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: web
Remembered why this is 3 stars, easy to read, accessible....mostly, but author goes off on tangents of deeply bewildering programming in the end, so much, I forget the original problem. This also appears to be a book that shills for the Spread daemon... Which is not in itself a bad thing, but do wonder if some solutions could be dealt with message queueing. A decent book still....
Mayank Jaiswal
Jan 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Good book but a bit outdated today. Anyone reading it today in 2017 might feel that many concepts explained are too low level given the technologies available today. May be reading a summary of
this book will suffice.
Vadim
Sep 11, 2013 rated it liked it
First half of the book will suit perfectly if you have trouble telling high availability from load balancing. Introduces some of the networking concepts, albeit superficially. The last half of the book is basically an advertisement and a manual for the Spread/Wackamole tools.
Alexis
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
outdated in many ways
Shawn
Dec 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: web
published in 2006 which is not very up to date (2012 when I read it). but good enough for building scalable internet apps on your own hardware.
Timon Karnezos
Sep 17, 2009 rated it liked it
A bit out of date, but if you're new to IT on anything larger than the one or two server scale, this is a very enlightening read.
Sam
May 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technical
Fantastic book. Packed with useful information for real-world sysadmins.
Kirill Klimov
Jan 22, 2016 marked it as to-read
already arrived ;)
Alexander Shishenko
Feb 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tech
This book is about principles of building scalable architectures, but the author gives too much attention to a specific technology (Spread) instead of telling about vendor-unspecific approach.
Justine
Feb 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tech
Somewhat less accessible than I was honestly ready for, but very informative.
Philip Cristiano
Mar 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great intro to many topics you should always keep in mind. Some of the technology mentioned is outdated but the techniques still apply.
Davin
  • Web Operations: Keeping the Data on Time
  • Building Scalable Web Sites
  • High Performance MySQL: Optimization, Backups, Replication & Load Balancing
  • Beyond the Goal: Eliyahu Goldratt Speaks on the Theory of Constraints
  • Continuous Delivery: Reliable Software Releases Through Build, Test, and Deployment Automation
  • Continuous delivery and DevOps A Quickstart Guide
  • The Ruby Way: Solutions and Techniques in Ruby Programming (Addison-Wesley Professional Ruby Series)
  • High Performance Web Sites
  • Systems Performance: Enterprise and the Cloud
  • Linux Kernel Development
  • Learning Ruby
  • The Visible Ops Handbook: Starting ITIL in 4 Practical Steps
  • Python Essential Reference (Developer's Library)
  • Rapid Development: Taming Wild Software Schedules
  • The Practice of System and Network Administration
  • The Art of Scalability: Scalable Web Architecture, Processes, and Organizations for the Modern Enterprise
  • Manage Your Project Portfolio

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
“I know two companies that collapsed due to the inability to reduce operating costs when the utilization of their sites diminished. The dot-com user base (of intangible monetary value based on registered users) did not grow and generate revenue as expected. There was a substantial number of loyal users, and both companies were able to redefine their business plans to turn a profit by catering solely to their loyal user base. However, the business plans required reducing operational costs, and due to countless bad application design decisions, the applications would not operate on architectures substantially smaller than the large-scale originals. Although the traffic and utilization of their architectures dropped to about 10% of the original goal, they were only able to realize a 20% reduction in operational costs.” 0 likes
“Understanding the scope of the problem and being able to step outside the current solution is essential to building efficient systems. The initial solution to a problem may be the entirely wrong approach to the problem as it evolves.” 0 likes