Start by marking “The Trees of Zharka” as Want to Read:
The Trees of Zharka

The Trees of Zharka

The people of Zharka were born only to suffer, kept ignorant of the Great Sin of their Earthian ancestors but forced to atone for it by the stern priests of the Sacred Grove. Poverty and despair were their lot, and would remain so forever....Then one renegade priest, Toma Alexan, broke free of the High Council. Two youths had committed the ultimate blasphemy of bringing ha ...more
Published 1975 by Popular Library

To ask other readers questions about The Trees of Zharka, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Trees of Zharka

Printable Tire
Feb 27, 2012 rated it did not like it
"Seventy-nine gigantic Trees towered hundreds of feet into the sky, their leaves touched radiantly by the rising sun. Seventy-nine men, tiny and insignificant, groveled at the base of the Trees, praying to a God who didn't listen. The people of Zharka had sinned, and God had turned away from them."

So since I had such good luck with reading the Healer recently, I decided to once again buy a book and, rather than let it linger on my shelf like so many others for years, read it immediately.

Would th
Mark R.
Jun 09, 2010 rated it liked it
Quick read. A fun, pulpy sci-fi novel from the 70's, about a planet called Zharka and the people who live there and worship trees out of respect for the gods, of whom they know almost nothing.

One day, a newly appointed Zharkan priest takes a few cues from his novice, and begins seriously questioning why his people do any of the things they do--and why such harsh punishments are inflicted on those who don't do as their told. Their religious rules make no sense, and are bathed in confusion and sec
Jean Triceratops
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
The world of Zharka lives in perpetual penance—as dictated by its priests—for a great sin committed long ago. Though the specifics of that sin have been lost to time, the majority of the priesthood is convinced that it caused their god to turn from them, and only a life of drudgery and hard work will regain his favor.

One young priest, Toma, isn’t so sure.

I went into The Trees of Zharka with skepticism. The few reviews that do exist slant towards outright negative, and I have enough baggage about
Joshua
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great quick read with a story and message that today's readers can learn something from.
Gary O'Geralds
Sep 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I saw the dated cover art on a pile of free books, and gave the first page a read mostly out of amused curiousity, but to my suprised I was pulled in. I wouldn't exactly say this book was an overlooked masterpiece, but it was an increadibly fun and fulfilling read. It is what all good science fiction is: a unique setting that pulls you in and considers what it means to be human.
Tatra
May 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
One of my favorite scifi books.
Adrien Silvestre
Mar 14, 2019
Dale
Jun 19, 2013
Jeffrey Eernisse
Jan 21, 2019
Priscilla Del Gesso
rated it did not like it
Nov 18, 2017