Start by marking “Dude, Can You Count? Stories, Challenges, and Adventures in Mathematics” as Want to Read:
Dude, Can You Count? Stories, Challenges, and Adventures in Mathematics

Dude, Can You Count? Stories, Challenges, and Adventures in Mathematics

3.5  ·  Rating details ·  14 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
This fun narrative blends fact, humor, light scholarly argument, and elementary challenges as it explores the importance of mathematics. It features, JJ, a character who offers a satirical evaluation of the public s attitude toward numeracy and logic.

"
Published February 1st 2010 by Springer (first published January 1st 2009)

Be the first to ask a question about Dude, Can You Count? Stories, Challenges, and Adventures in Mathematics

James Carter
Nov 28, 2016 rated it did not like it
I wished that I skimmed more into Dude, Can You Count? before checking it out from the library.

When I got home to read it, I immediately became bored after two pages of a chance meeting between the narrator and an alien from some planet. So, I began to skim through the pages, and all I can say was, "Damn, I am bored!" Needless to say, I flat-out gave up. I am actually a mathematician, but this book is literally for those who have spent too much time in ivory towers or don't have much of a soci
afloatingpoint
Apr 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mathematic
An unbelievably hilarious math book one could have ever read.

Updated: Having a personal relationship with the author certainly causes me to have some bias in reviewing this book. To be as fair as possible, the first two chapters might be a bit boring, but trust me, it gets a lot better after that, especially if you love math.
Thom
Sep 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Started off well enough, very similar to the Number Devil. Later chapters revealed that the veneer was not terribly clever, just thinly applied. Math and puzzles increased in difficulty through the book, and are recommended - but the rest was not terribly satisfying. Averages out to "liked it."
Jose Samper