Start by marking “The Fledgling Handbook 101” as Want to Read:
The Fledgling Handbook 101

The Fledgling Handbook 101

Merry meet, fledgling. Welcome to a new life, a new world, and a new you. Welcome to the House of Night!

This might seem like a scary time, Fledgling, but never fear! As you start your journey through the ancient halls of the House of Night, this indispensable handbook will aid you in your transition from human to fledgling. Within these pages you will find invaluable infor
Published October 26th 2010 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published January 1st 2010)

Yolanda Sfetsos
I might have fallen behind on the actual reading of this wonderful and intriguing series, but it didn't stop me from loving and enjoying this handbook. As I turned the pages of this stunning book, I felt as if I'd just been enrolled into this school and was learning the history and what to expect after the Change.

It's brilliant--packed full of facts, class emblems, rituals, history, mythology, explanations, and there's even blank spaces to fill in your personal Fledging details. ;) And the pict
Cyndy Otty
Apr 29, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult
For a series that I've practically given up on I wasn't expecting much from this additional tie-in guide. However, my feelings really stem from the fact that this is supposed to be the often mentioned textbook from the series. Now obviously no one's going to read a fictional textbook that comes off like a real textbook -- I hardly want to read the ones I'm supposed to for class. But if you're going to write a pretend textbook you either need to make it believable as a reference by having solid d ...more
Joost
Dec 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Een informatie-boekje over The House of Night. Zeker interessant om te lezen, maar ik heb ook behoorlijk wat kritiek. Mijn recensie kan je hier lezen: http://nerdygeekyfanboy.com/recensie/...
Soberana
Sep 25, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: os-meus-livros
Muito aborrecido. Só gostei mesmo do capitulo de história e o sobre ser-se marcada.
Pense mesmo nele como sendo mesmo um manual do aluno da Casa da Noite.
Stacy Ivashkov
Oct 27, 2010 rated it liked it
WHAT A COOL BOOK! ANYONE WHO READS THE HOUSE OF NIGHT SERIES SHOULD PICK THIS UP. IT'S REALLY COOL TO SEE THE HISTORY BEHIND THE STORY. REALLY NEAT
Emma Höglund
This book is a background to the world of House of Night, with small stories about famous vampyres, about the Change and so on.
It could have been much better though. It could have had more intresting facts about the House of Nights, maybe a small world map with dots to mark out where the school can be found, it could have had more about affinity and how that works, more about the studies at the school. Several times the discussed a subject and then just said: this isn't a subject for fledglings
Bella (Cheezyfeet Books)
I love the House of Night series. I love the story, the characters, the world that the Casts have created. I really wanted to love this. But unfortunately, I didn't.
It started off okay, with an introduction into the House of Night world and with the biology of vampyres and how your body changes, I thought that was pretty interesting, because it was so well thought out and it really shows that the author had really thought about the world she created in her books. So that was pretty cool, althou
Kristi
Apr 06, 2011 rated it it was ok

This is a much have for House of Night Fans.

I initially that this was a guidebook on the series itself, but it's actually a "handbook." It's written as though YOU are a fledgling student at the House of Night. There's even places for you to jot down notes... like what changes you notice happening to your body, now that you're a fledgling!

It's broken up into six chapters or sections. Each one discussing a different topic that all fledgling vampyres should know.

The first section is an introductio
Dahlia
May 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
I've seen of lot of negative reviews and heard a lot of people say they're dissapointed with this handbook. However, I think it's a great addition to the series and am happy to have it in my library.

This handbook, along with the series, was obviously written for young teenagers, as a lot of the vampyre lore and history in the book are simply stories from our own history that have been slightly tweaked. My favorite story was The Tragedy of Pompeii.

This book is definitely not for the history buf
Emma (BelleBooks)
Being a massive House of Night fan I had to pick this book up to add to my collection!

The book itself is very pretty, I love the fact that it is all colour inside and filled with pictures!
There is even space for you to write in your own pieces, as if you are attending a House of Night. I won't be writing in the book though, it's just too pretty to do that!

As for information, there isn't too much that readers won't already know from the original book series. It is nice to read it and imagine what
Hadessephy
Oct 31, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: vampire, ya, 2014
This book was a good idea but it would have been better if it focused more on school rules and the biology of being a vampire instead of the boring stories it had in it.
Daniela Rosas
O "Manual do Iniciado" é o livro que todos os que são marcados e que vão para as diversas Casas da Noite têm de ler no seu primeiro ano.
Este livro tem todas as informações necessárias que um iniciado precisa de saber para poder viver em paz com o seu novo mundo.
É através deste livro que ficamos a conhecer alguns rituais e também a história de algumas situações que são repetidas nos diversos volumes da coleção Casa da Noite.
Um livro cheio de magia e de antiguidade que nos leva a conhecer um g
Rhonda
Jul 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Informative and interesting. Makes me wonder if they'll perform the ritual to bring back Zoey that was performed when Drusus tried to bring back Theodora. Only I hope this one is successful and both don't die. I know many readers dislike Zoey but really without her there isn't a storyline. She's the central character that all others off-shoot from. Without her there is no House of Night, only the aftermath that would afflict not just the fledglings but also the vampyres that have been affected b ...more
Christina
Jan 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
I am starting to believe that I am not a fan of handbooks or official guides...I wrote a horrible review of Stephanie Meyer's official guide to "Twilight" because she wrote way too many details and because a good portion of the book didn't have anything to do with the Twilight Series..

I feel the same way about "The Fledgling Handbook 101". The handbook does give some details about how to survive as a newly marked fledgling..However, I often wonder where P.C. Cast got her information for the book
W
Dec 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this! I am a huge fan of the series, so i would obviously think so.

The book introduces you to the physical and mental change that comes with being marked and the history of old vampyres. The illustrations were beautifully done.

It almost reads like a text book for a fledgling, and you can put pictures and your progress of the change in there, which i won't do, don't want to ruin the beautiful book.

There could have been a lot more in it though, but a must have for HON fans!
Catia Leite
Oct 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Pensei que não teria qualquer interesse, então comecei a lê-lo enquanto esperava receber um livro que eu queria mesmo ler, pensando "Quando o outro chegar não vou ter problema em parar de lê-lo". Foi o meu maior erro. Não consegui parar de ler este pequeno livro que tem histórias tão interessantes e é engraçado ver a autora a aproveitar-se da história da humanidade para encaixar lá os vampyros. Aconselho, acho que é uma leitura leve e interessante.
Nicole
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
Honestly this book is pretty cute. It's a nice short read and the pages are brightly coloured. When I originally purchased this I was hoping it would read more like a textbook style for an actual class at this school. Instead it's just some interesting facts and a bit more information into the series just put into an easier to read format. The cover is pretty dope though !
CALYN ★ The Great
Dec 05, 2010 rated it did not like it
Saw this book in NBS last week.
It's so friggin' expensive. o_o
Is it because the pages looks like those in magazines?
And all that's available are hardcover!
Not fair! How can a poor good ol' reader like me
buy something so expensive. ):
Brianna
Oct 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
It was okay for a guide book. we learn about the ritual and how the vampyre changes and things like what happen in the schools. i was hoping to learn more about other places or more about zoey and her friend and why they are special. but oh well.
Immortal Fiction
beautifully crafted, remarkably well-thought out and put together. This is a must for any House of Night fan or collector
LV ♥
Mar 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
Jennifer Christensen
Jul 24, 2011 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: house of night fans
Shelves: vampire-smut, essays
It was $4 on amazon's kindle sale. I couldn't help it.
Brittani
Jul 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Seriously just wanted a book to get me closer to catching up to my goal. Finished this in a couple of hours and I'm happy about that.
Eika
Dec 29, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
un libro che non aggiunge niente alla serie ma spiega come superare la trasformazione e i vari rituali. Una chicca immancabile.
John Naylor
When you have a successful series (as House of Night is) there is always a danger that an author will try and expand it in companion books. These hardly ever work or are as good as the rest of the series. This has proved to be the case here.

Near enough the entire book seems to be a retcon and added to the series as it could be. Both the writing and the plot suffer for this. There are some good ideas. Ideas that could have started a new series. Maybe it would have been better that way. The illust
Tina
Već godinama želim pročitati serijal Kuću noći autorica P.C. i Kristin Cast. Nakon što sam prošle godine kupila svih devet prevedenih knjiga u serijalu, nedostajao mi je prequel serijala, Početnička početnica, koji nikako nisam mogla nabaviti. Srećom, izdavačka kuća (hvala Algoritmu!) bila je tako dobra da su mi poslali prequel, tako da sam napokon spremna za čitanje!

Kad je Početnička početnica stigla kući, bila sam očarana - knjiga je ispunjena predivnim ilustracijama koje oduzimaju dah. Oslika
Weronika
Dec 22, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Meh. Just meh.
Leah3088
i wasnt expecting to learn to much random stuff from history, even if some of it is altered a bit.
Alan D.D.
A great way to get to know better this amazing world I love so much. I would even want to read the entire library of this school just to consider myself another student. HoN rocks!
Brandy Smith
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Every House of Night fan should have this book!!!!! It was very interesting to read. I can't wait to get the last three in the series and the new one obviously.
  • House of Night #2 (House of Night: The Graphic Novel, #2)
  • Keys to the Repository (Blue Bloods, #4.5)
  • Vampire Kisses: The Beginning (Vampire Kisses, #1-3)
  • Bad Blood (Blood Coven Vampire, #4)
  • Night World: The Ultimate Fan Guide
  • The Morganville Vampires, Volume 2 (The Morganville Vampires, #3-4)
  • Bitten (Dangerous Girls, #1-2)
  • Thirst No. 3: The Eternal Dawn (Thirst, #3)
  • Vampire Beach: Volume 2 (Vampire Beach, #3-4)
  • No Time to Die & The Deep End of Fear (Dark Secrets, #3-4)
  • Bloodlust (The Vampire Diaries: Stefan's Diaries, #2)
  • A Visitor's Guide to Mystic Falls: Your Favorite Authors on The Vampire Diaries
PC was born in the Midwest, and grew up being shuttled back-and-forth between Illinois and Oklahoma, which is where she fell in love with Quarter Horses and mythology (at about the same time). After high school, she joined the United States Air Force and began public speaking and writing. After her tour in the USAF, she taught high school for 15 years before retiring to write full time. PC is a #1 ...more
“At that instant I became a blooming lotus flower. The water in which I flourished was a single teardrop from Nyx.” 2 likes
“As a child of the Goddess, I know that when a being dies, the soul lives on. That dying is only a way of forgetting pain and suffering--that it is a pathway to travel back to the Goddess to be renewed and made strong-- to rest and to one day be ready to return to this realm, for it is spoken by the High Priestess...” 1 likes