Start by marking “Concepts, Techniques, and Models of Computer Programming” as Want to Read:
Concepts, Techniques, and Models of Computer Programming

Concepts, Techniques, and Models of Computer Programming

This innovative text presents computer programming as a unified discipline in a way that is both practical and scientifically sound. The book focuses on techniques of lasting value and explains them precisely in terms of a simple abstract machine. The book presents all major programming paradigms in a uniform framework that shows their deep relationships and how and where ...more
Published February 20th 2004 by MIT Press (first published January 1st 2004)

Be the first to ask a question about Concepts, Techniques, and Models of Computer Programming

Start your review of Concepts, Techniques, and Models of Computer Programming
Arek Holko
Mar 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'd read and completed most of the exercises from the Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs (SICP) a couple of months ago. Then I've stumbled on reviews saying that this book is a logical next step in learning the programming language theory. I don't agree with them. It really doesn't add that much. Many topics and examples are just reiterations of those from SICP.
Chapters concerning concurrent programming are well worth reading, but because of the choice of the language (and its ker
Xavier Shay
Aug 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Took a while, but I finally finished this. Plenty of good concepts in here, starting with dataflow variables (I didn't know the concepts) and building all the way up to distributed systems. Quite incredible to see pretty much all the computation models built up from the ground up with the bare minimum of parts. Breathtaking tribute to how simple programming can be.

It's a textbook, and trying to read it as a book rather than as reference for a semester is pretty dense going. In particular I found
Quinn
Apr 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Best programming book I ever read! It gets to the heart of the technology, favoring no one language over another. Comprehensive and should be required reading. Explains what object oriented programming is really about and illuminates it's limitations. First three chapters were a god send. Always found something new each time I re-read it. It's like the gift that keeps on giving. Also, it's free online.
Nick Black
Apr 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Nick by: Alan Fay
Shelves: incredibly-large
whoa, I never moved this to "read", interesting. i went back through a majority of it this Sunday night, writing an outline for PLT...the writing is exceptional, the kind where you immediately realize this will be a textbook a class above the main. excellent bibliography, rich in historical notes, lots of connections. by far the best material on declarative programming outside of Shapiro+Sterling's The Art of Prolog. i deduct one star because their mozart/oz system reminded me overmuch of squeak ...more
Colin Jones
Feb 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Takeaways: (1) dataflow variables (kind of like futures you can wait on even if they've not been defined) make reasoning about concurrency much easier. (2) reasoning about distributed state is possible, but wow. (3) constraint programming is beautiful, and perhaps a bit magical. (4) more available paradigms in a given language seems like a massive, massive win.
Gustavo Bicalho
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mind blowing in diversity and depth of ideas. For me, it was a great introduction to dataflow programming, and the relational and constraint models.
Nikolai Volsky
An ABSLOUTE must-read for all software engineers and programmers and especially so if you work with object-oriented or functional programming language.
Keegan
Nov 08, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: programming
I thought this book would be the holy grail. It is, in a lot of ways. It's an extraordinary book that paves the way for how programming aught to be taught.

It's pragmatic in the sense that it teaches effective problem solving, gradually introducing new ways to accomplish programming tasks. Unlike most intro programming books that only teach within the object-oriented paradigm, CTM teaches OOP as just one way of many. There's a heavy focus on declarative programming and concurrency, and even if yo
Titouan
May 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Interesting read, nice introduction
Hesiyun
May 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Learn a lot about computational models.
Ideas about the models last, not for framework though.
Minh Nhật
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
đọc 900tr cũng nản thật, may lão cũng làm 1 course trên edx nên mệt quá vào coi vid cũng đỡ :'< ...more
Joe
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Everything you wanted to know about programming language paradigms.
Forms a strong basis to being a true language-agnostic polyglot developer.
Larry Staton jr.
Mar 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: computers
One of those books that you need to read several times to really understand. I've read it once so far, but I loved it.
Joe Dumoulin
Feb 28, 2014
Hitendra Solanki
Mar 13, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• And Another Thing... (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #6)
  • So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #4)
  • The Black Cauldron (The Chronicles of Prydain, #2)
  • Mostly Harmless (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #5)
  • The Book of Three (The Chronicles of Prydain, #1)
  • Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? Light Novels, Vol. 1 (Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? Light Novels, #1)
  • ソードアート・オンライン 2: アインクラッド [Sōdo āto onrain 2: Ainkuraddo] (Sword Art Online Light Novel, #2)
  • ソードアート・オンライン 1: アインクラッド [Sōdo āto onrain 1: Ainkuraddo] (Sword Art Online Light Novel, #1)
  • Pattern Recognition and Machine Learning
  • A Briefer History of Time
  • The Jungle
  • Automata, Computability and Complexity: Theory and Applications
  • Modern Compiler Implementation in C
  • Life, the Universe and Everything (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #3)
  • The Ph.D. Grind: A Ph.D. Student Memoir
  • The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Oz, #1)
  • The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master
  • Olive Kitteridge (Olive Kitteridge, #1)

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »