Start by marking “C++ Primer” as Want to Read:
C++ Primer

C++ Primer

" C++ Primer is well known as one of the best books for learning C++ and is useful for C++ programmers of all skill levels. This Fourth Edition not only keeps this tradition alive, it actually improves on it."
--Steve Vinoski, Chief Engineer, Product Innovation, IONA Technologies

" The Primer really brings this large and complex language down to size."
--Justin Shaw, Senior
Paperback, Fourth Edition, 885 pages
Published February 24th 2005 by Addison-Wesley Professional (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about C++ Primer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about C++ Primer

Start your review of C++ Primer
Vladimir
Feb 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: swe
general:
A really good C++ book for beginners. I mean, it probably won't work as the very first book on programming, but if you have some programming background and just want to learn C++, this should work really well. The whole thing is structured very nicely, and in the rare case when you have some questions, they are typically answered on the next page.

personal:
I realized that nobody ever taught me C++ properly, so I decided to try reading a few classic textbooks, starting with the very basics
Heather
Nov 21, 2012 rated it liked it

I've been using this book to brush up on my C++ for interviews - I've been writing C++ for a while, but I've also worked in some environments (embedded) where C++ was written more like C (no use of vectors, strings, etc.), so I needed to brush up on these topics the most.

On that account, I think the book is great (I'd even say 4-star worthy).

However....one thing I found slightly disturbing is that the book seems to imply that learning about pointers and memory management are a thing of the past
Adam Getchell
Dec 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantastic book, and a great learning resource. I initially started with Scott Meyer's "Effective Modern C++: 42 Specific Ways to Improve Your Use of C++11 and C++14", but realized there were too many conceptual gaps I needed to fill. This book was just the ticket. It was about a week-long detour, but essential to further progress. Even though I've "finished" the book, I know I'll go back and refer to sections that I skimmed.
Chip
Dec 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first good C++ intro that fully adopts C++11 style and features. Read it!
Wouter
Sep 20, 2018 rated it liked it
A big help on refreshing my long-gone C++ knowledge that reminded my why it was gone in the first place... This "primer" with 400+ pages sorts out all ambiguities between raw pointers and smart pointers and is loaded with insightful comments, including the new C++11 syntax. Some gripes I had were the weird usage of example code that started from something existing on the web instead of a simple example from zero, and the here and there wrong stresses on certain concepts - but that might have mor ...more
Anton Simakov
Mar 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who does have some programming experience and want to learn C++ the right way.
Shelves: cpp
This book is a good solid introduction to modern C++. It covers a lot of language features and it does so in the right way, i.e. it does not teach you C++ through C as many other books do, but rather introduce the reader directly to modern C++ which is mostly free from its C heritage. The overall structure of the book is quite logical, explanations are thorough and clear, examples are right up to the point.

However, few things should be noted. First, the book is only for those who does have some
Yash E
Jul 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
Least number of examples and exercises. Better as a reference. Digs deep into the concept.
Kazuya Sakakihara
Read to review my C++ knowledge as I haven't used it in production for a while.
Julija
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good for those with prior experience in another programming language. If you're coming from C this is a good choice.
My only issue with it is related to memory management.It focuses mainly on the use of smart pointers implying that you don't have to bother using the regular ones.So it won't teach you how to properly manage memory in a hierarchy of classes for example. Though perhaps that's a more advanced topic.
Still, I don't regret having read it. It thaught me quite a few useful things about OO
一卓 李
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
The book is great, except that I never finish it. It's more like a dictionary rather than a introduction for novice even if it attempts to be one, which is worse because the effort to make it more friendly eventually makes it a dictionary without order.
Radhika Shendye
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: software
Excellent resource for programmers learning C++. It's very lengthy and assumes the reader has programming background. Worth the time and effort.
Garrett Sculthorpe
May 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent text if you are familiar with object oriented programming. Serves as a valuable reference for me using C++ coming from the embedded C world.
Max Markin
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My favorite beginner c++ book.
Myat Phyo Thu
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I learned my C++ 4 years ago from this book together with Stroustrup's "the C++ programming language". And I often come back to some chapters in here when I need reference, like a Bible.
Bharath Nadampalli
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Must read
Hannah
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must-read for those who want to learn C++ systematically.
Luis BG
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Extensive but well structured to pick-and-chose which areas to dive deep into.
Yiren
Jun 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: computer-major
My first textbook of C++. It's a bit difficult for me who only knows some ABCs of php and HTML. Then I start reading Primer Plus, and I would make progress if I read these two through and through. I'll come back to this classics anyway.
Jia Chen
Apr 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Maybe the best book for C++
Dragunov
A comprehensive C++ survey. Skimmed.
Christopher
Jun 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is a pretty good C++ book. Covers everything. I can't really speak any more intelligently on this subject!

Aleksey Timin
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've tried to read it completely, but didn't manage it. Now I think it didn't make sense at all. But this book has become my table-book and never disappointed me.
Tomas Systecon
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: development-tech
A complete and in depth introduction to the C++ language. Very useful for learning as well as a reference.
Zeyuan Hu
Feb 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cs
Bought and read a few paragraphs about pointer manipulations. Then, never have a look at it again. Definitely one of the must-have tool books.
Michael
Oct 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Very thorough, covers all the basics and advanced topics, very good index.
BlankSeed
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: stem
This boos provides an easy to understand and thorough guide to C++. It is very helpful for beginners to step into C++.
zltg
Dec 02, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tech
Well organized and comprehensive.
Kikim
May 18, 2011 added it
goooood!!
Ling Wang
Jul 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cpp
If you can only read one C++ book it is the one.
Simon
May 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Grate intro to C++
Exercise Answer? 1 11 Mar 30, 2015 12:23AM

• The C++ Programming Language
  • The C Programming Language
  • Effective C++: 55 Specific Ways to Improve Your Programs and Designs
  • Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs (MIT Electrical Engineering and Computer Science)
  • Introduction to Algorithms
  • Thinking in Java
  • Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment
  • The Clean Coder: A Code of Conduct for Professional Programmers
  • Cracking the Coding Interview: 150 Programming Questions and Solutions
  • The Effective Executive: The Definitive Guide to Getting the Right Things Done
  • C Primer Plus
  • Modern C++ Design: Generic Programming and Design Patterns Applied
  • The Art of Computer Programming: Volume 3: Sorting and Searching

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »