Start by marking “The Day Before Forever and Thunderhead” as Want to Read:
The Day Before Forever and Thunderhead

The Day Before Forever and Thunderhead

The Day Before Forever:
The year was 2103. The place was Earth. And time-voyager Steve Dravek had already found out too much for his numbed brain to absorb. About the science of Cryonics, the freezing of human beings. About the visas caried by every man, woman and child - permits for living and for dying. About the reign of terror that enveloped Earth. Now, gun in hand,
Published 1968 by Dell

To ask other readers questions about The Day Before Forever and Thunderhead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Day Before Forever and Thunderhead

Start your review of The Day Before Forever and Thunderhead
Lars Dradrach
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paper
3 stars for the story and an extra for a rediscovered story from my early teens that still holds up.

Two very different short stories from the late sixties from the very overlooked and nearly forgotten Keith Laumer.

The Day Before Forever is classic action sci-fa in style of early Heinlein, a man awakes without a memory a slowly puts the pieces together while discovering a world several hundred years after the one he was born in.

Thunderhead a bittersweet story about a forgotten corporal on an
Jim
Apr 25, 2018 rated it liked it
A fast read of a typical pulpish 60s-type science fiction story (actually from 1968). By Keith Laumer (1925-1993), one of the more prolific SF authors of the 60s. I consider him an average SF author, with some good stories, but nothing outstanding (as far as I know!). This one is typical Laumer. Steve Dravek wakes up in the future-the year 2103. And it's a bummer-the world is controlled by a dictatorship. But Steve is a tough guy, if not a superman, and he's ready to take on the global tyranny. ...more
Craig
Jun 17, 2018 rated it liked it
The Day Before Tomorrow is a hard-boiled mystery with an interesting twist on the time-travel-through-cryogenics theme. It hasn't aged as well as one might wish, but it's good for Laumer fans. I preferred Thunderhead, the shorter of the two, a military story of duty and honor that would have been right at home in Campbell's Astounding alongside stories like Theodore Cogswell's The Specter General.
tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sf
review of
Keith Laumer's "The Day Before Forever" and "Thunderhead"
by tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE - March 30, 2015

Ok, regular readers of my reviews may know by now that when I read a Keith Laumer bk it's b/c I'm extremely depressed & I want something simple & undemanding to read to tide me over while I try to recoup my energies. It's kindof like taking a laxative to get the Fallon out of you.

The weird thing about this one is that I'm sure I read the Thunderhead story before but I can't
Traummachine
Dec 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Laumer’s always tough for me to review. I love the gritty, action-oriented pulp feel of his stories, they’re fast, fun, and engaging. But the toxic manliness that he felt compelled to infuse in the whole thing is grating. The only emotions are oh so masculine. The only female characters are there as love interests at best, “conquests” at worst. I get that it was the 60s, but...I really enjoy some aspects of his fiction, but I always have to brace for impact.

This was a collection of a couple
John
D. E.
Jan 22, 2018

• Nightflyers
  • There Is No Darkness
  • Asimov's Science Fiction, June 2002 (Asimov's Science Fiction, #317)
  • The Year of the Quiet Sun
  • The Impossible World
  • Jewels of the Dragon
  • Asimov's Science Fiction, October/November 2002 (Asimov's Science Fiction, #321-322)
  • Asimov's Science Fiction, July 2002 (Asimov's Science Fiction, #318)
  • A Coming of Age
John Keith Laumer was an American science fiction author. Prior to becoming a full-time writer, he was an officer in the U.S. Air Force and a U.S. diplomat. His brother March Laumer was also a writer, known for his adult reinterpretations of the Land of Oz (also mentioned in Keith's The Other Side of Time).

Keith Laumer (aka J.K Laumer, J. Keith Laumer) is best known for his Bolo stories and his