Start by marking “Concepts of Programming Languages” as Want to Read:
Concepts of Programming Languages

Concepts of Programming Languages

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  280 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews

Concepts of Programming Languages is ideal for undergraduate students in Computer Science and Computer Programming courses. It is an ideal reference encapsulating the history and future of programming languages.

Now in its Ninth Edition, Concepts of Programming Languages introduces students to the main constructs of contemporary programming languages and provides the to

Hardcover, 9th edition, 696 pages
Published April 2nd 2009 by Addison-Wesley (first published October 1st 1988)

Andrew Klem
Jan 13, 2014 rated it did not like it
This book contained a lot of information, but it was about as dry as a book can be, and the outside didn't give a clear idea of what the inside was going to cover. "Concepts of Programming Languages" is an absurdly poor title. Can you imagine picking up a book called "Concepts of Math"? What would even be in that? Or "Concepts of Poodles"? There's a reason you haven't seen that last one on the shelves. A title like that is nearly meaningless.

I was extremely interested in the topics covered by th
Nick Black
I TA'd CS3411 with this book, and it impressed me at the time. Lots of good tidbits. The chapter on denotational semantics is utterly stillborn -- I remember it so incomplete and confusing even after eight years that I mustn't allow more than three dankstars.
Navid
May 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book, I would say it is introduction to the topic.The only problem I had with this book is author choices of languages. For example he could chose better more modern languages like Go, Rust, ErLang, etc instead of something like Ada.
Andrew
Programming languages are good!
Andrew
Jul 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seemed to cover the content well. I only read the chapters required for class.
Realmirror
Mar 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
concept of programming
Christopher Brehm
Dec 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technical, own
Very well laid out. Easy to read and find information. I still use this as a reference.
Headsink headsink
The interviews were interesting.
Nima Omidan
Sebesta has got an ease pen on this book.introducing new languages come after the complete history of age of languages.
Alftheo Potgieter
Jul 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love reading stuff like this, it's filled with anecdotes about obscure computer language facts and events, and has interviews with language designers
  • Programming Language Pragmatics
  • Essentials of Programming Languages
  • Computer Organization & Design: The Hardware/Software Interface
  • Algorithms in C, Parts 1-4: Fundamentals, Data Structures, Sorting, Searching
  • PROLOG: Programming for Artificial Intelligence
  • Artificial Intelligence: Structures and Strategies for Complex Problem Solving
  • Introduction to Java Programming: Comprehensive Version
  • Operating System Concepts
  • Beginning Linux Programming
  • Computer Networks
  • Seven Languages in Seven Weeks
  • Operating Systems
  • Fundamentals of Database Systems
  • Pro Html5 Programming: Powerful APIs for Richer Internet Application Development
  • Lex & Yacc
  • Objects First with Java: A Practical Introduction Using BlueJ
  • Java Examples in a Nutshell: A Companion Volume to Java in a Nutshell
  • Foundations of Computer Science: C Edition

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »