Start by marking “How To Control Your Anxiety Before It Controls You” as Want to Read:
How To Control Your Anxiety Before It Controls You

How To Control Your Anxiety Before It Controls You

Our own irrational attitudes and beliefs often influence our feelings of anger, fear, and anxiety. Only when we examine and understand our false ideas and their harmful effects can we begin to loosen their grip on us. If we change our mindset, we can control our relationships with other people and our reactions to the events in our lives. This is the core of Rational Emoti ...more
Published 1998 by Citadel

Emma Giordano
A great introduction to the world of rational emotive behavior therapy!

CW: anxiety, depression

Despite what the title may convey, I believe this book is not exactly a self-help book. While it absolutely provides direction that may be applicable to people struggling with anxiety, I believe the format is more theory-focused and scholarly. If you're looking to learn more about how to view anxiety through an REBT lens, this is a great start! But if you're looking for a book to help you cope with your
Daniel Slabodar
Jun 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is a very useful how-to for people who suffers general anxiety disorder and light depression because of it, to be more precise it is a "lifting" book for those thinking the world is going to end very soon, or NOW. The book gives very nice hints and how-toes for self help during emotion downs and nothingness, when anxiety comes over or even panic attacks. This book was a great lifter for me during my bad periods and helped me a lot.
Bry
Aug 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology
I love Albert Ellis and his pragmatic, albeit removed, approach to recovery. Ellis may not possess the warmth of Carl Rogers, but his advice is practical, uncomplicated, and has the potential to be very effective.

The humourous tone is refreshing, but may not be helpful for people who are in a particularly dark frame of mind. Furthermore, the exposure exercises may be daunting for some; readers hoping to improve their anxiety must be diligent and strongly motivated.
Heba
Mar 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
Its bad not to remember any thing about a psychological book after finishing it, right ._. !
Fernando Rainho
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excellent psychotherapy - do it yourself- book! Not 5 stars because sometimes get a little repetitive on the arguments.
Kim
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
listened to this on youtube and found it interesting
Bernard O'Leary
Curiosity from the early days of CBT. Not sure many modern therapists would advise you tackle your social anxiety by hitting on girls at the park.
Chris Esposo
An interesting and useful book on Albert Ellis' Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy (REBT), a precursor to the modern Cognitive Behavior Therapies (CBT) that are currently popular with people. Unlike Buddhist Mindfulness training, where one seeks to expunge thought from one's mind for a prolonged period of time, to enhance serenity and increase focus capacity, REBT, like CBT is designed to address neurotic and other relevant thoughts through a rational assessment of the notion, to minimize exagger ...more
Catherine
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very informative for those studying to become a psychiatrist, psychologist, counselor etc. repetitive in some areas but when learning new information to apply to patients this could be useful.
Unfinished Thoughts
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is difficult to follow and gives two main ways to control anxiety, namely: 1) change your thoughts and talk yourself into being less anxious, and 2) face your fears that make you anxious to get rid of anxiety. However, the book is very thorough and immensely researched, drawing from almost all important researchers on the topic of anxiety ever! It also provides many other perspectives on anxiety and little things and tricks to control anxiety in ordinary situations that could be put in ...more
Phillip
I'm glad Albert Ellis lived and did the work he did. His books sound good. The thing I always remember is that these authors are offering the reader something we want to believe. That is only a warning.

That doesn't make it snake oil. The message is that each of us believe nutty things because we are fallible humans. We can get better and change things in our lives with continuous work. This sounds to me like truth and not a gimmick.

The same is true of dieting and fitness. They only work if a p
Abraham
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: misc-non-fiction
Anyone struggling with social anxiety should definitely try Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). My understanding is that the author of this book created another, similar system called Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy (REBT). This book will give you some insight into how and why he created it, and how much credit he gives himself for it. But if you're looking for a step-by-step guide to combating your social anxiety, like I was, you should try "The Shyness and Social Anxiety Workbook" by Anthony ...more
Steve
Feb 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wanted to read some Ellis and learn about Rational Emotive Behavior Theory. Pretty common sensical-- practical and helpful psychology.
Aistė
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tikrai gera knyga apie nerimo kontroliavimą ir ne tik. Tinka ir pykčiui, nepasitenkinimui ir kitoms emocijoms. Lengvai skaitoma, su konkrečiais praktiniais patarimais ir, svarbiausia, parašyta profesionalo. Rekomenduočiau kiekvienam.
Paulette
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good tips for controlling anxiety.
Guillermo  Quirós
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: albert-ellis
Un libro que me ayudo a comprender mi ansiedad y como irla controlando. Me sentí muy indentificado con el libro. Recomendado para personas con trastornos de ansiedad. También recomendado para cualquier persona me gusta mucho como aborda el tema el señor Ellis. La Terapia Racional Emotiva conductal es una técnica muy buena. Me ayudado mucho. Lo recomiendo.
Gloria Elena .
Jun 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Libro de autoayuda escrito por el psicólogo Albert Ellis, creador de la Terapia Racional Emotiva Conductual. Resume los principios de la TREC, son nuestras interpretaciones sobre los hechos los que generan nuestro malestar emocional.
Leí este libro como parte de las lecturas del grupo de estudio de psicología, en el Instituto Albert Ellis de Cali, Colombia.
Belle
Feb 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
Very literal logical approach to getting over anxiety. Not much for physical anxiety. A lot seemed rather obvious, like very basic philosophy.
David Eusebiu
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology
This book teach me how to think.Good book.
Ruby
Jul 20, 2016
Jurga
Feb 03, 2018

• Counter Clockwise: Mindful Health and the Power of Possibility
  • The Right Kind of Crazy: A True Story of Teamwork, Leadership, and High-Stakes Innovation
  • Stop Obsessing!: How to Overcome Your Obsessions and Compulsions
  • The Uses of Pessimism: And the Danger of False Hope
  • Reimagined: How amazing people design lives they love
  • The Art of Taking Action: Lessons from Japanese Psychology
  • The OCD Workbook: Your Guide to Breaking Free from Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
  • Blood Rites: Origins and History of the Passions of War
  • Overcoming Obsessive Thoughts: How to Gain Control of Your OCD
  • Do Nothing!: How to Stop Overmanaging and Become a Great Leader
  • Counseling with Choice Theory: The New Reality Therapy
  • Money and the Meaning of Life
  • How to Be a High School Superstar: A Revolutionary Plan to Get into College by Standing Out (Without Burning Out)
  • God Wants You to Be Rich: How and Why Everyone Can Enjoy Material and Spiritual Wealth in Our Abundant World
  • Cognitive Therapy and the Emotional Disorders
  • The Mayo Clinic Handbook for Happiness: A Four-Step Plan for Resilient Living
  • On Evil
  • The Little Red Book
Albert Ellis was an American psychologist who in 1955 developed Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy (REBT). He held M.A. and Ph.D. degrees in clinical psychology from Columbia University and American Board of Professional Psychology (ABPP). He also founded and was the President of the New York City-based Albert Ellis Institute for decades.
He is generally considered to be one of the originators of th
“Keep my desires and goals in mind. Don’t insist that they must or must not be fulfilled. Let me work unfrantically to achieve them. REBT” 2 likes
“Having some support and the reassurance that my family, friends, or others will help me when I am anxious will often reduce my anxiety and panic. But because such support and reassurance may not exist or may not continue, I’d better not rely on it solely. I also had better gain self-confidence and self-support. 8.” 1 likes