Start by marking “Introducing Stephen Hawking (Introducing (Graphic Guides))” as Want to Read:
Introducing Stephen Hawking (Introducing (Graphic Guides))

Introducing Stephen Hawking (Introducing (Graphic Guides))

Introducing Stephen Hawking is a brilliantly conceived introduction to Hawking's work, ranging from Einstein's Theory of Relativity to Black Holes and the Big Bang. It also explains Hawking's research into Quantum Gravity, which could emerge as a Theory of Everything. ...more
Paperback, Fourth Edition, 176 pages
Published August 15th 2005 by Icon Books LTD (first published July 11th 1991)

Start your review of Introducing Stephen Hawking (Introducing (Graphic Guides))
ItsSyryus
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An exceptional and wonderful book! Whole review will be posted on Instagram at: @fantasyryus
Carys
Jul 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Bob Nichols
This is a frustrating book. Key ideas are tossed out without much or with no explanatory text about how the authors got to their bottom line.* Much of the illustration and text is about Hawking as a personality, functioning at the highest intellectual level despite his disability, with the text breezing through his ideas.

Hawking’s singularity theory, the authors write, is “a point at which time comes to an end and the laws of physics break down.” Does this mean that time is the movement/dissipa
Mohamed IBrahim
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book

This book is the best book I read about the Stephen hawking contributions to cosmological, yes it is very simple and avoid the technical details and depend on the mental pictures just as hawking himself used to do after his ALS.
Di Salas
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful read. While very light (can be easily read in an afternoon while enjoying the wonderful pictures), it doesn't shy away from the concepts it has to explain in order to understand the Professor's legacy.

Every concept shown is first introduced in its historical context: where were we before? What did we know? And which ideas were floating in the air? It moves from the beginning of the XXth Century, when science was believed to be finished, to the atomic revolution during WWII, introduci
Eloise Sunshine
Mar 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I must say I did enjoy every single page of this book! If you care to take interest into our universe and how things work in it, then this book is definitely a good place to start your journey of discovery and gathering of knowledge.

I don't remember much of the physics taught back in school and I was probably also rarely attending the classes. It was no obstacle to perfectly well understand the theories and natural laws described in here. Perhaps I thought a few times there could've been a littl
Ansove
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was very great.
Allthatcraic
Really interesting and a good introduction to Hawkins's theory and astrophysics for those like me who did physics only until the GSCE. ...more
Icon Books
Nov 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: popular-science

'An ideal introduction' Independent 'Astonishingly comprehensive - clearer than Hawking himself' Focus

Stephen Hawking is the world-famous physicist with a cameo in "The Simpsons on his CV", but outside his academic field his work is little understood. To the public he is a tragic figure - a brilliant scientist and author of the 9 million-copy-selling "A Brief History of Time", and yet confined to a wheelchair and almost completely paralysed. Hawking's major contribution to science has been to in
Bader
Nov 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: science
It was a lovely journey.
Granthana Sinha
Sep 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Introducing Stephen Hawking: a graphic guide by J. P. McEvoy & Oscar Zarate

📓Genre: Biography Science Graphic Novel

Star: 🌟🌟🌟🌟

🔖I wasn't exactly planning to read a biography, but the first few pages kept me captivated & I ended up finishing the book in a couple of days.
🔖The book not only talks about Stephen Hawking's scientific achievements, but also beautifully highlights the life's works of the world-famous physicist with simple diagrams for better understanding.
🔖Stuck with motor neurone di
gabriellalodia
I didn't expect that I would've truly, truly enjoyed this book! I had several of the introducing series and this one definitely will stay on the top list. The writer and illustrator didn't only talk about Hawking's life per se, but also the basics of Newton Laws and Einstein's contribution in physics, as well as some other scientists who was working on similar topic!

I've been learning physics since middle school but this is the first time that I came to truly appreciate the beauty of it. Also, h
Gulo
Sep 13, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great intro/refresher.  Passed on to middle school aged neighbor after reading.

My one takeaway quote:

"The uncertainty principle, as elucidated by Werner Heisenberg in 1927, states that there are limits on how accurately we can observe certain physical quantities, such as position, momentum, energy and even time.  This is not a limit on our instruments but an inherent characteristic of the Universe, which does not reveal any (emphasis in original) quantity with absolute precision."

-McEvoy and Za
Shobhit
The book introduces contributions Stephen Hawking made to scientific world. The author tried to make the concepts understandable to someone having basic science background.

I missed reading more about Hawkings personal life, challenges. Hawking told the author that he feels he is lucky to have got ALS but still having sharp mind. But going deeper into his lifestyle is something I wanted to read more.

The book is good read to get general idea of Einstein theory of relativity, quantum physics and th
Johannes Duckeck
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biographies
One of the better Introducing... books! This one goes in depth on its subject, but also does a good job of imparting knowledge of the surrounding topics and necessary background information. It ties them in very smoothly and balances peripheral and specific Hawking knowledge perfectly.

My only complaint about this book is that it hasn’t been revised or appended since its release in 1995, despite being released in a new format. It does seem quite dated.
Prabin_p
Apr 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
The book makes for a nice reading at leisure. It suites complete beginers to physics or people with no science background as they get to follow the creation of a genius in view of the theories he proposes. Following the line of theories that make our present understanding of the cosmos today is a great journey put into the book with astonishing clarity and ease.
Even people with a physics background will find the development of the story interesting and the graphics just makes it better.
Megha Kumar
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An amazing introduction to the works of the great Hawking. His famous theories relating to black holes and the origin of the universe; "Quantum Gravity", and the theories will lead to it, all of this condensed and put forth incredibly.
A little intimidating at first, with all the excess of information, but worth a plunge!
Snehasish Nayak
Jul 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is more concerned about the brief history of the advancements in the field of Cosmology, and Astrophysics rather than Stephen Hawking only. From Einstein's theory of Relativity to Hawking's Radiation every term can be found inside it. However, It does not include the deep technical descriptions about them. Which makes the book easy to understand by a layman. ...more
Bob
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Has all the information about cosmology that I ever want to know. I was impressed by the efforts of the researchers into this subject; I do not have high confidence in their conclusions. Maybe they are more or less right, maybe not.

Persephonie
Oct 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I don’t know how much of this information will stick in my head, but it was a very interesting and comprehensive look at Stephen Hawking’s contributions to cosmology as well as other attributing minds.

Dan Cohen
Well written and illustrated.
Kevin Zamora
Perspectives, insight, thought provoking for median knowledge.
Rakesh
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science
Good as a introductory book on concepts. Touches on all physics without the hardcore maths. Worth keeping on your shelf as the illustrations are superb and makes it a interesting read
Mark Sullivan
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice book on a difficult topic

I would recommend this book to those who know a little bit of physics and need a simple explanation. I liked the organization of the material.
Miko Murray
Dec 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Cris Cruz
Good book

Good book visually, not many pictures for a graphic guide but I guess thats the point, enough graphics to go along with your reading.
Corrie Aw.
Apr 11, 2020 marked it as not-finished
Cant't remember what I read for even two minutes and decided to give up. Physics somehow go over my head. ...more
Chris
Apr 04, 2011 rated it liked it
At first glance it appears to be a little comic book about Stephen Hawking. Closer to the truth is that it's a little comic book about quantum mechanics, black hole properties, singularities, etc (even better). Highly superficial and light, but at least this cursory introduction uses diagrams rather than scary equations. I approve. ...more
Erok
Oct 22, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I still don't understand quantum physics, black holes, and space. Maybe a leeetle bit more, but not really. oh well.
So Hakim
Feb 01, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: physics
Decent coverage about renowned cosmologist Stephen Hawking. More to biography than covering his ideas, though.

• أقدم لك الفلسفة
  • Introducing Relativity: A Graphic Guide (Introducing...)
  • Introducing Mathematics: A Graphic Guide (Introducing...)
  • Introducing Logic: A Graphic Guide
  • Introducing Psychology: A Graphic Guide
  • Introducing Economics: A Graphic Guide (Introducing...)
  • Introducing Particle Physics: A Graphic Guide
  • Introducing Buddha: A Graphic Guide (Introducing...)
  • Introducing Newton
  • Darwin for Beginners
  • Introducing Postmodernism
  • Case Closed, Vol. 1 (Meitantei Conan #1)
  • Introducing Descartes
  • Sophie Washington: Code One
  • Tricks of the Trade (Hardy Boys, #104)
  • The Goat and Her Kid
  • Heads, You Lose (Goosebumps HorrorLand, #15)
  • Disney's The Little Mermaid