Start by marking “Web Analytics 2.0: The Art of Online Accountability & Science of Customer Centricity [With CDROM]” as Want to Read:

Adeptly address today's business challenges with this powerful new book from web analytics thought leader Avinash Kaushik. "Web Analytics 2.0" presents a new framework that will permanently change how you think about analytics. It provides specific recommendations for creating an actionable strategy, applying analytical techniques correctly, solving challenges such as ...more
Published October 1st 2009 by Sybex

To ask other readers questions about Web Analytics 2.0, please sign up.
Attawee J They are different. Web Analytics 2.0 is more on strategic thinking, while Web Analytics: An Hour a Day is more on practicing. Hope this helps :-)

Start your review of Web Analytics 2.0: The Art of Online Accountability & Science of Customer Centricity [With CDROM]
Alvaro Berrios
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book essentially taught me that everything I thought I knew about web analytics was either wrong, incomplete or skewed and really shed new light on me on how to analyze web data. I can honestly say that 95% of what I know now with regards to web analytics has come from this book. I love Avniash's focus on actionable insights and he explains everything in a way that makes it easy for you to implement.

With good writing, good visuals and easy-to-follow instructions, this is a must-read for
Liz
Jul 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Lots of good information, but there are no descriptions for any software or how to get the reports seen in the book. I am trying to recreate these reports using Google Analytics, Coremetrics and Omniture. It seems that most of the reports are the standard reports out of Google Analytics, but I am having a difficult time recreating some of these with other software.

I think this was a great book, but I have a few things I disagree with:

Page 85, he says if he could only have one report, it would be
Brijesh Bolar
Best Book on Web Analytics.. The most comprehensive and the most cited book on Web Analytics. I found this book to be a good companion for my Master Certification in Web Analytics at Market Motive with Avinash Kaushik. This book has everything that is there in his blog Occam's Razor but the book is more organized and structured for anyone new to Web Analytics to get a feel of the responsibility involved. What is not covered in the book is Avinash's framework on measuring the performance of your ...more
Daniel Miesner
Jan 25, 2010 rated it liked it
Avinash knows his stuff, that's for sure. While at times I found myself skimming sections (mainly in the e-commerce section, as I work on content sites) his insights were pretty solid. If you've dabbled in Analytics, especially his favorite from Google, then you probably already know a bit of what he's talking about in this book. Maybe even most of what he's saying. Despite that, Avinash does help focus one's lens on what is important for your business and your analytics. Insistence on core ...more
Phoenix
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technology
After Reading This You'll Never Look At A Web Page in the Same Way Again!

This is the 2nd book on the topic of Analytics that I've read, the first beingSams Teach Yourself Google Analytics in 10 Minutes. The first gave me a technical understanding of how web site information was collected and an overview of the kinds of reports that can be generated. Kaushik's book complemented this by looking at a much broader range of tools and by performing and in depth discussion of which metrics are
Marcus Österberg
Aug 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: analytics
Interesting read. Becoming somewhat dated but still holds its own. A bit repetitive and all over the place subject-wise, but got a solid intro to all things web analytics.
Deepak Shah
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Avinash is brilliant. I read it, re-read it, and re-read it to absorb everything that the man has to say.

Implementing just bits of pieces of this book on various online assets worked wonders for me. Segmentation, and sticking to a "critical few" helped me set my priorities right.

Moreover, the book talks in length about things like data reconciliation, defining core matrices, and has wealth of other information that narrows down the focus.

I have highlighted about 100 different things in this
Tushar Malpote
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It took me than 1 month to read this book. Every page is filled with tons of knowledge. Though written on web analytics, it is the book which clears the basics of data analytics. After this book, you may experience the change in perspective to view the data & draw insights. I loved this book. You will too.
Giustino Borzacchiello
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: safari, 53challenge
I've always wanted to learn more about web analytics.
But everything I read was either too simple or too advanced: this book was simply great because it explained the ideas behind the strategies, not only a step-by-step approach.
Ann McDowell
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Although published in 2010, this book remains highly relevant for crafting your analytics strategy. What to measure, why to measure it, and how to present it. Recommended for anyone doing web analytics.
Justin Samaniego
Dec 27, 2017 marked it as to-read
Recommended by my MBA Digital Marketing Professor, Lil Mohan
Mary
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my go-to authors for digital marketing and analytics. Forward thinking and practical.
Gin
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book will leave nothing out from the world of web analytics. Anyone doing any business that is connected to online (so everyone) should read this book.
Alvin Bell Jr.
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredible!

The most enlightening book on web analytics. Even though this book was written a few years ago, the approach still perfectly aligns with today’s marketing landscape
Jennie Ji
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
The first half is quite useful to help me understand the performance from data.
Miles
Jan 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
A web analysts bible.. Simple
Hashem Ahmed
Mar 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014, marketing
A must-read for anyone in the digital marketing field! This book taught me a lot as I am new to the field so my review is based on being an amateur.

This book lays the foundation of understanding the prospect of customers and e-commerce not only on the web but also on mobile, social and offline. Avinash has an interesting way of making you understand what is analytics and what techniques and steps that you should take in order to become an analytics ninja. You don't need to be technically sound
Jeff Standard
Jan 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
A solid introductory text to website analytics. A good blend of theory with tactics over a wide range of example websites and scenarios. I already knew the basics of web analytics and still walked away with some good nuggets. My only major issue with the book was the mobile chapter was weak which may have been partially due to the lack of sophisticated tools at the time writing. Unfortunately the whole chapter seemed rushed and crammed in to seem relevant. That said, even mobile PMs can apply a ...more
Shaun
Sep 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: web-programming
Whether you're new to web analytics or you've been in the industry for some time but are looking to expand your horizons, you can't go wrong with this book. This book starts by educating people on how the old ways of assessing success on the web are inadequate and dives right in to how you can quickly obtain actionable insights with some web analysis. Later on, it touches on emerging concepts form which even some seasoned analysts will benefit, such as assessing your competition, attributing ...more
Lady Jane
Mar 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is an essential to any social media marketer's library. Not only will it help you discover which metrics matter to your executives (the HiPPOs), it will help you decide which ones may or may not work for your company. This is more of a textbook-style type of book, so it's better to refer to it as needed than consuming it from beginning to end as you would a novel. It's great for reference and to search topics as you go along in your career. It gives an excellent framework to apply to ...more
Sean Howard
Mar 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I can't say I ever would have expected (or believe possible) that I would read a book with a title like this and be glued to it. Nor would I expect to have found it to be one of the best books of the year.

But that is exactly what happened on both counts.

Now, it so happens that the agency I'm at is struggling to fill a measurement gap in our offering. So take my recommendation with a small grain of salt.

But I can say without question that you can hand this book to someone at just about any level
Katie
Feb 01, 2012 rated it liked it
To be up front, I didn't read this entire book. I was going to, but it was too technical. I had purchased it to learn Google Analytics on my own, but I ended up reading it as part of an analytics MOOC. The class coupled parts of this book with materials from Google's how-to guides on their website. I found the Google materials and other articles to be more helpful overall. I was coming to GA as a communications person looking for insights, not as a programmer / developer looking to implement the ...more
Cheng Gao
Feb 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
It gives a good introduction to web analytics. It gave me a general view and second-hand experience of web analytics. It guided me to start to do web analytics. The data analysis it talked about in the book is nice and simple from both business and statistics point of view. I learned a lot from this book. It can be better if it is more interesting to read.
Dave Applegate
Dec 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Excellent survey of Web Analytics. I love Avinash's crusade on meaningful data and using data to actually make actionable changes. In addition to discussing all aspects of Web Analytics, he describes the political side of helping your organization embrace web data driven decisions. My only critiques are he doesn't go into enough depth on VOC & is too repetitive on some topics.
Michalyn
Jan 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2010
I read this for work and at over 400 pages it's not a page turner by any means, but was surprisingly engaging and easy to read considering it's a book about web analytics. I haven't read Kaushik's previous book so I have nothing to compare this to but I found Web Analytics 2.0 to provide a solid overview of analytics for the novice and was full of insights that I will come back to again.
Shirley
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An excellent introduction to the current web analytics toolset. I highly recommend it.

Web analytics have come a long way from the first baby steps back in the late 1990s - and this book by Avinash Kaushik is a thorough introduction to the current state-of-the-art. A must-read for marketing and business people, user experience designers and web site architects.

Allison
Dec 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I think the term "analytics" is getting tired, so once I got past the title of this book I thought it was great. It's a good overview of online data analysis. While it's very ecomm centric, Kaushik's core principles are applicable across industries.
Tai
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Despite the fact that the author uses phrases like "Next, let's really get jiggy with it" when discussing data analysis (1997 called and wants its word back) this book is still probably the best all around overview for understanding website data.
Ed
Mar 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: digital-strategy
Required reading for anyone seeking to quantifiably deliver value online. One for marketers, analysts, analytics boffins, testers, designers, developers and researchers. Filled with applicable examples, relevant instances and in-depth investigations. A meaty, worthy analytics bible.
Andrew
Aug 01, 2014 rated it liked it
This book is a little too long. I think if it took a narrower focus, it would have been easier to read. It started to drag, maybe folks who are less experienced than I would appreciate it more but since it was aimed at busy professionals, I think the book itself should have been leaner.
Problems 1 9 Aug 18, 2010 01:39PM

• Business Model Generation
  • Running Lean: Iterate from Plan A to a Plan That Works
  • The Four Steps to the Epiphany: Successful Strategies for Startups That Win
  • Everybody Writes: Your Go-To Guide to Creating Ridiculously Good Content
  • SELL LIKE CRAZY: How to Get As Many Clients, Customers and Sales As You Can Possibly Handle
  • UX for Lean Startups
  • Letting Go of the Words: Writing Web Content that Works
  • Engage: The Complete Guide for Brands and Businesses to Build, Cultivate, and Measure Success in the New Web
  • User Story Mapping: Discover the Whole Story, Build the Right Product
  • Succeeding with Agile: Software Development Using Scrum
  • Successful Analytics E-Book 1: Gain Business Insights By Managing Google Analytics

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
“I believe that most websites suck because HiPPOs create them. HiPPO is an acronym for the “Highest Paid Person’s Opinion.” 6 likes