Start by marking “Theological Interpretation of Scripture” as Want to Read:
Theological Interpretation of Scripture

Theological Interpretation of Scripture

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  38 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
Description: Christians have been interpreting Scripture with an aim of deepening their life with God and each other from the very beginning of the church. The past twenty years or so have witnessed an explosion of scholarly writing devoted to the theological interpretation of Scripture. Stephen Fowl, as an active participant in and contributor to the burgeoning literature ...more
Published August 1st 2009 by Cascade Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Theological Interpretation of Scripture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Theological Interpretation of Scripture

Chuck
Sep 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very readable overview of the key issues in Theological Interpretation. Fowl presents an invitation to the party/discussion that is hard to resist. He makes the reader want to know more about how reading Scripture contributes to a deeper life for the church.

As is true of most Theological Interpretation literature I've read, the emphasis of reading as a church in light of the church's past reading is a much needed corrective to the highly individualistic reading presented by most hermeneutical a
Glenn Crouch
Dec 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
When I was about a third of the way through, I was tempted to give up on this book, as I wasn't certain where the Author was going. Whilst there were many well written, and even thought-provoking, passages for me they seemed disjoint. However about halfway through this small book things things seem to gel. I became quite engage with the Author's examination of Figural Reading and Ecclesial Practices.

As expected in a "Companion" book, there are many good references in the final chapter - with exp
Don Kauffman
Sep 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
I thought Fowl gave an interesting approach to interpreting Scripture! I was looking for a book to help teach a class in the church about "how to read your Bible," and I found extremely helpful insight on the general topic of how to approach scripture.

Favorite image from the book:
"Scripture is the vehicle that God provides for us to travel to our true home along the road established by the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus."
Nathan Whitley
Jun 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
Mr. Fowl spills his liberal theological gobbledygook all over the pages of this uninteresting book.
Радостин Марчев
Кратко, много четливо въведение в течението на богословското тълкуване, което през последните десетилетия набира доста привърженици. Без човек да очаква прекалено много в книгата има някои бележки.
Jeremiah Jones