Start by marking “Succeeding with Agile: Software Development Using Scrum” as Want to Read:
Succeeding with Agile: Software Development Using Scrum

Succeeding with Agile: Software Development Using Scrum

(A Mike Cohn Signature Book)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  1,623 ratings  ·  66 reviews
Proven, 100% Practical Guidance for Making Scrum and Agile Work in Any Organization.

This is the definitive, realistic, actionable guide to starting fast with Scrum and agile–and then succeeding over the long haul. Leading agile consultant and practitioner Mike Cohn presents detailed recommendations, powerful tips, and real-world case studies drawn from his unparalleled exp
Published October 1st 2009 by Addison-Wesley Professional (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Succeeding with Agile, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Succeeding with Agile

really liked it 4.00  ·

Arjen
Jun 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book about the practice of implementing scrum in your organisation. The theory of scrum is a relatively easy to grasp concept but the actual implementation will more often than not leave you with practical questions.

You can read the book cover to cover but depending on your background and situation you can also cherry pick the chapters you need. Each chapter is packed with handy tips ('things to try now'), typical 'objections' (and counter arguments) and clear diagrams.

What I also like
Ahmed Salem
Sep 17, 2014 rated it liked it
The book is focusing on only one thing "How to adapt Agile development (successfully)"! It is business oriented book, so don't expect so much for a cut through plan for agile development process to jump working right now!

It is very recommended for a project manager rather than a developer or a team leader!
Jen
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I would highly recommend this book for those who are transitioning to Agile. In particular, I thought the book was well laid out to cover salient points throughout and easily could be read both sequentially or for the busy exec by jumping to a chapter of a particular topic you couldn't wait to learn more about. The "Things to Try Now" tips throughout the chapters I found very helpful and full of immediate, practical advice. The "Additional Reading" at the end of each chapter was also something I ...more
Aleksander
Sep 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Aleksander by: Mike Cohn

If you are looking to introduce Scrum in your organisation or to improve the way it is implemented, you should read this book and keep it close at hand. If you do not already have a working knowledge of Scrum, some Certified ScrumMaster or Certified Product Owner training, say, you should get that first, and then read this book.

Often when reviewing books I condense my key findings, but this is hard in this case. The book is just too expansive, but in a good way. It is to Scrum what Code Complete

Enlightened
Jun 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is not a book you want to read when you want a manual about agile. It's not a reference guide about Scrum either. There are other books for that (e.g. Essential Scrum: A Practical Guide to the Most Popular Agile Process which gets good reviews here on Goodreads). You need some knowledge about agile and Scrum to fully appreciate this book (you don't even need to read a book; the basics are simple enough: http://www.scrumguides.org/). What makes it special and in my opinion a must-have, is th ...more
Chris
Oct 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A classic primer on how to adopt scrum in your organization

This book was published in 2009 (nearly ten years ago) and was one of the most authoritative works on how to adopt scrum at the time. I wanted to read it to see the context of one of the first mentions of the testing pyramid. These approaches (scrum and testing pyramid) have become the bedrock of current Dev(Sec)Ops development techniques. I rate it 3 out of 5 now because even though modern-day techniques have evolved, it is still worth
Steve
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business, agile, teams
Mike Cohn know Scrum and this book illustrates that very clearly. This is a very thorough book covering most every aspect of Scrum. Probably more suitable for a coach/trainer or someone who is doing some deep work with a Scrum team. I didn't make it all the way through since many of the details were either familiar, or applicable to larger organizations that I was in. I am glad to have a copy and can see my self referring to it later. If you need to go to the next level in Scrum, this is definit ...more
Rogelio
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good guide to start applying the concepts of agility in the organization. Although this is not a "full implementation guide" it shows the bottom line and the starting points that you can use in your journey.

I would have liked a more comprehensive list of resources to dig deeper, specially in the second part of the book regarding team work, one of the main challenges in scrum.

Summing up, this is a excellent starting point to implement scrum.
Steve Fenton
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The first two parts of this book were a bit too familiar, perhaps I have over-read this subject. However, Part III on Teams made the whole book worthwhile. This entire part was golden and immediately relevant. So for the scattered brilliant bits, I have overlooked the slower moments.
Chandan Khatwani
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shift your mindset to agile development. Cause you know your current process doesn't work. Plenty of guidance given in the book. Mike's books are great.
Srdjan
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great starting book for agile transition
Graham Lee
May 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
I can't believe how verbose the exhortation to value working software over comprehensive documentation is.
Lavinia
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Better than any Agile/Scrum training or certification. I highly recommend this book for anyone working with Scrum. Whether you are a beginner or an experienced Scrum Master, this book is gold.
Charles
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of the easiest things to do in print is to praise a strategy or set of tactics used to perform difficult tasks. When all you are doing is simply expounding the stated virtues of a methodology, you are somewhat free to use hype, anecdotal information and instance proofs of success. Implementation details and explanations of logical and frequent difficulties encountered by practitioners of the methodology are ignored or minimized.
That is not the case in this book, Cohn describes the agile soft
Juan
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a book for pragmatics.
Advice for the harder stuff - how to introduce and spread Scrum, how to get people to let go of doing by design at the start of the project, how to deliver software that works by the end of each sprint, what managers do, and more.
Danien
Apr 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
We have been implementing agile practices in the studio for a few months and seen some successes and some obstacles. Most of the problems have been with exactly which aspects of agile were right for us. We did not want overly formal adherence to agile standards, but rather something more organic that suited our team. On the other hand, this "looseness" meant that there were many grey areas without easy answers. Many of the situations we encountered are discussed in this book - an indication of h ...more
Kevin
Feb 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computer
Really great book on Scrum, from one of the biggest names in Scrum.

This book is most applicable to organisations that are just starting out with Scrum (although a basic understanding of the artifacts / roles / etc. is assumed), or are having problems adapting it. There are lots of examples for organisations of any size (including entire chapters on adapting Scrum to massive projects, dealing with non-colocated teams, etc.), although the primary focus seems to be on midsized colocated companies (
Caroline Gordon
This is the MUST read book on Scrum. I really like Mike Cohn's style, his books are very practical and make sense for how to really get things done. This book focuses on how to proceed with an Agile transformation. There are many approaches that can be taken and he lays them all out, how to do them and what the advantages and disadvantages of each may be. I added many more books to my to read list from all his referenced books. I will be referring back to this book for many years, it's a classic ...more
David Workman
Jul 30, 2010 marked it as to-read
Preliminary reading shows that this book is definitely not an introduction to scrum and expects a reader to already have quite a good level of scrum comprehension.

It also shows that this book is targeted at people who are looking to migrate a company's practices over to scrum or are in the process of a transition and gives a lot of advice and techniques that the author has used to perform such transitions in the past.

I've put this back to my 'to-read' pile so I can pick it up again once I've got
Pascal Mestdach
Nov 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: agile, favorites
Do you really want agile software development to stick within your company? Than this is the book to read!

Understanding the mechanics of an agile process is just not enough. The quest of transitioning a company to agile is hard, full of mysteries, and also never ending :-).

This book is a distillation of everything Mike Cohn has learned over the years working with many many companies that are trying to become more agile.
June Ding
Nov 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Not a book if you are new to Agile. This is a book about managing change. A must read to understand challenges when an organisation transitions to Agile. Lots of useful practical guide, and pretty much every issue you run into during transformation, you can find some discussions and useful tips. A book that should be used as a reference book for Agile change management.
Ahmed Salem
Dec 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011

Glyn Matthews
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a top class introduction to Scrum and Agile. It contains a broad range of insights and I have applied many lessons from the book. If you're looking to take it to the next level, this book lacks depth. However this hasn't diminished the rating I've given it as there are already other excellent resources on this subject that will complement what you will learn from this book.
Cyril N
Jan 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very interesting book about how to implement an agile methodology and how to make it more efficient. Many aspects are developed, it gives a lots of idea to try with your software development projects. It is also a good reference to evaluate your position on the path to a fully agile organization.
Arun
Mar 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful read.. Mike Cohn is so fluent with his writing style and the way he builds up on the agile model. This book explores in detail about different roles played in Scrum, challenges faced and how to tackle them, etc.. So one would benefit more from this book if they already have an idea...
Collin Rogowski
Aug 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Currently the best Scrum book for non-beginners (this means, that you should have had read a introductory Scrum book before). Really good tipps and tricks for nearly all things you can encounter during a Scrum implementation. I think I'll keep this on my desk for quite a while...
Alf Kåre Lefdal
Jan 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Deep-dive into developing software using Scrum. This book does not cover the fundamentals of Scrum, but rather how to improve and become better.

To be read by people interested in improving how to do Scrum.
Jose
Feb 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: programming
It okay. Not a technical book per se. Good book for manager types. I like that it has a lot of references, it's well written, and it calls for common sense approach to development. Having said that, this is not the type of books I like to read. It's about how to manage people, not code.
Lora Kostova
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An excellent and a very detailed book, I guess it is no coincidence that so many call it the Agile Bible. Mike Cohn goes trough the whole scrum process discussing different perspectives and possible outcomes.
Mark Wheeler
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A core foundation book of Agile software development. I read this book when I first started to get into Agile and it really helped explain some approaches and process around Agile.
Definitive must read for anyone new to Agile, but will be key to the success of it.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Scrum and XP from the Trenches
  • Agile Testing: A Practical Guide for Testers and Agile Teams
  • Lean Software Development: An Agile Toolkit
  • Scaling Lean & Agile Development: Thinking and Organizational Tools for Large-Scale Scrum
  • Agile Retrospectives: Making Good Teams Great
  • Bridging the Communication Gap: Specification by Example and Agile Acceptance Testing
  • Agile Project Management with Scrum
  • Agile Coaching
  • The Art of Agile Development
  • Agile Software Requirements: Lean Requirements Practices for Teams, Programs, and the Enterprise
  • Coaching Agile Teams: A Companion for ScrumMasters, Agile Coaches, and Project Managers in Transition
  • Agile Software Development
  • Agile Product Management with Scrum: Creating Products That Customers Love
  • Collaboration Explained: Facilitation Skills for Software Project Leaders
  • Kanban: Successful Evolutionary Change for Your Technology Business
  • Management 3.0: Leading Agile Developers, Developing Agile Leaders
  • The Agile Samurai: How Agile Masters Deliver Great Software
  • Essential Scrum: A Practical Guide to the Most Popular Agile Process

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Mike Cohn is the owner of Mountain Goat Software and is recognized as one of the contributors to the invention of Scrum. He is one of the founders of the Scrum Alliance and is a Certified Scrum Trainer. He is a trainer on Scrum and agile software process techniques and helped popularize Planning poker which he provides as a free online planning tool.

From Wikipedia.com (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki

A Mike Cohn Signature Book (9 books)
  • The Scrum Field Guide: Practical Advice for Your First Year
  • More Agile Testing: Learning Journeys for the Whole Team
  • Agile Game Development with Scrum
  • Agile Testing: A Practical Guide for Testers and Agile Teams
  • Essential Scrum: A Practical Guide to the Most Popular Agile Process
  • Agile Product Management with Scrum: Creating Products That Customers Love
  • Large-Scale Scrum: Scaling Agile for Large & Multisite Development
“accurately setting and managing expectations.” 0 likes
“if we establish something as the “best possible way, the motivation for kaizen [continuous incremental improvement] will be gone” 0 likes