Start by marking “Conqueror (Time's Tapestry, #2)” as Want to Read:
Conqueror (Time's Tapestry, #2)

Conqueror

(Time's Tapestry #2)

The second novel in a thrilling alternate-history series-from national bestselling author Stephen Baxter.

Three centuries have passed since Rome fell, as The Prophecy foretold. Now The Prophecy's scroll is in the hands of a young girl, the last surviving member of the family who received The Prophecy. She lives in tranquility, disguisd as a boy among the monks on the isle
Published August 7th 2007 by Ace Books (first published February 22nd 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Conqueror, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conqueror

Start your review of Conqueror (Time's Tapestry, #2)
Christopher Taylor
Oct 08, 2014 rated it liked it
The first book of this series did not hold my attention well, as it seemed to be a series of disconnected historical events with a weak prophecy storyline attempting to tie them together.

With this second volume in the series, the prophecy storyline is starting to make a bit more sense, and the narrative is becoming more a battle through history by competing forces tying it together rather than a chain of isolated incidents.

The vignettes of history are well handled enough, for the brief time they
Scott
Jul 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I started reading this series with a certain expectation, I started reading this book, the second in the series, with an entirely different set of expectations tempered by the first book, Emperor.

Emperor introduced the overarching mystery of "the Weaver," the style of barely-connected short stories spanning pivotal eras across the years, and convinced me that it would be foolish to invest myself in any set of characters' stories.

With that in mind, when I started Conqueror and immediately
Saul
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
In the second book of of Time's Tapestry, I'm starting to see what we're in for: it's a guided tour of English history. With that in mind, I think this book improves on the problems of Emperor, having more convincing dialogue.
Yasser Maniram
"And this is what you have brought me, this doggerel?" - King Alfred re: Prophecy, 184.

That quote, in a nutshell, encapsulates the plot. While this book was significantly easier for the reader to read, in contrast to the first book of the series, the multi-generational stories can play tricks on the reader's mind if they do not remain vigilant in paying attention.

Baxter is clearly a proficient author, and this book is further proof that he is a master when it comes to creating a stage to play
Mike Smith
Jul 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I enjoyed this book more than the first in the series. The "Weaver" plot was explained a bit more and had a bit more presence in the narrative. We now have an idea what the Weaver is trying to accomplish, which was missing from the first book.

I also enjoyed the depiction of England as its population was invaded over and over again, and the slow changes in the population as a result of mixing with the Saxons, the Angles, the Danes, and the Norse. I was also impressed by the sense of history that
Rory
Aug 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Good fictional book covering Anglo-Saxon England in several parts, each a few hundred years apart. Like the first book in the series, there is a 'prophesy' that traces the course of the book, with the theory that some future person has sent this prophesy back in time to control the past.

(view spoiler)
Suzan
Feb 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
You really need to read Emperor first. History still pretty on track in this one, though the characters talk a lot about the Weaver who is behind the prophecies, presumably someone from the future trying to change things. I happen to like this period almost as much as the Romans: this has episodes covering the last surviving "Roman", the Viking raid on Lindisfarne, King Alfred in the marshes, and the Battle of Hastings. The Prophecy is one uttered by Isolde from the last chapter of Emperor: it ...more
David Usharauli
I came across this historical novel by Stephen Baxter at local library. I would say it is a very good novel to learn a little bit about British history from the fall of Roman Empire in the end of the 5th century to Norman conquest of England in 11th century.

Nice thing about this novel is the fact that even though author's description of living conditions and brutality of dark ages are very vivid, he still managed to make it "easy" to read and digestible for modern readers. Stephen Baxter managed
Ben Chenoweth
Aug 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Another good historical novel, especially in the way it describes a fairly brutal period of the history of England, climaxing with the Battle of Hastings. (I especially enjoyed seeing the invention of "zero" come in!) The only problem with these longitudinal novels is that you have to connect to a whole new bunch of characters every time the novel jumps to a new time period. But the author does this fairly well. And now I am extremely suspicious about the mysterious "Weaver". Can't wait to find ...more
J.L.
Mar 04, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: march-2014
I didn't connect very much with any of the characters, but I still enjoy Baxter's writing, and I'm going to slog through this series because I really do want to find out who/what the Weaver is. I will be the first to admit that I would probably have enjoyed this more if I'd known more (or anything) about this time period.

One thing is for certain: the majority of Baxter's characters continue to die horrible, devastating deaths.
Michael
Apr 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
Wasn't able too reach me. The idea is interesting. However the characters are introduced and once you know them a bit then Baxter jumps ahead in time to a point where the just introduced characters are dead. So he starts over again bringing in new personas. Because of that it is very difficult to connect with the plot and be intrigued by it. I will not go on reading this Time Tapestry series.
Rick
Oct 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Didja you know the NY Public Library has hundreds of copies of parts 1, 3 and 4, and NO copies of part 2. Weird. I had to track this down through the Brooklyn library. Even better than part 1, it takes place during the German and Scandinavian period in Britain (AD 600-1066), and concludes with the Battle of Hastings in which William the Conqueror might very well lose.
Steve James
Jul 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is the second in the Weaver series.
The story starts with the death of the last Roman and concerns the arrival of the Vikings, Norsemen and Saxons into Britain and ends in 1066.
As with the previous book the story follows the descendants involved in the Prophesy, the second delivered at the end of the previous book.
I found it more compelling than the first book.
Betsey
Oct 02, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, historical
it was like watching the history channel computer animated reenactments. Entertaining but not high quality. Taught me some history, but more b/c it led me to look things up, not because it actually taught it.
Martinxo
Feb 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, history, 2010
Another enjoyable episode from this historical trilogy. What I'm enjoying most about this series is the filling-in of some historical periods I've always been a big vague about. Good stuff, looking forward to the final instalment.
Joel Sassone
Slightly better than the first book in the series because Baxter stays a bit longer with each generation of characters before moving to the next. Still not the best Baxter, but kudos for trying something new. A British history junkie would love this series. 3 1/2 stars out of 5.
Robert
Jan 21, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was good. It gets a little samey toward the end. By the time you reach the Battle of Hastings you feel like you've done this before a few times, but it was good.

3/5 stars

Interested to see what the next book brings.
Megan Kelosiwang
Dec 21, 2015 rated it liked it
This was a bit of a slog as there was just so much going on over a very long period of time. I got a bit bored in some of the complexities but saying that I did still enjoy. I kind of like the cameos of character from across the ages but it can be a bit confusing crossing over time.
Topher
Aug 05, 2009 rated it it was ok
Just having trouble working up the enthusiasm for this series; it has at least 2 more books to go, but, the mcguffin from the first 2 is now done, so I'm at least a little curious to see how the 3rd is linked in.
Joel Sassone
Richard Bush
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great second instalment of a historical SF series.
Anthony Sako
Jun 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Aaron
May 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Another good book in the series. But i think the pace is starting to flag which is what i've typically discovered with S.Baxters work over anything more than a single entry
Benno
Jun 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: j
Interesting book set in Britain from 607AD through to 1066, culminating in the Battle of Hastings. Historical/speculative fiction.
Dale
Jan 05, 2011 rated it liked it
We move on now to Vikings and Germans. That's what I'm talking about. Baxter waxes a bit more philosopically in this one too which adds to its enjoyment.
Clare Mitchell
Jan 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
Interesting premise - as with the first book - but PLEASE DEAR GOD WHY WAS THERE SO MUCH RAPE!?!??!
Tal
Jul 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a continuation of Stephen Baxter's Time's Tapestry series, this book focuses on a Britain for whom the Romans are but a distant memory (roughly 400 - 1066 AD)
Dana Claycomb
Jun 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great beginning to a fascinating series!
adrianoates
Jan 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Great portrayals of Danish invasions of Lindisfarne; Alfred the Great and the Battle of Hastings
Shawn
Feb 19, 2013 rated it liked it
not as interesting as Emperor. research of the history fiction is impressive, though.

• Anatomy of Evil (Barker & Llewelyn, #7)
  • Some Danger Involved (Barker & Llewelyn, #1)
  • She Has Her Mother's Laugh: The Powers, Perversions, and Potential of Heredity
  • Dances with Wolves (Dances with Wolves, #1)
  • A Coffin for Dimitrios (Charles Latimer, #1)
  • The Bayern Agenda (The Galactic Cold War, #1)
  • Howling Dark (Sun Eater, #2)
  • The Caledonian Gambit
  • Seventh Son (Tales of Alvin Maker, #1)
  • Stamping Butterflies
  • For He Can Creep
  • From Time to Time (Time, #2)
  • The Separation
  • Hell Bay (Barker & Llewelyn, #8)
  • Blood Is Blood (Barker & Llewelyn, #10)
  • Old Scores (Barker & Llewelyn, #9)
  • An Awkward Way to Die (Barker & Llewelyn, #8.5)
  • 21 Things You May Not Know About the Indian Act: Helping Canadians Make Reconciliation with Indigenous Peoples a Reality
Stephen Baxter is a trained engineer with degrees from Cambridge (mathematics) and Southampton Universities (doctorate in aeroengineering research). Baxter is the winner of the British Science Fiction Award and the Locus Award, as well as being a nominee for an Arthur C. Clarke Award, most recently for Manifold: Time. His novel Voyage won the Sidewise Award for Best Alternate History Novel of the ...more

Time's Tapestry (4 books)
  • Emperor (Time's Tapestry, #1)
  • Navigator