Start by marking “What the Scriptures Teach Us about Raising a Child” as Want to Read:
What the Scriptures Teach Us about Raising a Child

What the Scriptures Teach Us about Raising a Child

4.32  ·  Rating details ·  287 Ratings  ·  88 Reviews
In these times of enormous stress on families, where can we find down-to-earth help for raising our children?

Declaring that the scriptures are the Lord's handbook for families, father and author S. Michael Wilcox applies in What the Scriptures Teach Us about Raising a Child his considerable scriptural knowledge and practical insight to the subject of parenting.

Through exam
Published August 22nd 2009 by Deseret Book (first published August 2009)

Be the first to ask a question about What the Scriptures Teach Us about Raising a Child

Tara
Dec 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents
Shelves: church, 2009
I really liked the focused perspective of raising children Wilcox provides from scriptural stories and understanding. While not all the ideas he presented we new to me, combined, they did help me to look at raising my daughter (and soon to be daughters) in a new light. Mostly it helped me see where I need to be more committed to the gospel. One of my favorite ideas he highlights is that of raising children based on the "principles of righteousness." He tells of his primary experience where he wa ...more
Karin
Jul 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. It was not full of directives and dos and don'ts, but it *was* full of scripture passages and stories that can help model parenting qualities we need to emulate. It was a great gathering of several things we need to be as parents to help our children be their best selves. One of the closing remarks, that I absolutely loved, was that in order to be the "best" parents with the "best" chances for our children, what we really need to do is to model those attributes we want ...more
Ane
Jul 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds-books, inspiring
So this was between 4 & 5 stars. I enjoyed the book. I had little "ah-ha"! moments in each chapter but there were also chapters that I didn't feel pertained to me. But excellent insight. Great book! Highly recommend! (plus my 3 year old thinks he's on the cover :-))
Samantha
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Parenting doesn't have to be hard

This is a lovely book filled with plenty of resources and examples of how parenting works in a biblical setting. I feel renewed and encouraged on how I want to raise my daughter in righteousness and how i need to set the example for her to follow
Stacey
Nov 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was not super entertaining.
But it was very thought provoking.
I read at night in bed, and I would like to read this book again; but I think that I will combine repeating it with my regular scripture study. S. Michael Wilcox is clearly very knowledgeable of the scriptures and some of the Old Testament references he made were unfamiliar to me. And I'd like to be able to look those references up and read the stories along with background information, and then read some of his examples an
Jill
Jul 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book changed the way I look at the scriptures and at myself. Mr. Wilcox offered hope for parents with difficult children and for children with difficult parents. ;) he illustrates, through scriptural examples how God has given us parenting advice in many different settings: Adam and Eve and Cain, Abraham who was raised in one of the oat wicked settings and yet became one of the most righteous men to ever walk the earth, Lehi who was concerned for his grandchildren because of the prejudices ...more
Angela
May 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Amazing. A must-read for every parent. Even those who aren't Christian or religious will appreciate the truth of his points and how Wilcox applies the scriptures to parenting. It was neat to look at some scripture stories through the lens of parenting, too. Often we think of the regular scripture story application first and then sometimes notice new details, but Wilcox points out the parenting truths evident in these stories and it gives them a whole new meaning. I've learned to appreciate scrip ...more
Cami
Oct 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: db-approved
Like other books and talks by Brother Wilcox, this book is so rich with scriptural depth that I had to absorb it in small doses. I would give it 5 stars but I feel like I need to read it again before I understand what he was teaching. He can make even the most obscure scriptural characters relate to your situation because he has studied God's word so deeply, but sometimes I felt like it was over my head. Just about every page (sometimes more than once on a page) had me thinking, "That is so true ...more
Lindsey
Jan 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
This book was really thought-provoking and motivating for me; I think I dog-eared half of the pages to go back and re-read. I gained a lot of new insights into familiar scriptural accounts that apply to parenting. While the book related general principles of parenting, it did feel like it was geared toward parents of older children and so every chapter didn't feel totally applicable to me right now. Overall, this book was a great reminder to refocus my efforts on parenting according to gospel tr ...more
Teresa
May 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Like my other favorite LDS perspective parenting book, this book reminds parents one of their most important purposes is to turn their children to God. I appreciated the sub-topics this book contained and it inspired me to make changes in my own parenting as I was reading it. I started marking passages I wanted to refer back to with post it notes, but there were so many by the half way point I ended up just buying the book! Definitely one I will read again, setting goals and making notes as I go ...more
Courtney
Dec 23, 2009 rated it it was ok
I always feel bad when I don't like a church book because I feel like I should. In general, I'm not a fan of self-help type books. This one definitely had some good moments, but overall I found it extremely dry. The stories were not engaging and I got lost at times. Also, I get especially irritated when an author of a self-help book gets on their soap box to preach to me.

I read a book not that long ago about "How to Talk so Kids Will Listen..." and it was interesting that these two books had som
Heather
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is full of things to help improve your interactions between parent and child. Each chapter was easy to read and understand and had a clear message and advice; with practical things to do and things to think about. Stories and verses from the scriptures were quoted and talked about. It helped to know the skills we too can do and it also helped me to see the scriptures in a new way: full of family stories and the way the great father our Heavenly Father is parenting us. This is a book I ...more
Mashell
Sep 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I learned so much from reading this book. It is one I will re-read often because there is so much information I need to learn again and again. I have read the scriptural accounts S. Michael Wilcox refers to in this book but I have never applied them to me as a parent. It has made me a more patient, loving mom because I have a larger view of my responsibilities and some great examples to look to in the scriptures!
Teresa
Sep 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I have read so many books on parenting- wish I could have began with this one! I should've guessed the scriptures had all the answers, but would've never been able to piece it together as beautifully as Michael Wilcox did. What a gift he has. (I took a few institute classes from him in college and am still in awe from all I learned from him!)There are scriptural passages I've read countless times, that now have new meanings for me as a parent.
Bonnie
Jun 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: LDS parents
This was an incredibly insightful application of scriptural truths to parenting. The principles and stories Brother Wilcox reviews granted me several "ah-ha!" moments. Some concepts brought freshness to scriptures that I hadn't considered before. But I feel that it gave me several tools and brought to my mind the importance of sharing uplifting things with my children and raising them with love. I genuinely recommend this book to any LDS parent. You will be glad you read it.
Molly Jae
Oct 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Before reading this book, I truly considered whether or not I could take what it might say without a lot of guilt. Because I have children that are older and out of the home or close to it, it's a little depressing to read on this topic and find out everything I've done wrong. However, I love Michael Wilcox and hoped to continue to learn and become a better person and was richly rewarded by his insights.
Leighanne
Jan 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE this book! I believe that I will need to read this many times as a mother for the next 20+ years. It is wonderful to see how many experiences in the scriptures there are about teaching children things of the Lord. I felt the spirit with every word that was written. It is a book that makes a parent hopeful about how they are doing and teaches without discouraging. I am definitely going to read this again and again.
Mandy
May 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. Full of wonderful insights from the scriptures about raising good and righteous children. My favorite passage talked about magnifying the Lord and how as mothers we act as a magnifying lens to our children, illuminating certain things and expanding their vision. Wilcox writes "A mother's soul is a lens through which a child almost always first sees God."
Amy
Mar 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. Of course, I LOVE Michael Wilcox! But the chapters are short. It's a short book anyhow. And the way he uses stories from the scriptures to show me how I should treat not only my children, but others, is amazing! Some stories I would never connect to parenting! Quick read!
Hilary Roberts
Feb 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: religious, parenting
This was a great book! The author gives examples of parenting from the scriptures and tells what we can learn from that example. There are lots of really good parenting nuggets throughout the book. I ended up taking notes. Great book for helping you keep perspective with all the parenting ups and downs!
Sebrina
Jul 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books I will read over and over. It's my first book by Michael Wilcox and I will definitely start collecting him now. He brings scriptural parenting examples so beautifully to the surface. It wasn't so much new information as it was a new mentality and perspective we nned to have as parents. I love it!
Stephanie
Apr 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
I loved reading What the Scriptures Teach About Raising a Child. It was full of great insights. Some things are useful now and others are more relevant to future parenting, but it's wonderful to have these doctrinal insights in my pocket to help me be a more prepared, loving parent and keep our home full of the spirit.
Sarah Grass
Oct 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
I should read more books like this. I shared several parts with my husband. Nothing new, just lots of good reminders of how to love and help my children. I especially liked the parts on varying discpline (p 64), correcting without harshness, being without guile, and persuasion.
It's a short book and one I could reread every year for a refresher.
Casey
Dec 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
I loved how Wilcox used scriptural parents like Lehi and Alma as examples of how to raise our children. Instead of just quoting a scripture verse and saying "this is what the scriptures tell us we should be doing," he chose actual parenting techniques from the scriptures and pointed out how those righteous parents handled certain situations.
Tiffany
Feb 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I love that I live in Provo and can get books like this at the library. This book had some wonderful insights that I had never considered before. I just might buy this book. It had a way of making you feel like you were doing great and not making you feel bad about the places where you may have failed, but lifting you up and making you feel like you have the ability to be better- and we do!
Jackie
Jun 21, 2010 added it
This is an inspiring book on learning from the scriptures how to ‘raise a child’ unto the Lord. So many passages that I pass by often in the scriptures in which this book helped me to take a closer look at in really understanding and learning from them. I made lots of notes that I’ll keep on my bedside to refer to often and improve upon.
Mindi Bennett
Dec 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I'm going to keep this book on my nightstand and read it as often as I can. I loved it and highly recommend it to my mom friends. But sorry you can't borrow my copy because it'll be on my nightstand...well maybe I can share :)
Karin
Nov 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This was the best parenting book I've read because it is based on eternal principles that stand the test of time. Michael Wilcox is one of my favorite teachers of the scriptures. I love his insights.
Kathy
Sep 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2010
I struggles to decide if I should give this book 4 or 5 stars. This is probably a 4.5 star book so I rounded up. There are a lot of great insights in this book on how to raise children based on teachings found in the scriptures.
Kelly
Jan 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
I checked this book out at the library and I am really glad I read it. I am think I am actually going to have to buy a copy and use it as a reference book. Profound, but very simple. If we just use the scriptures as our parenting book, we can't possibly go wrong.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Promise of Enough: Seven Principles of True Abundance
  • 5 Spiritual Solutions for Everyday Parenting Challenges
  • Mothering with Spiritual Power: Book of Mormon Inspirations for Raising a Righteous Family
  • Behind Every Good Man: Helping Your Husband Take Spiritual Lead in the Home
  • Strengthening Our Families: An In-Depth Look at the Proclamation on the Family
  • Christlike Parenting: Taking the Pain Out of Parenting
  • A Mother's Book of Secrets
  • Women of the Old Testament
  • The Hidden Christ: Beneath the Surface of the Old Testament
  • Men of Valor: The Powerful Impact of a Righteous Man
  • Parenting the Strong-Willed Child: Fortifying Our Youth and Healing Our Prodigals
  • Increase In Learning: Spiritual Patterns For Obtaining Your Own Answers (Spiritual Patterns, #1)
  • Contentment: Inspiring Insights for LDS Mothers
  • Christmas with the Prophets
  • Weakness Is Not Sin: The Liberating Distinction That Awakens Our Strengths
  • Daughters of God
  • The Mother in Me: Real-World Reflections on Growing Into Motherhood
  • Raising Up a Family to the Lord
S. Michael Wilcox is an instructor at the institute of religion adjacent to the University of Utah. A frequent speaker at Brigham Young University Education Week, Michael also conducts tours of the Holy Land, Church history sites, Europe, China, and Central America. He received a bachelor’s degree in English literature from Brigham Young University, a master’s in media from the University of Arizo ...more
More about S. Michael Wilcox...