Start by marking “8 Keys to Safe Trauma Recovery: Take-Charge Strategies to Empower Your Healing” as Want to Read:
8 Keys to Safe Trauma Recovery: Take-Charge Strategies to Empower Your Healing

8 Keys to Safe Trauma Recovery: Take-Charge Strategies to Empower Your Healing

Trauma recovery is tricky; however, there are several key principles that can help make the process safe and effective. This book gives self help readers, therapy clients, and therapists alike the skills to understand and implement eight keys to successful trauma healing: mindful identification of what is helpful, recognizing survival, having the option to not remember, cr ...more
Published December 2nd 2009 by W. W. Norton & Company

To ask other readers questions about 8 Keys to Safe Trauma Recovery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 8 Keys to Safe Trauma Recovery

Start your review of 8 Keys to Safe Trauma Recovery: Take-Charge Strategies to Empower Your Healing
Deb
Dec 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
**Because trauma recovery should not be traumatic**

Whether you’re dealing with your own trauma recovery, or are a therapist helping others through theirs (or both), this book is essential reading.

Perhaps it’s odd to report that a book on trauma recovery was so highly enjoyable and engaging, but that was certainly my experience with this book. The author combines her own professional and personal experience in trauma recovery with her deep respect for the sufferer’s individual experience and nee
AJW
May 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: psychology
This is a simple book, but not simplistic. A rare beast indeed, and for that reason I can recommend it as a starter book to anyone who wanting to know more about trauma recovery. Babette Rothschild knows her stuff and I trust her writings.

For people who have been in therapy for a long time, or have researched PTSD, this book probably doesn't say anything you don't already know. There may be some practical exercises that are new (and this book is rich on examples of different exercises to try ou
Jessica
Oct 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
My response to this book is deeply personal. Suffice to say, if you have suffered any trauma this book is for you. If you are suffering from PTSD, this book is for you. But only if you WANT to recover.
Katja
May 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a self-help book for people who have suffered trauma. Babette takes the reader through eight “keys”, or pieces of advice, to guide the reader through their recovery. However, the book is not just for sufferers – friends, family, and mental health professionals can all get something out of this book. It is very well-written – concise and readable but never overly simplistic. Highly recommended for anyone wanting to learn about practical trauma recovery.
lov2laf
This is a pretty spectacular book. Babette Rothschild lays out eight different keys a person can attempt to process their PTSD or trauma in a direct, easy to understand way. I appreciated that Babette is not only speaking as a therapist with a legacy of experience behind her but as a survivor of trauma herself.

For anyone that's dealt with the effects of trauma, in and out of therapy, it's often an experience where logic does not match up with the emotions felt and internal processing...ie, I KNO
Lindy
This is a great book for anyone recovering from trauma. This is also a fantastic book for therapists to have available for clients who may have experienced some trauma--it provides safe, supportive steps for people to take at their own pace.
Steffi
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-books-ever
My therapist recommended this book and I am so glad. I've taken it really slowly so I could reflect on each chapter and introduce ideas slowly into my life through PTSD recovery. It is a very easy and practical read with honest and helpful ideas that you can accept or reject, depending what you do and don't find helpful.
It is also very holistic and I have found different chapters helpful at different times in my recovery. It has helped equip me with tools that will help me with stress, anxiety,
KL Baudelaire
Easy to read, written in a calm and straightforward tone. As a counsellor I find Rothschild's approach to be practical and client-focused, and as an individual, find some of the exercises here very useful indeed. I'd recommend this book to anyone working with vulnerable people (many of whom might have experienced trauma), and to anyone who has experienced trauma themselves.
Diana
Cele două lucruri pe care le apreciez cel mai mult la această carte sunt atitudinea de respect sincer pentru cititorul care caută un ajutor pentru situația sa unică și simplitatea scrierii, care face un conținut util și valoros accesibil pentru majoritatea persoanelor care au nevoie de o îndrumare în parcursul lor posttraumatic.
Anita
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book explaining trauma, recognizing it in one self or others and overcoming it... very big help and clear advice... highly recommend this book for anyone wanting to understand trauma.
Caleb
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a very helpful book! It also was very accessible.
Pernille
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very useful read for me trying to improve my understanding of trauma rehabilitation, and I'm sure it's an even more powerful read for someone who has survived trauma.
Rena
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: trauma
This was a book that my friend Judy asked me to read. It has good nuggets in it but a lot of it just really did not apply to me.
Tilda
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
An excellent, practical resource for those looking to overcome trauma of any kind. As someone interested in better understanding how trauma manifests, I found this incredibly helpful - particularly the chapters on memories and understanding the way flashbacks are physiologically experienced as the same as the event. The author is gentle, kind and understanding of the reader - as a fellow trauma survivor herself. Highly recommend.
Lydia Loh
Apr 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Incredibly simple but critical framework to recovering from trauma.

Her work is so accessible and easily applied. She also ensures she creates a safe space for the reader.
Tiffany
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great addition to my mental health resources and library.
Kyla
Aug 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
I agree with the other reviewers. A simple, gentle, friendly, and insightful intro book. Particularly good for the genre. (I tend to get impatient with self-help and prefer reading books for clinicians and research articles, as they go into more depth; and I'm a big nerd.) But this book is very good at what it is, and accomplishes exactly what it sets out to do.
Heather
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As a trauma survivor, this has been the most helpful book I have read. Recommended by my therapist, we worked together on some of these principles, and I worked on some on my own. After a few months I feel more stable and less triggered. I recommend this book to anyone who has had a traumatic experience, whether great or small.
Suzan Bond
Dec 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Many of us will encounter a traumatic situation throughout our lives. This book is a very practical guide to healing from a trauma. It's also good for family and friends who know someone who has experienced a trauma.
Anna
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Thoughtfully written.
Brit Barkholtz
Dec 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mental-health
Comprehensive, easy to follow, easy to digest. Very practical and helpful!
Meg
Apr 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dear Babette Rothschild,
You are the goddess of common sense wisdom in trauma therapy. If I could just remember everything you write, I would be the best trauma therapist ever.
sincerely,
me
Deidre
Feb 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
targeted more at survivors than clinicians, so not too useful for my purposes, but probably pretty user friendly for survivors.
Charlane Brady
Aug 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Simple. Educational. Empowering. Helpful with day-to-day life.

The best trauma recovery book I have ever read.
Amy

• Ben  Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream  Dessert Book
  • Maybe: A Story About the Endless Potential in All of Us
  • A Year Full of Stories: 52 Classic Stories From All Around the World
  • Florence Griswold: The Keeper of the Artists
  • Looking Through the Eyes of Trauma and Dissociation: An Illustrated Guide for Emdr Therapists and Clients
  • The Lion and the Mouse
  • Sleep Like a Tiger
  • Overcoming Parent-Child Contact Problems: Family-Based Interventions for Resistance, Rejection, and Alienation
  • You Can Draw in 30 Days: The Fun, Easy Way to Learn to Draw in One Month or Less
  • Waking the Tiger: Healing Trauma
  • The Five Gifts: Discovering Hope, Healing and Strength When Disaster Strikes
  • When Someone You Love Suffers from Posttraumatic Stress: What to Expect and What You Can Do
  • Dziewczyna z zapałkami
  • See What You Made Me Do: Power, Control and Domestic Violence
  • Trauma-Sensitive Mindfulness: Practices for Safe and Transformative Healing
  • How to Fail: Everything I’ve Ever Learned From Things Going Wrong
  • Emotions Revealed: Recognizing Faces and Feelings to Improve Communication and Emotional Life

News & Interviews

“...a freeze response (dissociation, collapse, numbing, paralysis, deadness) during the incident that threatened your life or limb. Sometimes it's difficult for people to understand that this is really survival response...” 4 likes