Start by marking “Sir Malcolm and the Missing Prince: A Tale of Long Ago” as Want to Read:
Sir Malcolm and the Missing Prince: A Tale of Long Ago

Sir Malcolm and the Missing Prince: A Tale of Long Ago

4.48  ·  Rating details ·  129 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Young Prince Hubert is incorrigible, unmanageable, and tiresomely demanding. What is the good King to do? How will his selfish Prince ever learn to rule the kingdom well? His most trusted friend, Sir Malcolm, has a plan. Prince Hubert is swept away to a land where he is simply known as Hugh, a peasant boy. His silks are replaced with rough work clothes, his castle dwelling ...more
224 pages
Published 2008 by Lamplighter Publishing (first published January 17th 1889)

To ask other readers questions about Sir Malcolm and the Missing Prince, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sir Malcolm and the Missing Prince

Evelynn
This was the first Lamplighter Theatre radio drama that I listened to. I hesitantly borrowed it from my church's library after the librarian highly recommended it, thinking that it would be just another prince-kingom-fantasy-allegory, which I'm not really into.

Boy, was I wrong.

Not only was it not fantasy, it was an amazing moral story! It also included one of my favorite radio actors (Adam Wylie), who played as Hubert/Hugh. And I love Jess Harnell (Finnian Jones).

Lamplighter has definitely expan
Karen
Feb 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jacob, ellie, mom, dad
Dad is reading this book to Ellie at night and they are loving it. She has listened to the audio. We gave this book to Ellie in celebration of her devotion to the Lord.

This was such a precious book for Dad and Ellie to read together. They both rated it 5 stars. One of the characters in the book is Ellie and the prince gave her a gold coin that she wore around her neck. We had a gold coin with an angel on it that Yellow Grandma had given us so Ben put a small hole in the top of it and hung it on
Congetta
We listened to this in the car. We really enjoyed this story and have already listened to it twice. This is an excellent story for boys to hear, especially ones that would prefer to play all day or think work is beneath them or think others are here to serve them. Actually it is a good reminder for all. My son really enjoyed it even with the strong moral teaching. The audio theater was done well.
Nichole
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I actually didn't read this. I listened to the dramatized edition put out by the Lamplighter Theatre.
Christa R
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: alex
I am totally guessing on the year he read this.
Jennifer Tarmann
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Such a worthwhile read for the family. Our kids were 5 and 4 when we read it aloud, but it is suitable for a much older audience, too. It pricked my heart over and over. We plan to read it every few years.
Stacey
Dec 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faith, boys-books
Actually we are listening to the audio theatre--Great story! I love lamplighter books and their audio theatre is wonderful. Elijah especially loved this. I look forward to downloading another when there is a good sale. It is worth the expense.

LaDonna
Oct 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rylee-and-i
This is such a great story. Near the end I was really moved by the changes in him. We will read this again for sure.
Kelly
Sep 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
FANTASTIC children's book. My kids and I were on the edge of our seats for the entire book. A memorable lesson on character building.
Michele Johnston
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
We read this together as a family and it was a great book. We thoroughly enjoyed the story - a bratty prince who comes to learn what it really takes to rule others.
Lee Huntington
Apr 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lamplighter
Again, a Lamplighter Theater listen for us. Loved it. Boy loved it. Has already listened through twice.
James
Jun 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great family reading...
Leah Good
Jul 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A spoiled prince is whisked to the country side to live as a poor boy in the care of a peasant woman. Will poverty teach him honor?
Michelle
Jun 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Some Lamplighters can have the "preachy" overwhelm the story but this one is pretty good--an easy read, involving story, but still a good message.
Andrea
EmilyGrace
May 28, 2011
Josh Bauder
Nov 02, 2017 rated it did not like it
Say you took a morality fable by Aesop, stretched it to the length of a novella, gave it a faux-medieval setting, sprinkled it with Victorian sentimentality, and worked in a few quotations from Proverbs at the end. What you’ve made isn’t harmful, but it’s not children’s lit either.
Lea