Start by marking “Lessons Learned in Software Testing: A Context-Driven Approach” as Want to Read:
Lessons Learned in Software Testing: A Context-Driven Approach

Lessons Learned in Software Testing: A Context-Driven Approach

Great software testing teams aren't born, they're made - through a lot of hard work and persuasive communication. Along the way, there is an abundance of traps that one can fall into, which can derail the best-laid plans and put your projects behind schedule.

Cem Kaner, James Bach, and Bret Pettichord know this all too well. Between them, they have over fifty years of testi
Published December 15th 2001 by Wiley

To ask other readers questions about Lessons Learned in Software Testing, please sign up.
Ben Klaasen Just jump in anywhere!

Just jump in anywhere!

Each lesson is a page or less, so it's the type of book you can pick up instead of reaching for your phone for some distraction. You will learn something new or discover an interesting idea to chew on with each interaction with the book.

Each lesson deals with a single idea. The book is packed with practical advice.

Once you've read a few of the lessons, have a look at the foreword, the table of contents and the index and see if there are other topics that jump out at you.

Read the book skeptically; all of the authors are very smart, incisive people, but since the book was written their thinking has diverged, so some of the information in the book has now *got* to be wrong or misleading or incomplete.(less)

Start your review of Lessons Learned in Software Testing: A Context-Driven Approach
Krzysztof Solarewicz
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: software-testing
Three years into the field, this is the only book I feel necessary to re-read, pick from and chew on every year or two.
Raluca
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: testing
This book has valuable content for a varied spectrum of topics, from how testers think, their role, advice about career, how to decide what to automate, planning the testing strategy, lessons about managing testing project and testing group. I would recommend it for someone who already has a job in testing software, not someone new in the field.
It is not a book you read in one sit or few. The way in which lessons are formulated make you think on your context or analyze what you could have been d
Brenna Flood
Aug 01, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i_own_this
An invaluable resource for software test engineers, developers, and PMs alike.
Vuk Trifkovic
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tech
Outstanding book about much underrated topic. The format of short snippet "lessons" is great especially as they are grouped into coherent chapters.

The first two chapters are really good and lessons apply for many disciplines in tech companies that are not quite straight up engineering. Product management for example.

Cdv
Dec 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

All in all, a must read for everyone who has anything to do with testing. That is to say, most of us...
$#@#%%^@%$%6
Lin Da
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in perpuity. Partially because I am a software tester, and partially because as I advance my skills different parts of the book resonate in new ways. I learn something new with every reading. This book stands the test of time and is a must have for any one aspiring to be a good tester.
Thad Butterworth
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I would consider this to be the quintessential book for those really interested in great software testing. Written in easy to digest, short lessons, this book should be required reading for anyone who has to deal with software testing on any level.
Fazliddin Tursunboyev
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
The book is should read book for everyone who want to be a good tester.
And there are some useful advice for PMs as well
Scott Griffiths
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
One of the 'must have' software testing books
Ariciuc
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: software
If you're a tester, READ IT!
John Paxton
Mar 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Anyone, at any stage of their QA career, indeed anyone that works with testers, should find something usable within this book.

While the book advocates for the context-driven software testing school it's not dogmatic E.G.,The whole point of context is there are no universal best practices no edicts on correct tool choice, languages or SLDC to follow which , unlike most decade old books on IT practices appears to have aged well.

Sadly that's not the world the C-level people usually are exposed t
Abdurrachman
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Do you ever read a book that written by a wise and very experienced software testers? More than that this book is full of wisdom and advice for those who in the middle of a testing career. For me, this is that book. I very thankful that my company provides book subscription in Safari book so that I can read this book there. I don't need to wait until Amazon people send me a book from the USA to Indonesia. One of the most important wisdom from this is that the authors believe that there is no suc ...more
Alex Trimm
More than half of the book is focused on testing as a profession, which isn't valuable to me, but may be to others. Some of the lessons were insightful, but most were either obvious truisms or inactionable. Overall, the signal-to-noise ratio just wasn't quite high enough.

The main value I did find was in affirming something I had hypothesized - that testing has its foundation in science, and that a good understanding of epistemology and experimental design can hugely strengthen the effectiveness
Lyle
Jul 26, 2010 rated it it was ok
I won this book as a door prize at RubyConf one year. It's OK, not great. As the title suggests, it's more of a collection of short essays and tips on the discipline of software testing, but doesn't focus so much on a particular methodology or set of tools. It would be a very good choice, I think, if you find yourself in a testing/QA role and need some inspiration.
Ian
Mar 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
another book I recommend to my testing staff. My approach to testing is based on the context driven style of Kaner and James Bach. This is testing approach that is driven by results and not reports.
Elizabeth
Oct 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Classic context-driven testing indoctrination. Some interesting things I need to think through some more regarding what to automate vs. what not to automate and how to incorporate a new tester into your team.
Juv
Dec 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book has made a lot of sense with the testing I do for work and given me a lot to think about while testing. I enjoyed the nuggets as humor as well, keeping this from becoming a dry textbook reading experience.
Mike Thompson
This is a good book for developers who want to learn about how good testing is done. By better understanding testing, and testers, you increase your ability to collaborate, seeing the testing organization as a partner, not an adversary.
Simon
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'll reserve the last star till I actually put the book's ideas into practice. Such a great professional textbook though, they've done such a good job at making it punchy, honest, witty and inspiring.
Duxcaelo
Aug 18, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011-goodreads
Mahmoud ElSherif
May 05, 2012 is currently reading it
simply , a very nice practical experience in one book
Lois
Sep 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A very good book on testing software
Mutturaj
Nov 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: software-testing
Most loved testing books.
Ravi
Mar 30, 2013 added it
no idea so far, but looks good
Carlos Mueses
Apr 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Great book for any tester. New tester will gain insight. Experienced ones will be able to relate to the lessons and find new or different approaches to known situations.
Hiep
May 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short, inspiring wise words. Need more examples, HOW-TOs, case studies, and best practices.
Željko Filipin
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
A short review at my blog: http://filipin.eu/lessons-learned-in-... ...more
Mahesh Makapur
Sep 26, 2013 marked it as to-read
Super and very helpful book
Ffakih08
Oct 30, 2015 added it
Shelves: qa-stuff
My journey to enlightenment in the testing world.

• Explore It!: Reduce Risk and Increase Confidence with Exploratory Testing
  • Agile Testing: A Practical Guide for Testers and Agile Teams
  • How Google Tests Software
  • How to Break Software: A Practical Guide to Testing
  • Perfect Software--And Other Illusions about Testing
  • Death by Meeting: A Leadership Fable...about Solving the Most Painful Problem in Business
  • Accelerate: Building and Scaling High-Performing Technology Organizations
  • Agile Testing Condensed: A Brief Introduction
  • The DevOps Handbook: How to Create World-Class Agility, Reliability, and Security in Technology Organizations
  • Measure What Matters
  • Night and Day
  • Малкият Българ: Вампирът от Несебър
  • Storia degli italiani vol. 1
  • Песни за Отвъд: Жертвата (#1)
  • How To: Absurd Scientific Advice for Common Real-World Problems
  • Into the Fire (Night Prince, #4)
  • Bound by Flames (Night Prince, #3)
  • Wicked Bite (Night Rebel, #2)

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Cem Kaner is a Professor of Software Engineering at Florida Institute of Technology, and the Director of Florida Tech's Center for Software Testing Education & Research (CSTER) since 2004. He is perhaps best known outside academia as an advocate of software usability and software testing.

Prior to his professorship, Kaner worked in the software industry beginning in 1983 in Silicon Valley "as a tes

News & Interviews

“If you have bad tests, automation can help you do bad testing faster.” 1 likes
“Afailure is the misbehavior of the program, resulting from the program encountering a fault. Failures occur” 0 likes