Start by marking “Crossing the Rubycon: How to Learn to Code and Build a Programming Career” as Want to Read:
Crossing the Rubycon: How to Learn to Code and Build a Programming Career

Crossing the Rubycon: How to Learn to Code and Build a Programming Career

This is a comprehensive self-help book for aspiring coders, filled with concrete, practical advice as well as useful insider tips and encouraging stories about learning to code and finding a programming job as a code newbie.

Unlike most learn-to-code books, this one is actually written by someone who had no technical background whatsoever just several years ago—a former jou
Published November 27th 2020

To ask other readers questions about Crossing the Rubycon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crossing the Rubycon

Start your review of Crossing the Rubycon: How to Learn to Code and Build a Programming Career
Katrin Blanchare
Nov 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
''...You might be a junior programmer, but you are not a junior person... Don’t let anyone make you feel otherwise.''

You know what? I was completely absorbed in this book. It is not so much about Ruby peculiarities, as about staying firm and purposeful deciding to change your life once and for all.

Nadya is a perfect storyteller. She is sincere, witty and kind of valiant :-). I couldn't but read and keep reflecting all the time... The book is full of emotional experience, doubts and anguish, tip
Izabela Kańtoch
Jan 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I gave this book 5 stars not because there is some mystery discovered in it and I learned how to live. I gave this book a 5 stars rating because I can see my story there. Also, I feel like I stopped in the middle of my way and this book gave me a ton of reasons to keep going and work a little bit harder. I really like the author's honesty, empathy, and self-reflection. Crossing the Rubycon is excellent for people who want to change something, but don't know where to start. I can see people repet ...more
Masha Karachun
Dec 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I am extremely happy and proud to recommend this self-help book for programmers-to-be by a good friend of mine and a talented self-taught coder Nadia Zhuk! It has practical advice, useful tips and all the motivation you need to keep going!

I am in the middle of reading and feel totally engaged, will get back with a more detailed review once I am through! It is clear already the book can offer much more than I expected!
Łukasz Badura
Jan 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Crossing The Rubycon is a great account of the author's personal journey of switching careers and becoming a software engineer. The book is a quick and enjoyable read. It's full of very practical advice and tips on how to start your journey in the tech world. Apart from pragmatic advice, the author provides a lot of personal experience in a very open and honest way.

Working in tech myself I strongly believe that the tech industry (regardless of it's flaws) can enable many people to work towards a
Pam
Jan 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
What a great find. I found Nadia's book from one of my LinkedIn connections (a senior software engineer who I don't know personally). This engineer recommended this book. Nadia describes clearly and honestly how she got into coding.

I jumped into coding, software development much later than Nadia but her story resonates with me because she also started as a complete beginner and non technical. Her reasons for changing careers also lined up with my reasons.

Her book is easy to read with short chap
Dayane
Dec 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Nadia's story is super impressive and inspiring. It gave me a huge motivation boost to study and addressed many of the unhelpful things I've been telling myself as a tester getting into the world of feature development at the moment.
Also, as an immigrant myself, Nadia's book was extremely relatable. The 'crabs in the buckets' as she put were always there, the anxiety about residency permits and the burnouts, and the difficulties that perfectionism and insecurity can create.
I can't wait to check
Kuba Kopyś
Dec 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
First of all, I didn't expect this book to be this "personal", but ultimately, this might be the reason I loved it for. Thanks to this approach it turned out to be not only informative, but also very easy and pleasant to read.

If you are thinking about becoming a programmer but have your doubts, I couldn't recommend it more. I feel like it gives a very realistic and down-to-earth view of such experience.
Mina
Dec 09, 2020 added it
This book was beautifully written and down to Earth. Nadia not only shared the good things about coding journey, but also the struggles along the way.

I am truly impressed and inspired by Nadia's determination, persistence and hard work throughout her journey.

I would highly recommend this book to all the self learners out there, as I can guarantee that you won't be able to put the book down once you start it!
Юлия Белобрудова
The book is awesome ! I've devoured it within a couple of days. The author's valuable hands-on experience is coupled with practical tips and guidelines. A must read not only for aspiring techs, but also for everyone to make sure everything is possible, even to crack a code! It's not a pure description of know-how to trailblaze a career path, but an inspiration in itself! ...more
Anastasia Teleton
Dec 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. A friend of mine, who knows the author in person, recommended to read it. I believe that's a perfect read for those who desire but are too afraid to pivot their careers because they are unsure whether they can learn something new or whether they would fit in a new industry. Nadia is a living example that everything is possible no matter your background, income, country of origin, or whatever you think the obstacles are. I especially liked the part where she described how scare ...more
Cipto Suhari
Jan 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I love the story Nadia's first job as Ruby dev.
It give me motivation to more deep dive learn code.
Faith
Jan 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
If you want to clear doubts about switching to tech without a certificate, this is the perfect book for you, I am happy that I read this book.
Kevin
Jan 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This a very good book for anyone starting out in IT or looking to become a software developer, no matter what your background is. It is possible! ^^
Krunal Sisodia
Jan 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing
the event that you need to clear questions about changing to tech without an authentication, this is the ideal book for you, I am glad that I read this book.
Artem Huletski
Feb 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
Vitebsk Redemption.
Well, I expected to learn more about coding than cv preparation and interview process. Motivational part is good though, due to the well-known starting point and similar mentality.
Eugenia Dubanevich
Jan 14, 2021
Alena
is currently reading it
Jan 15, 2021

• Beyond Biocentrism: Rethinking Time, Space, Consciousness, and the Illusion of Death
  • Ten Arguments For Deleting Your Social Media Accounts Right Now
  • What You Do Is Who You Are: How to Create Your Business Culture
  • Текст
  • Сумерки
  • There Will Be Tomorrow: A Memoir
  • FUTU.RE
  • 84, Charing Cross Road
  • Akademia Pana Kleksa (Pan Kleks #1)
  • How Will You Measure Your Life?
  • Antologia Polskiego Cyberpunka