Start by marking “New Witch on the Block: A Paranormal Women's Fiction Romance Novel (Midlife in Mosswood Book 1)” as Want to Read:

New Witch on the Block: A Paranormal Women's Fiction Romance Novel

(Midlife in Mosswood #1)

She thought she was running away from her past, not catching up with it.

Rosemary Bell just wants to live a quiet, happy life and raise her daughter as far away from her toxic ex-husband as she can get. But when they move into a decrepit cottage in the woods of Mosswood, Georgia, Rosie realises her life will never be simple.

A gang of meddling neighborhood do-gooders want to
Published June 30th 2020

To ask other readers questions about New Witch on the Block, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New Witch on the Block

Start your review of New Witch on the Block: A Paranormal Women's Fiction Romance Novel (Midlife in Mosswood Book 1)
Lisa Malmquist
Nov 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Rosemary Bell is fleeing an abusive biker husband. She and her daughter, Maggie, end up in a small cottage out in the woods in a small town. She is relieved to get away.
However, she runs into more trouble as the do gooders in town have decided to run her out of town based on made up lies. Her ex is still trying to track her down.
And she starts to realize she has a lot of power as a witch.
Doesn't hurt to have a good looking Irish guy next door to help.
Whew! Its a lot to keep track of! But Rosemar
Marsha Keeper Bookshelf
Reviewed at Keeper Bookshelf

I am absolutely loving the new genre of Paranormal Women’s Fiction (PWF), thanks to the “Fab 13” who introduced us all to women of a certain age who come into their powers through unusual circumstances with all the reality of life and the fun of fiction. Any time I discover another author who is writing in this genre I am thrilled. So when I found ‘New Witch on the Block‘ through a FB group I hopped right over to Amazon and downloaded it. And I’m very glad that I did
TXBRITGAL
Jul 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What an enjoyable treat!

I had so much fun reading this book. New author for me , and one I'll most definitely read more of in future. WARNING: possible triggers for some, but it's not a deep, dark book. At the core is a woman determined to change the direction of her life. After years of just existing, and taking far more than she should...she takes her beloved daughter and runs. Far from a fairytale story, but my goodness was it fun. Interesting and unique characters, definitely a surprise or t
Kimberly Jaye
Jul 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So, I feel like I should start this review by saying, I edited this book. So of course I'm not going to find much to complain about, because I got the chance to tell Louisa all about it while she was still in the drafting process! And whatever flaws it has now are in my editorial blind spot, which makes me useless to you, dear readers!

So here's a unique perspective. I'm going to talk about some things I asked Louisa to work on when I got the first draft. She's gonna kill me, but I bet you have f
Sarah Jackson
Jul 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
3 1/2 stars.Rosemary Bell has taken her daughter and run away to a small town to escape her violent husband. While setting up her new house she encounters her strange but handsome Irish neighbour, who declares that she is the Queen of the Witches. Rosemary scoffs initially, but soon discovers that she has mystical powers which can help her rebuild her new life. This is a fun and entertaining read. It's not brilliant, or taxing, but is a great, light-hearted escape option during this time of COVI ...more
Faith LaPierre
Nov 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved the setting of this book. I wasn't sure though how much I'd really like this book.
So glad I read it. She was trying to get away from an abusive husband and went to this little
hole in the wall town. Interesting how she learned about and learned her powers.
Pamela Street Gramlisch
Sep 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
New AuThor for me so new read.

We meet Rosie and her daughter Maggie. Rosie is on the run from her ex who is a motorcycle gang member name of Randy. She's been under his abuse for 20 years and now it stops. Also Rosie is a witch, but she doesn't know that. She meets her next door neighbor who is a male witch not warlock name of DeClan Forrest. He helps her find her inner self which is supposed to be a Queen Witch.
Debra
Nov 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very cute

Enjoyed the story. Basically, a feel good story about growing and learning. Not very fond at the hillbilly attempts at speech - uneducated. Loved the story and the characters.
☕️Kimberly
3.5 a good start to this series.
Mickey
Jul 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
About a woman and her daughter who escapes a bad marriage and ends up in a small town called Mosswood, only to realize there are more complications. I completely immersed in the small town setting and got real vibes like Virgin River, Sweet Magnolias, Good Witch etc.
Loved the busy body neighbors, and just found myself really feeling for the main character. But she really comes into her own in the end, and it’s awesome. Can’t wait to see how she grows in the next book.

My only complaint was that i
Lana
Jul 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Such a cute book with all the small town vibes. I don't think there's anyone quite like Louisa who makes those unique character stay with you after you've finished the book.
Can't wait for book 2.
Trish
Jul 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Lindsay Aggiss
Jul 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A good first step into this genre. This short novel was funny with a good amount of romance. I liked that the heroine wasn't too young and that she had a daughter. Looking forward to reading the next one! ...more
Barbara Strickland
Jul 03, 2020 rated it liked it
A lighthearted read

This was an easy read and entertaining. The characters lacked a little depth so connection was difficult but on the whole it was light hearted, had a sweet romance, and was well-written.
Dannielle Line
Sep 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The relationship between mother and young daughter is fabulous, and especially important near the end of the story. The love between them is more powerful than any magic. And magic, which Rosie discovers once they move to their new home, is alive and well, not only all around them, but it’s a part of Rosie too.

As the story evolves, so does Rosie’s ability to learn more about her gifts. She’d say they were new, but the neighbour who insists she’s destined to be his queen is certain the magic’s be
Charli Jeffries
Apr 12, 2021 rated it really liked it
New Witch in Town

Fun quirky story of a middle aged witch coming in to her powers with the help of a hunky Irish witch who says they are fated to be together. Be still my heart! Loved the concept and execution of this story and look forward to reading more from this author.

Small Town feels along with all the quirks and disgruntled neighbours, but I have to say Declan stole the show! Loved the twist on the ex husband.

Cute storyline, great break from heavier reads!
Betsy
Jan 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Rosie and Maggie starting over....

Rosie and Maggie run to Mosswood to escape Randy (husband/Dad), his horrible treatment and abusive ways. They rent a run down little cottage on the outside of town. Declan is their only close neighbor, and thank goodness he is. Rosie finds part time work in town to help keep Maggie and herself afloat. The townspeople and Randy (as well as his biker gang buddies) make it none too easy for her though and there is judgement around every corner and danger invading h
Cara Devlin
Feb 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
The premise for New Witch on the Block drew me in--a woman is fleeing her abusive husband and starting over in a small town with her young daughter, though the threat of his finding them hovers like a dark cloud over their fresh start. I would probably read this book based just on that, however the witch element sealed the deal and I really had to try it. I enjoyed this first book in the series a lot! I thought it was well written and fun, light and breezy, with some more serious themes (like ab ...more
Myra Ball
Oct 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Imaginative with a strong female heroine

The story unfolds with lots of imagination and creative situations. I like the plot of a woman and her daughter overcoming a adverse situation. I don't normally read much romance but this book was light on romance parts so I did enjoy the story. I found Declan a bit odd from his first interaction with Rosie. He does become more likeable by book's end. Heartwarming and sweet!
Theresa
Dec 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful

This book is about courage to overcome your fears and courage to begin again set against a backdrop of magic and mayhem. Tender moments, light hearted moments, slow building romantic moments, and every moment pure reading pleasure. I purchased the book after reading it on Kindle Unlimited because it is a book to keep and read again and again.
Frank Bertino
Dec 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable Read

Running from an abusive ex husband, Rosie and her daughter settle in a small town. She has few funds and gets a job at the local mart. Things go south as she is dubbed the town whore for a situation she didn't create. Then her ex shows up with mayhem on his mind. She has approach avoidance conflicting emotions towards a ruggedly handsome neighbor who wants to help her and more. I like the action, humor, and romance. I look forward to the next book.
Chrystina
Highly Enjoyable

I really enjoyed this book and love the relationship between Rosie and Maggie. I could feel the love, happiness, fear, shock, sadness , humor, and snark tight along with the characters. It was an awesome wild ride and I can’t wait for the next!
Heather Sharp
Oct 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Life's a witch

Rosie is a woman fleeing an abusive relationship wanting to start fresh with her daughter. She is blessed with a charming yet run down cottage that is hidden away. A drunk man stumbles into her yard one night and tells her she is a witch!
Completely loved this book and the characters.
Anne-Marie
Oct 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great beginning to the series

A great start to a new series.
This is my first time reading Louisa West but it won't be my last
She has wonderful characters and an interesting storyline.

Rosie is running with her daughter from her ex. They find a small town to rest and rent a cottage. Things start happening and Rosie meets her neighbour Declan...
Can't wait to read the next book
Toni
Dec 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pwf
A Magical awakening

I absolutely loved this book. I was gripped by this tale of courage, determination, new beginnings and awakening magic from the very start.
The characters are developing well and I'm invested in what happens next for them. I want to know more about their mysterious backgrounds. I want to know how their magic will develop. I want to know where the relationship between our two main characters will end up. I want to know how they will settle into their new lives.
I suppose I will
Pam Collins
Dec 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Whoa! Laugh out Loud Fun!

Don't mess with mama bear, is the sentence that kept going thru my mind as I read this book. I don't want to spoil this great read with too much detail, but poetic justice is so entertaining. Enjoy!
Amber Zaccard
Jan 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful!

Very unique twists on life after an abusive relationship with children involved. Loved the strength that Rosie gained and that Maggie wasn't "damaged" by the past! So much detail in the magic and how it enters the witch, just a great book all around!
Brenda Ellis
What an introduction!

King Witch, nasty ex, rotten small town society mavens, and Mr. Handsey. What a welcome to her escape from hell. And magic! That makes everything better. I was happy with how quickly things happened. Can't wait to read the next.
Christine Baty
Great first book

Wonderful introduction to the series. Brave and sassy budding witch, an intelligent and curious daughter and an unconventional potential love interest. Can’t wait to see what happens in the next book from this author.
Pamela
Aug 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A great, unique PWF!

I really enjoyed the little parts of this - the small town, the mean pastors wife, the Irishman, the fairytale. It’s a unique paranormal woman’s fiction story and I LOVED it! Really looking forward to the next book.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Silver Spells: A Paranormal Women's Fiction Novel (Midlife Elementals Book 1)
  • Forty Times as Fabulous: A Paranormal Women's Fiction Mystery (Magical Midlife Mysteries Book 1)
  • A Ghoulish Midlife (Witching After Forty, #1)
  • Hex After Forty (Singing Falls Witches, #1)
  • Making Midlife Magic (Forty is Fabulous, #1)
  • Midlife Magic (Not Too Late #1)
  • Gypsy Magic (Poppy's Potions #1)
  • Midlife Blues (Not Too Late #2)
  • That Good Hex (Singing Falls Witches, #2)
  • Magical New Beginnings (Midlife Witchery, #1)
  • Midlife Mojo (Not Too Late, #3)
  • Making Midlife Madness (Forty Is Fabulous #2)
  • Cashmere Curses (Wanda's Witchery #1)
  • Sweatpants and Spells (Midlife Magic in Marshmallow, #1)
  • Mind Over Magical Matters (Midlife Witchery, #2)
  • A Cursed Midlife (Witching After Forty, #2)
  • Hexes & Hot Flashes (The Oracle of Wynter #1)
  • Twice The Fun: A Paranormal Women's Fiction Mystery (Magical Midlife Mysteries Book 2)

Midlife in Mosswood (5 books)
  • Jealousy's a Witch (Midlife in Mosswood #2)
  • We Witch You A Merry Christmas (Midlife in Mosswood #3)
  • Get Witch Quick (Midlife in Mosswood #4)
  • Son Of A Witch (Midlife in Mosswood, #5)

News & Interviews