Start by marking “I am a Software Engineer and I am in Charge: The book that helps increase your impact and satisfaction at work” as Want to Read:

I am a Software Engineer and I am in Charge is a real-world, practical book that helps you increase your impact and satisfaction at work no matter who you work with.

Each of the 7 chapters has the following structure specifically designed to generate insight and move you to action.

Why it matters
A brief introduction to the chapter that offers questions for you to experiment
Kindle Edition
Published May 1st 2020 by Six Hands Publishing

To ask other readers questions about I am a Software Engineer and I am in Charge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I am a Software Engineer and I am in Charge

Start your review of I am a Software Engineer and I am in Charge: The book that helps increase your impact and satisfaction at work
Flavio
May 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is a straightforward, thorough, and insightful door to leadership, personal growth, and constant self-evaluation.

As someone that spends a lot of tine reflecting and trying to understand other people's perspectives, I appreciated the emphasis and information this books puts on the argument.

I recommend this book to engineers and managers of every level. If nothing else, I'm sure refreshing existing knowns won't hurt at all.

I liked the structure of the book as well as the numerous referen
Emilien
Apr 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Indispensable book to someone who appreciates working in a team and contributes to its success and also being satisfied by the impact made at work.

While not being a long read, I already feel the need of getting this regular "shot" by reading again some chapters from time to time. Alexis and Michael know how to go straight to the point; to the essential and what the reader should remember.

The first part of the book goes straight to real-life situations, and spoil some concepts that later in secon
Ranjith Varakantam
May 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Cuts-though with great clarity to deliver potent learnings via mini-stories

Being an avid reader, I go through lots of books. While most books meander through lots of content to deliver a single message. This lean book, on the other hand, conveys new learnings with every chapter! The format is simply brilliant! The closest thing, I can compare it to is Aesop's Fables in an enterprise setting. It allows us to relate to the emotion the main character feels and driving home the point using dripping

Bart den Haak
May 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is great if you are progressing in your career as a software developer. I wish I had all this information at hand when I was starting as a lead engineer. The book is well structured with stories you will definitely recognise. It provides practical tools (as experiments) to try out yourself. A great and quick read for all those engineers wanting to get in charge.
Julien Danjou
Apr 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you're an engineer and want to develop your career, this is a must-read. I've seen way too many engineers focusing on their technical expertise while what they would need to grow is their social skills. This book covers this aspect of your engineering career and what you need to understand and learn the ins and outs of being a senior engineer.

The first part covers a story where you follow different characters, which makes it super easy to read and understand the concept. It's hard not to reco
Dave Neary
Jun 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! For such a short book, I found it very useful. It mixes aspects of Stoicism and mindfulness with productivity, communication, and team development topics. The exercises, all detailed in part 2, look like they will be very useful in helping me adopt a positive mindset and be more productive and impactful at work. In general, I enjoy "business fable" books, but this is the first one I have read that adopted the practice of "one lesson per chapter", starting with an explanation of how it is im ...more
Preethi Thomas
Nov 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved how each concept is explained with simple everyday relatable examples in a story format.
Stein Magnus Jodal
Jul 29, 2020
Alexis Monville
Apr 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Felix
is currently reading it
Jan 11, 2021
Funky
Jan 13, 2021

• Home: Habitat, Range, Niche, Territory (The Murderbot Diaries, #4.5)
  • Operating Manual for Spaceship Earth
  • The Catalyst: How to Change Anyone's Mind
  • No Rules Rules: Netflix and the Culture of Reinvention
  • American Bloomsbury: Louisa May Alcott, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Margaret Fuller, Nathaniel Hawthorne, and Henry David Thoreau: Their Lives, Their Loves, Their Work
  • Attack Surface
  • Martin Eden
  • Writing About Your Life: A Journey into the Past
  • How Not to Diet: The Groundbreaking Science of Healthy, Permanent Weight Loss
  • Ghost (Track, #1)
  • Consider This: Moments in My Writing Life After Which Everything Was Different
  • An Elegant Puzzle: Systems of Engineering Management
  • Slack: Getting Past Burnout, Busywork, and the Myth of Total Efficiency
  • City of Ghosts (Cassidy Blake, #1)
  • Unleashed: The Unapologetic Leader's Guide to Empowering Everyone Around You
  • Usagi Yojimbo (2019-) #7
  • Usagi Yojimbo (2019-) #9
Alexis Monville is a member of the Engineering Leadership Team at Enterprise Open Source Software company Red Hat. He brings more than 20 years of operations and management experience from diverse sectors such as the automotive industry, a dotcom startup, IT consulting, public sector, software development, and his own management and organization consulting and coaching firm.

From 2011 until Red Hat