Start by marking “Böcekler Gezegeni: Tuhaf, Yararlı ve Hayranlık Uyandırıcı Dostlarımız Üzerine” as Want to Read:
Böcekler Gezegeni: Tuhaf, Yararlı ve Hayranlık Uyandırıcı Dostlarımız Üzerine

Böcekler Gezegeni: Tuhaf, Yararlı ve Hayranlık Uyandırıcı Dostlarımız Üzerine

Böceklerin gezegeni değişiyor. Ekosistemin dengesi son yüzyılda, daha önce insanlık tarihinde görülmemiş bir hızda bozuluyor.

Yeryüzünün tatlı su kaynaklarını giderek daha fazla tüketiyoruz. O kadar fazla plastik üretip attık ki, gelecek kuşaklar bunlara tortullarda rastlayacak. Her yıl büyük miktarda kimyasalı doğaya bırakıyoruz. Bilinçli ya da bilinçsiz, türleri
Published March 2020 by Koç Üniversitesi Yayınları (first published 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Böcekler Gezegeni, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Böcekler Gezegeni

Start your review of Böcekler Gezegeni: Tuhaf, Yararlı ve Hayranlık Uyandırıcı Dostlarımız Üzerine
Mischenko
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you think insects aren't important and more of a nuisance, you should read this book because there's so much to learn. We simply can't live without them.

This book is so interesting! I was both educated and entertained with this one. There are seriously some funny stories here. What originally attracted me to the book was this sentence in the blurb:

Most of us know that we would not have honey without honeybees, but without the pinhead-sized chocolate midge, cocoa flowers would not pollinate.
OutlawPoet
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, this was such a delight.

The author loves her insects and you simply can't help but be swept up in her enthusiasm for her creepy crawly subject.

While I'll never be as buggy over bugs as our author, she definitely gave me a new appreciation for our insect friends. After reading this, I can honestly say that insects are pretty cool.

Very happy to have read this one!
Myles Cowper-Coles
A whirlwind tour of the insect world and the impact they have on the environment. The speed of which the author jumps from fact to fact meant that I never got invested in each insect or story. I wish it had gone a bit slower and into a bit more depth about each story and really fleshed them out.
Story❤
4.5 stars for this fascinating book about the wonders of the insect kingdom. This is a book to savour, rather than to read straight through, packed as it is with tiny snapshots into the amazing diversity of insect life. The author's enthusiasm for creepy-crawlies is infectious and I ended the book with a new appreciation for insects and the many ways they support and improve life--including human life--on earth.
Julian Walker
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A spectacularly interesting and highly readable book, jam-packed with enough facts and statistics to make the reader an instant entomologist.

Not only will you meet the weird and wonderful in these pages, but you also get a very clear sense of the negative impact humans are having on our planet - and the insect world (which is way older than ours).

The author's writing style is immediately engaging and I was half way through this before I even noticed it. I would have liked to see some colorful
Jo
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was so good. As a direct consequence of reading it, I now spend a lot of time telling people random facts about insects (many of them quite horrifying), and I just thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing; it's written in a very chatty style, so the experience was much like someone funny just telling you a ton of stuff they know. The only thing keeping me from 5 stars is that although it was very witty, it touched quite lightly on a lot of things and I wanted more depth. It did have a very ...more
Nostalgia Reader
3.5 stars.
Katharine
A lot of really fascinating info - like the fact that ants can teach other ants - but it took me such a long time to finish this book! The chapters are full of short sections that illustrate a point that serves the main thesis of the chapter but there isn't a whole lot of inter-connective text. This makes it easy to read a section and then put the book down and I can see this being a benefit in a say a classroom setting but for me it just felt like reading a bunch of small articles from ...more
David
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Truly, earth is the Planet of the Insects. There are 200 million insects for every human on earth today, more bugs than grains of sand on all the beaches combined. And they are diverse--there are over 380,000 species of beetles alone. Invertebrate reproductive capacity is gargantuan. In ideal conditions and without predation, 2 fruit flies could reproduce 25 generations within a year, each mother laying 100 eggs per generation. If all grew to adulthood and each mother laid another 100 eggs, at ...more
Barb
Feb 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whether you like bugs or not, as go the insects, so go we. Insects are threatened all over the planet to an alarming degree so before you bring out the insecticide or destroy their habitat, Anne Sverdrup Thygeson, would like you to consider a few things:

More than 20,000 species of insects contribute to the pollination of flowers and crops.

Certain beetles and flies occupy their time vanishing animal dung and dead organisms. Ants do the same with food waste which they turn into soil.

Insects are
Carol Kean
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Did you know that tiny ants, collectively, outweigh us humans? Did you know ants started agriculture more than 50 millions year before we did? That ants and other little creatures are helping us find new antibiotics? Maybe you did know that already. But I guarantee you, most of us have no clue how much is going on in our world, hidden in plain sight, or ignored, unheeded, unappreciated, by humans.

"My humble plan is to convince you that insects are fun, fabulous and incredibly important... ;-)"
Andrea Bearman
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was recommended to me by my mother-in-law. She heard reviews about it on the National Public Radio, local to her. Possibly unsurprisingly, I am a little inept in regards to insects. Its nothing personal, I am just not a fan of things that are creepy. Also, I am very allergic to insect bites like ants and mosquitos; I swell up and want to rip my skin off because of the voracious itchiness.
However, I am always interested in learning new things and all the better that I dont have to touch
Dale
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Review of the Audiobook

Published by Simon and Schuster Audio in July of 2019.
Read by Kristin Millward.
Duration: 7 hours, 15 minutes.
Unabridged.

Ann Sverdrup-Thygeson, a Norwegian ecologist, specializing in insects, has written an interesting, often funny and thought-provoking introduction to the world of insects.

She gives the reader lots of interesting trivia, such as the story of male bugs that die at the climactic moment of mating due to their genitals exploding. She also tells of plants that
Kirsti
Right off the bat, Sverdrup-Thygeson answers a question I had long wondered about: What good are mosquitoes, anyway? The answer: They are food for birds, fish, and other creatures.

This is a lively and wide-ranging look at insects' talents, eating habits, sex lives, roles in history, and endangered status. Did you know that the male swallowtail butterfly has eyes on his penis? That's to help him guide himself into the female. And the female has eyes on her backside so she can see whether she is
Peter (Pete) Mcloughlin
Lots of good info on insects which are the most successful animal phylum that exists on earth. They are integral to ecosystems on all continents and we could not do without them. the author is fascinated by them and shares here etymological passion with the reader. Which is hard to do they are cute and furry like popular animals like mammals. The author does a good job with making you care these less telegenic creatures.
Helen Campbell
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An enthusiastic, witty, and funny book about the world of insects. Her dedication, almost affection, for the little six-legged creatures makes you want to go out and watch their life-long dramas unfold. This book is totally enjoyable, describing a world of activity unfolding around us, most of which we can never see - and, until now, never heard of.
Liisi T
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was the first book I have read about insects, but it was very entertaining and also easy and interesting read. I really liked it. It contains short stories about different insects, how they are important to us and how they take part of ecosystems. Stories are fun read. :)
Amanda Witt
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Features common insects like ants and bees, and how they contribute to our society/life. And lesser known/unseen ones, like a tiny mite that's the only one the right size to crawl into the cacao flower to pollinate it - I'll think of that next time I have some chocolate.
Emily
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book for a reading challenge I'm doing this year. I never in a million years thought I'd read non-fiction about bugs and actually enjoy it. I learned way more than I thought I would, and the audiobook was actually pretty good and did leave me chuckling at times.
Leslie King
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved reading about insects from a different country's perspective. More bug books please. Significant number of bugs I hadn't heard of before...
Drew Pyke
The first point Anne makes at the outset is the significance of insects (rightly): 200 insects for every human and how they have survived five rounds of extinction.

An insect typically has six legs, 2 pairs of wings and comprised of head, thorax and abdomen. Theyre invertebrates with an exoskeleton made out of chitin. Because of this, they need to moult into different stages throughout their life until adulthood. They dont have lungs but breathe through holes along their sides. Their blood is
Matthewcable
Content is interesting but paragraphs are so short, after a while it feels a bit like being sat next to someone at a dinner table who can only converse in factoids.
Jean
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Listening to the cacophony of cicadas in my backyard, I was inspired to pick this book up. Cicadas, in fact, have lifecycles only of prime numbers. Im looking forward to 2021 when the 17 year species will erupt from my pear tree like lava. One learns to appreciate ants persistence even though they marched into my kitchen and stole my Keurig machine. I learned spiders are not insects, but Arachnids. I dont fear them, but I often endure their bites. Speaking of bites, I get my yearly dose of venom ...more
Anthony D Hernandez
I liked all the facts about bugs and the nice new perspective I'll have on insects now, but the book was a bit clunky for my taste. The chapters didn't flow very well and it was a bit tough to finish for this reason. It kind of reads as a coffee table book about insect facts and anecdotes, rather than a cohesive book with a story to tell.
Nan
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I got this from the library and loved it so much I am buying a copy so that I can read one page a day. I need to re-read it slower because each page has an unbelievable story about a bizarre, sophisticated, delightful insect. It requires a moment to contemplate and have my mind blown by the awesomeness of nature.
Jeanne
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book should be read by everyone. I never knew how important insects were to our lives. It's an easy read and quite humorous. Read it!
Kailey Rhone
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I've started watching the Field Museum's video series, "The Brain Scoop." Now a regular viewer, I've developed a deeper interest in ecology and entomology. This was a perfect book to start reading as I research more about these topics: Sverdrup-Thygeson writes about potentially dense topics with lightness and enthusiasm. Her love for all things great and small is loud and clear in Buzz, Sting, Bite: Why We Need Insects.

I learned so much, such as--

-There are more than 200 million insects to every
Kitten Kisser
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this to be a surprisingly enjoyable book about many various insect species that inhabit our Earth. There were some insects mentioned that I already knew a great deal about, getting up close & personal with many of them thanks to running my own organic farm. However, even with my above average interactions & interests in insects than the average person, I still learned a great deal from this book.

I told my husband about some of the bugs that I thought were downright ridiculous to
Realms & Robots
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Buzz, Sting, Bite provides a deeper understanding of the world of insects and their importance to every day life. It reads as an entertaining guide to everything insect and as a love story to these often misunderstood creatures.

Every part of an insect is incredibly fascinating. Their bodies are a completely random selection of parts and features that seem straight out of science fiction. With such a long history of existence, every part of them has been honed by evolution for a specific purpose.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Slime: How Algae Created Us, Plague Us, and Just Might Save Us
  • Wildhood: The Epic Journey from Adolescence to Adulthood in Humans and Other Animals
  • The Garden Jungle: or Gardening to Save the Planet
  • Because Internet: Understanding the New Rules of Language
  • The Body: A Guide for Occupants
  • The Nature of Life and Death: Every Body Leaves a Trace
  • Opium: An Intimate History of the Flower that Changed the World
  • Never Home Alone: From Microbes to Millipedes, Camel Crickets, and Honeybees, the Natural History of Where We Live
  • Daugiabutis
  • Cities: The First 6,000 Years
  • Lithium: A Doctor, a Drug, and a Breakthrough
  • An Elegant Defense: The Extraordinary New Science of the Immune System: A Tale in Four Lives
  • Archaeology from Space: How the Future Shapes Our Past
Anne Sverdrup-Thygeson is a professor at the Norwegian University of Life Sciences (NMBU) in Ås, Norway, as well as a scientific advisor for The Norwegian Institute for Nature Research NINA.