Start by marking “Kado: Lost Treasure of the Kadohadacho” as Want to Read:
Kado: Lost Treasure of the Kadohadacho

Kado: Lost Treasure of the Kadohadacho

Eighteen-year-old Tom Murrell could never understand his father’s dreams of carving a new life out of the wilderness. He wanted to do something else with his life besides spend it behind a plow, but with the family moving to the Red River in Arkansaw Territory, he was stuck.
Expected publication: November 5th 2020

To ask other readers questions about Kado, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kado

Start your review of Kado: Lost Treasure of the Kadohadacho
Eileen
4-4.5 stars.

I really enjoyed this story--I would describe it as a novelization of historical events that occurred in the ancestry of the author. It felt like a cross between Laura Ingalls Wilder and Treasure Island with a pinch of magic/Native American spirits. This story brings to life the history of a little known tribe of Native Americans known as the Caddoo (which I think are called Kado or Kadohadacho in this book). The characters are very interesting and I particularly like the two main ch
Eileen
This is my second time through this book, this time as an audio. While it's rare for me to listen to a book so quickly after reading the story, I was offered the opportunity to review this audiobook and couldn't say no! My previous review can be read here so I'm going to concentrate more on the audio than the book itself. However, I will say that even though this was my second time through this story in less than 3 months, I still very much enjoyed the story and I'm glad the author wrote this to ...more
Lora Shouse
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am so glad I got the chance to read this book, which is part historical fiction and part historical fantasy with just the barest touch of romance. I had never heard of the Kadohadacho group of Native American tribes (they are also apparently called the Caddo), but they are evidently real people. This is one of the things I love about historical fiction – it gives you the chance to get close to people and events you never knew existed.

The historical fiction parts were particularly good, many of
Shannon
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was immediately drawn to this book because I've been working on my own novel of historical fiction for the past few years, which also features some elements of Native American history. I was also drawn in by the description of the setting and story, which described a moment and place in time that I don't think I've ever seen in a fiction book before. I love historical fiction that opens up a forgotten piece of history and teaches me something new.

Kado delivered in spades. From the first few pa
Paul Bennett
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
BLURB

Everything changes for Tom when he witnesses the death of Tiatesun, spiritual leader of the Kadohadacho tribe, and is drawn into a raging conflict between the Kado and their arch enemies, a renegade band of Osage.
His new
Nicole Dunton
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tom Murrell finds himself in the middle of an Indian war when he stops and protects Indians from a brutal attack. One of the Indians passes his gift to Tom and makes him promise to deliver a message to his tribe. While delivering the message, Tom finds himself heading for a great adventure.

This story was impressive. I really enjoyed reading about it. It made me want to go and surround myself with literature from that time period. This is a fictional account of events that actually took place. I
Tonja Drecker
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an exciting, historical weave, which draws in and promises more than a little adventure.

Tom is an average eighteen year old, ready to head into life but still held back. He's followed his family to the wilderness in Arkansas but wants more from life. And this dream comes true, but not nearly in the manner he'd thought or hoped it might. Soon, he finds himself on an adventure with some unexpected company to try to save his friends and family.

This tale weaves around a lesser known tribe, t
Mrs.
Nov 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a complimentary copy of Kado: The Lost Treasure of the Kadohadacho from NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.

I enjoyed reading this novel. A very well written historical fiction, it follows a few settlers through both peaceful and dangerous encounters with native tribes of the Louisiana/'Arkansaw' territories presented in a journal format. This really was a unique adventure story, like none I have read before it. With somewhat developed characters and an
Tiffany
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful story! I was amazed to see the additional art elements. The maps and drawings added another element to the world building done in this story. The author put a lot of time and effort into this story, which I respect even more as he is writing historical fiction.

If I were asked to describe it in a few words, I would say its frontier fiction but with a good deal more historical and cultural context than most other stories set in this time period.
Ian
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good piece of historical fiction that I thoroughly enjoyed reading. The story followed the main character whose family were moving to the frontiers of the American west which in itself was a good story and then it combined some mysticism from a native American background. I would definitely recommend this book.
CassandraG
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
An intriguing listen and a really good story that had interesting descriptions and an adventure one guy didn't plan on. It had action, great characters and it grabbed your attention from the beginning with very unique characters, like the elder when he starts to tell the tale. So when you get a chance pick up a copy and enjoy.
Kristen Ludwigsen
I enjoyed reading this fun and action-packed journey tale/coming of age story. In addition to being an entertaining read, the book also provides fascinating details and history of the Caddo Native American tribe. A definite must especially for fans of historical fiction.
Emily
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fun and interesting historical fiction read that has lots of adventure and excitement.
Bea LaRocca
Wendy
Steve Weber
Nancy

• Shine of the Ever
  • Feast of the Seven Fishes: A Brooklyn Italian's Recipes Celebrating Food and Family
  • The Advocacy
  • The Forgotten Home Child
  • Imaginary Friend
  • Don't Ask Me Where I'm From
  • Peas, Carrots and an Aston Martin (Peas and Carrots #1)
  • Surgeon’s Choice
  • Shadow Council
  • The Museum of Desire (Alex Delaware, #35)
  • Atlantis Stolen (Sam Reilly #3)
  • The Last Airship (Sam Reilly #1)
  • Roses and Daisies and Death, Oh My!
  • The Mahogany Ship (Sam Reilly #2)
  • Taming My Whiskey (The Whiskeys: Dark Knights at Peaceful Harbor, #6)
  • The Game You Play (Rixon Raiders, #2)
  • Sea Breeze (The Phantom Queen Diaries, #8)