Start by marking “The Future Is Faster Than You Think: How Converging Technologies Are Transforming Business, Industries, and Our Lives” as Want to Read:

From the New York Times bestselling authors of Abundance and Bold comes a practical playbook for technological convergence in our modern era.

In their book Abundance, bestselling authors and futurists Peter Diamandis and Steven Kotler tackled grand global challenges, such as poverty, hunger, and energy. Then, in Bold, they chronicled the use of exponential technologies that
Published January 28th 2020 by Simon Schuster

To ask other readers questions about The Future Is Faster Than You Think, please sign up.
Adrian Neibauer There is no need to read Abundance first in the trilogy. Each book stands on its own. I really enjoyed reading both Abundance and Bold; they gave me a…moreThere is no need to read Abundance first in the trilogy. Each book stands on its own. I really enjoyed reading both Abundance and Bold; they gave me a more comprehensive understand of convergence and exponential technologies. (less)

Start your review of The Future Is Faster Than You Think: How Converging Technologies Are Transforming Business, Industries, and Our Lives
Rishabh Srivastava
Mar 14, 2020 rated it liked it
A comprehensive summary of technologies that seem promising right now. But hypes up them instead of discussing them objectively. Some descriptions in the book seemed to be more marketing speak (like calling Google's AutoML an AI-that-creates-AIs) than a rigorous evaluation.

The book also gives a very high level overview of tech – without going into any detail. If you're someone who is already familiar with the tech world, you may not get much out of this.

Would recommend this for anyone who is loo
Matt Birchler
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was ok
Reads almost like a parody of what the world would be like if every single pie-in-the-sky proclamation from tech execs came true in the next 5-10 years.
Charlene
May 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
If you haven’t read this book yet, I suggest you begin now. The future is so fast that if you haven’t read this book, you’re already pretty far behind.

These authors are not going to identify anything that could go wrong with the technologies of the future. If you have read their last two books, you will know by now, they are interested in looking at the potential progressing technologies bring to society, but they are not at all interested in troubleshooting the potential problems that will acco
Sri Shivananda
This is a crash course on all the technological developments that are on the horizon. it includes the innovations in agriculture, commerce, education, entertainment, finance, food, real estate, retail, transportation, and its implications on economies, communities, and humanity as a whole. I recommend it to any who is trying to catch up with the breadth of transformations in technologies that are creating an acceleration towards exponential disruption.
Peter (Pete) Mcloughlin
The gee-whiz wonder of these technological miracles sounds great and likely will come online soon. But under the auspices of Late-capitalism, I see them likely becoming tools of an authoritarian ruling class. Sorry to be a skunk at a garden party but I am a little cynical since the glory days of the information superhighway that was going to liberate us all. I don't want to down the technology just how the author thinks it is going to get implemented by the 1%.
Petr Kalis
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was ok
I should just dust off my review for Kevin Kelly's The Inevitable, same situation here. I just don't understand for whom the book is for. If you follow technology blogs for a while, you read everything in this book previously somewhere, usually in better form. Reading was an ordeal, it reads like marketing pamphlets for C-level guys to allow them BS on next posh tech party about the "newest bestest buzzword".

It brings a drop of positivity, not all doom and gloom like you have in regular newspape
Martin Talks
Apr 10, 2020 rated it liked it
This is a useful book if you want to gain fluency and an update on a range of emerging technologies and aren't already up-to-date. It is well-informed and well-researched as the authors are well connected in these industries. Its relentless optimism about technology does grate a bit after a while as we all know that there needs to be a balance between the benefits and downsides/risks. It is also rather US focused so looks at technology with a silicon valley lens. Take it with a large pinch of sa ...more
Cary Giese
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Should we continue to embrace development of new technology because we can or should we be careful to understand the implications before we do? That is the thesis examined by this book.

“Disruptive innovation,” as the author describes it, or “creative destruction” as it’s called by capitalism, will have to be accommodated somehow. In both cases the assumption is that innovation and/or economic progress is worth the price. That is yet to be seen!

The convergence of AI, 3D printing, cultured meats,
Andres Sanchez
Apr 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Found this book to be a great window into how tech could be changing our world in the coming years, although some things might feel a little far fetched, I remember reading "bold" a few years ago and having the same feeling.

Author explains some of the innovation trends that we should expect in the coming years. These innovations are fueled by the convergence of several independent technologies. They are labeled as exponential tech, which goes through 6 phases ending in demonetization, dematerial
Benny
Aug 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: tech-and-science
The book gives as high level summary to several emerging technologies that will reshape our world in the next decades. If it had gone into details on some of the more interesting topics, it would've felt less like a marketing pamphlet for Abundance 360 and Singularity University, where are both run by the author.
Scott Wozniak
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
These two authors live and work in Silicon Valley and it shows in this book. They don't just talk about the developments that are in the news, that everyone knows about. They share the very latest, cutting edge stuff. In fact, I did this book via audio and at the end of each chapter they added a recording of a conversation between the authors talking about the new stuff that developed in the 9 months since they sent the manuscript to the publisher.

They were concerned about how things had changed
Ben
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I think this is an excellent book albeit perhaps a little optimistic. But maybe not. The author covers so many aspects of the economy, healthcare, engineering, computing, transportation...It is really a great read and an excellent contrast to the typical calamity-reporting media who would have you believe the world is ending any minute.

We as Earthlings have so many things to look forward to and this book covers so many of the with concrete examples. The book itself contains very few specific re
Eimantas Nejus
Apr 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book touches many topics of our life which will be transformed in nearby future. It is written in a style where new topic starts with a few examples of what is already achieved and might be unknown to the reader and then, based on ongoing research, makes predictions for what is expected in that field in the next 5 - 10 years. This approach is very immersive and it doesn't feel like some far fetched utopia, it feels more like something you will see and feel after a couple of Christmases.

Of c
Taulant Elshani
Oct 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Science and technology are making rapid progress and consequently our lives will change radically in a reasonable future. Conventional lifestyles will give way to completely new models of living.

Flying cars, nanotechnology, biotechnology, longevity, 3D printing, unconventional ways of producing meat, radical changes in governance, entertainment industry, shopping and even the colonization of other planets within the solar system will be the technologies and enterprises that will dominate our liv
Mark Abersold
Mar 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
The future may be faster than we think, but is it the future we want?

I rated this book 4/5 because it was an enjoyable read and because it was thought-provoking. However, I have some concerns about how some of the technologies were presented, whether they considered unintended consequences, and whether some of these technologies are even desirable.

I have no doubt that the basic thesis of this book is true - technology is expanding at an ever increasing rate, and some things may be here sooner th
Firas
Aug 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars
Overall this book was really interesting to read and gave great insight for what the future holds. I feel like the next decade is really optimistic for a lot of the stuff in here but who knows? Also the second half of part 2 and part 3 were quite a bit of a slog to get through compared to part 1 but an interesting read nonetheless
VannTile
Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book actually makes you feel the acceleration of the acceleration. Why? Because when everything seemed like in a "close future", you could feel the basis of the changes that were to come, as the ground was all around us, but when the changes are predicted all to be (well, maybe not space travel) in the next 5-10 years, disrupting the fabric of all aspects of society, then you actually start to chill expecting this wild ride.
Parker
Aug 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Alright, I'm officially hyped for space colonization.

Could've done with less time dedicated to the future of tailored clothing.

And remember, kids: to be anti-immigration is to be anti-accelerated innovation.
James
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This next installment in the Exponential Technology series, which includes Abundance and Bold, stands quite confidently on its own.

The Future is Faster Than You Think is a dizzying, yet ultimately hopeful, tour de force of what is already possible with technology, and what is on and over the horizon.

Peter and Steven do an admirable job of not only curating the vast field of emerging technologies, but also in showing how these technologies are converging with one another to create novel and a
Lucian
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Our biggest problems, are our biggest opportunities
Yk Chia
Mar 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Bradley Hughes
May 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really like the way Diamandis pulls together multiple technologies to discuss their convergence. His broad strokes are a welcome set of guideposts to what is possible!
Nasse
Sep 13, 2020 rated it it was ok
A frustrating experience. While the super rich acquire immortality on Mars, things continue to improve down on earth. Social, moral and ethical progress need more attention than this.

While technology apparently is democratizing consumer goods, democracy it self is getting de-democratized. How can technology help in reverting this progress? The answer is at least not in this book.

The elite charade of changing the world..

That being said, there is still a lot of exciting technology in this book. A
Joan
Mar 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is amazing. I had no idea of the many advances being made on so many scientific fronts. I like how the authors presented the material. It is very readable and easy to understand. Some of the new AI technology seems very invasive to this senior citizen. There will be ethical issues to be dealt with, I am sure. If you want to know what the latest discoveries are and how they are being developed, this is the book for you.
Vlad
Sep 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Pollyannaish as usual. I read this to get a sense for big leaps that may be around the corner. Useful, even if deluded overall in terms of refusal to reckon with the facts of irreversible environmental devastation.
Bert  Hopkins
Excellent book!
" Diamandis and Kotler investigate how wave after wave of exponentially accelerating technologies will impact both our daily lives and society as a whole. What happens as AI, robotics, virtual reality, digital biology, and sensors crash into 3D printing, blockchain, and global gigabit networks? How will these convergences transform today’s legacy industries? What will happen to the way we raise our kids, govern our nations, and care for our planet?"

I am not as pessimistic as the a
Janne
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"Our biggest problems, are our biggest opportunities."

Are you interested in what we could do? Read this book.
Are you interested in what we are doing? Read this book.

Flow, optimal state of mind.
Collective flow, optimal states of minds.
Brian Sachetta
Feb 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Overall, I enjoyed this book and Diamandis’ look into the massive changes that exponential technologies will soon create in our lives and the world. He talks about everything from retail to VR to health care to clean energy, and for the most part, keeps it positive, despite the inherent spookiness of said subjects.

If you’ve read or heard of Yuval Noah Harari’s book “Homo Deus,” think of this one as its optimistic cousin. Instead of countless gloom and doom scenarios however, Diamandis keeps the
Thurston Hunger
Mar 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Not-so-covert marketing woven into a pretty happy tapestry. There are serious problems in the world surely, but if one cannot say "there's an app for that" there likely is a start-up working on one.

It was more of a fun read in the beginning, and honestly I did not realize things like a gene therapy approach for the "boy in the bubble" disease and spray-on cutin for avocados have already made there way in to the world. I almost bought an Oura ring and looked up GDF11 injections. Passing on both f
Adriana Rosales
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
After reading Peters's book Abundance several years ago I was blown away with how fast the technology, in general, has progressed. This book "The future is faster than you think" is informative and very detailed as most of Peters's books are. It outlines what is to come and even more impressive he details what is happening right now in tech. Most people are possibly not aware of what is really happening with AI and tech in general, that is unless you follow scientific journals. Who does that? Th ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• All the Light We Cannot See
  • Steve Jobs
  • The Dutch House
  • The Institute
  • Such a Fun Age
  • Watchmen
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb #1)
  • Competing in the Age of AI: Strategy and Leadership When Algorithms and Networks Run the World
  • The Innovation Stack: Building an Unbeatable Business One Crazy Idea at a Time
  • Never Split the Difference
  • The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse
  • Lifespan: Why We Age—and Why We Don't Have To
  • The Survivor: Bill Clinton in the White House
  • Åtta månader
  • A Long Petal of the Sea
  • The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared (The Hundred-Year-Old Man, #1)
  • Broken Angels (Takeshi Kovacs, #2)
  • UNSUB (UNSUB, #1)
Dr. Peter H. Diamandis is an international pioneer in the fields of innovation, incentive competitions and commercial space. In 2014 he was named one of "The World’s 50 Greatest Leaders" – by Fortune Magazine.

In the field of Innovation, Diamandis is Founder and Executive Chairman of the XPRIZE Foundation, best known for its $10 million Ansari XPRIZE for private spaceflight.

Diamandis is also the Co

News & Interviews

“The first real threat it faced, today’s ridesharing model, only showed up in the last decade. But that ridesharing model won’t even get ten years to dominate. Already, it’s on the brink of autonomous car displacement, which is on the brink of flying car disruption, which is on the brink of Hyperloop and rockets-to-anywhere decimation. Plus, avatars. The most important part: All of this change will happen over the next ten years.” 1 likes
“Most [organizations] think the key to growth is developing new technologies and products. But often this is not so. To unlock the next wave of growth, companies must embed these innovations in a disruptive new business model.” 1 likes