Start by marking “Under the Shade of the Banyan Tree” as Want to Read:
Under the Shade of the Banyan Tree

Under the Shade of the Banyan Tree

Life is not about achieving perfection, it's about reconciling with your imperfections.

Poems are fragments of life. In Simi K. Raos unique poetry collection for women, there are blissful moments; deep, invisible wounds; cries for help; declarations of defiance and philosophical observations. The poems and prose pieces compiling the collection are fragments of life
Published September 30th 2019 by Written Dreams Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Under the Shade of the Banyan Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Under the Shade of the Banyan Tree

Start your review of Under the Shade of the Banyan Tree
Merril Anil
First of all a huge thanks to the author and the team for allowing me to experience a beautiful and unique piece of work. Under the shade of the Banyan tree was a mixed bag for me. You can't exactly call it a work of poetry or a collection of Short stories because it is both. This fact actually surprised me, Intrigued me and at the same time kind of irritated me. So I am going to deal with the review in two halves as to what worked and what didn't in the book for me. Let's begin with the ...more
Agapi Gregoriou Loreley
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
"A beautiful maiden, a nasty dream, a sensitive bitch, a stoic queen..."

I am a survivor. I'm a proud feminist. Its only natural to read these amazing words and genuinely smile! These words speak to me so, so loudly on such a deep level...

A massive 'Thank you' to the author, Simi K. Rao and to Kelsey Butts for letting me experience this unique reading journey.

This book is a collection of intense short stories. It is also a collection of heart-wrenching poetry. If you want to read about a
Krisha Bayer
Mar 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Me Is All I Can Be

I tried my best
to talk the talk, walk the walk
But fail miserably
Who am I trying to be?

I strive to be
the best of the best
I fall, lie bruised and battered
When will I be free?

I paint myself
like a rainbow
But end up
like a fool

I work hard
to be what I can never be
So, to save me some trouble
I better just be me.

Isn't it amazing how poems touch your very soul and just reflect in it?
That's how I felt on some of her writings and poems. Powerful. Deep.
I didn't even realize I was almost
Melina Lobo
Mar 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
There are some who await
the call of the moon
Who stalk amongst us
reckless and brazen
Beware of the beast.
🦄🦄🦄
Under the Shade of the Banyan Tree is a collection of poems and prose by Simi K. Rao.
While reading the book I was trying to figureout what direction this book was trying to take, but everything seems random.
The poems are a mix of various topics with the short stories thrown in.
Lone Cloud was definitely one of my favourite poems, just because I could relate to it.
I preferred reading the
Pamela Scott
Feb 21, 2020 rated it really liked it

Id never heard of the author before so had zero expectations for this collection of poetry and short stories, though mostly poetry with less than half a dozen pieces of prose. Sometimes its better that way and you can be pleasantly surprised as I was reading this. What threw me a little is there seems no real link between the pieces. Id be enjoying some beautifully crafted poems then out of nowhere would appear a story several pages long which was
Kelsey  Fagan
Mar 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed Rao's style and flow and how she put together her collection. The assortment is a mix of her own life experiences and of those of her friends and family which makes it far more realistic and enjoyable. Life isn't always easy to write about and even harder to share with others. For Rao, the emotion comes out in each poem clearly. You can tell she took her time in writing and arranging the poems and short stories to best convey certain emotions.

Read my entire review here:
Priyasree
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have read all the novels/books by Simi K Rao. This collection of poems and short stories is different from her previous books but it is yet another a marvellous work by her.
Let me begin with the cover of the book first, which deserves to be mentioned. The cover consisting the picture of banyan tree, is nostalgia to me, it takes me back to my childhood days. I have fallen in love with it.
Now coming to the poems, they are simple yet have a profound meaning. Each of the poems tells a story of
Sudha Mahadevan
Simi K Rao has the gift. She is on familiar grounds, while spinning a yarn or while giving a poetic touch. I can relate to the nosegay of experiences. She just needs to describe and the story evolves. Never once does she sink into the pedantic. Awaiting her next release.
Sonali
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another masterpiece by Simi k Rao ! You cant help but see the world in a different light ...more
Mahathi Ramya
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
This collection of short and sweet poems featured by Simi is like the mirror of life's moments. These poems are some subtle moments expressing the feelings or reminiscing some lovely memories.

I usually don't enjoy poetry, so I don't pick poetry books to read. But, this poetry is simple to understand and clearly written from the heart.

I loved some poems like - War, Me is all I can be, Life an ugly cousin.

The Stranger really reminded me of someone that I know. The poem 'Woman' is heart touching.
Surabhi Kaushik
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sudha
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful poems on wonder women, author. You have penned down their 'Silent screams' with empathy and emphatically too in this book. I could truly connect with the genuine emotions.
Interesting short stories.
I am not fond of Chai but your 'A Cup of Chai' is my favorite, author. Loved it.
Thanks for writing this awe-inspiring masterpiece.
Courtney Giraldo
Mar 16, 2020

• Conduits: The Death of Jinx Jenkins
  • Oliver and Erica: When Friends become Lovers
  • The Sinners' Club
  • Bound for Barcelona (Breaking Free, The Journey)
  • IF WE LAST: After Crossing a Light-year
  • To Guard with Love
  • Learning to Trust Yourself
  • Blackbird Raven Crow
  • Storm
  • Madam Tulip and the Serpent's Tree (Madam Tulip #4)
  • A Night Divided
  • Bury Me Where They Fall
  • Fierce Fairytales: Poems and Stories to Stir Your Soul
  • The Black Cat
  • The Viscount's Revenge (Regency Royal, #12)
  • There is Nothing to Fix: Becoming Whole Through Radical Self-Acceptance
  • Shadows of Exile: Return of the African King
Simi K. Rao was born and grew up in India before relocating to the U.S., where she has lived for several years.

The inspiration for her books, and other projects, comes from her own experience with cross-cultural traditions, lifestyles and familial relationships, as well as stories and anecdotes collected from friends, family and acquaintances.

Rao enjoys exploring the dynamics of contemporary