Start by marking “Getting Started: Making the Most of Your First Year in Cross-Cultural Service” as Want to Read:
Getting Started: Making the Most of Your First Year in Cross-Cultural Service

Getting Started: Making the Most of Your First Year in Cross-Cultural Service

You’ve made the leap and said yes to serving God cross-culturally. You’re anticipating your big adventure and prepared to serve whatever the cost. But now the questions and practicalities flood in: How do I make friends quickly? How will I fit into the new culture? Do I have anything of value to offer? (And what if I don’t like the food?)

Amy Young, viral communicator and
Published August 19th 2019 by Independently Published

To ask other readers questions about Getting Started, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting Started

Start your review of Getting Started: Making the Most of Your First Year in Cross-Cultural Service
Sarah Hilkemann
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amy serves as a wonderful friend and guide for the first year of overseas life through her book! This book is full of both wisdom and practical tips, and makes a great resource for preparing for overseas life. It can also be a wonderful gift for those sending out workers from churches or organizations. I highly recommend!
Kathryn Bronn
Well, Amy has gone and done it again. She writes such wonderful resources for people on the mission field or just in some sort of service position abroad. She shares from her vast experiences, but also draws from the experiences of others, and weaves them together into a beautiful and useful resource for many! I loved this book because she spoke into many of the expectations and hopes and anticipations that I had as I went to the mission field; I hadn't realized that so many others had similar e ...more
Bayta
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Incredibly helpful and encouraging resource!

Amy Young does a great job of painting a well-rounded picture of many of the dynamics people typically experience in their first year of living cross-culturally. She unpacks these enough to go beyond the headlines, without getting bogged down in too much detail. Just the right balance!

Added bonus: Amy includes a lot of real-life stories – shorter and longer quotes by a wide range of people, describing the highs and lows, joys and challenges of their fi
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amy is an amazing author with writing full of wit and humor! Her story telling eases you into much needed advice and insights. As I prepare for my first year on the field this book was immensely helpful and delightful to read. I found myself unable to put it down! She gets to the heart of issues and the struggle of living in a new context. I loved the many quotes from other cross-cultural workers and, of course, her own life experiences. Amy gives a well-rounded picture of the highs and lows exp ...more
Elizabeth Guille
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amy Young has given us a gift! The wisdom in this book, collected from her personal experience and experience of others, will speak into your first year of cross-cultural service and the years to follow. I wish I had this book for my first year overseas!

By addressing areas such as expectations, team dynamics, celebration of the ordinary, grief, suffering, finances, and slowing down, Amy reminds us that first-year experiences overseas are both good and hard. This book is real life!

I highly recomm
Megan Smith
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I just finished reading this book and I am so glad I did..I only wish Amy had written it two years ago for my first year in a cross-cultural context. I remember having the thought part way through my first year of "Why did no one tell me what this would feel like?" Living and working in another country is an experience that is unique. It is hard for other people to really prepare you for what might happen but this book takes you through the experience through the words of people who have been th ...more
Dorette Skinner
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The perfect resource for cross-culture workers

Getting Started is a must-have guide for your first year on the field. Drawing from personal experience and collective wisdom, Amy Young shares everything you need to know to thrive.
Teresa
Sep 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very Helpful

Read this our first few months in our new country on Kindle and found it very helpful! Real, down-to-earth, and encouraging. Thankful for the wisdom that comes with experience, from herself as well as many others.
Tim Wester
Mar 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good thoughts for new missionaries to help improve adaptation
Mdmaurer
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Amy drew from her past experiences of not just living abroad, but also helping others to adjust to a new culture, to create a book that is so desperately needed. Her thought provoking ideas and suggestions are reinforced by the 180+ people she surveyed on the topics surrounding the first year. Her strong voice reveals her personality and passion to see people succeed - which doesn't translate to a smooth year with no problems. But, I believe she conveys that a successful first year is taking tim ...more
Petra Varghese-Dekker
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is such an honest book about how it is to experience your first year on the field. As Amy has her own experience combined with the results of her research among so many other experienced people, this gives the reader a unique opportunity to be more aware of what to expect in your first year on the field.
So if you prepare to live in another country, or if you are in that first year abroad or even if you have left behind that first year on the field and are more settled/grounded, this book is
Carly Nichols
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am in my last weeks of my first year overseas and this book came out just when I needed it. The results of her research are not only incredibly helpful but they serve as a resounding reminder that I am not alone in my experience of my first year overseas. I would absolutely recommend it for anyone moving overseas, in their first year, or even with years of experience, as it will help you understand your own experience and it will help you help others. This is an excellent resource for missions ...more
Nita Kulesa
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Getting Started is a resource inspired by Amy’s experience as a cross cultural worker and mentor for others in the field. This book needs to be packed (even before cook books!) as new folks prepare to begin a term or a career in a different culture. Amy provides sage, practical advice, richly interspersed with plenty of humor, making for a delightful read. For those new to the field, I heartily recommend generous highlighting and tabbing and keeping this book within easy reach!
Dorette Skinner
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read "Getting Started" just before moving to China. Two months later I think it was one of our best international transitions - this time as a family of four. I have no doubt that this book made all the difference. It's such a gift to carry the stories of those who have gone before us. Sometimes we learn from them, other times they give us courage, but most of the time we just need to be reminded that we are not alone.
Kayla
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Priceless Wisdom

I cannot recommend this book enough. It was everything my heart needed to hear two weeks into my first year on the field of cross-cultural service. Seriously, there were times that I really thought she had read my mind. Her advice and wisdom is priceless. Absolutely a must read for anyone going to serve overseas or trying to support someone who is going overseas.
Irene Lewis
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a must read not only for those heading overseas or in their first year. Anyone who cares for cross-cultural workers needs to read it as well. Not only does Amy normalize the experiences of new workers and helps them to see how to overcome barriers and revel in successes. And those with long term experience may well find answers to nagging issues. Well done!

Anyone who sends out cross-cultural workers can gain valuable insight from this book.
Kris
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is excellent! It will give new cross cultural workers an very rounded view of what reality is like in the field. As a cross cultural worker myself, my favorite part of the book was reading of numerous other workers who experienced situations similar to what I have faced, & still face now. It was so good to realize "I'm not alone. What I face & the emotions I feel are all normal to this journey I am called to." Thank you Amy for another excellent book! ...more
Dave
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
After I bit of a slow start, Amy kicked it into gear and pulled off yet another coup. This book is destined to join her already impressive list of helpful tools for global workers. Much of the advice for first-termers is applicable to anyone anywhere along the continuum of cross-cultural service. Every missions committee, every missionary mentor, should make this required reading for those preparing to be sent out.
Cynthia Eden
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Amy's newest book is a must read for those heading into cross-cultural service landscapes. This enriching and encouraging book equips people with tools to "start well" and continue their first-year journey by providing the much needed space to be with God, be with oneself, and be with others.
Jenn
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easy read and so helpful!

In the middle of my first year on the field and this book has helped me process so much. I’ve read all of Amy’s books and would highly recommend them for anyone moving to the field
Heidi VanDyken
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a great book. Really wish this had been written before we left for the field 8 years ago. Good insight and practical help, well written.
Danae Walters
Jim Walters
Aug 22, 2019
Kimberly Kunta
Dec 28, 2019

• Try Softer: A Fresh Approach to Move Us out of Anxiety, Stress, and Survival Mode--and into a Life of Connection and Joy
  • If You Give a Deer a Carrot
  • One Cat, Two Cat, New Cat!
  • Writers & Lovers
  • Weather
  • The Mind of a Missionary: What Global Kingdom Workers Tell Us About Thriving on Mission Today
  • Coronavirus and Christ
  • Rhythms of Renewal: Trading Stress and Anxiety for a Life of Peace and Purpose
  • Yes No Maybe So
  • Be the Bridge: Pursuing God's Heart for Racial Reconciliation
  • Stronger Than Death: How Annalena Tonelli Defied Terror and Tuberculosis in the Horn of Africa
  • The Last Bathing Beauty
  • Lost Children Archive
  • Speak and Read Chinese: Fun Mnemonic Devices for Remembering Chinese Words and Their Tones
  • Never Split the Difference