Start by marking “The Celestial Assignment” as Want to Read:
The Celestial Assignment

The Celestial Assignment

After a sudden death, Will, a misguided angel, is tasked with protecting a baby girl. Watching over her as she grows up and navigates the world appears a harsh punishment for his past failings. Can he redeem himself, or will he fall further from grace?
Kindle Edition
Published February 14th 2020 by Gorgon Blood Press

To ask other readers questions about The Celestial Assignment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Celestial Assignment

Start your review of The Celestial Assignment
Whispering Stories
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Book Reviewed on www.whisperingstories.com

The Celestial Assignment is a novella of just 28 pages by the queen of short stories author Theresa Braun. We first meet bad boy Will, who has become a guardian angel as he is given an assignment to watch over newly born Celeste.

Will doesn’t quite understand why he has been given the role seen as he isn’t religious, nor ever stepped foot in a church but the powers that be have chosen him and he has no way of getting out of it.

Will watches and protects Ce
Scarlett Readz and Runz....Through Novel Time & Distance
This short story was flipping fantastic. I loved the sarcastic banter and wit. It had me laughing out loud and forget that I don’t usually swear. So, when I was asked what I was reading, I answered: “I’m reading this f…… amazing short story - ooops”, laughter just pouring out now! Well, it may not roll of my tongue easily, but in context, I don’t mind reading it.

So, Will finds himself yanked out of his life, in cold surroundings, a sterile room and has no clue what is going on or that he actual
Candace Robinson
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved this short story!! And Will, my my... He was awesome! I loved being in his head and reading his witty and funny attitude! Braun’s writing is always so well done with the best freaking dialogue you could ask for! It was a fun plot and cool concept! Can’t wait to read more short stories from the author!
Dianne
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Some authors just excel in the short story department! THE CELESTIAL ASSIGNMENT by Theresa Braun puts her right at the top of the reading pile in my book.

A misguided angel? A chance at redemption or proof he isn’t quite the angelic type? Hang on for a complete tale, filled with humor, wit and attitude as Will takes to his task with less than an angelic countenance. Will he learn something along the way?

A great read, a quick, and yet, satisfying escape from an author whose love of her craft shows
Sherry Fundin
The Celestial Assignment by Theresa Braun is a very quick read at 28 pages. It’s hard to review a short story without giving anything away, but, here we go.

Will is assigned to baby girl, Celeste, for his angel training. He is not exactly the angel you may want watching over your child, but, hey, God is a forgiving god, right? Giving us opportunities to redeem ourselves?

I love characters like Will. He had no idea what the future had in store for him and I loved watching him learn, grow, and…

I did
Jonathan Pongratz
Feb 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Original Review at Jaunts & Haunts

3.5/5

I gave this short story three and a half celestial stars!

As this is a short story I won't focus too much on the details of the plot. The blurb pretty much says it all. An angel is tasked with an assignment to a baby girl after he suffers a terrible death.

At first glance, he treats this assignment as a boring obligation, but it grows into much more than that. Can he achieve redemption and better his former ways, or is he destined to the same fate all over ag
Eddie Generous
Feb 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Cool post-life growth story. Fun character voice, too.
Didi Oviatt
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Theresa Braun’s short stories are always a treat! She’s really got a knack for character development, and plot mastery in a very limited time and space. I’ve never read stories this little that are so very well fleshed out, and that says a lot coming from an author who also writes short stories. I feel like I have a lot to learn from this woman!

Will is assigned the job of a guardian angel to a little girl on earth. He clearly isn’t too happy about it, especially as the girl is a baby and growing
Steve Stred
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you’re not reading Theresa Braun, it’s time to change that. In The Celestial Assignment, you’ll find a fully fleshed out world. In just 7500 words, it still feels palpable and the characters within are ones you’ll care about and want to know what happens.

What happens when we die? Braun tackles this complex idea with abandon and creates a figure that we both loathe and grow to love. This short – but spectacular – read made me stop and think about my legacy and just who might be looking over m
Chandra Claypool (WhereTheReaderGrows)
Short stories typically aren't my thing but I loved seeing Will grow through his task as Celestial's guardian angel. As a man who didn't live his life to the greatest potential, he as able to see how his actions while he was on Earth affected the people around him as he came to know and get protective of his ward.

A super cute lesson learned with humor and humanity. Everyone should get a chance to earn their wings.

Thank you Theresa for this copy.
Yesha- Books Teacup and Reviews
You can read all my review on Blog - Books Teacup and Reviews

The Celestial Assignment was a supernatural fantasy short, only 28 pages story. It was about understanding what true love is, respecting the love you find in life, not treating it selfishly but mainly it was about redemption.

Writing great, enjoyable and was filled with humor. Story was written from Will’s perspective. His voice was witty and refreshing. Book started with Will was given assignment to watch over Celeste as a guardian an
Chasity
Feb 20, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. They really need to allow for half stars.

I received this for a blog tour.

I thought that this was an excellent premise for a story, it was the main reason that I wanted to read it. Short stories aren’t usually the kind of thing that I read. It isn’t that they are bad but usually I find that I want more and there isn’t more so it’s a tad disappointing. That’s certainly a factor here. I enjoyed the story, the main character was interesting enough that I wanted to know more about him, h
Jessica Belmont
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have read books by Theresa Braun before and I absolutely love her writing style. No different here, in The Celestial Assignment. This short story captured me and blew me away.

I love the comedic aspects of this story. Will is an awesome character with witty thoughts and I enjoyed being in his head. Not only is this story funny, but also poignant, and makes you think about the meaning of life.

I am a big fan of short stories when done right. I’m in awe of Theresa Braun‘s ability to craft such an
Gerardo Delgadillo
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
THE CELESTIAL ASSIGNMENT is a story about Will, a dead-man just turned angel, who becomes a little girl's guardian angel. Years and years pass and Will witnesses how the little girl turns into a woman. A woman who isn't the best when it comes to choosing who to fall for. Which irritates Will to no end, but he is her guardian angel and can only hope she'll choose the right person. Loved the whole story!

Funny, witty, and endearing, THE CELESTIAL ASSIGNMENT is a well-written, excellent short story.
Theresa Derwin
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heavenly Fun

This is a difficult one, as it’s quite short, to give the plot without giving spoilers.
So, the cocky, sexy narrator finds himself lumped with a “guardian angel” gig, and he’s not too great at it to start with.
However, as his first assignment progresses, he finds himself changing, growing.
The time of voice is funny, snarky, wise and at times, kind of dumb.
But pretty much likeable.
He doesn’t seem to realise how much he’s changing, but as we watch him, we’re along for the ride and rooti
S.E. Casey
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
A fast-paced fallen angel story for our current post-internet, post-facebook, post-twitter world. Both witty and poignant, The Celestial Assignment asks many questions about the meaning of life and the value of empathy in an always entertaining way. As with any great story, gives you something to ponder long after you read the last word!
Alexa Whitewolf
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved this short story! I read it in one sitting, completely taken by Will and his sarcasm. Gotta love a bad angel! His journey was sweet, but what was even more intoxicating were the little nuggets of wisdom thrown from beginning to end. Ms Braun calls it like it is, from bad romance to shitty life choices, and it was a pleasure to read something so refreshing!
Morgan Tanner
Mar 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have to admit, a story about guardian angels didn’t exactly have me salivating when I first heard about it; I prefer my angels fallen and rebelling. But knowing this was a Theresa Braun story I knew it wasn’t going to be all white wings and heavenly harps.

And was I right! This story is great. You see, the guardian angel in question here, Will, is a dude who spent most of his life as an alive human womanising like a pro. His life was cut short and his reward/punishment (delete as appropriate) i
Laura Doherty
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
I often forget how enjoyable short stories can be to read. The one downside is that are bloody hard to review without giving away the entire plot.

It seems unlikely that a book of 28 pages can have the same depth of emotion and drama that a full length novel can. Yet Theresa Braun doesn’t shortcut on either character or plot development in this fantastic short story.

A lot of angel stories can be sickeningly cliche, and reading the blurb on the back I did wonder if The Celestial Assignment would
S.J. Budd
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Theresa is a really interesting writer with great range, she is able to write really scary spooky stories such as her debut novel, Fountain Dead (Unnerving) as well as tender touching stories as The Celestial Assignment.

Will, is our very unlikely hero. At the beginning of the story I couldn't stand him but grew to really like him over the course of the story. Theresa does a great job of really bringing him to life with such great humour!

This is a really cool take on guardian angels and where the
Claire Davis
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received this book in exchange for an honest review. I have given The Celestial Assignment by Theresa Braun five out of five stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Some authors are really good when it comes to writing short stories. They're able to engage the reader in a short amount of time (or pages) to leave them wanting more or to feel fulfilled with the story that they've read. This is exactly what happened with The Celestial Assignment.
I really enjoyed this story and devoured it in one sitting. I found mysel ...more
Nicki Markus
Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Celestial Assignment was a thoughtful, quick read. I enjoyed Will's narrative voice; right from the start we got a good sense of him as a character. I also had fun following his journey of self-discovery as he grappled with his new assignment. There were plenty of words of wisdom along the way, and overall I thought this was a well-written little fantasy tale. I do think the cover for this book is problematic though. When the author approached me to review and I saw this cover, my first thou ...more
Kameron
Mar 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
(review request submitted by the author for an honest critique)

While alive, Will was a horny devil. He thought with his d!ck, treated women like sh!t, and was an a$$hole. Even his ex-guardian angel proclaimed him an a$$hole. You’d think he’d end up in hell, but nope, he got angelic wings instead.

Sometimes the best punishment is to watch your sins unfold, see the pain it causes, and keep reliving them until you feel empathy, pain and/or regret.

BTW: If you haven’t listened to “A$$hole” by Denis
Tina Collins
Apr 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Celestial Assignment by Theresa Braun is about a young man assigned to watch over a young girl from birth as a guardian angel. It is certainly an unusual storyline but in the hands of Ms Braun, a definite masterpiece! What on earth could he have done in his own life to deserve such a difficult and taxing job? This is where we must all be careful. Who knows what may happen to us when we die?

Will, as the angel, is a complicated character, funny, sometimes witty but accepting of his job lot as
Jo - Cup of Toast
Feb 16, 2020 rated it liked it
The Celestial Assignment falls within a literary genre of paranormal and fantasy that is not my normal one to turn to, although I am fascinated by the thoughts of others on the life after death question. Theresa Braun uses humour (and numerous expletives) to move through the idea of some humans becoming angels after death and watching over the lives of those on earth. It is an interesting notion of promoting self-reflection through an angel school.

Will is assigned as guardian angel to watch over
Kimberly
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Theresa Braun gives us a fabulously quick read in My Celestial Assignment. I fell in love with Will immediately. He is perfectly imperfect, and he sends a thrill right into my bad boy loving heart.

The problem? His complete imperfection is why he is in this spot with Celeste. He is to be redeeming himself for his past wrongs. However, he refuses to follow directions and breaks all the rules. Until one day, he breaks the most significant rule of all, and it turns out to be his most redeeming momen
Azaaa
Feb 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Celestial Assignment by Theresa Braun is unlike any book I've ever read. It's a fast-paced supernatural tale of a reluctant guardian angel assigned to protect an artistic female.

It's not a romance, horror or spirituality book. Told from the POV of the male angel, Will, readers observe the angel as he observes his human. By the end, you're left with a smile as you see the story come full circle.

An enjoyable, quick read for anyone interested in the supernatural, life after death, or question
Sheilah
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
I jumped into this short story not knowing anything about it, since I never read the summary. I loved it! It focuses on self-reflection and learning from mistakes. I appreciated that the character evolved and I felt the ending was tight and appropriate. The content went a bit fast at times, but it is a short story, so it is what it is.

I have been a bit burnt out on angel stories, but this rendition kept my interest and was one of the more enjoyable angelic twisty tales that I have read in a long
Tricia Varosky
May 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Almost right away, this read had me chuckling. Yes, I know it’s a short story, but I’m talking by the 3rd paragraph I chuckled. I knew right away that I was going to enjoy this tale.

I enjoyed being in Will’s head throughout this read. A massive playboy in life, Will is tasked with taking care of a truly innocent soul in Celeste. It was great fun seeing how Will’s opinion changed throughout the story and watching as he learned more about himself through his assignment.

If you’re looking for a fun
Mary
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was received from the Author/Publisher, in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

I was actually surprised by this story. I really wasn’t sure what I was getting myself into with this one. I also have such a hit and miss relationship with short stories in general. This story is only 28 pages and when it was over I was felt satisfied by the story I received.

This story focuses on Will who is an Angel in training. Let’s be honest he was the worst type of guy w

• Double Barrel Horror, Vol. 3
  • Avocado Bliss
  • Buried in My Past
  • When Stars Are Bright
  • Marriage on Demand (Hometown Heartbreakers, #2)
  • As Much As I Ever Could
  • A Layer Hidden (Campfire Fantasy Tales, #2)
  • Lyrics & Curses (Cursed Hearts, #1)
  • Dearest Dorin: A Romantic Ghostly Tale (Letters, #2)
  • Shadowed By Despair (Laith, #3)
  • Dearest Clementine: Dark and Romantic Monstrous Tales (Letters Book 1)
  • Fame, Fate, and the First Kiss (Love, Life, and the List, #2)
  • Lion (Faeries of Oz, #0.5)
  • Tin (Faeries of Oz, #1)
  • In the Month of the Midnight Sun
  • Come Tumbling Down (Wayward Children, #5)
  • The Bonesetter's Daughter
  • Subterranean
Hmmm. What's this? Looks like Ms. Braun left her computer on and her Goodreads bio open.

This should be fun.

What can we say about Theresa? I mean other than the fact that she's weirdly obsessed with smiley faces :-). Like, seriously obsessed >:-*. It's kinda scary :-O.

I think she thinks she's from Renaissance England or Venice or something. I never could figure out which one it was. (She's really b