Start by marking “Notes from Underground” as Want to Read:
Notes from Underground

Notes from Underground

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  58,697 ratings  ·  3,737 reviews
Dostoevsky’s most revolutionary novel, Notes from Underground marks the dividing line between nineteenth- and twentieth-century fiction, and between the visions of self each century embodied. One of the most remarkable characters in literature, the unnamed narrator is a former official who has defiantly withdrawn into an underground existence. In complete retreat from soci ...more
Published September 1994 by Vintage Classics (first published 1864)

To ask other readers questions about Notes from Underground, please sign up.
James Spencer No, he's not literally living underground; he's not looking up through the cracks at the rest of the world. I think it is a metaphor for his…moreNo, he's not literally living underground; he's not looking up through the cracks at the rest of the world. I think it is a metaphor for his alienation from society while existing on the fringes of that society. In other words I agree completely with your understanding of Dostoyevsky's use of the phrase.(less)

·  58,697 ratings  ·  3,737 reviews

Nate D
Jan 20, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People who overthink, people who think.
Recommended to Nate D by: dfw
Shelves: read-in-2009, russia
1. Irritated by Underground Man.
2. Amused by Underground Man.
3. Sick of Underground Man.
4. Want to fly to St. Petersburg, travel back in time, and punch Underground Man right in the face.
5. Pity for Underground Man.
6. Horrified by Underground Man.
7. Further reading of Underground Man's monologue almost physically painful. I almost wanted to cover my eyes, but this would have posed problems for reading.
8. Glad to be free of the Underground Man, but glad to have known him, in the end.
karen
Jun 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
oh, dear. this is not a character that it is healthy to relate to, is it?? he is a scootch more pathetic than me, and more articulate, but his pettinesses are mine; his misanthropy is mine, his contradictions and weaknesses... i have to go hide now, i feel dirty and exposed...

come to my blog!
Ben
More than anything, this book should make you think. And not about trivial shit either, but about big, important conditions of life and how best to view and react to them. I have "should" italicized in that first sentence for a reason: If you don't give yourself time to think -- if just skim through the book quickly -- then you won't get anything out of it.

It's narrated by a guy living underground, in poverty. You are reading his notes. The first half, his ramblings, thoughts and philosophies of
Nataliya
May 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Imagine 19th century Russian literature as a loud boisterous party. Here's Pushkin, basking in the center of attention, charming up all the ladies. Here are Chekhov and Gogol at the heart of a passionate intellectual argument. Here's Count Tolstoy, busily serving canapés while rejoicing in the pleasure of work, stopping only to chat about the pleasures of countryside with Turgenev.

But where's Dostoyevsky? Oh, there he is, sitting by himself in a dark corner, dead broke after a high-stakes cards
Lisa
Bravo, Dostoyevsky! This is the perfect, absolutely accurate and universal portrait of the insecure, self-conscious egomaniac - pitiful and dangerous, on a negative quixotic rampage against himself, society and the laws of nature he despises but cannot change.

There are so many of these angry men (and women), and they don’t speak from the underground anymore. With modern technology, they have conquered the virtual world, spewing out their self-pity and hatred in long, inconsistent, frustrated ti
°°°·.°·..·°¯°·._.· ʜᴇʟᴇɴ Ροζουλί Εωσφόρος ·._.·°¯°·.·° .·°°° ★·.·´¯`·.·★ Ⓥⓔⓡⓝⓤⓢ Ⓟⓞⓡⓣⓘⓣⓞⓡ Ⓐⓡⓒⓐⓝⓤⓢ Ταμετούρο   Αμ
Κατεβείτε σε αυτό το ΥΠΟΓΕΙΟ- σας συμβουλεύω ανεπιφυλακτα να κατεβείτε.
Θα συναντήσετε έναν αντί-ήρωα απομονωμένο,ευγενή,εγωκεντρικό που θα σας διαφωτίσει ως προς το παράδοξο και το τραγικό της ανθρώπινης ύπαρξης.

Η ελευθερία,η συναίσθηση,η αγάπη,η ανθρώπινη βούληση,το απρόβλεπτο και το αχάριστο της ανθρώπινης φύσης.

" Πρώτα πρώτα,δεν μπορούσα μα αγαπήσω,γιατι,το ξαναλέω,για μένα αγάπη θα πει να τυραννάς και να κυριαρχείς στην ψυχή του άλλου"

Με πολλή μαεστρία ο κάτοικος του υπόγειου μας εξηγεί π
mark monday
Mar 12, 2016 rated it did not like it
Recommended to mark by: Andrew Schirmer
so I came across this guy at a party that I had known in college, many years ago. I remembered him clearly: that brilliant, pretentious guy with his stories and his sarcasm and his nihilism. our classmates mocked him and so did I, but I enjoyed him too. he was a funny fellow, entirely self-absorbed, smart and well-read and amusingly melodramatic in his comments about the world and his life; he wore his pathos blatantly, like some kind of robe or badge or shield. I always thought that was brave o ...more
Sherif Metwaly

" أنا رجلٌ مريض، أنا رجلٌ شرير، أنا بالأحرى رجلٌ مُنفر. "

بهذه الجملة القصيرة، المعرِّية لنفسية بطل الرواية من أول لحظة، بدأتْ الرواية، وبدأ أول لقاء لي في رحاب خبير النفس البشرية الأعظم على مرّ التاريخ بشهادة معظم من قرأوا له. أن تفتح الصفحات الأولى من رواية فتجد في انتظارك هذا الاعتراف، لهو شيء مثير للاهتمام لدرجة أني ابتسمت!، نعم ابتسمت، فأنا: رجلٌ بسيط، أنا رجلٌ يحب الصدق، أنا بالأحرى رجلٌ مجنون.

حسنًا، لننشّط الخيال قليلًا..

أنا الآن أقف أمام منزلٍ قديم، يبدو مظلمًا وكئيبًا لدرجة لا تُطاق، ا
Araz Goran
" أيها السادة، سأخبركم حول الكيفية التي أضعتُ فيها فرصة النجاح في حياتي ...... بفعل الفساد الروحي والأخلاقي الذي أعاني منه، وبفعل الوقاحة الصلفة التي أتصف بها، وبفعل عدم تعودي على الحياة المُعاشة، وبفعل تراكم الغيظ والحقد اللذين نميتُهما في قبوي "
Glenn Russell
Aug 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing

Dostoevsky leads us into the deepest recesses of human consciousness, a mire of stinky sewers, feted pits and foul-smelling rat holes - novel as existential torment and alienation.

Do you envision a utopia founded on the principals of love and universal brotherhood? If so, beware the underground man. And what is it about the underground? Well, ladies and gentlemen, here are several quotes from the text with my comments:

"I would now like to tell you, gentlemen, whether you do or do not wish to he
Michael
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely brilliant and penetrating analysis of human nature in all its vainglorious ridiculousness. Dostoyevsky is especially insightful in taking down what I'll loosely call "rationalism"--the belief (somewhat popular then and surprisingly popular now) that people act in a rationally self-interested way, especially if they're made aware of where their self-interest lies. This book should be required reading for nearly every economics department in the US, where such fantasies still rule the d ...more
Salma
Dec 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
النسخة التي عندي مترجمة تحت عنوان "في سردابي" لعبد المعين الملوحي..._و هي معنونة في قبوي ترجمة سامي الدوربي و دار ابن رشد، أو الانسان الصرصار(أو رسائل من أعماق الأرض) في ترجمة ثالثة لا أدري لمن_ نسختي كانت _قبل أن أبيعها_ نسخة قديمة مصفرة الأوراق مطبوعة عام 1956... و قد اشتريتها من على بسطة الكتب القديمة...0

رواية عن رجل يتحدث عن نفسه بصيغة المتكلم قد قرف المجتمع و زيفه...0

هل أستطيع أن أدلي باعتراف صغير هنا... لطالما أحببت دوستويفسكي... لكن في روايته هنا أحسست به يعرفني منذ أمد بعيد

لا أحد يشك بأ
Mohammed  Ali
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
أحيانا يصادف الإنسان مواقف معينة، مختلفة ومتباينة، فتتولّد داخله مشاعر معينة، مختلفة ومتباينة أيضا .. فيحدث أحيانا أنّنا نستطيع التعبير عن هذه المشاعر، وأحيانا نفشل في التعبير عن ذلك .. وما أريد قوله الآن ما هو إلاّ فشل في التعبير، وإخفاق في تحويل المشاعر إلى كلمات فجمل فمعنى.
بدأت في قراءة هذه الرواية فوجدت كلمات أعرفها تصف شعورا أعرفه، بل وجدتني أحيانا هناك، بين الكلمات وبين المعاني، وجدت ما لم أستطع التعبير عنه، وجدت معاني أحسستها ولكن لم أستطع تكوينها وتجميعها .. وجدت تقريبا كلّ شيء أو حتّى ن
Garima

Shall the world go to hell, or shall I not have my tea? I say let the world go to hell, but I should always have my tea.

Thus Spoke Dostoevsky

There were many things for me to get excited about after finishing this novella (It’s a trap!) but the first and an essentially timeworn image which appeared in my mind was that of a small child, sitting in a corner after being rebuked by an elder for giving little or no thought about the world with its countless complexities and contradictions around her.
Ahmad Sharabiani
871. Zapiski iz podpol'ia = Notes from the Underground, Fyodor Dostoevsky
Notes from Underground (Russian: Записки из подполья, tr. Zapíski iz podpólʹya), also translated as Notes from the Underground or Letters from the Underworld, is an 1864 novella by Fyodor Dostoevsky. Notes is considered by many to be one of the first existentialist novels. It presents itself as an excerpt from the rambling memoirs of a bitter, isolated, unnamed narrator (generally referred to by critics as the Underground M
jessica
Jul 27, 2018 rated it liked it
im trying to become more of a classics person and ive found that foreign classics, especially russian, is the easiest way to do that. not only do i feel cultured, but the writing style and themes are so interesting - particularly with this book.

if i could rename this book, it would be ‘the impossible rant of a cranky recluse.’ lol. the narrator spends part one of this book rambling about the shortcomings of humanity, how he despises modern society as it is, and his contempt for just about every
B. Han Varli
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

aşkı ilk defa yaşamak gibi, denizi ilk defa görmek gibi, dostoyevski'yi keşfetmek de insanın hayatında önemli bir tarihtir

her başladığım yeni kitapta daha iyi anlıyorum ben borges'in ne demek istediğini.

yüzlerce hikaye ile tanıştım, başka başka gerçekliklerin ve kurguların içerisine dahil oldum, ama hiçbir yazar ile, evet hiçbiri ile dostoyevski ile aramda kurduğum bağ kadar kuvvetli bir bağ kuramadım.

onu okurken zihnimde işlemeye başlayan mekanizma kadar özel bir pratiği hiçkimse ile sağla
Fernando
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
"Dostoievski, el único psicólogo, dicho sea de paso, que me ha enseñado algo. Dostoievski ha sido una de las mayores suertes de mi vida, más incluso que mi descubrimiento de Stendhal." Friedrich Nietzsche, El ocaso de los ídolos

Amargado, resentido, contestatario, recalcitrante, ácido, irónico, irreverente, negativo, acomplejado, cruel, pesimista...
Estos pueden ser algunos de los adjetivos calificativos que el lector puede darle al narrador de "Memorias del subsuelo", uno de los libros más difíc
فرشاد
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
یادداشتهای زیرزمینی، بیش از این که یک رمان باشد، یک تحلیل شخصیت روانشناسانه است. اگرچه داستایوفسکی در اینجا شانس رویارویی با فروید را به طور مطلق از دست داده است، نثر او با اندیشههای فروید، پیوند خواهرانه برقرار میکند.

یادداشتهای زیرزمینی، البته مصداق بارزی از رمان کلاسیک است. یعنی از آن دست رمانهایی است که نویسنده سعی میکند با تحلیل شخصیت و توصیف حالات فیزیکی، مخاطب را به مرز جنون برساند. در یادداشتهای زیرزمینی، داستایوفسکی بیش از صد حالت مختلف را برای چهره و رفتار شخصیتها تشریح کرده است. توصیفا
Vit Babenco
Dec 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A novelette Notes from Underground is a conspicuous harbinger of existential novel.
It is like a warning to the future society of hypocritical and conforming featureless worms into which the world is gradually turning these days.
And now I am living out my life in my corner, taunting myself with the spiteful and utterly futile consolation that it is even impossible for an intelligent man seriously to become anything, and only fools become something. Yes, sir, an intelligent man of the nineteenth c
Paul Bryant
Apr 05, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
Literary Characters React to Notes from the Underground

Eeyore

This Accounts for a Good Deal. It Explains Everything. In Life, you see, we can't all, and some of us don't. Gaiety. Song-and-dance. Here we go round the mulberry bush. This book is telling everybody “We can look for the North Pole, or we can play 'Here we go gathering Nuts in May' with the end part of an ants' nest. It's all the same to me." Amusing in a quiet way, but not really helpful.

Piglet

Help, help! A hexistentialist! A horrible
Guille
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sumergido en la primera parte de la novela, pensé muchas veces que la obra llegaría a encabezar la lista de mi personal Olimpo literario cuya etiqueta bien podría ser la de literatura a martillazos, con permiso de Nietzsche, pensador que se paseaba por mi mente bastante a menudo mientras duró su lectura. Me refiero a ese tipo de literatura nada complaciente ni con el lector en la forma ni con el retrato del ser humano en el fondo. La literatura que azota conciencias, que remueve subsuelos, que n ...more
Ahmed Oraby
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
حسنًا حسنًا، دويستويفسكي العظيم من جديد
هذا الرجل المحير للغاية مرة أخرى، يجذبك بأسلوبه وبكلماته العميقة البسيطة، في آن واحد، لتكمل قراءة الرواية لآخرها.
رواية أخرى لا يسعنى بعد الفراغ منها إلا أن أقف مشدوهًا أمام قدرة هذا العبقري
ها هنا، يتجلى دوساويفسكي في أبهى صوره؛ في صورة الفيلسوف، بالطبع.
صدقًا، هذا الرجل ملئ بالمفاجآت، فلرواياته طعم خاص ولون مغاير للغاية، عن أي ما ستقرأ مستقبلًا
ولرواياته ألوان عديدة ومختلفة، فقلما تجده يكرر نفسه وأسلوبه.
عند أول عهدي به، مع روايته الجريمة والعقاب، ما وسعني إلا
وهل حقا بعض الناس لا يمكن لأي
Piyangie
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: russian-lit
I found Dostoevsky's Notes from Underground to be quite a different work from his other works. Dostoevsky's writing style adopted in this novella and the dominating existentialism has much to contribute to this difference.

The novella is of two parts. The first part consists of a bitter rambling of an unnamed narrator who is called the "underground man" (he is understood to be a retired civil servant living in St. Petersburg). This bitter rambling extends to Petersburg society and civilization
حماس

في قبوى، أم في قبري ؟!
مضطربة الفكر انتهي من هذا الكتاب الغريب
مميز جدا في ذاته لا يشبهه شىء
يتحدث عن رجل اعتزل مجتمعه ومكث في قبوه يتأمل ويتخيل أشخاصًا يحدثهم بأفكاره ويكتب لهم
هذا الرجل يقر بحقارته ودناوته معترفًا في الوقت ذاته بأنه أذكى البشر
وأنه وصل لمرحلة عليا من الوعى
وهو بالفعل وصل لقمة الوعى بالذات، حتى انه ليظن باقي البشر انما يحسدونه ويحقدون عليه
فنفّر الجميع من حوله حتى لم يبق على علاقته احد
فهو يريد من حوله أن يُظهروا له الخضوع والاحترام، فيسخر منهم ويصرخ فيهم ويهينهم، ألا يظن أنه يبعدهم عن
Rowena
Oct 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Never be fooled by book size when it comes to Dostoevsky! This novella was just under 100 pages long so I figured it would take me just a couple of hours to read. I was obviously wrong but I enjoyed the read. The prose is extremely dense so I had to read it slower than I read other books. The protagonist was fascinating (peculiar, even) and I enjoyed reading his introspective thoughts about different issues. I will definitely be re-reading this one.
رؤیا
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel
"چه چیز ممکن است برای من خیال انگیزتر و لطیف تر از نفس واقعیت باشد؟"

شاهکاری دیگر از نابغه همه دوران فئودرو داستایوسکی در تحلیل درون آشفته مردی به زاویه خزیده و در تاریکی فرورفته...آدمی که حقارتها, دون مایه گی ها و بی اخلاقی هایش را به کرات در دنیایمان دیده و احساس کرده ایم یا در دیگری و یا حتی در خودمان...داستایوسکی قلم نمیزند, پتک میکوبد بر سر خوانندگانش تا بدانند که از واقعیت گریزی نیست...که انسان حقیر است و میتواند تا نقطه پست سقوط کند, که آگاهی و دانش میتواند خودخواهی و غرور بیافریند و تمدن
Davide
«Aver coscienza di troppe cose è una malattia, una vera e propria malattia»

Nel 1864, quando questi Ricordi compaiono sulla rivista «Epocha», Dostoevskij aveva già 43 anni, eppure ci sembra di leggere un testo giovanile, che ha qualcosa della prova generale in confronto ai grandi romanzi “polifonici” che verranno. Qui, per il momento, di voce ce n'è una sola: la continua, opprimente voce della coscienza, abietta e esibizionista al tempo stesso, di un uomo senza nome, che si dispone ad esprimere c
هَنَـــاءْ

إن مأساة هذا الإنسان البائس على وجه التحديد حينما لا يجد المنفذ للتنفيس من بين الأبواب الموصدة أمامه .. ثم لا يخرج، ولا ينفجر، ولا يعبر عما بداخله كما يليق بكائن حي ذو منزلة عالية.

لذا تجده يتوه في حقده مع صراعاته الدامية، وأفكاره المريضة .. ويتربص بها كالثعلب حيناً، والأفعى الغاضبة حيناً آخر.

حتى يقضي ليلته ثائراً، مقهوراً، منكفئاً في عزلته. يدور خلف أفكاره وكأنها تهرب منه وهو يركض خلفها ليمسكها ..
ثم لا يمسك منها إلا الخيال الذي يتلاعب به.

إن الإنسان المهان، مخلوق هائج كبلّته أوهامه مع ما لا يقاو
Never too Late to...: 2019 April: Notes from Underground by Fyodor Dostoyevsky 12 28 Apr 10, 2019 12:14PM
eBook: Human irrationality 1 3 Dec 31, 2018 11:34PM
Reading 1001: Notes from the Underground, by Dostoevsky 1 17 Aug 07, 2018 01:13PM
Reading 1001: July 2017: Notes from the Underground 17 54 Sep 06, 2017 10:32PM

• Seven Who Were Hanged
  • The Same Old Story
  • Soul
  • The Enchanted Wanderer: Selected Tales
  • The Captain's Daughter and Other Stories (Vintage Classics)
  • Nikolai Gogol
  • The Case of Comrade Tulayev
  • The Petty Demon
Fyodor Mikhaylovich Dostoyevsky (Russian: Фёдор Михайлович Достоевский), sometimes transliterated Dostoevsky, was a Russian novelist, journalist, and short-story writer whose psychological penetration into the human psyche had a profound influence on the 20th century novel.

Dostoyevsky was the second son of a former army doctor. He was educated at home and at a private school. Shortly after the dea
“I say let the world go to hell, but I should always have my tea.” 2430 likes
“I swear to you gentlemen, that to be overly conscious is a sickness, a real, thorough sickness.” 1003 likes