Start by marking “Follow the Dawn” as Want to Read:

Anna Emory grew up the invisible, shy younger sister, and she prefers it that way. But when her father attempts to arrange an unsavory marriage, Anna learns that courage is sometimes found in adversity. Then she meets a boy and his father struggling in their relationship, and they tip her quiet world upside down.

Captain Mathieu Tudder has run from responsibility,
Published February 7th 2020 by Illuminate YA Fiction

To ask other readers questions about Follow the Dawn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Follow the Dawn

Start your review of Follow the Dawn
Find it on: Goodreads | Kindle | Paperback
Age Appropriate For: 13 and up for mild romance and mild verbal abuse
Best for Ages: 15 and up

I’ve been very honored to read Cobb’s books for a long time now. I knew that she had something special from the first time I read a daft of one of her stories. I adored the Steadfast Love Series and I was very excited to hear about this book, which is related but stands alone. I had high expectations going into this book, but those expectations were surpassed.
Tarissa
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"Who would ever wish to love a girl so hesitant to speak, so afraid that sometimes she struggled to breathe?"

This story was written for me. (And for you too, dear reader. But I'm here to talk about me...)

Anna. A quiet girl. Keeping in the background, never center stage. Industrious. Observant. A bit back-handed with polite conversation. I relished in being able to watch her peaceful strength grow, transforming her into an even more beautiful woman.

Her father, Lord Emory, has always treated
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
SUCH a beautiful story either to stand alone or as the companion to the "Sound of Diamonds" series.
Tiffany Reed Briley
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
ONLY READ THIS BOOK IF you have time to get completely sucked in. You’ll be unable to put it down.

This is one of the most beautiful novels I’ve read in a long time. The characters are enchanting and the author instantly knits your heart to them. My heart was invested in the first chapter.

The flow of the entire novel keeps you wanting to turn the pages and entwines your heart tightly into the story.

I can’t recommend this book enough and I am expecting to see it as a best seller.
Brittany
Follow the Dawn was a fantastic book! It was an intriguing tale suitable for both adult and young adult readers. The fear and panic that Anna experienced quite frequently in her life was palpable while reading this story. At first, I was occasionally frustrated by her overreactions to things that occurred, however, I began to see that this physical reaction to the emotional hurt she experienced growing up was something that she would have to learn to overcome. I loved seeing her heal and begin ...more
Courtney Clark
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Follow the Dawn is a sweet YA historical romance! Fans of Rachelle's previous books will be happy to revisit the setting and see cameos of beloved characters. Full review to come with Rachelle's blog tour next week!
Gretchen Louise
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020reads
Anna's timidity drew me to her immediately. Her struggle to breathe when overcome with anxiety made me hold my breath. But then, I watched as she took a deep breath, put on courage, and faced her fears.

With a touch of history, a delightful sprinkling of romance, and a recurring theme of the Fatherhood of God, Follow the Dawn will be enjoyed by fans of George MacDonald, Michael Philips, and Judith Pella, to name a few.
Tara
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It was such a privilege to read this novel in advance and the ending is perfect.

Through elegant prose and relatable characters, Cobb seamlessly weaves events from the 16th century into a timeless story of love, loss and second chances.

Highly recommend for those who love sweet historical romances.
Hope Bolinger
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Through a finesse of description and with a cast of sometimes flawed but loveable characters, Cobb brings us a story of love amidst heartbreak and tragedy. Placed in an unusual but refreshing time period and setting, Follow the Dawn explores the true meaning of family, friendship, loss, and restoration. It's refreshing to see a romance that knows its stakes, but still leaves readers feeling satisfied from beginning to end.
Kaitlin Covel
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Follow the Dawn brings the Reformation to life in this heart-warming tale of redemption and second chances. An asthmatic heroine and widower hero cultivate a sweet romance, echoing the love of their Heavenly Father as He redeems their pasts and restores their futures. Fans of Rachelle Rea Cobb’s Steadfast Love series will devour this endearing story.
Miranda Atchley
A tender romance unfolds against the backdrop of a tumultuous chapter in English history as two wounded hearts are offered a second change.

I had the pleasure of reading Rachelle’s Steadfast Love series a few years ago and found it to be a lovely story. To my knowledge, there isn’t a bevy of fiction written about this specific period in time, particularly in the Christian market, and I think that’s a shame. It’s a very interesting chapter and lends a nice thematic backdrop to romance novels.
Suzie Waltner
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Follow the Dream is here, and Anna and Tudder’s story was worth the wait. Those who have read Rachelle Rea Cobb previously will enjoy catching up with characters from her previous books. Yet, if you’ve not read any of her books, you won’t at all be lost.

Anna is quiet and unnoticed by most. Her uncertainty, fear, pain, and desires are written well throughout Follow the Dawn. I couldn’t help but cheer for this quiet young woman who is loved by children and others yet is unloved by the one person
Nancy
Feb 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was very happy to get another book written by this author. And it did not disappoint. It is filled with a quiet, yet courageous main character Anna and how she’s seeking her freedom and avoidance of an arranged marriage. Her father is not a nice man and allowing him to choose her husband is not her ideal. So she runs away to her sister, who we know from previous books in the series. There she meets a young boy and they connect. His father returns and is vying for his son to accept him after he ...more
Lena Friesen
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A story about overcoming fear and knowing that you are worthy of the Father's love. It was a beautiful story.
Anne Mateer
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Follow the Dawn rides the waves of a tumultuous period of history amidst the churning brokenness of two people held captive by past failures. A beautiful story of redemptive and affirming love.
C.F.E. Black
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rich and poignant, Follow the Dawn captures the bravery of true love and the beauty of second chances. A masterful tale with characters as deep as the seas they sail, this book is not to be missed. For any who needs a reminder that the past does not chain the future, read this book.
Paula Shreckhise
This was a gorgeous novel of Elizabethan England. It takes place in castles and a Dutch sea-beggar ship called Rich Soul.
Quote: Dawn reached pink and rusty gold hues into the blackened sky as I watched. The blackness lightened until the promise of mercy’s light shone and prophesied a beautiful sunrise.
Ms. Cobb has captured the flavor of the time through beautiful prose.
She has captured my heart as well with her timid, stuttering heroine, Lady Anna Emory. Anna longs to be loved by her widowed
Melissa
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Rachelle is a very talented author. I love her voice and writing style, it easily pulls me into the story and keeps me there.
The fun part of this story was meeting characters from her previous series and seeing how they are doing and where they are.
I could relate to Anna every well. Her being tongue-tied and better able to speak to children is something I deal with. When I am teaching I am much different then when I am one on one with someone, or even in a small group.
The slow build and tense
Amanda  H
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I didn't realize just how much I would fall in love with Anna and her story when I picked this book up! Anna has found it easier to spend most of her time outdoors and out of her harsh father's way. When an arranged marriage forces her to follow in her sister's footsteps and flee the only home she has ever known, Anna must find her voice and learn to stand up for herself.
This is an excellent story! I fell in love with the characters. Those who have read Rachelle's previous series will enjoy
Joan Arning
Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Anna Emory was an interesting protagonist who is terrified of her father to the point of stuttering when she tries to speak. When she learns her father is arranging a marriage for her, she runs away to her sister who fled several years ago. Anna spends much of her time in the nursery helping care for the children and making friends with young Titus whose seafaring father has left him with his friends. When Titus' father Captain Tutter returns for his son, Anna learns that all men are not like ...more
Lisa
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received this book for my honest review. I really enjoyed this book. This is my first read by Rachelle and I really enjoyed it and was disappointed that I have missed the other characters in the books stories, but will be looking into reading them.
Anna is so shy and escapes from her fathers home daily to just get away. Her father hates that and requests often that she does not do that. He is verbally abusive to her. She finally decides to escape like her sister did and runs away to her home.
Missy
Feb 11, 2020 added it
"Follow the Dawn" was a fantastic book!

"You are stronger than you know."
These words were so very true for Anna.
Set in the 16th Century Lord Emory was set to find his youngest daughter a husband too.
Anna suffered panic attacks soon after her mother died, and when frightened or stressed they came back. Anna and Tudder are amazing characters in this book and overcome so much!
This is the first book I've read from Rachelle Cobb and won't be the last! I can't wait to read the rest of the
Chantel
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ever since I read The Steadfast Love Series a few years back, I have wanted more. More about the characters that captured my heart in those three books. And after Letters Home I had to know the answer to the question, did Anna get Margried’s letters??

Follow the Dawn was everything I hoped for, only better. I cried. I laughed. And in the end, I felt such joy for Anna.

This may be my favorite of Rachelle’s books yet. Now, I’m hoping that someday, Millicent’s story and redemption will be told too.
Michelle Cornish
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully written book sharing sweet Anna's story. Although this is a romance, there were still moments of suspense where I found myself holding my breath as to what was going to happen. While this book shares characters with the Steadfast Love series and Letters Home, it can be read as a stand alone, but it's nice to know there are more related books to devour. I really enjoyed the 16th century time period.
Sydney
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Readers have long awaited Anna and Tudder’s story and it is here at last. Readers will quickly fall in love with Anna’s soft and sweet spirit and enjoy coming to know Tudder’s desire to become reacquainted with his son. The romance in this story is light and sweet without it being over powerful in the full story arc. This story is about overcoming hurts from the past and moving forward to make a better life. Familiar and beloved characters from Cobb’s Steadfast Love Series also make an ...more
Amanda Tero
Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a sweet romance without getting too uncomfortable with romance scenes. I had read the first two books of Rachelle's trilogy, so I "knew" the characters from there. If I had read the third book and finished that series, it probably would have helped me connect to the characters a little more, but I think it can be read as a stand-alone without having read the full Steadfast Love series.
anna
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
such a cosy, heartfelt read. it was simple but the characterization and the way the characters popped up from the pages made this a very engaging read through and through.
Jackie
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful new author for me. An interesting story that had me reading ASAP to the end. Definitely ready for more
Christina Hayes
Jan 26, 2020
Sonya
Feb 17, 2020

• Waltz in the Wilderness (Chaparral Hearts Book 1)
  • The Fifth Avenue Story Society
  • On Wings of Devotion (The Codebreakers, #2)
  • The Gray Chamber
  • Collateral Damage (Danger Never Sleeps, #1)
  • An Uncommon Woman
  • The Thief of Lanwyn Manor (Cornwall, #2)
  • Royally Yours
  • Freedom in the Mountain Wind (Call of the Rockies, #1)
  • A Girl’s Guide to the Outback
  • The Way of the Brave (Global Search and Rescue, #1)
  • When I Come Home Again (Big Prairie Romance, #1)
  • Love You Truly
  • A Gift to Cherish (Road to Refuge #2)
  • Above the Fold
  • Red Rover, Red Rover (The Accidental Cases of Emily Abbott, #1)
  • A Match to Call Ours (Front Porch Promises Book 1)
  • End Game (Capital Intrigue, #1)
Rachelle is a freelance editor, an author of six books, and voracious reader. If you're looking for her, check the bookstore. In 2016, she married a man with the same name as her fictional hero and they live happily ever after in a fixer-upper by the sea. She's a fan of chai and lemonade (though definitely not together). Find her at https://RachelleReaCobb.com