Start by marking “Don't Ask Me Where I'm From” as Want to Read:

Don't Ask Me Where I'm From

First-generation American LatinX Liliana Cruz does what it takes to fit in at her new nearly all-white school. But when family secrets spill out and racism at school ramps up, she must decide what she believes in and take a stand.

Fifteen-year-old Liliana is fine, thank you very much. It’s fine that her best friend, Jade, is all caught up in her new boyfriend lately. It’s
Expected publication: May 5th 2020 by Atheneum/Caitlyn Dlouhy Books

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: May 05, 2020
    Enter for a chance to win an advanced copy of DON'T ASK ME WHERE I'M FROM by Jennifer De Leon!

First-generation American LatinX Liliana Cruz does what

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 100 copies available, 24 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Feb 16 - Feb 29, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Don't Ask Me Where I'm From, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Ask Me Where I'm From

Start your review of Don't Ask Me Where I'm From
    destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
    This is honestly one of the prettiest covers I've EVER seen on a contemporary book and I think I need it in my life
    Isabella (lives_in_ya_books)
    12.2.19

Why have I not seen this book being hyped up?!!! It looks amazing and highly relatable.
    Mayra
    Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: 2020, net-galley
    I must confess I began reading this book and did not stop until I read the last word.

Looking back on my reading of the book made me aware of the different lenses I used throughout the story.

1. First and foremost, how did the story compare with my Latinx lens, with a constant eye for using what I know about my culture, (my education, my family stories, or the stories of Latinx people I have met) to either believe or be turned off by the writing? How believable was this author? Check plus! There
    Emily A Naftzger
    There were a few points in this novel that I felt were too easily tied up or that simply lacked closure, but overall, it was a wonderful book. The vivid, but not-too-heavy description and emotional veracity made it a quick but engaging read. The characters are 3-dimensional and gloriously imperfect, the plot is well-paced and original, and the message is sincere without being preachy. As a teacher, the fact that this is a novel written about teenagers that manages to include relevant topics and ...more
    Morgan
    Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    When I saw the gorgeous book cover and read the email subject line from NetGalley “The Hate U Give meets I Am Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter”, I knew I had to read it. I couldn’t put it down until I finished.

Lilliana’s story covers so many current events from immigration to the US from Central America to the fact that most schools are still segregated nearly 70 years after Brown V. Board of Education. The discussions started by Lilliana in class and by the group of students bussed into this
    Daina Dame
    Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
    I enjoyed reading this book. I definitely feel this book should be required reading. The thought put into it, helping you understand the plight of immigrant families.
    The empathy you feel for this family and the realization hits that these are struggles people face everyday. We all have a choice in how we deal with people who maybe in a similar situation. Highlights the importance of learning about people and not judging. The importance of family and coming together in difficult times. So much
    Vicki (sun.sand.and.books)
    4/5 stars
    I received an ARC of this from my local bookstore in exchange for an honest review
    I have never read a book by Jennifer De Leon but I must say I am impressed.
    I haven't read anything like this before. I think it is very relatable to what is happening in society today.
    You really see how discrimination can impact someone, as well as their family. And how people struggle to fit in because of it.
    I think this novel has a great lesson and it was very eye opening. I wished the ending was
    Daina Dame
    Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I enjoyed reading this book. Brought back my own personal memories, some I enjoyed and others I'd like to forget. I was able to not only connect with main character but could relate to some of the others. It was like I knew these people with diffrent names. This book felt comfortable to me. It is one I would recommend. Truly enjoyed this one.
    Thank You #Netgalley for the opportunity to check it out early.
    Mary Robinson
    Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Very enjoyable YA novel narrated by Lili (Liliana Cruz) as she navigates being bused to a suburban, majority white, high school as part of a diversity program. While she struggles with keeping touch with her life-long friends, grades, making new friends, and the long hours of commuting, she worries over her father's absense and mother's depression. Very topical, with some predictability, but not at all trite.
    Jolene
    Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: 2020-books
    I enjoyed this story that is very relevant to today. Both sides of the issue of immigrants and refugees was represented I believe fairly. A well written book that every adult and teenager should read.
    s o p h i a
    Jan 30, 2020 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: 2020-releases
    if the synopsis is that good, i cannot wait to read the book
    Julie Brannon
    Dec 31, 2019

• Look Both Ways: A Tale Told in Ten Blocks
    • White Bird
    • Pride
    • Legendborn (Legendborn, #1)
    • The Great Pet Heist
    • Valencia and Valentine
    • X
    • Celiac Disease Cookbook for the Newly Diagnosed- Guidance and Recipes for an Easy Transition to the Gluten-Free Diet
    • Catkwondo
    • The Unexpected Everything
    • Julia Child
    • Stay With Me (Come Back to Me, #2)
    • The New Girl (Gabriel Allon #19)
    • Lore Olympus