Start by marking “From What Is to What If: Unleashing the Power of Imagination to Create the Future We Want” as Want to Read:

it was amazing 5.00  ·  Rating details ·  5 ratings  ·  3 reviews
The founder of the international Transition Towns movement asks why true creative, positive thinking is in decline, asserts that it’s more important now than ever, and suggests ways our communities can revive and reclaim it.

In these times of deep division and deeper despair, if there is a consensus about anything in the world, it is that the future is going to be awful.
Published October 15th 2019 by Chelsea Green Publishing

To ask other readers questions about From What Is to What If, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From What Is to What If

it was amazing Average rating 5.00  ·

Start your review of From What Is to What If: Unleashing the Power of Imagination to Create the Future We Want
Andy Jones
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an inspiring read, a truly mind-blowing idea that actually imagining a better world and a better life is a big step forward to making it happen. Rob talks about how important the imagination is for adults as well and children, and also discusses how current educational processes work against supporting children's imagination. I can't wait to hear him talk at the Cheese & Grain in Frome next week
Judy Merrill-Smith
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This short book is full of depressing facts (complete with footnotes), and yet managed to make me feel encouraged about the future. I appreciate Hopkins's expansive discussion of imagination and various initiatives taking place all over, but especially in Europe. Very useful for U.S. folks like myself who often don't get enough info from the rest of the planet.
Ellie Humphrys
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A well thought-out heartwarming account of how the world could be if we started asking 'what if?'

I had goosebumps at the end truly imagining how the world could be if we had a system where community and imagination thrived and there was more time to care about the things that matter and less about how much money is in our bank account.
Megan O'Malley
Stephanie Faires
Igor Pascoal

• Out of Darkness, Shining Light
  • Heart Talk: Poetic Wisdom for a Better Life
  • More Than Enough: Claiming Space for Who You Are (No Matter What They Say)
  • Where To Begin: A Small Book About Your Power to Create Big Change in Our Crazy World
  • Do It Scared: Finding the Courage to Face Your Fears, Overcome Adversity, and Create a Life You Love
  • Why Not Me?
  • A Bone to Pick: The good and bad news about food, with wisdom and advice on diets, food safety, GMOs, farming, and more
  • Winterwood
  • Unfu*k Yourself: Get Out of Your Head and Into Your Life
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • Four Dead Queens
  • The Gilded Wolves (The Gilded Wolves, #1)
  • Girl, Stop Apologizing: A Shame-Free Plan for Embracing and Achieving Your Goals
  • Year of Yes
  • The Best American Food Writing 2019 (The Best American Series ®)
  • Priest Turned Therapist Treats Fear of God: Poems
  • Cindy Sherman
Rob Hopkins did his permaculture design course in 1992, and around the same time saw Bill Mollison lecture in Stroud, and both of these things dramatically changed his life. He became involved in the Bristol Permaculture Group, and at the same time did a degree in Environmental Quality and Resource Management at UWE Bristol. His dissertation, ‘Permaculture - a new approach for rural planning’ is ...more