Start by marking “The Object-Oriented Thought Process” as Want to Read:
The Object-Oriented Thought Process

The Object-Oriented Thought Process

"Written by a developer for developers who want to make the leap to object-oriented technologies as well as managers who simply want to understand what they are managing, the Object Oriented Thought Process provides a solution-oriented approach to object-oriented programming. Readers will learn to understand object-oriented design with inheritance or composition, object ag ...more
Paperback, Third Edition, 330 pages
Published August 1st 2008 by Addison-Wesley Professional (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Object-Oriented Thought Process, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Object-Oriented Thought Process

Start your review of The Object-Oriented Thought Process
Graham Lee
Jan 29, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was not a fan at all of this book. It's like one of the object-oriented programming books of the 1990s, telling you all about how great objects are then showing Java code riddled with statics and public mutator methods.

All the hallmarks are there: the implementation-derived interfaces, pointless hierarchies where we learn that Dogs are Canines are Mammals and that Squares are Rectangles are Shapes, and more.

The book has very little on what I would consider object-oriented thought. There is a s
Mrugesh
Mar 02, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: technical, theory
I found this book to be useful when I started learning OOP. But after having pursued OOP diligently over the past few months, especially with Ruby, this book teaches things just WRONG!

I've learnt that OOP needs to be learnt by following one simple (well, not quite) concept - abstraction. It's the heart of OOP. Objects are an abstraction on Procedural code based on real life examples of abstraction. Classes are an abstraction on Objects. Not the other way 'round. This book really teaches Class Or
Rakesh
Nov 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
The title "The Object-Oriented Thought Process" undoubtedly matches with what the book actually delivers. This is a must-read book for anyone who not only wants to learn the definitions of object-orientation but also develop a thoughtful strategy towards OOP. The author has done a very good job by presenting the core concepts in a no-nonsense manner. Example codes are precise and clear. The only glitch, I must say, is that several topics and explanations are uselessly repeated.
Patrick Coakley
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book teaches OOP using Java as a model, so you get a lot of the typical Java best practices and general advice presented as "object-oriented programming." I was hoping for a book that was more about object-oriented design and the thought process behind designing applications, but instead it's just an intro to programming using object-oriented languages (Java, C#, and C++ circa the early 2000's). If you've ever used Ruby or read up on Smalltalk, then a lot of what this book talks about will ...more
Adam
Feb 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: computer
Great quick read - good over all Object-Oriented book. More concise version similar to Object Thinking by David West. I picked up the fifth edition, because it appears to have been pared down.

Definitely for someone who is still new to developing OOP, but is ready to understand why things are the done certain ways. Also good to help to improve the design process, like not getting too zealous with OOP constructs - applying some reasoning for using certain features. If you've already grokked the su
Jawwad Zafar
Jun 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Coming from JavaScript background I had a little base around of classes and this books has helped me gain some concept around it. Overall they also tell you how to approach Object oriented design, if you're new to that, so it's okay for a beginner.
I read the 5th Edition of the book which promise on being updated to modern perspective they do but only for the first chapter and I think they forgot to update the subsequent pages after that. There was a lot of repetition of text, and examples, which
Sasha
Aug 26, 2020 rated it liked it
TL;DR An exploration of what good design means in the context of OOP concepts. Lots of examples (in Java).

It fulfilled the purpose of introducing and explaining how to design for reusability and easy maintenance in the context of OOP - showed both good code and bad code. I was hoping for some less abstract examples but it did the job.
Scott Johnson
This was largely a disappointment. I learned very little and the organization was terrible to begin with. There was a lot of repetition within the chapters, a very formulaic "tell them what you're going to tell them, tell them, then tell them what you told them" that I hate so very much.
Joe Canas
Roman Chumakov
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cs
I believe i will reread this book from time to time
Edmund Martin
Oct 03, 2020 rated it it was ok
Rather outdated now, and was not a very big fan of the content presented in the book.
Emerson Orci
Jan 10, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is not so bad. It takes me back to OOP classes in college, all those examples about mammals, dogs, saphes, etc. Despite those bad examples, I recommend this book for those want a fresh start or are new in OOP.
Steven
May 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
This is a good, basic text on how to think in terms of object-oriented programming. Coming from a structured or "functional" programming background, wrapping my brain around the "object-oriented" way of thinking has been extremely difficult. This book definitely helped move me along the path of "getting" the OO paradigm. It is written at a level that someone familiar with basic computer programming can understand, and avoid becoming too tied to the author's favorite OO language (Java). There are ...more
Sergio
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
If you're new to OOP I would recommend you read this book, if you have experience on OOP then this might not be the right book for you. It did help clarify some concepts I wanted to understand a little deeper so I can't complaint, but it felt a little redundant at times and many of the images used throughout the book were not helpful at all, some were... well... kind of ridiculous.

Overall it's a good book and in my opinion, if you learn a single concept from reading an entire book then it was a
Peter Rybarczyk
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
I bought this book at the beginning of my career, then it was fine, I'd say 3 stars, nice explanation of OOP patterns, some examples, etc. All that I wanted to have in this type of book. But... it was hard to read and boring so I forgot about this book.
I back to it some time ago, and all I can say now is that this book is ok but only ok. It's like all old books about OOP without any real-life pros and cons of this design.
Too many words, to little real-life value, there is a lot of books about O
Jimbot
Mar 24, 2010 rated it it was ok
Not quite what I expected, so a bit of a let down. This was kind of like sitting next to a really smart programmer, but you never could really get to his level because he simplified everything for you the whole time.
I guess I was hoping for some better processes for how to break things down into object models. I did give this book to my brother for him to read, so we'll see if he fares any better. To be sure he has little programming experience while I have some.
David
Aug 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Developers, Programmers
Recommended to David by: Rich Gunderson
Shelves: technology
A very easy-to-read explanation of Object-Oriented Programming. All of the examples were explained very clearly and were strategically placed as the book progressed. You start off with the basics. The first 9 Chapters were "conceptual" concepts. While the last 6 Chapters covered application issue as well as concepts. I highly recommend this book to any developer or computer programming enthusiast.
Mike
Dec 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
this book was very helpful in understanding object oriented programming. It used good examples in multiple languages. It also introduced new technologies that can be used with objects (serialization etc...) All in all helpful for the new object oriented programmer.
caisah
Feb 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommended to caisah by: Amazon
The book delivers exactly what it promises, an introduction to OOP.

The main drawback is that it's focused mainly on Java and .NET code and so is a little bit strange for people who use modern scripting languages.

Apart from that is a pretty good summary of the main OOP concepts.
Chaz Hitz
Feb 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any Computer Developer
Recommended to Chaz by: Teacher
I first learned about this book a few years ago when I took an Object Oriented course and this was the text book. A good thing too for I continue to re-read this book as I learn more. I passed the course which was helpful but this book has remained a constant reference.
Ţîgan Ion
2000 edition
The book actually is OOP with Java, as stated in the book ( not like I say it of course .. ) - it is mostly to "hear" about stuff you will have to read from somewhere else
in the end I found just a few nice things so I wouldn't recommend the one from 2000,
try something newer
Arga Saragih
Apr 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It explains concepts of OOP with clear and relevant examples. Highly recommended for introducing OOP or just reviewing the concepts. Web implementation of OOP is also briefly introduced in the last few chapters.
Max
Jul 29, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: textbook, programming
This book was not very useful, because it was badly written and contained a lot of grammatical and lexial errors. I would not base a class off of this book!
Topilno
May 11, 2010 added it
Shelves: manuals-01
Creating Web Pages for Dummies
Jonathan Koay
Jul 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Excellent introductory book or refresher for Object-Oriented concepts.
Bruce
Aug 23, 2010 is currently reading it
This is the first of several books I need to re-read. Updated to latest version for the Kindle app on my iPad - which is working out pretty cool.
Tuan Cuong
Sep 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The very good book about OOP. I highly recommend it.
Paulius
Dec 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: programming
A great book on object oriented programming. My only problem with this book is that it gets too repetitive, it could have been much shorter.
Ken A
Mar 12, 2013 added it
An excellent book! All in all the author covers the subjects well....
Vishal
Jan 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Useful for someone who hasn't gotten around to understand the basic OO concepts. Engineering graduates who have mostly dealt only with C will definitely find this an interesting read.

• Head First Design Patterns
  • The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master
  • Refactoring: Improving the Design of Existing Code
  • Practical Object Oriented Design in Ruby
  • Clean Architecture
  • The Mythical Man-Month: Essays on Software Engineering
  • Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship
  • Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software
  • The Self-Taught Programmer: The Definitive Guide to Programming Professionally
  • Elegant Objects
  • The Open Society and Its Enemies - Volume Two: Hegel and Marx
  • Wherever You Go, There You Are: Mindfulness Meditation in Everyday Life
  • Pragmatic Thinking and Learning: Refactor Your Wetware

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

News & Interviews

“it is normally better to build small objects with specific tasks rather than build large objects that perform many.” 0 likes
“The problem is that when many products are produced, the majority of time and effort go into the engineering phase and not into the design phase. Object-oriented” 0 likes