Start by marking “Once Upon a Christmas: Contemporary Retellings of Timeless Tales” as Want to Read:
Once Upon a Christmas: Contemporary Retellings of Timeless Tales

Once Upon a Christmas: Contemporary Retellings of Timeless Tales

Embrace the magic of the Christmas season with these contemporary twists on timeless tales.

Upon a Dream — A rare sleeping disorder keeps Talia from performing, but when Philip recognizes her gift, he’ll do whatever it takes to see her onstage.

Claim My Heart — Li Na and Colin Wen face off in a Mulan-esque courtroom battle where the real win might be losing their hearts.

A
Paperback
Published October 1st 2019

To ask other readers questions about Once Upon a Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once Upon a Christmas

Start your review of Once Upon a Christmas: Contemporary Retellings of Timeless Tales
Deanne Patterson
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Deanne by: cnnamongirl@aol.com
Who here enjoys fairy tales?
Timeless classic fairy takes told with a modern contemporary twist.
Memorable and fun stories sure to help your holiday season be all the more brighter.
Published October 1st 2019.
I was given a complimentary copy of this book. Thank you.
All opinions expressed are my own.

Chloe Flanagan
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What if Sleeping Beauty was just the girl next door? Or your coworker was Mulan or Cinderella? What if Snow White showed up for Christmas dinner, or you had a houseguest who led a double life as a performing mermaid? Such is the order of the day in Once Upon a Christmas, an utterly charming collection of modern day fairytales set against a Yuletide backdrop.

Each story features a more flawed yet approachable version of a heroine many of us watched in movies or heard about in bedtime tales. And
Jessica Baker (A Baker's Perspective)
These authors have managed to combine three things I love into one bundle of happiness – Christmas, reading, and fairy tales. I’m going to go out on a limb here and say this is THE best set of Christmas novellas I have ever read – and I’ve read quite a bit! Every single story in this set deserves high praise for its creativity, ability to pull the reader into the story, and making a big impact in a short amount of time.

Fairy tale retellings can be tricky, especially when you’re trying to give
Toni Shiloh
Sep 02, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I thoroughly enjoyed the books in this collection (not talking about my own). I can't wait for its release and hope others enjoy it as well.
Susan Snodgrass
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Do you like fairy tales? I do. Always have. My mama read bible stories and fairy tales to me and my little brother every night. I still love fairy tales! This collection is absolutely delightful. It is a retelling of well known fairy tales in a contemporary setting. The stories are told by Angela Ruth Strong, Andrea Boyd, Toni Shiloh, Jaycee Weaver and Mikal Dawn. Good authors to read. This collection was so much fun to read. I'm sure you will enjoy each story. Recommended.

*My thanks to the
Marylin
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you’ve ever loved fairytales and Christmas, then this is the collection for you! This set of cute stories is all retelling of some of the most treasured fairytales.
These stories are written by different authors and each has a sweet flair of their own, however, they all take place around Christmas and have a wonderful holiday feel.
The authors are all fantastic storytellers and will capture your heart and give you warm fuzzies.
Another aspect I loved about this collection is that throughout
Andrea
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five Fabulous Fairytales!

I loved all five of these fabulous fairytales! Each one is a very well written, modern day twist on a familiar story. I loved how each author wove faith and prayer into their stories. It was touching.
The romances are sweet. I loved all the heroines and their heroes. There is a complete range of classic evil characters, a nasty cousin, a "Hun", a wicked step-mother, spoiled selfish, sisters and mother, and the worst (in my opinion) evil, twisted step-sister ever!
I'm
Ebos Aifuobhokhan
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Upon a dream by Andrea Boyd.

I loved the writer's description of things and people, very very skillful I must say.
Telia's timidity because of her condition made her a recluse. But as time went on she learnt to use the talents God had given her despite her condition.
Expectations from Philip's family made him to sometime only think of himself until his friend Benny confronted him and he met the lovely Talia. I loved how he urged her to let go and use the talents God gave her.
I enjoyed reading
Caitlyn Santi
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a fabulous collection of contemporary fairytale retellings all set during Christmas!

Upon a Dream by Andrea Boyd

This was my first time reading one of Andrea's books and it definitely will not be my last! This story was so fun and absolutely delightful. Sleeping Beauty is one of my favorite fairytales and this was a super intriguing and wonderfully unique take on the classic story! I loved every minute! I was absolutely fascinated by the theater aspect of the story! I loved Phillip and
Marguerite Gray
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a treasure! Fairy tales and Christmas. Each of these five contemporary retellings captured my attention with bright, interesting characters in unique situations. The fairy tale motifs are subtle unless the reader really wants to connect them, which I did. Do you like the stories of Sleeping Beauty, Mulan, Snow White, Cinderella, and the Little Mermaid? Well, this collection is for you. I found myself laughing, even when the drama was serious, at the seven uncles in Toni Shiloh’s A Snow ...more
Teresa Tysinger
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What more can a girl ask for? This collection has Christmas, fairy tales, romance, and wonderfully crafted writing! Each story offers a unique experience but, together, the collection is so heartwarming and full of feel-good holiday cheer. A must-read this Christmas season!
Necee
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Happily Ever After...modern day retelling of our favorite fairytales spun around Christmas. I loved how each author wove God’s love into their stories. It’s like Hallmark Christmas movies came early...loved each unique story.

I was provided a complementary ARC by the author, but was not required to make a review. My opinion is my honest review of the book.
Mikal Dawn
Sep 04, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Andrea, Angela, Toni, and Jaycee are FABULOUS authors who did an incredible job in this collection! It's an honor to be part of it with them!
Phyllis
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A sweet collection of fairy tale retellings

My rating is 4.5 stars

Upon a Dream by Andrea Boyd

How do you retell Sleeping Beauty and have it make any sense at all? Were you wondering that?

Andrea Boyd came up with a fun concept to make this work. The very rare disease Talia has (so rare you can't find anything about it on the internet!) causes her to sleep suddenly and sometimes for weeks at a time!

There were some interesting tie-ins to the fairy tale and enough deviations to make this story
Gina Holder
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
The cover of Once Upon a Christmas is so cute and it perfectly reflects the stories inside. Each of these contemporary retellings are adorable in their own way, but not full of fluff. Each one has a Biblical message and life lesson to share along with an entertaining story and romance to warm your heart. One thing that I believe readers will enjoy is the cultural and ethnic diversity of the main characters.
In Claim My Heart, the characters are Asian. In A Snow White Christmas, the characters
Carol Keen
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
We all tend to love fairy tales. This book sets them in Christmas settings. Aptly named "Once Upon" - you can settle in from some quick retellings. The collection is cute, and it's fun in addition to being clean reads. With a Christmas or holiday focus, it feels like short films with familiar themes. Among the collection, you will find sleeping disorders, lawyers, apples in orchards with an heiress, evil step-sisters, casinos, mermaids, seven "dwarfs" and a bit more. While each story does pull ...more
Mary Pauline M
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those who love shorter Christmas theme stories and fairy tales.
One of my favorites at Christmas is reaching for my stocking and diving into the goodies inside. I would take stock of all the inventory inside, then choose something to enjoy. Also would save some for later.

This ebook reminded me of just that. The authors each let me travel to different places and experience different yet familiar stories. Each tale short enough, but at the same time, long enough as well.

Enjoy this literary stocking of Christmas winter treats!
Suzie Waltner
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
It’s the most wonderful time of the year. Ok, maybe a little bit early for some of you, but I like my Christmas reads all year round. Throw in a little fairytale magic, and Once Upon a Christmas has a lot going for it.

This novella collection from five authors who each has a unique voice yet meld together well with the theme. It’s fun to read how many elements of the original fairytale each author gets into their stories. There’s a wonderful mix of diversity in this collection and settings in
Lindsay Bryant
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is like 5 Hallmark movies within its pages... easy, sweet, and predictable in the best of ways. It honestly took me a little bit to really get into reading them, but the stories kept getting better and added a few twists. This is a good, easy and festive read ready for the holiday season.

I voluntarily reviewed an Advanced Readers Copy of this book.
Maureen Timerman
Shelves: 2019
Famous fairy tales that are told with a modern perspective, and yet you recognize the story, but they are very different.
Five clean love stories, and I loved that they are all with a Christian viewpoint! Warning they are captivating and you can quickly read one, but like the candy you will be heading to the next one, and they all are placed during or around the Christmas season.
I found this book to be a quick and enjoyable read, and one I would recommend to my friends!
I received this book
Lori
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Do you love fairy tales? If so, then this for you especially around Christmas I sure do!!
Each of these sweet authors has something different to offer everyone and that's what I love about a book like this.
Christmas is my most favorite holiday ever!! Especially since we know the real meaning behind it! I had a difficult time deciding which was my favorite so I just decided to love them all!!
This book will surely get you ready for the Christmas season after all it's only 90 days or thereabouts
Melissa Henderson
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a great way to retell some classic tales. Each author brings a unique telling of a specific story. Read this book and you will want to read other stories by these authors. I enjoyed reading each story. I received a complimentary copy of the book. No review was required.
Vicky Sluiter
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
What fun! The authors took well-known tales and made them modern. You can just imagine meeting these people on the street. Yet we have fairy tales. Heroes. Modern Day Princesses. Seven….Dwarfs? And all at Christmas! It’s magical.

If you’re looking for a new twist on old stories, sweet romances, and Christmas then you’ll want to grab this book full of wonderful characters.

I received a complimentary copy of this book but was not required to leave a review.
Pam Graber
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Five Christmas stories done as contemporary fairy tales? Yes, please! Most of these were pretty obvious which fairy tale they belonged with. The only one I didn't recognize was Mikal Dawn's take on Mulan, but that probably had more to do with the fact that I've never seen Mulan, or read the story before. Each story was a take on a familiar fairy tale. Fairy tales included Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, The Little Mermaid, Mulan, and Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

After reading all of these, I
Paula Marie
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This collection of Christmas stories and fairy tale retellings was so much fun, I did not want them to end! I loved every single story by these amazing authors, a few of whom I have been fans of for a long time, and a couple of new to me authors!

If you are a fan of fairy tales, you will absolutely enjoy this collection, i highly recommend!
Ann
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful collection of Christmas stories. They are all of our favorite fairy tales retold in a contemporary setting around Christmas. This book will put a smile on your face and joy in your heart. I loved it!
Allyson Anthony
This collection of fairy tale stories retold in contemporary settings is delightful. Andrea Boyd, Mikhal Dawn, Toni Shiloh, Angela Ruth Strong, and Jaycee Weaver did a fabulous job. I highly recommend reading Once Upon a Christmas.
This is my honest review in exchange for reading an ARC.
R.j.
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So much fun!

I really enjoyed this collection. I thought A Splash of Love might be my favorite, but they were all good. Worth the time and money!
MJSH
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2019, book-tours
What a fabulous collection of modern-day fairy tale retellings set around Christmas time! Even if you’ve never heard of the authors in this collection, you should rush out to get this book if you’re a fan of fairy tale retellings. Each novella is well-written and absolutely delightful. A couple of the authors are new to me and I really enjoyed the introduction to their writing.

Andrea Boyd spins a fascinating retelling of Sleeping Beauty in Upon A Dream, complete with interesting “fairy
Tabitha Bouldin
Shelves: 2019
A Sleeping Beauty Retelling
Beautiful mixture of sweetness and character depth. Talia has wrapped herself in a cocoon of invisibility after her diagnosis of KLS. Phillip might be the only one who can break the spell.Andrea Boyd did a wonderful job of making the theater life come alive. I could see the stage she set with detail and I felt deeply for her characters as they worked through their problems. As a novella, Upon a Dream moves quickly, not leaving any room for
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Merging two copies 4 22 Aug 03, 2019 02:27PM

• The Painted Castle (Lost Castle #3)
  • Hope's Highest Mountain (Heirs of Montana, #1)
  • Aiming for Love (Brides of Hope Mountain, #1)
  • Stitches in Time (The Deacon's Family #2)
  • Wyatt (The Montana Marshalls, #4)
  • Fatal Memories
  • Ford (The Montana Marshalls, #3)
  • The Yellow Lantern
  • Practically Married
  • Strands of Truth
  • Deadly Christmas Pretense (Roughwater Ranch Cowboys #2)
  • Trapped
  • Hashtag Rogue (The Agency Files Book 5)
  • A Promise to Break (The Promise #1)
  • Like a Winter Snow (Port Willis)
  • Better than Fiction
  • A Glitter of Gold (Georgia Coast Romance #2)
  • Mission Hollywood: A Red Carpet Romance
Note: If you are a reviewer who would like a free eBook copy of Securing Aisling, just ask for it! If you have a website and would like to give away an eBook copy of Securing Aisling, just ask for it!
I am just getting started and I'm really flying by the seat of my pants here, so if you have any ideas of how I can promote my book, feel free to contact me. Any help is appreciated.

I mainly read