Start by marking “The End of the Line” as Want to Read:
The End of the Line

The End of the Line

A fast-paced thriller set on the streets of a London rife with undercover magic.
Abras, as they are known, can harness these illegal powers, but for con-artist Amanda Coleman – whose father was a powerful and abusive practitioner – magic is anathema.

Published July 8th 2019 by Canelo Adventure

To ask other readers questions about The End of the Line, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The End of the Line

Lou
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
I decided to pick this up because I always respect an author who is gutsy enough to try something a little different to what readers are used to and The End of the Line certainly fits the bill. It's a mix of crime, fantasy and action with the paranormal and in particular magic playing a substantial role. Unfortunately, though, the execution was lacking for the most part. I don't wish to harp on about the issues as I understand the time taken to craft a book and hate to come across as cruel.

Some
Marta Cox
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-reviews, netgalley
Four and a half
I read the unique synopsis of this and then the very damning early reviews and couldn't quite align the two together in my mind. So obviously I had to discover for myself how a small group of human criminals came to be travelling across Russia with a Demon.
As I began this I struggled to actually like any of the characters. Amanda is the main protagonist but she's a hard woman capable of anything and very stubborn and manipulative. Her closest friend and fellow conman is Caleb and
Annabelle Heath
This is a tricky one. On the one hand, there were some great ideas explored, a solid line of horror running throughout the narrative, and a decent enough amount of tension keeping the pace up. On the other hand, the writing at times was clumsy, repetitive, like the book hadn't been edited, with occasions where so many characters were introduced so quickly, it was difficult to keep on top of who was who.

The blurb is misleading too. Yes, there is some stuff about a magical London, but the bulk of
Hannah Snell
Jul 11, 2019 rated it liked it
This is certainly a unique setting; a present-day London where magic is outlawed, crime is violent and magicians are useful for criminal gangs. One gang tries to raise a demon, thinking that they can control and bind it, only to quickly find that no one has that ability and that they now need to destroy what they've made. Enter Amanda Coleman, Abra (magic-user) murderer, magic hater and damaged woman, alongside her band of mis-fit criminals.

The whole novel is dark, gritty and blood-thirsty. It o
Sarah  Loves Books and tea
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
This was an interesting book and I am torn over which rating I should give – it was really fast paced from the very beginning and unlike anything I have read before and I loved the premise of the novel but the execution left a lot to be desired. Most of the action takes place on a train where a group of criminals are trying to dispose of a demon which they inadvertently raised to help them with a heist!

The bones of a good story are here and I liked the mix of fantasy and gritty thriller, howeve
Jul 01, 2019 rated it liked it
In a world where magic is real and controlled by criminals, a small group of criminals is racing to deliver a demon captured in a human body to a sacred site where they can return it to hell. Told in real time and flashbacks, the reader learns what led this band of misfits to their current situation, and just how dangerous their task is. Trapped in a freezing cold train carriage a young witch must decipher her mother's notes to understand the banishing spell, a young criminal must battle with hi ...more
Sue Plant
Jul 03, 2019 rated it liked it
would like to thank netgalley and the publisher for letting me read this gritty novel

how far would you go to help your family...

a summoned demon
a alba that uses magic
blood magic

a band of outlaws that go their own way, their leader amanda hates anything to do with magic after a childhood being bled by her father for his own use with magic

her band of men are tasked with banishing a demon but along the way the demon gains the upper hand...
most of the action takes place on a train where they are on
Helen White
Jul 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime, fantasy, thriller
This fantasy thriller finds 5 characters trapped in a train carriage attempting to expel a demon. Three criminals, one Abra and the demon himself. The story jumps between characters and between past and present so you get a glimpse of how they all got here.
For me this had a real dip about halfway through when it seemed to get really repetitive. There's only so many times you can all try and outsmart a demon and fail.
Thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for the review copy.
Anna Tan
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books, review-copy
I've been sitting on this review a little because I wanted to separate the book and my personal reaction to the themes. Because I started off the book with "ooooh MAGICAL LONDON! So exciting!" descended into "Ugh what is this creepy Exorcist stuff", nearly stopped reading it, and then pushed on with an overall "eh, not bad, not bad at all!"

(Let's say an average 3.5 stars? Excluding my squick moments.)

So content warning: There's demon summoning & possession in this book, which might be a bit
Annette Jordan
In a London where magic has been banned, and magicians, or "Abras" as they are know, work for criminal gangs , a demon summoning goes very badly wrong, unleashing a force more terrible and terrifying than most Abras could even imagine. Despite hating magic and everything it involves, con artist Amanda is forced to try to destroy the demon, using a crew of people waiting for an opportunity to double cross her. Their mission is to transport the human host and the demon temporarily trapped inside t ...more
Billie
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A gritty and fast-paced thriller set on a perilous journey through darkest Siberia with a demon, captured on the streets of a London rife with undercover magic.
When her criminal crew decide to hire an Abra to help with their heists, they don’t expect to raise a demon, or to quickly lose control of it. Now Coleman and her crew mus
Lexi
May 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019
This book is about Amanda and her crew of criminals who are stuck in a train car across Russia to destroy a demon. There are flashbacks about how it started and a bit about the heists but what you learn about the world is mostly told and not shown. This is very much a first novel, as the writing is more tell than show. It takes some time to care about the characters, and all of them are idiots. Most of the issues even with the demon are all of their own making. Also, sticking an entire book most ...more
Mary
Jul 02, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a curious mix of thriller, horror and magic. Fast-paced, dark and intense the novel centres on a group of criminals/con artists travelling to Russia in a van with a demon in tow. Their mission is to get to a remote stone circle when they can destroy the said demon. Set in a world where magic has been banned, and Agras (magicians) now form criminal gangs, this is a book which is really difficult to categorise.

I enjoyed the premise and there was certainly plenty of action to keep the read
Lucy Woolhouse
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
I found the premise of this book intriguing but in actuality I found it difficult to get on with. The characters were interesting but not as well developed as I would have liked them to be, due to the necessity of only getting to know them through flashback. I also found the demon character lacked menace for me. There were a couple of interesting twists but I wouldn't go out of my way to read another book.
Hazel
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was ok

I read the description and thought it would be a fantastic book. Loved the idea and the themes of magic and demons with the heist thrown in too.

Sadly I didnt enjoy this book. I didnt gel with any of the characters and found it very difficult to even like the main protagonists in it.

Thanks to Netgalley and Canelo for the ARc. (Review is my own opinion)
Vivienne
A rare DNF for me at 20%. Although certainly an intriguing premise I found being thrown into the action on page 1 and the level of violence just wasn’t working for me.

I had it via NetGalley so did a ‘won’t be giving feedback’ form to its publishers.
michelle  Simons
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
A totally epic roller coaster of a ride apocalypse book. Which takes you to the brink of existence.

A great read.
Andy Thorn
Jul 07, 2019
Ashley
Jul 07, 2019
Gray Williams was born in Glasgow and raised in Southampton. He studied Creative Writing at Bath Spa University and has had short stories published in Abyss and Apex, Electric Spec and the Something Wicked 2013 anthology. He now lives in East London with his wife, who fell in love with him after reading an early draft of one of his short stories.