Start by marking “The End of the Line” as Want to Read:
The End of the Line

The End of the Line

A fast-paced thriller set on the streets of a London rife with undercover magic.
Abras, as they are known, can harness these illegal powers, but for con-artist Amanda Coleman – whose father was a powerful and abusive practitioner – magic is anathema.

Published July 8th 2019 by Canelo Adventure

To ask other readers questions about The End of the Line, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The End of the Line

Start your review of The End of the Line
Lou
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
I decided to pick this up because I always respect an author who is gutsy enough to try something a little different to what readers are used to and The End of the Line certainly fits the bill. It's a mix of crime, fantasy and action with the paranormal and in particular magic playing a substantial role. Unfortunately, though, the execution was lacking for the most part. I don't wish to harp on about the issues as I understand the time taken to craft a book and hate to come across as cruel.

Some
Marta Cox
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-reviews, netgalley
Four and a half
I read the unique synopsis of this and then the very damning early reviews and couldn't quite align the two together in my mind. So obviously I had to discover for myself how a small group of human criminals came to be travelling across Russia with a Demon.
As I began this I struggled to actually like any of the characters. Amanda is the main protagonist but she's a hard woman capable of anything and very stubborn and manipulative. Her closest friend and fellow conman is Caleb and
Anna Stephens
Jul 22, 2019 rated it liked it
A solid debut with some definite promise, the book features a plethora of time slips as we see both the current action, mostly confined claustrophobically to a small train carriage speeding through the Siberian tundra, and years, months and only days before in the form of flashbacks to deepen the story of a demon summoned by magic who then escapes control and goes on a rampage.
My favourite character was Caleb and I would have loved to have seen the story from his POV alongside Amanda's, to prov
Billie
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A gritty and fast-paced thriller set on a perilous journey through darkest Siberia with a demon, captured on the streets of a London rife with undercover magic.
When her criminal crew decide to hire an Abra to help with their heists, they don’t expect to raise a demon, or to quickly lose control of it. Now Coleman and her crew mus
Horror DNA
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tony-jones
Sometimes you read a book and almost give up on it and then after a while you’re happy you never threw in that towel. The End of the Line, the debut novel of Gray Williams, is a book of that type. I found the first 25% both confusing and frustrating, but once the numerous character timelines become slightly clearer the book becomes more enjoyable. The action is set in an alternative version of our world where magic has been outlawed since the Second World War. However, when the plot starts movin ...more
Annabelle Heath
This is a tricky one. On the one hand, there were some great ideas explored, a solid line of horror running throughout the narrative, and a decent enough amount of tension keeping the pace up. On the other hand, the writing at times was clumsy, repetitive, like the book hadn't been edited, with occasions where so many characters were introduced so quickly, it was difficult to keep on top of who was who.

The blurb is misleading too. Yes, there is some stuff about a magical London, but the bulk of
Hannah Snell
Jul 11, 2019 rated it liked it
This is certainly a unique setting; a present-day London where magic is outlawed, crime is violent and magicians are useful for criminal gangs. One gang tries to raise a demon, thinking that they can control and bind it, only to quickly find that no one has that ability and that they now need to destroy what they've made. Enter Amanda Coleman, Abra (magic-user) murderer, magic hater and damaged woman, alongside her band of mis-fit criminals.

The whole novel is dark, gritty and blood-thirsty. It o
Lauren Easey
Jul 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I received this book free from NetGalley.

This one was really interesting to me. As a big fantasy reader, I was quite shocked that this book was fantasy, considering the 'thriller-esque' cover design. Simply looking at the cover, I'd think that this was a serial killer thriller set in some snowy wilderness. Having now read the book, I think it would portray the story a lot better with some sort of demon figure/face included in the image. But anyway, back to the book review.

I found this book very
Sarah  Loves Books and tea
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
This was an interesting book and I am torn over which rating I should give – it was really fast paced from the very beginning and unlike anything I have read before and I loved the premise of the novel but the execution left a lot to be desired. Most of the action takes place on a train where a group of criminals are trying to dispose of a demon which they inadvertently raised to help them with a heist!

The bones of a good story are here and I liked the mix of fantasy and gritty thriller, howeve
Sue Plant
Jul 03, 2019 rated it liked it
would like to thank netgalley and the publisher for letting me read this gritty novel

how far would you go to help your family...

a summoned demon
a alba that uses magic
blood magic

a band of outlaws that go their own way, their leader amanda hates anything to do with magic after a childhood being bled by her father for his own use with magic

her band of men are tasked with banishing a demon but along the way the demon gains the upper hand...
most of the action takes place on a train where they are on
Jason
Sep 02, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable read, well narated. Did the job for the commute home
Dymphna
May 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
I don’t understand why this book has such a low overall rating. It was great and I would recommend it to any of my friends that enjoy horror or thrillers.
Anna Tan
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-copy, e-books, srfc
I've been sitting on this review a little because I wanted to separate the book and my personal reaction to the themes. Because I started off the book with "ooooh MAGICAL LONDON! So exciting!" descended into "Ugh what is this creepy Exorcist stuff", nearly stopped reading it, and then pushed on with an overall "eh, not bad, not bad at all!"

(Let's say an average 3.5 stars? Excluding my squick moments.)

So content warning: There's demon summoning & possession in this book, which might be a bit too
Helen White
Jul 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, crime, thriller
This fantasy thriller finds 5 characters trapped in a train carriage attempting to expel a demon. Three criminals, one Abra and the demon himself. The story jumps between characters and between past and present so you get a glimpse of how they all got here.
For me this had a real dip about halfway through when it seemed to get really repetitive. There's only so many times you can all try and outsmart a demon and fail.
Thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for the review copy.
Matthew Duffy
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I normally steer clear of books that have magic as their central theme as they are not really my cup of tea, but I am really glad that I gave this one a go, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. While it’s central story is about a demon that needs to be banished by magical means, it’s actually a character based story that is much more about the people and the journey that they take to get to their goal.

The book starts with a bang and a bunch of characters who you know very little about. As they embark on
Anna Szabó
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
When I start reading a new book I am excited and anxious at the same time. It wasn’t any different when I started reading The End of the Line.

To put it simply the book is about magic. It is set in a world very much like ours but in this one magic exists. It is outlawed though. People who can do magic are called Abras. Amanda Coleman’s father was one of them. Amanda hates magic and does everything she can to keep it out of her life. But she has to deal with it and even magic herself to stop the
Jul 01, 2019 rated it liked it
In a world where magic is real and controlled by criminals, a small group of criminals is racing to deliver a demon captured in a human body to a sacred site where they can return it to hell. Told in real time and flashbacks, the reader learns what led this band of misfits to their current situation, and just how dangerous their task is. Trapped in a freezing cold train carriage a young witch must decipher her mother's notes to understand the banishing spell, a young criminal must battle with hi ...more
Joanne Wood
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well…..this was a strange one and no mistake!

The basic gist is the transportation of a demon to Siberia-ish so a ceremony can be carried out to send it back where it came from (I think it only works on demons, so don’t be crating up your bothersome neighbours….unless you absolutely must).

The action takes place in a world where magic is a thing and bad guys use it for their own ends, much as you’d expect. It starts with a fairly startling RTA and fails to cheer up from there! The story is told fr
Miriam
Witches, magic, and demons populate this thriller. There's a race to put the demon "back in the bottle" as its evil magic seeps into the world. Set in an alternative London after WWII when witches were outlawed, this thriller sweeps back and forth between the drive to eradicate the demon and the extensive backstory. It's a convoluted tale that gets lost in the time and plot shifting.

The reader has the accents nailed. For a longer discussion of the performance, see AudioFile Magazine http://www.a
michelle  Simons
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
A totally epic roller coaster of a ride apocalypse book. Which takes you to the brink of existence.

A great read.
Kristine
Jul 21, 2019 rated it did not like it
Ugh, I made it. I marked it as DNF for a few days but it broke my heart to not be able to push through it. So I read some stuff I liked and then came back to just put up with it and marathon read it tonight to get it off my list.

It took me 10 minutes reading the first page and I was thoroughly lost. This story uses the technique of starting in the present day and then giving you flashbacks to fill in the history as to how we ended up here. It also tells the story from multiple perspectives but
Annette Jordan
In a London where magic has been banned, and magicians, or "Abras" as they are know, work for criminal gangs , a demon summoning goes very badly wrong, unleashing a force more terrible and terrifying than most Abras could even imagine. Despite hating magic and everything it involves, con artist Amanda is forced to try to destroy the demon, using a crew of people waiting for an opportunity to double cross her. Their mission is to transport the human host and the demon temporarily trapped inside t ...more
Jane Hunt
Aug 25, 2019 rated it liked it

Fantasy and paranormal fiction do not have the popularity of a few years ago. The current trend for fusion in genres allows for paranormal and fantasy themes, to fuse with the crime fiction genre, something which has always been popular in graphic novels.

‘The End of the Line’, is a crime based story set in a dystopian world, where magic is outlawed, and paranormals are used to further criminal ends, often, as in this case, with disastrous results.

The violent world setting of this novel is immedi
Andy Thorn
Jul 24, 2019 rated it liked it
The End of the Line is a dark, gritty, supernatural thriller. For me, the book got stronger as I went on, the final third being a tense, violent, psychological thriller with supernatural elements and some fascinating characters exploring the questions of how far would you go and what would you sacrifice for ideas and people who are important to you. Bravo indeed. This final third would not have been possible without some excellent world-building and character development in the previous part of ...more
Lexi
May 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019
This book is about Amanda and her crew of criminals who are stuck in a train car across Russia to destroy a demon. There are flashbacks about how it started and a bit about the heists but what you learn about the world is mostly told and not shown. This is very much a first novel, as the writing is more tell than show. It takes some time to care about the characters, and all of them are idiots. Most of the issues even with the demon are all of their own making. Also, sticking an entire book most ...more
Caroline Price
Aug 13, 2020 rated it liked it
The End of the Line by Gray Williams
Con-artist, Amanda Coleman lives in a London where magic is hidden but can be accessed by undercover magicians known as Abras. Amanda's father was a very powerful and abusive magician and for that reason she shuns magic completely . However her criminal crew hire an Abra to help them with their crimes and a powerful demon is accidentally raised. The only solution is to reach a stone circle in Siberia where the demon can be killed and the demon is growing in p
Kirsty
Aug 12, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
I received a free digital copy of this book from the publishers via NetGalley.

DNFed at 15%

I just couldn’t get into this at all. The writing didn’t work for me, it just couldn’t hold my attention. I did like the bits of the world that I managed to grasp onto though. The characters felt really flat and impossible to care about.
I could have kept forcing myself through this, but I need to learn when to give up for my own reading health.
Some reviews do state that this one gets better as you get fur
Mary
Jul 02, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a curious mix of thriller, horror and magic. Fast-paced, dark and intense the novel centres on a group of criminals/con artists travelling to Russia in a van with a demon in tow. Their mission is to get to a remote stone circle when they can destroy the said demon. Set in a world where magic has been banned, and Agras (magicians) now form criminal gangs, this is a book which is really difficult to categorise.

I enjoyed the premise and there was certainly plenty of action to keep the read
Pritpal
Aug 05, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a book set in a world were magic is real but illegal in the UK. In the background of the story you hear of a movement to legalise magic. Here the story focusses on a group of people brought together via a criminal gang to try and kill a demon that they summoned and lost control of before the demon can destroy them.

This all takes place over a train journey to a stone circle in Siberia and the story of how they got there is told via flashbacks from the characters viewpoints. It's a dark an
Lel Budge
Oct 08, 2020 rated it liked it
The End Of The Line is a mix of crime fiction and fantasy, with plenty of action and magic.

There are quite a few characters and the timeline jumps between the past and present as the story unfolds. Mainly set in a small train carriage, a demon had been summoned and somehow escapes only to go on a rampage, so the story is around their travels to Russia to find it.

This has a clever plot, but I found it quite confusing, especially the first half, as the story gradually comes together. It has a tens

• The Vanished Bride (Brontë Sisters Mystery #1)
  • Gone (Dr. Bloom, #1)
  • The Killings at Kingfisher Hill (New Hercule Poirot Mysteries, #4)
  • In the Night Wood
  • The Nesting
  • The House Party
  • Beneath the Surface
  • The Other People
  • The Heresy Within (The Ties that Bind, #1)
  • One Night in Drake Mansion (Skeptic Detective, #1)
  • Seven Days
  • Lies, Lies, Lies
Gray Williams was born in Glasgow and raised in Southampton. He studied Creative Writing at Bath Spa University and has had short stories published in Abyss and Apex, Electric Spec and the Something Wicked 2013 anthology. He now lives in East London with his wife, who fell in love with him after reading an early draft of one of his short stories.