Start by marking “Programming TypeScript: Making Your JavaScript Applications Scale” as Want to Read:
Programming TypeScript: Making Your JavaScript Applications Scale

Programming TypeScript: Making Your JavaScript Applications Scale

Any programmer working with a dynamically typed language will tell you how hard it is to scale to more lines of code and more engineers. That’s why Facebook, Google, and Microsoft invented gradual static type layers for their dynamically typed JavaScript and Python code. This practical book shows you how one such type layer, TypeScript, is unique among them: it makes progr

Published April 25th 2019 by O'Reilly Media

To ask other readers questions about Programming TypeScript, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Programming TypeScript

Start your review of Programming TypeScript: Making Your JavaScript Applications Scale
Stefan Kanev
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is definitely the book to learn TypeScript from.

It’s an introduction to the language at exactly the pace I prefer – no time is wasted on beginner stuff (like explaining what a “for” loop is) and subjects are covered in just the right amount of detail – enough to get a proper sense of how things work without needing to try them, but not too much to bog you down in trivia.

Pretty much the whole language is covered. I highly recommend it if you’re learning TypeScript. You can then follow it up
Juriy
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tech
Quite an extensive dive into TypeScript. Helped me fill in a few gaps, especially the advanced types section.

I expected more info on React (and possibly Redux) with examples of typing out HOC's, defaultProps, reducers, etc. but I can see how the author wanted to focus more on general topics and only briefly mention popular libraries.

I was also surprised to not see so much as a single mention of Flow.js and how it compares to TypeScript (especially since Boris, being at FB, surely is very much f
Stathis Dim
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Just read the docs, the explanations are far better than this book.
Thomas
Apr 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, this was a really solid intro to Typescript. A couple words of caution, though. First, if you don't already have some background with Javascript, this book might be difficult. The author does not really cover the syntax of the language itself so much as focusing on the type annotations. Second, there are definitely some typos. At a quick glance, it looked like they were present in both the print and electronic editions. If you have a general idea of what you're doing, they likely won't ...more
Jon Jones
Feb 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
I've been wanting to learn more about Typescript for a few years and this book definitely helped. My background is 10 years of C#. About 2 years ago I decided to learn and work with a Javascript stack and I've been working daily with React and Node.

Having a statically-typed compiler that sits on top of Javascript is something I've been wanting to implement in my projects for a while but finding the time has been hard>

This book does a good job ox explaining all the options, the different types,
Matija
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
JavaScript is everywhere, and taking such a widely used and powerful yet deeply flawed technology and making it better in such an intelligent and gentle way is TypeScript's grand achievement. Boris Cherny's book illuminates this achievement brilliantly and with humour. Recommended for all JS developers, regardless if you've started using TS or not.
sung kim
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I haven't had this much fun reading a language book in awhile.

One of the best books on TypeScript and also serves as a great reference.

Highly recommend it to anyone starting with TypeScript.
J. Pablo
Jul 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Like all books that I have read on _secondary_ languages, this one assumes a fair amount of familiarity with JavaScript. I don't think it's possible yet to be a TypeScript developer without knowing JavaScript first, so, this is not a major problem.

The book is extremely detailed. The section on types and advanced types felt very long and I reached the point of saying "Wow... this is so cool but I don't think I'll ever need that". Which is a good thing. I prefer computer books to leave me with que
Siddhartha Gupta
It was an excellent book to learn about the various aspects of Typescript
Oleksandr Bilyk
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Short book
Eric Silva
Oct 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Valentino Gagliardi
Aug 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Programming TypeScript is a complete guide to TypeScript, from the ground up to advanced patterns and usage. Highly suggested read for anyone wanting to refine their skills on the topic.
Joe Previte
Dec 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the few technical books that I've read and thoroughly enjoyed. I learned something new with each chapter. Definitely a book I recommend for anyone wanting to dive deep on TypeScript.
Dmitry Marcautsan
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Definitely great for beginners. But even a seasoned Typescript developer might realize he has few blind spots after reading it. If you were to read just one chapter from this book read one on Advanced Types.
Simonas D

• The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master
  • Learning React: Functional Web Development with React and Redux
  • Refactoring UI
  • JavaScript: The Good Parts
  • The Code. The Evaluation. The Protocols: Striving to Become an Eminently Qualified Human
  • Nothing to See Here
  • You Don't Know JS Yet: Get Started
  • Find Me (Call Me By Your Name, #2)
  • Tunnel of Bones (Cassidy Blake, #2)
  • Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones
  • Beyond The Phoenix Project: The Origins and Evolution Of DevOps (Official Transcript of The Audio Series)

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »