Start by marking “Fragile Remedy” as Want to Read:
Fragile Remedy

Fragile Remedy

Sixteen-year-old Nate is a GEM—Genetically Engineered Medi-tissue created by the scientists of Gathos City as a cure for the elite from the fatal lung rot ravaging the population. As a child, he was smuggled out of the laboratory where he was held captive and into the Withers—a quarantined, lawless region. Nate manages to survive by using his engineering skills to become a ...more
Expected publication: March 9th 2021 by Flux

To ask other readers questions about Fragile Remedy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fragile Remedy

Start your review of Fragile Remedy
Fabi
Fantastic, diverse, lovable set of characters whom we join in a dystopian world where the haves and have-nots are severely divided not only by wealth and privilege but by location as well.

Withers is the quarantine zone. Even though there is no longer danger from "lungrot", the people remain segregated in this run-down, poverty stricken town wholly dependent on the wealthy Gathos City for their basic necessities such as food and medicine.

As often happens in real life, people who find themselves a
Kyle
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Actual rating: 4.5 (rounded up)

A thousand thanks to Flux, North Star Editions, and NetGalley for providing me with this eARC in exchange for an honest review.

The writing here is pretty fantastic and immersive, especially for a debut novel. The world building came at a good, steady pace, and didn’t feel like info-dumping like most SF stories I’ve read. The plot as a whole didn’t take long to wrap my head around, and I eventually gathered the ins-and-outs.

The characters were a mixed bag (but in a
Kimba Tichenor
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
This YA science fiction is totally engrossing, with its best feature being its strong and nuanced development of the main characters. Through the stories of Nate, Reed, and Alden, the book tells a story that is as old as time, even as the book itself is set in a future world. It is a story of love, loss, wanting to belong somewhere, and learning to love with all the risks that come with loving someone, including their loss and possible betrayal.

Where the book is slightly less successful is in f
Chelsea
Apr 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
Rating: 3.5

I really liked the characters (especially Nate, Reed, Alden and Pixel), but I didn't like where the plot went at about 70% into it. I didn't like the villain. I think the character could have been a good person instead of a, sometime over the top, bad person.
Melissa
Mar 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
When the fatal lung rot breaks out in Gathos City, GEMs are created (Genetically Engineered Medi-tissue). Nate is one who was smuggled out of Gathos City and now lives in the slums of the Withers. He’s a tinker who hangs with a rag tag bunch. As GEMs get older though their health deteriorates and they need medicine called Remedy that is controlled by Gathos City. As chem addicts in the Withers start to cause issues Nate’s supply of Remedy dries up. Now he’s in a fight for his life.

I have never r
Xiran Zhao
alden cosplay

Personal Rating: I’d swim through the sludge channel to join Reed’s gang
Reasons to Read: The immersive prose, the queer found family, the plot that keeps you guessing, the hope among the bleakness

Is that a trope more heartwarming than queer found family? This book has such a grim and gritty setting (described so vividly that you’d never want to go there), but the story ends up surprisingly heartwarming. It takes place on the Withers, an island quarantined decades ago due to a since-eradicated “l
charlotte, (½ of readsrainbow)
“How do you know it wasn’t people from the wreck?” He looked at Reed.

“I wasn’t watching all that,” Reed rubbed the back of his head. “I was watching you.”

On my blog.

Rep: gay mc, Black gay li, trans side character

CWs: implied human experimentation, abuse, descriptions of gore, starvation, drug abuse

Galley provided by publisher

Nothing quite hits like a found family in a dystopian situation hits. There’s something about the whole potentially-mistrustful people thrown together by circumstanc
Anna Goose
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had the opportunity to beta read FRAGILE REMEDY, and I have to say I was blown away. I’m a quick reader, sure, but I devoured this book in less than 36 hours.

The attention to detail, the captivating plot line, the dynamic character development, the well-developed universe, and the natural pace all brought me into Nate’s world like I was right there with him. AND being right there with him, I felt “all the feels” (as we say these days): the warmth of Nate’s relationships with “the gang;” the c
Amie's Book Reviews
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley and was interested because of the synopsis. I expected to like this book, I did not expect to LOVE IT wholeheartedly, but I did.

From the very first chapter I was hooked. I started reading at noon, and could not put it down. I ignored all my chores for the day and settled in with Nate as he navigated life in the slum.

FRAGILE MEMORY is not just a book, it is an experience. This book is Young Adult Dystopian Fiction at it's Finest.

Go to my blog
RebecaReads
Sep 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020, arcs
HOLY SHIT!

what an amazing read! seeing at this is Maria's debut novel, I am very surprised at the level from which she is starting..

The story follows Nate and his merry band of scavengers trying to survive in the lowest and poorest side of the city known as The Withers. Can I just say how strong and brave I think they all are because they have VIP passes on the world's worse Struggle Bus. Not only that but Nate is a GEM, which means he also struggles with making sure he has enough Remedy in hi
Lu
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received this book from NetGalley in exchange of an honest review.

This book talks about the social difference between riches and poors (highlighted by physical separations), addiction, murder, death, torture, the importance and meaning of family, above all the one you can create, love and relationship.

Nate is a GEM (Genetically Engineered Medical Surrogate) and he was created by Gathos City, to keep the healthy alive and happy (his blood has healing and wondrous proprieties). To save and give
Aly
Mar 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
I loved this unique story!
This was so interesting and kept me intrigued from the beginning. The idea of genetically developing humans with DNA that can replicate and heal itself and then using them to heal others isn't as farfetched as it seems. Science can be amazing, but how far is too far and where is the line drawn? Nate was a sweet, intelligent kid and I felt so bad that he was on his own and lying to his friends because he couldn't truly trust anyone. His relationship with Pixel was my fav
Tanvi
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtqia-author
Thanks to Flux and Netgalley for this wonderful book.

Sixteen-year-old Nate, a GEM (or genetically modified human) is trying to make his way on the streets of the quarantined island the Withers, to feed his gang by bartering ‘tech’, used parts of old machines. But when an explosion rocks the Withers, things change rapidly, and not for the better. Not only does Nate have to navigate an increasingly chaotic island, he has to do so while chronic illness hangs over him like the Sword of Damocles.

I ca
;3
Oct 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5

90% of this book was nate being subjected to torture but man i love the found family trope so much
Bekah Rogers
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020, march-releases
When I first read the description for this book I knew it was something I wanted to read. It sounded like everything I could ever want in a book. Action, a gang of misfits, and a romance, yes please! After a couple of friends raved about it and encouraged me to read it, I did just that and, oh boy, I was not disappointed!
The story follows Nate, a GEM or Genetically Engineered Medi-tissue, who is taken away from the labs of Gathos City to the dangerous region outside the city gates, the Withers
Anne Pauline
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
** this ARC was provided by the publisher in exchange for a honest review

4.5/5

As I first read the description of this book, I was both intrigued and sure that I was going to like this book.

And I was right.

As a real fan of a good SF/dystopian book, I truly enjoyed ‘Fragile Remedy’ for this ‘The Island’ vibes. The set-up was clear and steady and I was rapidly immersed in the universe and the conflict between Gathos City and the Withers. Dystopian worlds have the tendency of looking a bit the sam
Raffi
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received an advanced copy of this dystopian, sci fi, Queer, YA novel and LOVED it. I wanted to hug almost every character and bake them cookies. The story was unique and compelling, but I am not about to offer spoilers! Buy and enjoy!
Carlee
Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Wow! I am so glad I waited a few days after finishing to write my review because it's allowed me to reflect on how much I enjoyed this book. Fragile Remedy is a book I had not heard of until it appeared before me on NetGalley, and so I went in with no expectations. To say that I was pleasantly surprised by this book would be an understatement. The more I think about it, the more its heart and characters and originality shine!

Fr
Corley Elizabeth
Jan 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs, ebooks, to-buy
3.5 stars.

I did not expect to enjoy Fragile Remedy quite so much, but here we are! I mentioned in a status update, but this book often gave me similar vibes to those of Victoria Lee's The Fever King: a world in chaos, marginalized groups, people with abilities that others want to abuse. And while Lee's novel held up better plotwise, I absolutely adored certain elements of this book.

Despite the actual story, this book felt much more character driven to me. Nate...I adored this scrawny, scraggly k
olivia ferraro
Jul 26, 2020 rated it liked it
2.5/5⭐️
Firstly, thank you so much to flux publishing and netgalley for this ARC.

I have a lot of mixed emotions about this book. The description of this book captivated me immediately, it had all the elements that make a book enjoyable for me, LGBTQ+ romance, a dystopian world and an overall fascinating premise. I was interested and invested in the story line and the characters in the first half of the book, and my only real complaint was the heavy handed foreshadowing which wasn't as prominent i
Charlotte
Arc provided by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I am a little torn about his book. For one thing I did love the premise that had so much potential. There were twists and turns that I hardly expected. Sadly, what felt lacking was the character depth. All of them merged together until I could barely remember who was the love interest and who was the main character. I really wish we got to see more about each character. I really would have loved to know more about the two girls that run
Kelly McWilliams
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put this haunting, beautiful book down. This is a work of incredible world building, chock full of characters with so much heart--Reed, Alden, Nate, and little Pixel leapt off the page, they're so vivid and real. Mora has written a gorgeous story about love and family--the family that we make for ourselves as well as the one we're born into. An amazingly tender work--a world you can lose yourself in.

Favorite quote: "Tinkering had always come easily to Nate, but he'd never done it like
Monica Haak
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5 stars (rounded up).

I really enjoyed this story! It reflects a world that conveys both cruelty of the highest level, but also offers the warm feeling of a family in the form of a "gang". It was raw, it was real, it was cute, it brought tears and it was so, SO well written!

Full review will be up on my blog soon and also on NetGalley! I would like to thank NetGalley, the publisher and the author all so much for this e-ARC!
Spira Virgo
Thanks to North Stars edition, Flux, and Netgalley for providing me with an e-arc in exchange for an honest review.

Science Fiction and LGBT representation is not a new thing. It's probably the most popular genre for new writers to tackle on because it's so easy to craft an intriguing new worlds with different societies and complex laws and whatnot. Fragile Remedy is no different but it grows up and above from that mold. It's really surprising that this is a debut, because Maria Ingrande Mora
Shan( Shans_Shelves) 💜

*Thank you to Netgalley and Flux publishing for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.*

When I first started Fragile Remedy I didn’t expect to be as captivated as I was. The beginning was slow and the world confusing. However, as the plot picked up I became hooked. The characters were phenomenal and I liked the exploration of friendship- even toxic ones- found family, and love.

Even without the plot-line or underlining story, one thing kept my attentio
Jodi
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
ARC provided for honest review. I was surprised by how much I liked this book. I’m not a huge fantasy/sci fi reader although there are books in this genre I like. This is a true delight of a book. The author tells a fantastic story with great character development and fantastic writing. It is a super quick read (read in a day while my family was skiing) and I enjoyed the diverse characters and interesting story. It is classified as YA but as an adult I enjoyed.
Alex
Sep 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 10-and-11
Thanks to the publisher for providing an eARC of Fragile Remedy in exchange for an honest review.

Fragile Remedy is such a unique story. Nate, a Genetically Engineered Medi-tissue (GEM) who was created to cure the wealthy of a deadly lung rot but was smuggled out of the laboratory and has been living in the shadows ever since. When Nate starts to deteriorate, he has to balance meetings with emotionally abusive drug dealer, hiding his secret from his rag-tag found family, and his feelings towards
Pei
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Oh. Wow. Where do I start? I had intended to slowly read this book, but ended up finishing it in two sittings (a break was necessary for sleep and work, unfortunately).

Fragile Remedy is beautiful, painful, and absolutely wonderful. The main character Nate is a GEM, a Genetically Engineered Medi-tissue, who relies on a steady dose of Remedy to keep him healthy. Unfortunately, his existence as a GEM must be kept secret and Remedy is hard to come by. When his illegal supply of medicine runs out an
Sabrina
Apr 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Lauren
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbt-recs, arcs
Whoa boy. Where do I even BEGIN?

First of all, I received a copy of this book via Netgalley (thank you!) and this review is very very honest. I swear, the tear tracks are still fresh on my face.

From the first moment I read the synopsis of this book I knew I’d love it. Everything about it screamed “oh my god Lauren this is it!” and when I read the first chapter I sank into it so quickly and easily and all I wanted was to know more about the backstory of the world. Speaking of which, the world bui
« previous 1 3 next »

• Surrender Your Sons
  • Bonds of Brass (The Bloodright Trilogy #1)
  • Of Silver and Shadow
  • Camp
  • A Dragonbird in the Fern
  • Better Than the Movies
  • The Electric Heir (Feverwake #2)
  • Ninth House (Alex Stern #1)
  • The Girl of Hawthorn and Glass (The Girl of Hawthorn and Glass, #1)
  • The Fell of Dark
  • Lab Partners
  • Iron Widow (Iron Widow, #1)
  • The Starless Sea
  • The Dark Tide
  • If We Were Us
  • She's Too Pretty to Burn
  • Cece Rios and the Desert of Souls
  • The Friend Scheme
Maria Ingrande Mora is a marketing executive and a brunch enthusiast. Her love languages are snacks, queer joy, and live music. A graduate of the University of Florida, Maria lives near a wetlands preserve with two dogs, two cats, two children, and two billion mosquitoes. She can often be found writing at her stand-up desk, surrounded by house plants. Unless the cats have already destroyed them.