Start by marking “Elements of Retrofit (Thomas Elkin, #1)” as Want to Read:
Elements of Retrofit (Thomas Elkin, #1)

Elements of Retrofit

(Thomas Elkin #1)

Generation versus generation, traditional versus contemporary, these men are about to learn a lesson in architecture and love. Can they prove that the old and new can be the perfect design?

A successful New York architect, Thomas Elkin almost has it all. Coming out as gay and ending his marriage before his 40th birthday, he needed to start living his life. Now, four years
Audible Audio, 4 pages
Published April 18th 2019 by Love Lane Books Ltd (first published October 3rd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Elements of Retrofit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elements of Retrofit

Start your review of Elements of Retrofit (Thomas Elkin, #1)
Shile
Re-read/listen Aug 2019

Audiobook - 4.5 stars

Story 4 stars

Just as good and sweet like the 1st time i read it.

******************************************
This was short and sweet . The chemistry between the Tom and cooper was hot.
Susan
May 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I love NR Walker books. They’re just so…easy…to read. I never get caught thinking “wait…what just happened here?” or “damn, I have a feeling something really bad is going to happen” or “ugh…that pissed me off”. I usually can start one of her books, read straight through (not wanting to put it down), and finish feeling satisfied, happy, and entertained.

Elements of Retrofit is, yet again, a winner. I typically don’t love the May/December romance trope, and the friend-of-my-grown-child thi
Exina
Elements of Retrofit is the first book of the Thomas Elkin series.

Thomas Elkin is an icon in the architecture world. He is successful, uptight and very lonely. He is “expensive, polished and predictable.” But life is not predictable at all, and now it brings a delicious, mesmerizing surprise. It’s Cooper.

Cooper Jones is a young, dedicated and very talented architect. And he is seriously and irresistibly hitting on Tom.

Jesus. I wasn’t imagining things. This kid was seriously flirting with me.
Gigi
Re-read June 2016. Just as spectacular as the first time and now I have all 3 books to read in a row, which I didn't before. Excited to spend more time with Tom and Cooper.

Another yummy start to a new series from N.R. Walker! Yay! I usually shy away from May/December romances, but these obnoxiously adorable boys talked me into an acceptable level of comfort in their age difference by the end of the book. I have confidence anyone with an age difference problem will be fine with it too.

If you like
Snjez
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks, re-reads
This was everything I've come to expect from this author, a well-written story with two very likeable characters and many sweet moments.

I really liked Tom and Cooper. Both have great personalities, they got along really well and had great chemistry. I liked that, despite the age difference, they were equals in many respects. In fact, it was Cooper who was more confident, straightforward and bossy. Loved him.

***********
Re-read 12/2020 via audiobook: Loved Nick J. Russo in this one.
Barbara➰
Reread July 2019

Man how I still love these two 😍

Reread May 2018

Yes, I just read this a few months ago and yes, I am rereading it now. Tom and Cooper are one of my favorite couples. I'm sure I'll be rereading it again and again.

Originally read February 2018

Let me first say, I don't know how this series hasn't come up on my newsfeed or radar before now. I've been enjoying Walker's books and came across this one. I freaking loved it!

I'm a huge fan of age gaps and this one pleases me. Th
Karla
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars!

I had forgotten how amazing it is to read a NRW book and dam I missed it. I've read quite a few of her books but I'll always have a special love for her spencer series and I can feel this one is going to my second favorite.

I love this book! Tom and Cooper were so dam adorable seeing how their relationship starts was the sweetest thing. With the 22 year gap between Tom and Copper it made their relationships dynamic even more interesting, especially when they would realize how differen
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

Okay, I'm going to stop trying with N.R. Walker because I just never seem to like any of her stuff. I just... don't.

I seem to be in the minority, but I found Elements of Retrofit to be tedious, unconvincing, and just plain boring. Not even the age gap and one of my usually reliable narrators could keep my interest.

*shrugs*

goodreads|instagram|twitter|blog
Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**

5/1/19 Update - This just came out on audiobook!! Guess that means it's time to revisit Tom and Cooper! I seriously LOVE these two...my commute home tonight just got a whole lot better!

*********************************************

***4.5 Stars***

I absolutely adored Tom and Cooper and this introduction to them!!

It was never supposed to be complicated. It was never supposed to be anything. I certainly was never supposed to be involved with a man I worked with, a man half my age. I was neve
Macky
Aug 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There's not an NR Walker book I haven't not loved and most have been 5 star reads mainly because I always connect with every one of her MC's. She just gets the chemistry and sexual tension right in her romances and that's the big plus for me. This one I was a little wary of because I'm not the greatest fan of older / younger man pairings but get it right and I'm a happy bunny... And * sigh* Nic does gets this right, so after finishing I'm hopping, smiling and chewing on a carrot!

Thomas is 44, C
Denise H.
Re-read Apr. 15, 2020

*** What a wonderful older/younger M/M romance !! ***
Thomas/Tom, successful, famous Architect, is graying a bit and 44.

He's 4 years divorced, from a woman, and exploring his new gay life. Experience he has gotten, yes, but a true male boyfriend relationship, no.
Cooper, his son's friend, is a new Intern at the firm,

as his dream is to be an Architect. Two suit and tie architect nerds who have so much in common, open up, free their lust, form a bond and make their lives hap
❧A Bookish Berkeley Girl❧

Easy reading and so very charming.... and

4 Sweet Stars

Beware Spoilers * The Best Parts of Book! ~

♥I love that dance...oOohhh man that dance....was HOT!
♥I have a weakness for two men in suits, I love it, it so dang YUM!
♥I loved both MCs
♥I loved both their persona's
♥I loved the son and his "I'm gonna gag" response, I LMAO on that one.
♥But most of all I love the sweetness of their relationship.

1st read 2013
Re-read 2019 still an excellent fun loving relaxing read
Jan
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, lgbtq

****4.5 Stars****

This is my very first book by this author.
I've decided to venture here because I've read a review a few days ago
(Gigi's) where I found out that one of the guys - Mr. Elkin was a 44 year old.
The other? 22 *whispering* same age as Mr. Elkin's son.
In fact, Cooper Jones - the 22 year old boy, was a friend of Mr. Elkin's son, from high school.
I am a sucker for age gaps.
I am going straight to #2
Loved the author's voice.
Ami
Usually, I will be reluctant to read a May/December romance. And in here, not only Thomas and Cooper has 22-years age gap, but there is another 'icky' factor for me, that Cooper is Thomas's son best-friend (and they are in same age). However, there are some factors that contributed to my enjoying this story and gave it my 4-stars rating

** Sometimes I simply needed a light, fluff, sweet, no-angst, no-drama read. This one fits the bill to the "t". Yes, Thomas worried about their age gap, and the f
Fabi
Wooooow. It was so good!!! I read it in one sitting.

I'm not going to review it because everything that can be said about it has already been said. I'm just going to add my vote to this wonderful, sexy romance.
Ingie
3.8 Stars - an interesting 100-page romance about attraction at work and a lover who is twice as old as the young beautiful cheeky guy he feels drawn to.

This was very tastefully told about the 44 year old architect Thomas Elkin's awakening attraction to a younger new man at the architect office. It is the talented, promising and so delightfully charming Cooper who also happens to be an same age friend of Thomas 22 year old son Ryan.
 photo image_zpse2b0bfa1.jpg

This questionable topic with age difference is as m
Janie
Reread May 14, 2018
I think I loved this one even more than the first time. Tom and Cooper are so perfect for each other. It’s not always easy because it’s complicated. But even though their relationship is still fairly new, they are so strong together. So glad I decided to give this series a reread. This book is a perfect example of why NR Walker is a favorite of mine.

Original Review
I love both Tom and Cooper. They are so good together. Their banter is hilarious. There’s sweet moments and hot s
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
A lovely read and hopefully the beginning to a great series. The age difference between the MCs worked for me. I liked that Tom's son wasn't a big brat about his dad getting together with one of his friends. Cooper was adorable, although I'm not sure I got enough of Cooper and Tom together to truly root for their relationship.

I wanted more on-page action. There was almost no sex on the page and very little angst; this was the appetizer, if you will. On to book 2.
Bev

Woohoo!! Tom and Coop are finally on audio. Thank goodness Nic decided to give this particular series to Nick J. Russo...he brilliantly captures Tom and Cooper, just as I'd imagined them to be. Puddle of goo big-time, and I have two more audios to look forward to. Totally worth it...I feel like I've been waiting forever for my Cooper Jones thing!!

***Book Review dated September 2013***

This book was my read of choice on a recent trip from London to Lisbon, and well worth the wait. As is us
Jeanne
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jeanne by: Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**
4.5 stars!

Loved this! So sweet. The Red Dirt Heart series by N.R. Walker is one of my favorites, and I thought this was just as good. What stands out to me about her writing is that she has a talent for developing memorable characters. She doesn't write a bunch of physical description filler, which is so common in romances. The sex scenes were hot, but they were also romantic and intimate. I actually even re-read a couple of them...*pervy grin*. I'm reading the next one now, so longer review to
Anke
Jul 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First read Sept. 29, 2013:

When will I finally learn it? START A SERIES WHEN AT LEAST A FEW, IF NOT ALL BOOKS ARE OUT, STUPID!!! Now I did it again! I started this series - how many will there be, btw? 3? - and I loved this book, yes, really. This is what I call a romantic love story and the May/Dec. angle was an added plus. It has a wonderful pacing of the story, from start to finish. Yes, a bit fairy tale like but it totally fits the story line and the characters. *sigh* This could have been qu
Mona
Mar 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, favorites
I LOVED this super cute and fun read!! The characters were awesome and I loved them together. I don't think the age difference mattered much...they're simply made for each other. I was delighted to be apart of their growing relationship, from work...to the bedroom. I will definitely be reading the others in this series.

"Yes, Yes, I want dinner. Yes, I want more. Once wasn't enough," I blurted out. "Once was never going to be enough."

description

"What am I to you?"
"Mesmerising. Confounding. Amusing.
Ky
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
I'm so happy!

Starting this book I was a bit reserved because I didn't like the last book I read by this author while everyone else loved it. I had heard a lot of great things about the The Thomas Elkin Series from a lot of my GR friends so I was a bit worried that this could be a repeat of Imago for me.

Instead, it was a repeat of Switched, which I loved!

This time I can honestly say that I agree with each and every one of my friends who said great things about this series. For some it was even th
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
4.5 Stars!

Part 1 of a 3 part series of novellas following Cooper and Thomas.

I really enjoyed this series. Book 1--Elements of Retrofit--introduces us to Cooper and Thomas.

Thomas is a 44 year old, recently divorced architect. As he approached his 40th birthday he finally decided to admit his sexuality.

His wife and 22 year old son weren't exactly thrilled. But over the last 4 years, Thomas and Ryan's relationship has improved.

Cooper happens to be Ryan's old friend from college. He's introduced
Eugenia
Audiobook October 2020: Nick J Russo kicked it up a 1/2 star for me with his performance 😍

Original ebook review May 2019:
Sweet!

This was a sweet and fluffy office romance with a very large age-gap. Forty-four year old Thomas Elkin is only 4 years out of the closet. In comes a new intern at his architectural firm, 22 year old Cooper, his son’s friend.

There’s no problem until the flirting begins, and the kisses, and the rest.

Little drama, lots of sex. I didn’t feel a lot of depth in the characte
BWT (Belen)

I have really enjoyed this story every time I’ve read, and now listened to, it. N.R. Walker takes a storyline that could be trite or well-worn and breathes new life into it. While there is instant attraction here, there’s no insta-love.

Single POV, age gap romance, low angst, steamy and sexy, with a happy ending. Books two and three are coming soon, but they both have happy endings too, just in case that's something (like me) you worry about (Don't mess with my happy endings!).

Nick J. Russo does
Mandy*reads obsessively*
I picked it up today at ARe on sale for $0.99

3.5*

N.R. Walker wrote one of my favorite ménage stories Three's Company.
I've enjoyed all of her stories, and this one was no exception.
Thomas is a 44 year old successful architect. He ended his marriage and came out a few years prior.
He loves his son, his work and his life, but he feels something is missing.
Enter stage left, Cooper.
Cooper is not only a very promising intern and half Tom's age, no he's even friends with his son.
Yeah..awkward.
Except i
Heller
May 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5

I was not expecting to like this as much as I did but boy did it ever work for me. When Walker hits it right, it is out of the park and I cannot get enough.

There's a 22 year age difference between Tom and Cooper and I went into this with a semi-cringe because it's not really a kink that I like to read about often. Colour me surprised that it didn't bother me at all. While the men are distinctly different in their outlooks, I found those differences really worked for me and I could see how th
Erth
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am now officially addicted to this author's books. I love her easy to read storylines, the way she describes everything which gives true visuals and the way she makes each character come to life!
I usually never read what I would call a short read but as I am enjoying working my way through her books I had to downloaded the Three books in this Series.
I absolutely loved this book, the banter between Thomas and Cooper kept me smiling. Thomas developing feelings for Cooper who is half his age and
Debra
This is another wonderful story by N.R. Walker. As always, there is romance, humor and hot sex.

Thomas Elkin is a 44 y/o, successful NYC architect. Four years after his divorce and coming out, Thomas has just gotten his relationship with his 22 y/o son back on track, he has dated and had his share of one night stands, but no relationships of any length. Cooper Jones is 22 y/o, summer intern at Thomas' architectural firm. He is smart, passionate and just happens to be a high school friend of Thom

• Arrows Through Archer
  • Beyond the Sea
  • The Shearing Gun
  • Valor on the Move (Valor, #1)
  • Enemy of My Enemy (Executive Office #2)
  • Enemies of the State (The Executive Office #1)
  • Rule Breaker (Mixed Messages, #1)
  • We Have Till Dawn
  • Honeymoon for One
  • Perfect Imperfections
  • Right as Raine (Aster Valley #1)
  • P.S. I Spook You (The Spectral Files, #1)
  • The Last Thing He Needs (The Last Thing He Needs, #1)
  • Deal Maker (Mixed Messages, #2)
  • Winter Waites (Aster Valley #0.5)
  • Laying Pipe
  • Nowhere Ranch
  • Flash Rip
Author also writes as A. Voyeur

N.R. Walker is an Australian author, who loves her genre of gay romance. She loves writing and spends far too much time doing it, but wouldn't have it any other way.

She is many things; a mother, a wife, a sister, a writer. She has pretty, pretty boys who she gives them life with words.

She likes it when they do dirty, dirty things...but likes it even more when they fa

Thomas Elkin (3 books)
  • Clarity of Lines (Thomas Elkin, #2)
  • Sense of Place (Thomas Elkin, #3)