Start by marking “A Helpful Alphabet of Friendly Objects” as Want to Read:
A Helpful Alphabet of Friendly Objects

A Helpful Alphabet of Friendly Objects

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  6 Ratings  ·  3 Reviews
This extraordinary alphabet book offers numerous rewards--poems that are by turns thoughtful and lively; crisp photographs that seem both familiar and new; and a fresh design to ensure repeated readings. Each poem and photograph describes ordinary things in language and images playfully accessible to preschoolers. Full color.
Hardcover, 1 page
Published July 10th 1995 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about A Helpful Alphabet of Friendly Objects, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Helpful Alphabet of Friendly Objects

Julie
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
John Updike wrote everything, so naturally a few children's books made it into the mix. We own one, A Child's Calendar, which I can not recommend enough, but this one was new to me.

This book was a collaboration between John Updike and his son, David, who is an English Lit teacher and a photographer, and I got the feeling that it was something Mr. Updike agreed to do with his adult child, in the last decade of his life, as his way of saying, “Son, it must have been a challenge, growing up with a
Angela
Jun 12, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
Nice photos illustrate this book, which has a poem for each letter. I like that he generally bases the poems on everyday objects (cats, dogs, shoes & socks), although "knot" did seem like an odd choice for k. Too long for our story time (but perhaps all alphabet books are). The poems themselves were hit & miss for me: c(at) & l(amp) were just so-so, but I loved y(ou) and z(ero).
Kara
This ABC book is a book that features a poem for objects that are used in everyday life. This book would be great to have in a classroom with younger age students to teach them about poetry, letters, and the uses of everyday things.
Oct 14, 2009
Caryn Hart
Jan 26, 2017
Jacob
Feb 03, 2017
John Hoyer Updike was an American writer. Updike's most famous work is his Rabbit series (Rabbit, Run; Rabbit Redux; Rabbit Is Rich; Rabbit At Rest; and Rabbit Remembered). Rabbit is Rich and Rabbit at Rest both won Pulitzer Prizes for Updike. Describing his subject as "the American small town, Protestant middle class," Updike is well known for his careful craftsmanship and prolific writing, havin ...more
More about John Updike