Start by marking “The Proximity Principle: The Proven Strategy That Will Lead to a Career You Love” as Want to Read:

Right now, 70% of Americans aren't passionate about their work and are desperately longing for meaning and purpose. They're sick of "average" and know there's something better out there, but they just don't know how to reach it.

One basic principle--The Proximity Principle--can change everything you thought you knew about pursuing a career you love.

In his latest book, The P
Published May 13th 2019 by Ramsey Press

To ask other readers questions about The Proximity Principle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Proximity Principle

Start your review of The Proximity Principle: The Proven Strategy That Will Lead to a Career You Love
Patricia Ann
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Wish his examples would relate to ordinary working people not to celebrities.
Audrey
Jun 21, 2019 rated it did not like it
the only reason i read this is cause my dad wouldn't stop bothering me about it, but honestly like??? just listen to the podcast, this book just repeats itself over and over and then drops celebrity names throughout, not much substance at all, it's a little funny how predictable it is. the last two chapters are worth reading i guess, but idk this seems like stuff everyone already knows. not revolutionary in the slightest. but i haven't read a book in months and this one was so easy to get throug ...more
Brian Chambers
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’ve come to notice a couple of things to expect of books written by Ramsey Solutions talent, first, each person has a distinctive voice and the voice shines through in their writing. Second, podcast, YouTube, and radio show each person espouses the same proclamations, statements, a dogma throughout.

Neither of these things is in itself a negative or a positive.

As to Ken Colman’s voice being heard throughout Proximity Principle, it’s definitely there. It isn’t as over the top as I expected thou
Annie
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is simple and straightforward, probably suited for people who like lists. After each main topic, the author enumerated the steps to accomplish the goal. The proximity principle is about surrounding yourself with the right people to help you advance in your dream career:
* Professors: Teach you the basics.
* Professionals: Model the way.
* Mentors: Provide wisdom and accountability.
* Peers: Push you towards excellence.
* Producers: Give you opportunities.

Limiting beliefs that hold us back fr
Laura McAninch
May 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
I have heard Ken Coleman guest visit on the Dave Ramsey Show; however, I do not listen to his Ken Coleman Show daily. I think he holds a lot of value, but in my opinion this book repeated itself too often and left me feeling like the book itself was rushed to put together and it felt lofty with the repetition and generalizations. I hate when books quote Hollywood celebrity rise to fame stories and background of their success. Most are not credible models that I would want to emulate.The freebies ...more
Jason Lefebvre
Dec 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone not happy in their current job.
Easily the most boring Star Wars book to date. Or so I thought. Turns out my girlfriend put the dust cover of a star wars book on this book to get me to do something with my life. "But didn't you see the title page?" is what you're asking. No. Who's got time to read 200 normal pages PLUS the title page? I suppose I'm supposed to read the blank pages at the end, too, now, am I? It's not like I work at the reading store and get paid time-and-a-half for extra reading...

Anyway, about 6 chapters in I
James Andersen
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
A short read that is about intentional networking with the intent of learning, working, and relationship building that leads to more of the same. It's generally about the who and the where, and how to get certain people and into certain places through your network.

Lots of good take aways, the author's work ethic is impressive but he's weak on the writing of work ethic, it's more or less "work your ass off and know your place", and although serving people is a great cornerstone in building succes
Bailey Maple
Feb 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Solid information, though I wish this book went more in-depth. The most useful aspect was the shift in perspective that yes, it is possible to shift careers, and yes, it will take a lot of work. But a lot of his advice is to put yourself out there and approach people.

While I acknowledge that this is good advice, as an introvert who deals with shyness and social anxiety, I would have liked more useful information on HOW to actually do that. While he repeats that connecting with people is about b
Annah
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For anyone pursuing a career/dream job that seems very abstract right now or you’re not sure of a good starting block/how to start making connections/etc. you HAVE to read this!!! It gives you concrete steps to get to that job, as long as you’re willing to put your fear and doubts aside. It’s both scary and liberating to realize that you 100% can do it. You just have to put the work in and believe in yourself.
Christopher S. Hope
This is the ultimate motivation book. If you get nothing from this book except to go out and do vetter you have gotten the key element. It covers areas that for years I thought I was doing right, only to find it may have been the reason for not landing the job.
Ron Barker
Aug 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Good easy read with a lot of valuable advice. Probably more for someone at the onset of a career but still some valuable insights for someone who spent 31 years at one company and looking for a new company and new career. I do disagree with the authors' section on surrounding yourself with peers with similar interests and ambitions. Diversity of thought and diversity of interests is a good thing leading to different points of view and a more inclusive environment.
Darby Smale
Aug 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Nothing about this book is groundbreaking. But reading it and the stories inside provide motivation to get a job you love. If you are already determined you can probably skip this book. If you have no idea how to get started this is a great read! It did encourage me to reach out to those around me and let them know I am looking for a job. You never know who they know!
Julia Marks
Aug 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book inspired me a lot! Wasn't exactly what I expected, but it was motivating and interesting. Pretty repetitive, but it got the point across well by the end.
John Hewitt II
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Picked this up in an audible sale and was pleasantly surprised by it. It has all of the usual marks of a self-help career advancement book, but manages to hit a few new points. More suited for someone looking for a new career, but I found the sections about advancing in your current field helpful as well.
Jeff Kowalk
Jun 01, 2019 rated it liked it
One Big Thought: Ken Coleman will walk you through his outline to do meaningful work in a field you love. The concepts are simple and straight to the point. Like most good advice, it's common sense, but not everyone is doing it. If you follow what Ken Coleman suggests, I have no doubt you will end up much closer to your dream than you were when you started. Recommended.
Marley Wareham
Hands down, favorite motivational book to clear the mind and re-evaluate your previously made dreams and desires. This book realistically puts into perspective the path to achieving your dreams. A book everyone should read at least once a year.
Jeff
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Could have gotten all the information in 10 pages rather than 200. Good principle, not enough here for a book.
Antonio
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing Book by an Amazing Show Host

I typically don't buy books and just borrow from the library or download free public domain ebooks, but this book was different. I bought the kindle version very close to the release day, and read as much of it as i could at a time. Being a Dave Ramsey Baby Stepper, I've been looking into finding a new job. I'll keep applying the proximity principle to my job searching and I know I'll yield better results. Thank you, Ken Coleman for writing this book.
Kelly
Mar 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: gifts

I’ve been listening to the author’s podcast for a bit at the recommendation of my mom (she also recommended a couple of other Ramsey Network personalities’ podcasts, specifically Dave Ramsey & Chris Hogan, and while I have a few major disagreements with the Ramsey financial philosophy—especially regarding credit cards—I find then helpful in terms of financial literacy information) and she got me the book for Christmas. The book was engaging, has a lot of stories, and contained informati
Jennifer Schultheis
Jan 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: just-for-me, library
The Proximity Principle by Ken Coleman is an easy read, but didn't do anything for me. Well-written, but hard to follow on some aspects.

There were some parts of the book that could appeal to everyone and then sometimes it felt like he was talking to a specific group of people and wouldn't do for regular people stuck in a small town.

When Coleman says "my dream belongs only to me and no one else," he's completely correct. No one hands things to people, unless to your royalty or your daddy is a bi
Brooke Bowen
Nov 07, 2019 rated it liked it
The Proximity Principle is a self-help, career guidebook by Ken Coleman. Coleman’s goal is to help those who know their dream career find a path to get there. That path being the Proximity Principle. If you establish good relationships with the right people, put yourself out there, and take baby steps, you can have your dream job. Readers learn the five people to look for and the four best places to grow and learn. The book is filled with countless examples of individuals Colemans has helped in ...more
Timothy Warner
Apr 10, 2020 rated it liked it
There's some really good advice here and the overall feel of the book is enlightening and encouraging. But it could have been 100 pages.

I went into it expecting it to start with advice or guidance on realizing what you're dream job is. However, it begins on the premise that you've already got that pinned down. So reading this book with little to no idea as to what you would love to see yourself doing one day is going to be of little use. Or at least the first two "Parts" could be skimmed. (Which
Stephanie R.
Apr 29, 2020 rated it it was ok
I think this book could have been a lot shorter. It was hard to keep paying attention because it was so repetitive, and I also had a lot of trouble relating his advice to my life and career goals. My career is not related to broadcasting at all and he can't help but relate all of his advice back to that. You would probably get more out of this book if you had heard of Ken Coleman before, or if you were interested in a career that had anything to do with performance.

Mainly it just says that you s
Cheryl L.E.
May 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a quick, easy read with some helpful advice. Although it wasn't quite what I expected, as in it didn't help in the way I thought it might, I did receive a little "get going" kick and some ideas on how to move forward with my "dream."

The beginning few chapters, I had trouble relating to the examples, it felt like it was written for someone looking for a traditional "dream job" or already had a bunch of networking connections or friends in high places. In fact, it seemed to rely heavily on
Josh
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a fine book. There wasn't anything earth-shattering in there, but I got a lot out of it. I'm all about doing things on purpose, so I liked that this book took a lot of time to define the different types of people who you can network with: the professors, the professionals, the mentors, the peers, and the producers. I also like the clarity of the central thesis: it's not what you know, it's who you know.

A lot of it was common sense, but again, I enjoyed the focus of the book.

As per usua
Sofia Acevedo
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Although I found the content of the book sometimes predictable, I think it is very valuable since it reminds you with real facts the importance of getting out of that place where you do not want be, in order to start doing the right things that will lead you to your ultimate goal. To find a job that you are passionate about.

I think this book is a good guide for people who do not know where or how to start doing something that helps them to find the path to a dreamed career. You will find very va
Randy Mahoney
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Much of this book was as refresher for me on the job search process, like putting a resume together and researching companies of interest. What was new and insightful for me were Coleman’s points about finding mentors and professionals to learn from, as well as knowing/accepting/maximizing your current role, which was more of a mindset change.

I’d agree with other reviews of this book — I would have liked more “average Joe” examples of career successes as opposed to only stories of famous celebr
Ryan Bernier
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was ok
The guy is a tool. One of the worst books I could have imagined reading. Traded it in on Audible thank goodness. The principle is sound, the writing is atrocious. We get it Ken, you knew Dave Ramsey and had the silver spoon in your hand. And as a Career Advisor, your advice to not have a resume or to use your template is great for radio, not great for real lives. He is also one of the worst radio hosts I could imagine if you listen to his show. He has his good and bad moments but sucks at listen ...more
Cole Williams
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pretty good book for someone that is clueless on this topic. I have long held the beliefs in this book with ideas passed to me from my father. Upon reading it was more or less a reaffirmation of my beliefs but there was still some good content in there that had the wheels in my mind spinning. Definitely worth the read for those that are unsure what they want to do in life or are looking how to strategically maneuver through work and finding new opportunities. Thanks for the insights, Ken!
Larisha
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Easy to read and lots of useful suggestions.

I worried that this book would do a lot of repeating of the baby steps (sometimes when you have folks under the same umbrella of a bigger company like Dave Ramsey, you hear the same message a bunch). This book stands on its own.

Ken has ideas to challenge you and get you towards the career goals you want: whether that is re-entry into the workplace or a career jump.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Everyday Millionaires: How Ordinary People Built Extraordinary Wealth--And How You Can Too
  • Debt-Free Degree: The Step-by-Step Guide to Getting Your Kid Through College Without Student Loans
  • Love Your Life, Not Theirs: 7 Money Habits for Living the Life You Want
  • EntreLeadership: 20 Years of Practical Business Wisdom from the Trenches
  • The Legacy Journey: A Radical View of Biblical Wealth and Generosity
  • Start: Punch Fear in the Face, Escape Average and Do Work that Matters
  • Rhinoceros Success: The Secret to Charging Full Speed Toward Every Opportunity
  • Smart Money Smart Kids: Raising the Next Generation to Win with Money
  • The Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness
  • The Sentient Machine: The Coming Age of Artificial Intelligence
  • The Legend of the Monk and the Merchant: Principles for Successful Living
  • The Age of Living Machines: How Biology Will Build the Next Technology Revolution
Ken Coleman is a career expert, author of The Proximity Principle and national radio host of The Ken Coleman Show. Pulling from his own personal struggles, missed opportunities and career successes, Coleman helps people discover what they were born to do and provides practical steps to make their dream job a reality. The Ken Coleman Show is a caller-driven career show that helps listeners who are ...more

News & Interviews

“career, but that change always depends on you.” 0 likes
“So, dream big, ask for help, embrace failure, take the shot, and continue to climb one step at a time.” 0 likes