Start by marking “Rule of Capture” as Want to Read:
Rule of Capture

Rule of Capture

(Dystopian Lawyer #1)

Better Call Saul meets Nineteen Eighty-Four in this first volume in an explosive legal thriller series set in the world of Tropic of Kansas—a finalist for the 2018 Campbell Award for best science fiction novel of the year.

Defeated in a devastating war with China, America is on the brink of a bloody civil war. Seizing power after a controversial election, the ruling regime
Published August 13th 2019 by Harper Voyager

Start your review of Rule of Capture
Clayton  Hackett
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was easily my favorite book I've read in the last year, if not two. I rarely enjoy legal dramas, but exploring the alternate timeline mirror world of our current slow motion societal collapse via the jaded lens of a burnt out criminal defense attorney was compelling, gripping, and frequently hilarious. If you've read TROPIC OF KANSAS, you have an idea of how the characters (and the world) will come out in the end, but that detracts nothing whatsoever from the thrill of the ride.
Lou
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review:

“The first class they taught them in law school was called Property. The first case they taught them in Property was about how you make the things in nature your property through kill or capture.”

There was a big war, it was lost, whilst fresh out of law school in a law firm with the country broken, that was then, and now, Donald Kimoe has great test unlike any other before, a task at hand being..
“Getting justice at secret trials for people the government wanted to disappear was not easy.”
Leo Vladimirsky
brown knows his law and knows how to make it both compelling and clear to the reader... he makes the law matter, in a way other legal thrillers do not... because the world that his lawyers have inherited matter. world building through procedure might seem like a grinding task, but brown makes the law sing... this is a spoonful of sugar with your precedent. enjoy!
Joe Crowe
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a sequel to Tropic of Kansas, a political thriller about a near-future where things are rotten.

This one ramps up the stakes high, with a fractured America under a lawless regime, which sounds like a headline I just read on HuffPost, but the author uses modern politics as a starting point, not as a wink and a nod.

Christopher Brown digs deep into the conspiracy-thriller genre here, starring a lawyer who defends enemies of the state. It's good stuff, with incisive comments on politics and
L Timmel
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5, actually. Beautifully written, intelligent, and something completely new.
Fred Kiesche
Aug 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If John Brunner and William Gibson, with a dash of Rudy Rucker, were to collaborate on a book, this frightening wake up call might be the result.
Medusa
Sep 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Believable, harrowing, and very much worth a read. If I were still practicing, and if I ever do again, I think I’d want my shingle to share the name of this series - “Dystopian Lawyer.” This book gets a lot of little details about people, the law, and power correct. Don’t miss it.
Peter
Jan 12, 2020 rated it did not like it
All I wanted was a fun, light read that brought something different to the table. A legal thriller sounded like it would fit that bill quite nicely. And it probably would have if it didn't take itself so damn seriously. However, if that was the only issue with this book, it wouldn't be getting the rating it's getting.

I think it's best to start off with what I enjoyed. The main storyline had its moments and whenever we got back to it, I was curious to see what would happen next.

As for the rest o
Michael Frasca
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"If we want to build a better future, we need to build it on law.”

“If we want to build a better future, we need to take it.”
- Christopher Brown, Rule of Capture

It is the near future in an America, that is almost, but not entirely like our America. Things are going south and personal freedoms are being eroded away--all in the name of security and the good of the country. Check out my twitter thread detailing the world building in Rule of Capture: https://twitter.com/M_A_Frasca/status...

The tensi
Adam Alliss
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dystopian Law - Trial by History

A well crafted legal thriller, taking place in future Texas, with an oppressed wiseass lawyer, a tough talking freelance journalist with a big secret, and a cast of Machiavellian autocrats out to protect the state.

Brown never wavers in his commitment to the story. As the plot descends into a labyrinthine, Chinatown-seque territory, we are shown a great deal of detail on the legal process. It's a fascinating documentarian approach that caters to a reader who likes
Heather Warner
This is the first in a new series (Dystopian Lawyer) set in the same world as Tropic of Kansas (which you do not have to read first-this is fine as a standalone). Donny Kimoe is a lawyer defending political dissidents in secret courts where the rules are rigged in favor of the government-these defendants basically have no chance at all. If found guilty, they can be sent to black interrogation camps, imprisoned for indeterminate time periods or even executed. The American government spies on its ...more
MH
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020hugos
A horrifying look into where the US is going if it keeps doing what its doing. Takes the horrors of the Bush, Obama and Trump administrations - the endless wars, the torture, the surveillance, the extrajudicial murders, the naked corruption and lawlessness - dials it up to 11, and spins it into a plausible future horror story framed as a legal drama. Well worth reading.
Tobias
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved Brown's previous Tropic of Kansas and I loved this novel. A deeply researched dystopian legal thriller that thinks hard about how the law could function an increasingly authoritarian American state in an increasingly insecure world. The most realistic-feeling dystopian novel I've ever read.
Rebecca Schwarz
A legal thriller set in a near-future dystopia. This is an engaging read that leaves you with lots of real-world philosophy to consider.
Kerry Pickens
Aug 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2020
This is a dystopian book that takes place in Texas. Its well written but just not my genre, and I was not in a mood where I could focus on it.
Michael
Nov 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Listened to this on a road trip through Trump country as the final results of the 2020 election still had not been finalized. Finished it on the way back the day after the nation erupted in public displays of joy that Trump had been defeated. As I write this one week later, Trump is still refusing to concede.

This novel is a creative and intelligent look at what might happen at that point and what happens when people of conscience resist.
John
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was really hard to put down. Think of it like better call saul meets william gibson.

Well plotted, occasionally drifts into clich or jargon. A weird book I'm glad exists.
Rhoddi
May 17, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A better title for this book might be, Rule of Cliches. Unfortunately, this book is a mess, a sometimes entertaining mess, but still an mess all the same that I didn't feel like finishing.
VL
This was terrifying because we don't seem too far from this situation.
Dave Taylor
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very well written, but possibly too legally oriented dystopic future thriller. I was unable to fully get the nuances of documents filed with the courts, precedents, and the subtleties of what was going on in the [arguably kangaroo] court storyline. The non-court elements were very good, however, though I'll also say that the ending was perhaps a bit unsatisfying, though it's clear the author is setting up for a subsequent book in this world.

Note: I read an unedited early reviewer copy sent by th
Leo Vladimirsky
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jessica Higgins
Interesting concept of a dystopian America given the current political climate.

America is on the brink of a full civil war. Climate change has caused drought conditions in the northern part of the countries and forced most of the population south. A war with China has devasted the country and brought fallout zones off the coast of Texas as well as several other areas. The current president trying to hold onto power and once the flood zones of coastal Texas became catastrophic, he declared martia
Jessica
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blog-tours
Thanks to the publisher and TLC Book Tours for the free copy in exchange for my honest review

Old habits die hard – another book I’m picking up in the middle of a series. RULE OF CAPTURE is book two in a series (book one being TROPIC OF KANSAS). However, considering this is set in that same world, I didn’t exactly feel lost. Still a dystopian/thriller/courtroom drama and I found myself immediately drawn in.

The characters were really interesting and I enjoyed this unique look into a future that ou
Kris Ruggiero
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, 2019-booklist
This book takes place in a dystopian, post-war America. The US lost a war with China and now the country is descending into a civil war with a president who grabbed power and fancies himself a dictator who continually abandons the rule of law.

Does this sound at all familiar? Rule of Capture is a fictional, legal thriller that takes place in an alternate reality version of America that doesn’t sound too far from the truth. As I read this book, I felt a chill crawl up my spine because some of the
Sterling Okura
May 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid legal thriller set in the future.

Discovered the author via an Apple TV episode showcasing his remarkable home in Austin.

Mr. Brown was described as sci-fi author, and as a sci-fi junkie I had to check out some of his work.

This story doesn’t feel very sci-fi or even like a techno-thriller, as technology is more in the background. However the ecological aspects reminded me of some of my favorites like Water Knife or New York 2140.

The protagonist finds himself in over his head on a new case
Peter Tillman
Author's notes, at Scalzi's: https://whatever.scalzi.com/2019/08/1...
"I . . . stopped for a coffee by the side of the highway. As I walked back to the car, I noticed the giant billboard looming over me with the image of a larger than life dude sporting leather jacket and tie, wild long hair, a cunning smile, and a very Austin tagline: THE LAWYER WHO ROCKS.

And I immediately thought, what kind of cases would that kind of lawyer handle in my dystopian USA? Being one myself, I know lawyers can make
Alexis
Jun 25, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent read for any law junkies! I read this earlier this week and totally forgot to review it! First and foremost I absolutely love that this book is set in a dystopian future America. I feel like I read this book at a very current and poignant time in history. We follow the legal careers of some of the men and women thay now truly run the country. Power has been distributed totally differently now that America has fallen. Privacy no longer exists and anyone searching for the truth is con ...more
L.A.B.
Mar 27, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Donny is an attorney in Texas during an unspecified future time when the American judicial system is failing. He is perpetually late to appointments, disheveled, and outspoken. His clients are considered enemies of the nation and the evidence Donny needs to marshal a defense is almost always classified top secret and withheld from him. The legal arguments he makes and the investigations he undertakes are the suspense and thrill of this dystopian novel. Author Christopher Brown is himself a Texas ...more
Soo
Feb 27, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Notes:

Interesting ideas but it failed to pass suspension of belief. A drug addict lawyer that wants to protect framed victims in a crooked system. Cool. Except the only cause and effect seem to happen within the desires of the corrupt and there's not much of C&E for various choices made by Donny. You can't even say that Donny is all that noble when he makes choices to feed his drug addiction over anything else.

The story was not written for the average person to read and understand. There's no d

• The Future of Another Timeline
  • Attack Surface
  • Anyone
  • Dead Lies Dreaming (Dead Lies Dreaming #1)
  • Providence
  • Hench
  • FKA USA
  • Failed State: A Novel (Dystopian Lawyer Book 2)
  • Finna (Finna #1)
  • 88 Names
  • A Song for a New Day
  • Zoey Punches the Future in the Dick (Zoey Ashe, #2)
  • War of the Maps
  • Gamechanger (The Bounceback, #1)
  • Agency (Jackpot #2)
  • Ghost Hardware: Three Infinite Detail Stories
  • The Body: A Guide for Occupants
  • A Lush and Seething Hell: Two Tales of Cosmic Horror

Dystopian Lawyer (2 books)
  • Failed State: A Novel