Start by marking “Rule of Capture: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Rule of Capture: A Novel

Rule of Capture: A Novel

Better Call Saul meets Nineteen Eighty-Four in this first volume in an explosive legal thriller series set in the world of Tropic of Kansas—a finalist for the 2018 Campbell Award for best science fiction novel of the year.

Defeated in a devastating war with China, America is on the brink of a bloody civil war. Seizing power after a controversial election, the ruling regime has begun c
Published August 13th 2019 by Harper Voyager

To ask other readers questions about Rule of Capture, please sign up.
Leo Vladimirsky nope. the story is standalone, yet it lives in the same world.

Start your review of Rule of Capture: A Novel
Clayton  Hackett
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was easily my favorite book I've read in the last year, if not two. I rarely enjoy legal dramas, but exploring the alternate timeline mirror world of our current slow motion societal collapse via the jaded lens of a burnt out criminal defense attorney was compelling, gripping, and frequently hilarious. If you've read TROPIC OF KANSAS, you have an idea of how the characters (and the world) will come out in the end, but that detracts nothing whatsoever from the thrill of the ride.
Lou
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review:

“The first class they taught them in law school was called Property. The first case they taught them in Property was about how you make the things in nature your property through kill or capture.”

There was a big war, it was lost, whilst fresh out of law school in a law firm with the country broken, that was then, and now, Donald Kimoe has great test unlike any other before, a task at hand being..
“Getting justice at secret trials for people the government want
Leo Vladimirsky
brown knows his law and knows how to make it both compelling and clear to the reader... he makes the law matter, in a way other legal thrillers do not... because the world that his lawyers have inherited matter. world building through procedure might seem like a grinding task, but brown makes the law sing... this is a spoonful of sugar with your precedent. enjoy!
L Timmel
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5, actually. Beautifully written, intelligent, and something completely new.
Joe Crowe
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a sequel to Tropic of Kansas, a political thriller about a near-future where things are rotten.

This one ramps up the stakes high, with a fractured America under a lawless regime, which sounds like a headline I just read on HuffPost, but the author uses modern politics as a starting point, not as a wink and a nod.

Christopher Brown digs deep into the conspiracy-thriller genre here, starring a lawyer who defends enemies of the state. It's good stuff, with incisive comments on politics and
Michael Frasca
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"If we want to build a better future, we need to build it on law.”

“If we want to build a better future, we need to take it.”
- Christopher Brown, Rule of Capture

It is the near future in an America, that is almost, but not entirely like our America. Things are going south and personal freedoms are being eroded away--all in the name of security and the good of the country. Check out my twitter thread detailing the world building in Rule of Capture: https://twitter.com/M_A_Frasca/status...

The tensio
Adam Alliss
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dystopian Law - Trial by History

A well crafted legal thriller, taking place in future Texas, with an oppressed wiseass lawyer, a tough talking freelance journalist with a big secret, and a cast of Machiavellian autocrats out to protect the state.

Brown never wavers in his commitment to the story. As the plot descends into a labyrinthine, Chinatown-seque territory, we are shown a great deal of detail on the legal process. It's a fascinating documentarian approach that caters to a rea
Rebecca Schwarz
A legal thriller set in a near-future dystopia. This is an engaging read that leaves you with lots of real-world philosophy to consider.
John
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was really hard to put down. Think of it like better call saul meets william gibson.

Well plotted, occasionally drifts into clich or jargon. A weird book I'm glad exists.
VL
This was terrifying because we don't seem too far from this situation.
Dave Taylor
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very well written, but possibly too legally oriented dystopic future thriller. I was unable to fully get the nuances of documents filed with the courts, precedents, and the subtleties of what was going on in the [arguably kangaroo] court storyline. The non-court elements were very good, however, though I'll also say that the ending was perhaps a bit unsatisfying, though it's clear the author is setting up for a subsequent book in this world.

Note: I read an unedited early reviewer cop
Jessica Higgins
Interesting concept of a dystopian America given the current political climate.

America is on the brink of a full civil war. Climate change has caused drought conditions in the northern part of the countries and forced most of the population south. A war with China has devasted the country and brought fallout zones off the coast of Texas as well as several other areas. The current president trying to hold onto power and once the flood zones of coastal Texas became catastrophic, he dec
Jessica
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blog-tours
Thanks to the publisher and TLC Book Tours for the free copy in exchange for my honest review

Old habits die hard – another book I’m picking up in the middle of a series. RULE OF CAPTURE is book two in a series (book one being TROPIC OF KANSAS). However, considering this is set in that same world, I didn’t exactly feel lost. Still a dystopian/thriller/courtroom drama and I found myself immediately drawn in.

The characters were really interesting and I enjoyed this unique lo
Kris Ruggiero
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-booklist, arcs
This book takes place in a dystopian, post-war America. The US lost a war with China and now the country is descending into a civil war with a president who grabbed power and fancies himself a dictator who continually abandons the rule of law.

Does this sound at all familiar? Rule of Capture is a fictional, legal thriller that takes place in an alternate reality version of America that doesn’t sound too far from the truth. As I read this book, I felt a chill crawl up my spine because
Hallie Szott
In Rule of Capture, Christopher Brown blends science fiction with legal thriller for an immensely exciting read. Lawyer Donny Kimoe operates in a society full of chaos, thanks to war and climate change. The case for his new client, filmmaker Xelina Rocafuerte, leads him into a dangerous search for truth amidst conspiracy, secrets, and political control.

The dystopia Rule of Capture presents is chilling, and its story throws plenty of twists, making me unsure of what to expect next. It
Peter Tillman
Author's notes, at Scalzi's: https://whatever.scalzi.com/2019/08/1...
"I . . . stopped for a coffee by the side of the highway. As I walked back to the car, I noticed the giant billboard looming over me with the image of a larger than life dude sporting leather jacket and tie, wild long hair, a cunning smile, and a very Austin tagline: THE LAWYER WHO ROCKS.

And I immediately thought, what kind of cases would that kind of lawyer handle in my dystopian USA? Being one myself, I know lawyers can make a living helping navigate
Bob Cutler
Generally well-written, but the plot gaps threw me. Some of the made-up legal stuff should have been explained better because filling it with assumptions that later proved incorrect detracted from my enjoyment. Several parts of the middle moved too slowly, yet the end jumped ahead over key events that were the essence of the novel's conclusion.

This could have been a 5-star novel if more attention had been paid to evening out the timeline. Instead, the focus seemed to be on keeping the chapters
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Listened to audiobook - actual rating 3.75/5 ⭐ This book surprised me with how fast I was invested in the story. I didn’t know much about the book before diving into it. Apparently there is a book before this one that gives background info but I didn’t feel I missed out on anything by not reading it first. Toward the end things became a bit muddled trying to tie up the loose ends. Otherwise it was a decent novel. ...more
Guanxi
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
great book, entertaining. I wanted more story around the exclusion zone & the opposition characters, but I suppose there is room for that in book #2. Many times I'll read books & pass on pre-quels or sequels, this time I'm looking forward to the next installment.
George Rilling
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Hard to digest

Lots of sly references I never caught. A future that does not seem at all likely. Evil folks everywhere. And the protagonist doesn't have much to cheer about himself, either. Just downright depressing.
Rodney
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantastic follow-up to Tropic of Kansas. One way to describe it as a nightmare extrapolation of hypos from first-year con law and property classes. Also, this book is set in Houston, Texas (my hometown), and the author really captures the weird, fascinating, and counterintuitive nature of this giant sprawling metropolis.
Jay Gabriel

• The Warehouse
  • FKA USA
  • The Cruel Stars
  • Wanderers
  • The Deserter (Scott Brodie & Maggie Taylor)
  • The Grand Dark
  • City of Windows (Lucas Page, #1)
  • Trinity Sight
  • Summer Frost
  • The Twisted Ones
  • Cry Pilot
  • Empire of Lies
  • The MVP Machine: How Baseball's New Nonconformists Are Using Data to Build Better Players
  • The Gurkha and the Lord of Tuesday
  • Velocity Weapon (The Protectorate #1)