Start by marking “How to Write a Page-Turner: Craft a Story Your Readers Can't Put Down” as Want to Read:
How to Write a Page-Turner: Craft a Story Your Readers Can't Put Down

How to Write a Page-Turner: Craft a Story Your Readers Can't Put Down

Infuse Your Fiction with the Powerful Tug of Tension!

Tension is the heart of conflict, the backbone of uncertainty, the hallmark of danger. It keeps readers guessing and characters on their toes. When you've got tension in place, stories leave readers breathless and wanting more. When it's missing, scenes feel inconsequential, plots drag, and characters meander.

Learning
Published March 19th 2019 by Writer's Digest Books

To ask other readers questions about How to Write a Page-Turner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Write a Page-Turner

Start your review of How to Write a Page-Turner: Craft a Story Your Readers Can't Put Down
Shelly
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
How to Write a Page Turner is an excellent guide for authors and students alike. Jordan Rosenfeld cleverly covers the elements and best practices of crafting a story readers will become engrossed in. Tension is the hallmark of the proverbial page-turner and this book adroitly covers weaving into one’s scenes the elements of tension with conflict, danger, uncertainty and withholding. The author presents best practices for creating tension in characters using character goals, character flaws and ...more
Marina
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Why do some books keep you awake till the small hours while others gather dust on the bedside table? Rosenfeld shows how writers can keep their readers hooked. (Tension is the key, I discovered.)
I actually found this book quite gripping itself. There were lots of examples from novels (many of which have been very recently published), giving the impression that Rosenfeld has current market knowledge.
I particularly liked that there was a ‘roadmap’ for a ‘page turner’ – starting with the set-up,
Lucinda Elliot
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have just finished reading Jordan Rosenfeld’s ‘How to Write a Page Turner’. I thought the advice in it was invaluable.

Not only that, but it is detailed; too many ‘how to’ books for writers are not sufficiently specific. You might be told to ‘infuse the pages with tension’ and to ‘keep raising the conflict’ besides, ‘creating memorable characters’ , but the writers might just as well say ‘be talented’ ‘write with flair’ or some such thing.

This advice is also concise. There is no waffling and
Karen
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a good book to read not only for aspiring authors, but any student or person who just wants to write better. It has a lot of good information and uses text from published books as examples. Some of the excerpts are not clean, and I wish she would have chosen other material, but her point get across nonetheless. If you have read some of the author’s previous works, you might find some of this content redundant. If you haven’t, than I think you will enjoy this book.
This would be a book
R
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
How to Write a Page Turner is a great resource for not only writers, but readers as well. I liked how the author explained how to accomplish the task of writing a page turner by using examples from other selected writers. There was also a “now, you” exercise at the completion of each chapter to continue the learning process, if you so desire.
As a reader, I also took note of the many “turn paging” book excerpts the author used to highlight her explanations of tension. These excerpts grabbed my
Janet

Infuse Your Fiction with the Powerful Tug of Tension!

Tension is the heart of the conflict, the backbone of uncertainty, the hallmark of danger. It keeps readers guessing and characters on their toes. When you've got tension in place, stories leave readers breathless and wanting more. When
StorySchmoozingBkReviews
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jordan Rosenfeld's How to Write A Page Turner is one of those books on writing that you need by your side at all times when writing and editing your book! What a great resource for beginning and intermediate writers! There is something to learn and take away from every section. Rosenfeld mainly focuses on developing tension (also called suspense) throughout the story, not just in the scenes. She breaks it down into four parts: Essential Tension Elements, Tension with Characters, Plot Tension, ...more
Eustacia Tan
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lots of concrete examples and actionable tips. Will write a longer review when (if) I try some of the techniques here, but these are a few books that was cited as a good example. I haven't read them, but if you have and you don't consider them good writing (in terms of getting you to turn the page), then this book probably isn't for you:

- A court of thorns and roses by Sarah J. Maas
- The Book of Essie by Meghan MacLean Weir
- Desert Places by Blake Crouch
- The Last Illusion by Porochista
Calvin
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books written on perhaps the most important element of writing: tension.
CuriousCompass
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfic
4.5 Stars

Super fast, to the point, and enjoyable. More of a guide to tension as opposed to a general writing advice book, it focuses on how to ramp up tension in different ways and maintain it, only touching briefly on other aspects. I genuinely love the approach of writing specialized advice books for different areas of writing instead of lumping them all into one title.

I would say this is more of a reference book you can refer to again and again while writing or revising your books, as more of
Julie
Mar 29, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: non-fiction
I was very happy to have gotten the opportunity from NetGalley to read this book, it is just the kind of book I have been looking for!
What a great book for someone like me, who's looking for as many advice and as much help I can get on how to write a book!
It was full of great tips, and good inspiration, very well written and easy to understand.
The London Institute Book Club
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I received an arc of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

An excellent read! I was worried this book wouldn’t stand out in the sea of writing books I’ve recently read, but I was pleasantly suprised! The book breaks down the many doffernt ways you can create tension. I especially appreciate the section on creating tension in the dialogue.

Great for both beginners and experienced writers.
Belinda Witzenhausen
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
How To Write A Page-Turner
Craft a Story Your Readers Can't Put Down
byJordan Rosenfeld

Release date: March 19th, 2019

I received a complimentary ARC copy of How To Write A Page-Turner,
Craft a Story Your Readers Can't Put Down by Jordan RosenfeldfromNet GalleyandF+W Media/Writer's Digest Books.

If you are a novice or seasoned writer who wants to publish dynamic and interesting novels... How To Write A Page-Turner is the perfect book for you.
There are novels that keep you riveted, you know the ones,
Mar 10, 2019 rated it liked it
An ARC ebook copy of this book was provided by F+W Media via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

A useful, well arranged and full of examples guide to tension and how to breathe it into the plot, scenes, characters and style.

I recommend it for anyone who already has some experience in writing novels/novellas, for it is easier to identify techniques you are already using and compare them to the new ones that you may discover in this book.
I think this book works perfectly for people who
Annie
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Originally published on my blog: Nonstop Reader.

How To Write A Page-Turner is a style manual and tutorial guide for story crafting by Jordan Rosenfeld. Released 19th March 2019 by F + W Media, it's 240 pages and available in paperback and ebook formats.

Apart from workshops and classroom instruction, there's a dearth of good technical information for the aspiring author. This book looks at different types of tension, how to create and maintain dramatic tension (and how much is enough and not
Heather K Veitch
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
How to Write a Page-Turner is an invaluable resource when it comes to the craft of writing fiction, whether short stories or a longer work (novella, novel, etc). It breaks down the principle elements of tension within both plot and characterisation, and offers tools and techniques to tighten your story and build/increase tension, where required.

Drawing on a number of examples from within fiction, Rosenfeld illustrates how to use tension, danger, inciting incidents, and conflict to elicit an
Marlene
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
How To Write A Page Turner isn't your run-of-the-mill fiction how-to book. No way. Not this one. I found the author's instruction anything from dull and dry. Jordan Rosenfeld has a style similar to that of Donald Maas when it comes to explaining details in layman's terms. He writes in such a way--you want to keep reading. (Amazing how that works for a book designed to train writers on the very same topic!)

I especially like how Mr. Rosenfeld uses tension and conflict examples from genre books
Diane Hernandez
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
If you want your readers to lose sleep because they can’t stop reading your book, How to Write a Page-turner will explain step-by-step how to it.

Beginning with the four types of tension (danger, conflict, uncertainty, and withholding), the book explains exactly how to add each one to the characters, plot, and wording of your book. With copious examples from books of various genres, it is easy to see how other authors have used the described techniques to good effect.

I have never read a Writer’s
Carolyn Amate
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I would like to thank Writers Digest Book and NetGalley for the advanced copy of the fantastic book so I may write an honest review.
I found this book a very enjoyable read ,especially for a How to book. He kept it basic and easy to follow. The best part was he used examples of what he was trying to describe from other books to show how techniques were used by other authors. I found this valuable to see what he was trying to explain by example. Also I found very helpful was he summarized main
Russell Ricard
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
With How To Write A Page Turner, Jordan Rosenfeld once again delivers a thoroughly engaging and resourceful guide to writing craft. Impressive are the vast examples from literature she cites that vividly illustrate ways for increasing narrative tension. The end of chapter prompts serve as concrete strategies for creating page-turning prose. Rosenfeld’s tone gives one the sense of working with an editor who helps writers engage in reflection about their choices on the page. In that sense, Page ...more
Cari
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was very excited to receive a review copy of this book, as it's the first one I've ever gotten that covers the craft of writing. I purchase the 800s for my library, and I'm also a writer. I really enjoyed it - I got lots of great tips for my books, and I'm looking forward to recommending it to my patrons and fellow writers. Rosenfeld helps you find places to insert tension in every aspect of the novel - plot, character, dialogue, and more.
Michelle Castaneda
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
How to Write a Page-Turner by Jordan Rosenfield is a practical book for novelists. What is your story missing? What can you add? What will make a reader not be able to put it down? This novel answers all these questions and more. I particularly liked all the examples in this book. It made the suggestions easier to grasp and easier to apply to your own writing. I loved it. I received a digital copy of this book from the publisher with no obligations. These opinions are entirely my own.
Gill
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book, full of good advice for writers. The premise that tension is key to a page turner was explored in depth, with many examples from fiction. The style of writing was informative and friendly, you really felt that you were learning something from this book. A useful addition to any writer's library.

Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for an advance ARC copy of this book.
G
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing-craft
Jordan’s books on writing are so well done & provide easy to follow & apply to my works in progress. This is the 3d or 4th of her books I’ve bought because they have helped me improve my writing both in subtle as well as not so subtle ways. I think she may have a few others I haven’t purchased yet-when I’m ready for my next lesson.
Chris DiLeo
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book has much to recommend. It breaks down the importance of tension from overarching plot to characters to scenes to sentences. Numerous examples are provided from published texts. There's some excellent advice, and should be taken in small sips to prevent drowning . . . but it's all solid, and rooted in strong, evocative writing.
Ron
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very useful to keep stories on track and focused on tension, especially in genre fiction. Good examples provided in each chapter, but for me the best part is the short bullet point "Tension Takeaway" summaries at the end of each chapter, plus some suggested writing exercises.
Eleanor Jones
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was really helpful. Sometimes the given examples took me away from the message and other times they didn't. The book gives a-lot of general advice so if you don't want to get a whole load of Writing craft books you would probably enjoy this one.
Megan
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, non-fiction
Review to come.
Erinne
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great reference for all those that want to write, dream of writing, or are looking for inspiration. Recommend to all.
Chuckie Palmer-Patel
Oct 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: writing-tips
To be honest I flipped through and just took note of the subheadings. You very rarely need to read the exposition under the heading. .... (kinda ironic given the title of the book)

• Carl and the Meaning of Life
  • Crunch, the Shy Dinosaur
  • Story Engineering: Character Development, Story Concept, Scene Construction
  • Pixar Storytelling: Rules for Effective Storytelling Based on Pixar's Greatest Films
  • How to Give Your Cat a Bath: In Five Easy Steps
  • How Not to Write a Novel: 200 Classic Mistakes and How to Avoid Them—A Misstep-by-Misstep Guide
  • Save the Cat! Writes a Novel
  • Hashtag Authentic: Be your best creative self via your Instagram online presence
  • Keep Going: 10 Ways to Stay Creative in Good Times and Bad