Start by marking “Do You Mind If I Cancel? (Things That Still Annoy Me)” as Want to Read:
Do You Mind If I Cancel? (Things That Still Annoy Me)

Do You Mind If I Cancel? (Things That Still Annoy Me)

Gary Janetti, the writer and producer for some of the most popular television comedies of all time, and creator of one of the most wickedly funny Instagram accounts there is, now turns his skills to the page in a hilarious, and poignant book chronicling the pains and indignities of everyday life.

Gary spends his twenties in New York, dreaming of starring on soap operas
Published October 22nd 2019 by Flatiron Books

To ask other readers questions about Do You Mind If I Cancel?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Do You Mind If I Cancel?

Start your review of Do You Mind If I Cancel? (Things That Still Annoy Me)
Suzanne
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So funny! This book is my type of humor for sure. I was highly entertained and loved every minute of it. Time flew right back while I was reading. I hope he continues writing more books like these!
Tyler Goodson
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I knew this would be funny, but it's also personal and honest and moving. Janetti manages to be vicious AND likable, even while chastising you for not knowing what Norma Rae is (I knew that one!). These essays are equal parts insight and acid, and you will love every second of them.
Brei
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I laughed and even cried in parts at Gary Janetti's new book Do You Mind If I Cancel. Some of you may know Gary because he puts up hysterical memes on Instagram of Prince George. Some of you may know Gary because he is married to the amazing stylist Brad from the Rachel Zoe show and soon after his own TV show. Last but not least you may know Gary because he is an amazing television writer. No matter how you know Gary you should definitely pick up Do You Mind If I Cancel. You will laugh and you ...more
Lindsey
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
I want to start this review by stating, I am obsessed with Gary Janetti’s Instagram. The Prince George memes are absolutely incredible and I love Family Guy, always have. But, I didn’t love this book. It felt disjointed all the way through. He jumped around telling stories about growing up but I feel like I learned more about his favorite soap opera plot lines than I did about him.

I did enjoy the last two pages of the book, but would have loved reading more stories about him getting into the
Janine
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a deceptively short and simple collection of essays. I needed to read it because Gary Janetti's instagram is just...amazing. It's snarky and hilarious, and I love it so much. And, he's married to Brad Goreski. So obviously I needed to see what was up.

Janetti's trademark humor is certainly here. His humor is sarcastic and wry, which is often my favorite kind. The kind that's subtle enough that you could easily miss something hilarious if you're not paying attention.

I couldn't help, at
Doug
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
You would think autobiographical sketches by a writer/producer of 'Will & Grace' and 'Vicious' would at the very least be uproariously funny - but these are just shallow, silly and a bit sad. I almost ditched it at the 1/3 mark, and really should have. It would have helped also if the stories had been presented in chronological order, to cut down on a lot of repetitious back-tracking - but that would have made a short book even shorter, I suppose. Disappointing, to say the least (and not to ...more
Jill
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible
I wish this book were 400 pages longer. I loved it beyond any review I could ever write.
Marika
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
Author Gary Janetti has been many things: Executive producer of hit tv shows (Will and Grace), writer for the tv show Family Guy and an actor. Add a hilarious author to his list. This book "Do You Mind If I Cancel?: (Things That Still Annoy Me) is filled with short chapters/essays about his life that will crack up even the oldest curmudgeon (is there a female word for curmeudgeon?) Anyway, this book is a irreverent, hilarious coming of age book...also a coming out book.

*I read an advance copy
Jessica
Nov 25, 2019 rated it did not like it
Like if David Sedaris had zero self-awareness and was obsessed with being hot and nostalgic about his 20s
Jessica
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you like David Sedaris you will probably like this book. It’s quick and mostly light and funny. Gary talks about growing up in the 70s and 90s and groans a lot about how much life would have been easier had google existed back then

My only critique would be that some of the stories would reference elements of other stories in a way as if he hadn’t just talked about it. The individual chapters weren’t as cohesive as it could’ve been. Still an enjoyable read!

/5, rounded up.

Thanks to the
Nina
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5/5

I was in the mood for a lighthearted, funny read and this one hit the spot. For those of you who are unfamiliar with Gary Janetti, he has been a long-time writer for Family Guy as well as one of the executive producers of Will & Grace. The book does not cover his time on either one of these shows, but rather his arduous and unlikely path to success.

Janetti provides a humorous and brutally honest insight into his journey to become a successful writer in Hollywood. You learn about his
Autumn
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lgbtq, memoir, 80s, 90s, cute
Light memoir from a TV industry guy about growing up gay in Long Island and NYC in the 80s and young adulthood in the early 90s. Not bad, and could be great for anyone really into an 80s preppy gay aesthetic. Janetti pens chapter-long paens to Patti Lupone, One Life to Live, long lost jobs and old boyfriends. There's a bit too much of the 'in my day there WAS no Google, children', but otherwise an interesting glimpse into a vanished time and place.
Valerie
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
I love Gary Janetti's Instagram page and looked forward to more of his humor in this memoir/collection of essays. The humor carries through and I really enjoyed it. I started out listening to the audio book and do not recommend that. Gary is the narrator and I just couldn't stand his monotone cadence. Halfway through, I switched to the Kindle version and realized I much preferred reading his words myself.
Katy
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bio-ish
One of my favorites! I haven't laughed or enjoyed personal essays since reading Jen Lancaster's first book! I can't wait to go back and read this a second time (only because I read most it of after putting my newborn to sleep ... and I would often fall asleep myself). If you appreciate honest writing that will make you "literally" laugh out loud, read this (oh! and follow Gary on Instagram too!!!).
Susan Johnson
Oct 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaways
An enjoyable book. Gary’s anecdotes from various times in his life were sometimes humorous, sometimes not, but insightful.
Moira
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
GARY! I’ve been so looking forward to this book and was delighted that I wasn’t let down. This was hands down one of the funniest collection of essays I’ve read in awhile. There are certain chapters I can see reading over and over again. The perfect book to read on an otherwise cold and blah Tuesday.
Lorri Steinbacher
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Read in prepub. Due out 10/22/19.

I loved this book. I laughed out loud at every single chapter. But that's not why I loved it. I loved it because Janetti captures a bittersweet nostalgia (albeit couched in his very dry wit and "over-it" attitude) that anyone who has ever been an exile in their own life can relate to.

Recommended for all readers.
Basic B's Guide
Sep 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Some of you may know Gary Janetti from his hilarious Instagram account where Prince William is featured as his “bitchy tyrant”. He he. I saw a post the other day that read “My tombstone will read he died scrolling Instagram.” I about died of laughter on that one. Needless to say, the guy is a funny dude. He’s also been a writer for the show Family Guy for years and was an executive producer on Will and Grace. Although his career got off to a slow start (as you’ll soon see in the book) the ...more
Babette
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love the author, and I love the book, a collection of
personal essays that are at once hilarious and poignant. I laughed out loud reading this on the subway, and will probably turn to it again and again to remind myself of how much worse life was without smart phones and Google, and how much better it is when you find your voice, and the right people with whom you can share it.
Jessi
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
I won an ARC of this book in a Goodreads giveaway.

I was not familiar with Gary Janetti when I entered the giveaway, but the praise in the description saying this would be laugh-out-loud funny and similar to Tina Fey or David Sedaris drew me in. Sadly, those descriptions were just completely untrue.

I thought this book started off fine, but the chapters seemed disordered. I have no idea how they chose which story to put when. There seemed to be no rhyme or reason.

It also seemed to end abruptly.
Betty
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: flatiron-books
Quick read but I did not find it interesting. Guess I am too old for this kind of humor.
Russ Weeks
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
So fun! I enjoyed it. I laughed out loud several times. I also cried a little bit when he talked about being addicted to soap operas as a child (this was me) and especially when he mentioned my favorite episode of KNOTS LANDING! That was my favorite show!
Maryanne
Oct 29, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 too short!! I wanted more! Gary has a really easy-to-enjoy writing style. It’s like you are in the room with him, hearing these stories in person. ...more
Andrienne
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book had me laughing but it also tugged at my heart strings. A collection of essays of being gay in the 80s and 90s. It’s slim but it packs a lot of emotion as well as laughs. Janetti talks a lot about television, after all he became a TV writer.

Review copy provided by the author.
Beth
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you came of age in the 80s...gay, straight, male, female, whatever...this book of hilarious essays is everything.
Nathalia
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much. The short essays are moving, poignant, delightfully funny and have changed my opinion on stream of consciousness writing (for the better). The agony of finding yourself when you are a hesitant, gay, teenage boy were profoundly nuanced and honest. An easy and lovely read.
Patrick Stephen
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a funny audiobook
Amy lifewiththe_williams
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don’t read a lot of non fic but this was so so great! I loved it so much and found it so hilarious and endearing
Donna Brogan
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fun trip through Janetti's hysterical thought processes. He takes overthinking to new levels and we benefit. If you aren't following his Instagram account you are missing out on loads of sarcasm.
Tamara
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There is no one I love more than Gary!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Dutch House
  • Know My Name
  • The Family Upstairs
  • The Secrets We Kept
“You will derive much satisfaction in later life simply by shooting looks at people.” 1 likes
“Let’s see, what else? Don’t go into debt over clothes. Hug your dogs while you have them. Know that you can skip most anything. You will fall in love eventually. Remember that. Also, the things you like aren’t weird. Don’t worry about being normal. It’s an awful thing to aspire to.” 1 likes