Start by marking “Do You Mind If I Cancel? (Things That Still Annoy Me)” as Want to Read:
Do You Mind If I Cancel? (Things That Still Annoy Me)

Do You Mind If I Cancel? (Things That Still Annoy Me)

Gary Janetti, the writer and producer for some of the most popular television comedies of all time, and creator of one of the most wickedly funny Instagram accounts there is, now turns his skills to the page in a hilarious, and poignant book chronicling the pains and indignities of everyday life.

Gary spends his twenties in New York, dreaming of starring on soap
Published October 22nd 2019 by Flatiron Books

To ask other readers questions about Do You Mind If I Cancel?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Do You Mind If I Cancel?

Start your review of Do You Mind If I Cancel? (Things That Still Annoy Me)
Suzanne
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So funny! This book is my type of humor for sure. I was highly entertained and loved every minute of it. Time flew right back while I was reading. I hope he continues writing more books like these!
Tyler Goodson
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I knew this would be funny, but it's also personal and honest and moving. Janetti manages to be vicious AND likable, even while chastising you for not knowing what Norma Rae is (I knew that one!). These essays are equal parts insight and acid, and you will love every second of them.
Brei
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I laughed and even cried in parts at Gary Janetti's new book Do You Mind If I Cancel. Some of you may know Gary because he puts up hysterical memes on Instagram of Prince George. Some of you may know Gary because he is married to the amazing stylist Brad from the Rachel Zoe show and soon after his own TV show. Last but not least you may know Gary because he is an amazing television writer. No matter how you know Gary you should definitely pick up Do You Mind If I Cancel. You will laugh and you m ...more
Jill
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible
I wish this book were 400 pages longer. I loved it beyond any review I could ever write.
Lindsey
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
I want to start this review by stating, I am obsessed with Gary Janetti’s Instagram. The Prince George memes are absolutely incredible and I love Family Guy, always have. But, I didn’t love this book. It felt disjointed all the way through. He jumped around telling stories about growing up but I feel like I learned more about his favorite soap opera plot lines than I did about him.

I did enjoy the last two pages of the book, but would have loved reading more stories about him getting into the wr
Marika
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
Author Gary Janetti has been many things: Executive producer of hit tv shows (Will and Grace), writer for the tv show Family Guy and an actor. Add a hilarious author to his list. This book "Do You Mind If I Cancel?: (Things That Still Annoy Me) is filled with short chapters/essays about his life that will crack up even the oldest curmudgeon (is there a female word for curmeudgeon?) Anyway, this book is a irreverent, hilarious coming of age book...also a coming out book.

*I read an advance copy a
Jessica
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you like David Sedaris you will probably like this book. It’s quick and mostly light and funny. Gary talks about growing up in the 70s and 90s and groans a lot about how much life would have been easier had google existed back then 😂

My only critique would be that some of the stories would reference elements of other stories in a way as if he hadn’t just talked about it. The individual chapters weren’t as cohesive as it could’ve been. Still an enjoyable read!

⭐⭐⭐💫/5, rou
Susan Johnson
Oct 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaways
An enjoyable book. Gary’s anecdotes from various times in his life were sometimes humorous, sometimes not, but insightful.
Nina
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5/5

I was in the mood for a lighthearted, funny read and this one hit the spot. For those of you who are unfamiliar with Gary Janetti, he has been a long-time writer for Family Guy as well as one of the executive producers of Will & Grace. The book does not cover his time on either one of these shows, but rather his arduous and unlikely path to success.

Janetti provides a humorous and brutally honest insight into his journey to become a successful writer in Hollywood.
Moira
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
GARY! I’ve been so looking forward to this book and was delighted that I wasn’t let down. This was hands down one of the funniest collection of essays I’ve read in awhile. There are certain chapters I can see reading over and over again. The perfect book to read on an otherwise cold and blah Tuesday.
Lorri Steinbacher
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Read in prepub. Due out 10/22/19.

I loved this book. I laughed out loud at every single chapter. But that's not why I loved it. I loved it because Janetti captures a bittersweet nostalgia (albeit couched in his very dry wit and "over-it" attitude) that anyone who has ever been an exile in their own life can relate to.

Recommended for all readers.
Basic B's Guide
Sep 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Some of you may know Gary Janetti from his hilarious Instagram account where Prince William is featured as his “bitchy tyrant”. He he. I saw a post the other day that read “My tombstone will read he died scrolling Instagram.” I about died of laughter on that one. Needless to say, the guy is a funny dude. He’s also been a writer for the show Family Guy for years and was an executive producer on Will and Grace. Although his career got off to a slow start (as you’ll soon see in the book) the journe ...more
Nathalia
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much. The short essays are moving, poignant, delightfully funny and have changed my opinion on stream of consciousness writing (for the better). The agony of finding yourself when you are a hesitant, gay, teenage boy were profoundly nuanced and honest. An easy and lovely read.
Andrienne
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book had me laughing but it also tugged at my heart strings. A collection of essays of being gay in the 80s and 90s. It’s slim but it packs a lot of emotion as well as laughs. Janetti talks a lot about television, after all he became a TV writer.

Review copy provided by the author.
Babette
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love the author, and I love the book, a collection of
personal essays that are at once hilarious and poignant. I laughed out loud reading this on the subway, and will probably turn to it again and again to remind myself of how much worse life was without smart phones and Google, and how much better it is when you find your voice, and the right people with whom you can share it.
Patrick Stephen
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a funny audiobook
Amy lifewiththe_williams
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don’t read a lot of non fic but this was so so great! I loved it so much and found it so hilarious and endearing
Maryanne
Oct 29, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 ⭐ too short!! I wanted more! Gary has a really easy-to-enjoy writing style. It’s like you are in the room with him, hearing these stories in person. ...more
Beth
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you came of age in the 80s...gay, straight, male, female, whatever...this book of hilarious essays is everything.
Tamara
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There is no one I love more than Gary!
Jessi
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
I won an ARC of this book in a Goodreads giveaway.

I was not familiar with Gary Janetti when I entered the giveaway, but the praise in the description saying this would be laugh-out-loud funny and similar to Tina Fey or David Sedaris drew me in. Sadly, those descriptions were just completely untrue.

I thought this book started off fine, but the chapters seemed disordered. I have no idea how they chose which story to put when. There seemed to be no rhyme or reason.

It also s
Robin
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a fan of Gary’s instagram posts, I was afraid his book wasn’t going to measure up, but I was wrong. Soap operas, Patti LaPone, Judith Light, faking sick at school, life pre Google......Funny, heartwarming, snarky..very enjoyable read.
Cindy
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Writer, producer (Family Guy, Vicious) and Instagram rock star Gary Janetti offers hilarious and sometimes poignant essays on life and the pursuit of, if not happiness, then at least a good seat in a restaurant. Janetti writes about coming of age, coming out, family and adulthood with a self-deprecating tone and an eye for absurd (and annoying) behavior all around him. This collection, his first, is being compared to the essays of David Sederis. Decide for yourself: grab this book and settle in, ...more
Hannah
Gary Janetti is one of those guys who seems to have done everything in life and always with a funny story up his sleeve, making Do You Mind If I Cancel? a hilarious and captivating read that’ll make you want to be the best of friends with him by the end. Each chapter is a witty anecdote to his life, from the irrevecable love a closeted teenager can have for Patti Lupone, the power of 80s TV dramas such as One Life to Live.

Even if you have no clue who Gary is (which was me), this book
Autumn
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 80s, 90s, memoir, cute, lgbtq
Light memoir from a TV industry guy about growing up gay in Long Island and NYC in the 80s and young adulthood in the early 90s. Not bad, and could be great for anyone really into an 80s preppy gay aesthetic. Janetti pens chapter-long paens to Patti Lupone, One Life to Live, long lost jobs and old boyfriends. There's a bit too much of the 'in my day there WAS no Google, children', but otherwise an interesting glimpse into a vanished time and place.
Ampersand Inc.
Jessica (3/5):
A hilarious collection of raw and honest essays.

Laureen (3/5):
If you like the humour of David Sedaris you’ll enjoy reading Janetti’s punchy, witty and snarky essays about his childhood, dreams of being famous, crappy jobs, boy crushes and much more. Lots of laugh-out-loud passages. And check our Janetti’s Instagram account; he’s hilarious.
Donna
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
The first 5 essays in the book are quite funny, although there is a lot of anger bristling through, so much so, that some parts are over written. I feel like Janetti doesn't have enough distance from the stories to tell them yet. The remaining essays didn't captivate me. It's a very slim volume and there really wasn't enough material for a book.
Thanks to the publisher for an ARC .
Janine
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a deceptively short and simple collection of essays. I needed to read it because Gary Janetti's instagram is just...amazing. It's snarky and hilarious, and I love it so much. And, he's married to Brad Goreski. So obviously I needed to see what was up.

Janetti's trademark humor is certainly here. His humor is sarcastic and wry, which is often my favorite kind. The kind that's subtle enough that you could easily miss something hilarious if you're not paying attention.

I couldn't help, at o
Jill
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss
Television writer/producer Gary Janetti grew up in a time of the golden age of nighttime soaps, little parental supervision, Bennigan’s, and gay teenagers being in the closet. And in his new collection of essays, Do You Mind If I Cancel?, he revisits many of those iconic moments from his past and shares all this thoughts and feelings with us now.

Being a horrible server at ‘80s clutter-as-decor restaurant Bennigans? Done. Trying to get on the set of One Life to Live? He did that. Faking sick to
Tonstant Weader
Nov 03, 2019 rated it liked it
The first time I saw Gary Janetti was in his husband’s series “It’s a Brad Brad World” about the celebrity stylist Brad Goreski who had been the long-suffering new hire on Rachel Zoe’s show. I was happy to see him launch independently and watched the show. Gary seemed one of those prickly on the outside, mushy on the inside curmudgeons that I love, so I was excited to read his book. I like witty grumpy people and Do You Mind If I Cancel? delivers.

The eighteen essays are mostly about
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Semifinal Round
2,502,901 Votes Cast

• Dear Girls: Intimate Tales, Untold Secrets, and Advice for Living Your Best Life
  • Inside Out
  • Pumpkinheads
  • Catch and Kill: Lies, Spies, and a Conspiracy to Protect Predators
  • Beautiful on the Outside
  • Guts
  • The Tyrant's Tomb (The Trials of Apollo, #4)
  • Tunnel of Bones (Cassidy Blake, #2)
  • Chances Are...
  • Over the Top: A Raw Journey to Self-Love
  • Unorthodox: The Scandalous Rejection of My Hasidic Roots
  • My Friend Anna
  • The Lager Queen of Minnesota
  • Cilka's Journey (The Tattooist of Auschwitz, #2)
  • The Stationery Shop
  • All This Could Be Yours
  • Twice in a Blue Moon
  • Nightshade
“Let’s see, what else? Don’t go into debt over clothes. Hug your dogs while you have them. Know that you can skip most anything. You will fall in love eventually. Remember that. Also, the things you like aren’t weird. Don’t worry about being normal. It’s an awful thing to aspire to.” 1 likes
“This is also very important. Never take the first table they offer you in a restaurant. Don’t even start walking with the host until you know where you’re going. “What table were you thinking of giving us?” always lets them know you mean business right off the bat. Never sit by the door, near a waiter station, or across from the bathroom. Always take the seat facing out to the room. If there is a booth available you definitely want that.” 1 likes