Start by marking “Impossible Commands: How to Obey God When It Seems That You Can't” as Want to Read:
Impossible Commands: How to Obey God When It Seems That You Can't

Impossible Commands: How to Obey God When It Seems That You Can't

Numerous voices tell us constantly that there is no such thing as impossible. You can do whatever you want to do and you can be whatever you want to be. And this extends to obeying God's commands. Many of our problems in living for Jesus stem from the root problem that we think we can do it. We think that we have the power within us. We are told we can do it. We know we ar ...more
Published June 1st 2019 by Good Book Company

To ask other readers questions about Impossible Commands, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Impossible Commands

Start your review of Impossible Commands: How to Obey God When It Seems That You Can't
Issac
Jun 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really needed this book to come along right now because this topic has been on my mind. I like the way Jonty deals with these "impossible" commands and doesn't get overly pious, but rather is honest about how we often will fail.

There's some good practical advice but the message for me was stop trying to carry around "Christian traits" in a legalistic way, reset your focus (on Christ), and set out to joyfully follow Him by heavily relying on Jesus and not your actions.

I think this text early
Aaron Lee
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Trust and Obey was one of the first songs I learned as a child. “Trust and obey, for there’s no other way, to be happy in Jesus, than to trust and obey.” A simple tune with profound truth. But reflecting on the lyrics now that I am older, I am caught in a significant dilemma. I definitely want to obey Jesus, but it sometimes seems impossible to do so. How can I obey Christ completely when his commands seem so impossible?

It Really Is Impossible

Author Jonty Allcock leans into this problem by ackno
Kate
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian, e-book
This is an absolutely brilliant book. Jonty focuses on some of the commands Jesus makes and how for us they are impossible to obey perfectly this side of heaven. But rather than excusing us from obedience the author reminds the reader how to pursue joyful obedience through Christ. It starts with acknowledging that we cannot keep these commands in our own strength, repenting, asking for Gods help and then making every effort to joyfully obey. This book is full of grace and biblical encouragement. ...more
Joshua
Jul 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Crisp writing. Takes important concepts, and explains it very simply and logically.

Even my 12 year old daughter, who read the first chapter, was able to understand.

Nothing that you will find new here, if you are a more mature Christian. But it is a good read, as the author writes well, and makes his explanation very clear.
Dr Eiznof
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A helpful and practical guide for Christians who are struggling to be obedient and equally torn by the slippery and tempting slope towards sin and easy living. Jonty offers a heartfelt and encouraging approach towards obedience, one that is not rooted in legalism but instead, a joyful one. A must-read.
Jenwei Lee
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Deeply grateful for this joyful view of God's commands. ...more
Alison Coles
Dec 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
I found this a most helpful book. The guide for how to tackle these commands was useful and easy to remember ( I can't, Sorry, Help me, Go for it!) The examples demonstrated how to use these guidelines and I am sure will be of use to me in the future. ...more
Lisa Snead
Russell Anderson
Jun 10, 2020

• Gentle and Lowly: The Heart of Christ for Sinners and Sufferers
  • Repeat the Sounding Joy: A daily Advent devotional on Luke 1–2
  • Garden City: Work, Rest, and the Art of Being Human.
  • Plugged In: Connecting Your Faith with Everything You Watch, Read, and Play
  • Identity Theft: Reclaiming the Truth of our Identity in Christ
  • On the Road with Saint Augustine: A Real-World Spirituality for Restless Hearts
  • A London Sparrow: The Story Of Gladys Aylward
  • None Like Him: 10 Ways God Is Different from Us (and Why That's a Good Thing)
  • The Bookshop on the Shore (Scottish Bookshop, #2)
  • The Book Your Pastor Wishes You Would Read: But Is Too Embarrassed to Ask