Start by marking “From An-Other Land” as Want to Read:
From An-Other Land

From An-Other Land

Never has been the conversation on immigration more pertinent than now, post 2016 US elections. From cancellation of refugee protection and zero tolerance to undercurrent crackdown on H visas, the resurgence of nationalism is hitting the globalized population head-on.

But what is immigration today? A question of life or death - fleeing of persecution? A compulsion? Or a me
Published 2018 by Readomania

To ask other readers questions about From An-Other Land, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From An-Other Land

Stephanie Jane (Literary Flits)
See more of my book reviews on my blog, Literary Flits

I was delighted to be offered a review copy of From An-Other Land because I felt this short story collection might offer alternative perspectives on the immigration experience. That is absolutely the case! I loved that Ghosh portrays a wide variety of authentic characters who each undertake their journeys to America for very different reasons. I had previously understood people emigrating to achieve their own dreams, but it must be even more
C V Lakshmi
Dec 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Friends!
I am not addressing you, the readers, but remembering the iconic sitcom from where many of us got our images of life in the USA. This and other TV shows and books, of course, have been our window to the American way of life. “From An-Other Land” by Tanushree Ghosh brings to us a view from another window---- through the eyes of Indian immigrants to the Land of Oppportunity.
Laced with understated humour, this book of short stories throws up the complex dynamics of relationships, between p
Amy
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it

Every once in a while, I NEED to read a book like this. I need to read a book that bursts my happy little bubble. That pushes me outside of my comfort zone and into the real world, where things beyond toddler temper tantrums are happening. A world where greatness exists alongside unimaginable fear and pain.

The reality of the lives of people trying to immigrate to this country is stark. I can't begin to enumerate the lists of things I learned about immigra
Sunita Saldhana

The first thing that caught my attention was the Author’s Note. It was one of the best written introductions that I have come across.

Once I started reading the book, I found it a bit depressing initially. It seemed as if all the stories were sad ones. I even put the book down to go and do something happier. But then I can never stop reading a book half way and so I was back.

And am I glad I picked up the book again. Because the rest of the afternoon transported me to a different world.

The weird
Kimberly Bunker
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"From Another Land" is a marvelous book. Ms. Ghosh's writing cuts to the core of each character - I felt like I knew each and every one. Ms. Ghosh has the unique ability to discuss an enormous, world-sweeping issue through the lens of individual lives, which is, of course, where issues play out, and where we find compassion, wisdom, and understanding. Her writing has a shimmery, urgent quality that makes each character feel so real and knowable. I can't wait to read more of her writing.
Laurel Leigh
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ghosh Tells Eternal Truths About Immigration.

Tanushree Ghosh’s FROM AN-OTHER LAND unabashedly challenges our notions of personal and cultural identity, with characters who seek to define themselves in an intercultural setting that is less and less sure of itself. Ghosh isn’t afraid to poke her characters with a stick to see what they’re truly made of. From a family man who succumbs to the forbidden temptations of white-water rafting, to a woman torn between preservation of self and the confines
Eowyn Tintalle