Start by marking “The Escape Manual for Introverts” as Want to Read:
The Escape Manual for Introverts

The Escape Manual for Introverts

Feeling cornered at a wedding reception by gossipy guests? Stuck at a holiday party that lasts forever? This beautifully illustrated book is the ultimate funny, sometimes absurd guide to escaping those painfully awkward situations.

Trapped in an airplane seated next to a chatterbox? Are you hosting a dinner party with people who just won't leave? Katie Vaz has the key to y
Published August 6th 2019 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Escape Manual for Introverts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Escape Manual for Introverts

Start your review of The Escape Manual for Introverts
Julie
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Escape Manual for Introverts by Katie Vaz is a 2019 Andrews McMeel Publishing release.

A constructive, comical, and applicable guide for all introverts!

Anyone following my reviews has probably heard me allude to my being an introvert. I’m not just an introvert- but an extreme introvert- I also LIKE being an introvert. Extroverts tend not to understand that, so I’ve read several books on how to bridge the gap or cope in an extroverted world.

This book does a fine job of giving those who fin
Carol (Bookaria)
A short, humorous graphic novel about ways introverts can escape social situations.

Being an introvert myself, I can relate to the appeal of solitude and silence. The book presents various scenarios and different escape routes for the quiet ones. I liked the art, it was simple but clear and beautifully drawn.

Overall, I enjoyed it and recommend it to introverts who enjoy stories in graphic form.

Received ARC from the publisher via Netgalley
Chad
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019, netgalley-2019
I'm something of an introvert myself but this introvert found this to be a straight forward, common sense list lacking any wit or humor and is perhaps, somewhat droll. At best, it's a five minute flip through read while sitting on the toilet.

Received a review copy from Andrews McMeel Publishing and NetGalley. All thoughts are my own and in no way influenced by the aforementioned.
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
This is pretty basic: it's just a collection of possible scenarios you might face, and things you could say to get out of those situations. Some of them are amusing, but mostly, they're repetitive and generic, like saying "I have to go pick up (insert name of person nobody at party knows) from (insert far-away location), bye!"

I definitely expected more comedy from this and I thought it would be... well, cuter? Sigh.

Thank you so much to the publisher for providing me with this ARC in exchange for
Emma
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
The ARC of this book was provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

This was such a cute and fun read. I'm an introvert and I actually saw myself in some of these lovely comics. The drawing style was simple but effective and also quite pleasing to look at. I think this book would make the perfect gift for someone who's an introvert.
Kalyn✨
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
"Just because I don't want to go doesn't mean I don't like you."

Oh, how truer words have never been spoken. I want this to be on a little card I can slip over to friends and family while politely denying their invitations to huge gatherings. "That'll be a big, huge, gigantic no from me, but thanks for the invite! xoxox"

The Escape Manual is a funny little graphic novel that'll easily win over any introvert with its clever (and sometimes slightly absurd) excuses to avoid social interactions. T
La Coccinelle
Jul 24, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: netgalley, arc, comic, adult
This book should've been right up my alley. I'm an introvert. It can take me days to "recover" from a big social event. I need my alone time, and my peace and quiet. Unfortunately, The Escape Manual for Introverts doesn't seem to be talking about introverts at all, but rather people with antisocial personality disorder. Perhaps a more appropriate title would be The Guide to Lying for Misanthropes.

Yes, I understand that some of these suggestions are tongue-in-cheek and not to be taken seriously.
Stephanie
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
“Use this “Plausibility of Excuse Absurdity” graph as a guideline to how eccentric your escape can safely be to maintain reasonable amounts of believability.” Does this book come in pocket form?
This is an adorable and hilarious book filled with excuses to help introverts avoid any and all social situations that make them uncomfortable.
ARC provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Yoly
Jul 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
A short and funny graphic novel that as an introvert I highly appreciate.
Some of the excuses are silly but even those feel like logical responses.

I recommend it to introverts who want to have a little fun.
Etienne
Jun 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Funny little cartoons like tips for introvert. Most bookish persons are introvert and so probably would see themselves into those situations. They were funny, but not laughing out loud or crying your eyes out funny. More of a smile here and there. I really like and enjoy the concept, but the execution could have been better, the illustrations were alright for this kind of book, but the humor of it all cold have been raise a little higher. It depends of your sense of humor of course.
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Cute illustrations but there's no meat to it at all. Fun to flip through but with nothing original. Also, I'm not sure how I feel about encouraging introverts to lie and pretend they have other social engagements, rather than owning their introversion.
Peacegal
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Needless to say, this title was instantly appealing to a person who once snuck out of a junior high dance...to read a book. (True story.)

It's not that we don't like you, it's just that to introverts, social situations can be quite draining. This book recognizes this with a healthy dose of humor. Some of the "advice" for escaping social situations are downright silly, but others are useful--and some will be instantly recognizable to those of us who have for years been ducking away for "me time."
Dee Dee G
Oct 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Short cute book.
Kristina Simon
I enjoyed this cute, humorous collection of cartoons on the various ways introverts can wiggle out of unwanted social situations. Some plausible. Some outrageously tongue-in-cheek. While the suggestions can get pretty silly, I found the art and colors quite pleasing.

Thank you to NetGalley, Andrews McMeel Publishing, and Katie Vaz for providing me with a free electronic copy in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Talia Colley
Sep 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, humor
Hilarious! A quick, fun reads for introverts.
Clockwork bibliophile
Thank you net galley for sending me a digital copy of this graphic novel.

This was a very quick and fun read. As an introvert, I could strongly relate to most of the situations. The book is exactly what the title suggests - that is - a guidebooks for all the introverts out there to help them wiggle out of any social situation. Katie Vaz's suggestions range from ordinary ways like, saying you have an important meeting etc. to hilariously preposterous methods such as staging your own kidnapping. Th
Lily
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, 2019, arcs
***Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for giving me a free ARC in exchange for an honest review!***

I loved this. As an ambivert who leans slightly toward introvert, all of these concepts are just SO relatable! Some of the situations made me cringe, and that made me love them even more.

Plus, the "escape suggestions" are a perfect combination of "THIS COULD TOTALLY WORK" and "This is absolutely hilarious." My favorite was "My succulent has anxiety and can't be left alone for too long."

This
Dawn Stahl
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
The illustrations by author artist designer Katie Vaz make me so happy. What I love most about this book, however, is the combination of practically plausible alibis and totally ridiculous escape plans. It's the sort of book I'd put out on the coffee table and laugh over with friends. Except I wouldn't want to give away all my new exit strategies. 😉⁣
Lexi
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
(ARC provided by NetGalley) 3.5 rounded up, it’s a really cute book and very relatable! I love the style of the illustrations and some of the far fetched, but considerable, actions to take in these situation! Cute and quirky, a nice flip through for fellow introverts
Hannah
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
Some of the lines could be a useful primer if you've never managed to extract yourself from an unwanted interaction before, but there was nothing charming or funny about the illustrations or execution.
Dhai
Oct 13, 2020 rated it liked it
It’s smart in a weird way XD.
Queen Cronut
Jun 08, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. A hilarious and cute manual for introverts on how to avoid social situations. The cartoons are funny and the way the scenarios are portrayed is so relatable. The humor for me though was either there or off the mark. A light read and a perfect companion after reading Quiet Power by Susan Cain.

*Thank you to NetGalley and Andrew McMeel Publishing for providing a free ARC
bookishly_sweety
Jun 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Funny and cute illustrations that are created for every possible scenarios that introverts might encounter and require help in escaping from socializing. Some of them were really funny and practical while some (hire a kidnapper !?!) weren’t . I loved the illustrations and I just hoped for a little more realistic tips, as in I was looking for ‘actual’ tips that would help save the day and give me my alone time 😛
3.5 stars ⭐️
*Thank you to the publishers! I received a NetGalley eARC in exchange fo
Robyn Maire
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
‘’I’d love to, but I have a book club’’ (Who has to know it’s with yourself?)

The Escape Manual for Introverts promises to save our inner introvert in a range of situations from being trapped in an aeroplane next to a chatterbox or wanting to leave a party early, with excuses ready. Sadly most scenarios were unrealistic and the solutions ridiculous.
They were meant to be funny, which some were, but not enough for me to rate it higher. The illustrations were not really my style but not bad by any
Kailey (BooksforMKs)
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This graphic novel explores the different ways an introvert can escape social scenarios or minimize awkward social contact. Escape on a jet pack! Hire a kidnapper to get you away! Pretend you don't speak English.

Some of the suggestions are funny, but some are actually do-able. Some of the ideas would only last for a short time, and some are the perfect exit strategies.

If you are wondering how to escape an office party, how to get out of another dinner with your talkative aunt, or how to avoid e
Ivana
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Katie Vaz' The Escape Manual for Introverts is a cute graphic novel that provides many ways to escape uncomfortable social situations.
It is divided into five categories:
1. Friends
2. Relatives
3. Coworkers
4. Acquaintances
5. Strangers

The art style is very cute. I really like the palette chosen for this graphic novel - everything is pastel colored. I think it is very fitting.

The escape routes provided in this graphic novel range from realistic to absolutely outrageous and even crazy. It is all
Monique S. (The Ginger Librarian)
This is quite an entertaining little guide for introverts. I love how this book mixes truth with humor, while teaching introverts how to escape energy draining situations. The hand drawn illustrations are especially charming—some of which are sincere, many of which are quite funny. This is a quick read that I finished in about an hour and really enjoyed.

"The Escape Manual for Introverts" is a super cute book that I highly recommend to all introverts as well as those who want to better understand
Emma
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
I was expecting this book to be a fun lighthearted read, but I was quite disappointed. Instead of finding it funny, I just felt concerned that it seemed to reinforce the idea that people can't be honest about what they need.

[Free ARC from Edelweiss+]
Marsha
Jul 22, 2019 rated it liked it
It's hard for me to review this book because the netgalley ebook I downloaded was not fully readable, but from what I could see see, it's amusing.
Sharon Tyler
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Escape Manual for Introverts by Katie Vaz is currently scheduled for release on August 6 2019. Trapped in an airplane seated next to a chatterbox? Are you hosting a dinner party with people who just won't leave? Katie Vaz has the key to your escape. The Escape Manual for Introverts guides readers through different scenarios with themed chapters ("Friends," "Relatives," "Strangers," etc.). Each chapter covers a range of situations, from an invitation to karaoke night to group lunchtime. And s ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• I Think I Am In Friend-Love With You
  • Happily Ever After & Everything In Between
  • Slothilda: Living the Sloth Life
  • Just Peachy: Comics About Depression, Anxiety, Love, and Finding the Humor in Being Sad
  • Loading Penguin Hugs: Heartwarming Comics from Chibird
  • I Left The House Today!
  • The Black Mage
  • Kind of Coping: An Illustrated Look at Life with Anxiety
  • War and Peas: Funny Comics for Dirty Lovers
  • Mooncakes
  • If My Dogs Were a Pair of Middle-Aged Men
I’m an illustrator and author living in Upstate New York with my husband, a dog named Tater, and a cat named KittenFace McMittens. I recently illustrated and authored a book called My Life in Plants, which will be published by Andrews McMeel on September 1, 2020. I’ve also authored and illustrated The Escape Manual for Introverts (Andrews McMeel, 2019), Make Yourself Cozy: A Guide for Practicing S ...more

News & Interviews