Start by marking “A Field Guide to Color: Watercolor Explorations in Hues, Tints, Shades, and Everything in Between” as Want to Read:

Play with paint, get creative with color, and discover your personal palette--a joyful, interactive workbook for creativity, self-expression, and deepening your understanding of how color works.

Color is one of the most profound ways we have to express ourselves. In this lively workbook for artists, graphic designers, hobbyists, and creators of all types, you will journal y
Published August 1st 2019 by Roost Books

To ask other readers questions about A Field Guide to Color, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Field Guide to Color

Andreia ❤The Butterfly Lover❤
Lisa Solomon! WOW!! This is the best Watercolor book I have ever read! A delight to my eyes! Such beauty and inspiration! I loved the fact that the exercises are focused on Color charts and Abstract watercolor art! Only I know how much I love Abstract Art!! I have been studying watercolor for more than a year now and this book surprised me so much. Sincerely recommended to Art students and hobbyists. Thank you Netgalley for my ARC in exchange for an honest review!
Literary Soirée
I used to be drawn to placid earth tones, but as I’ve become more sure of my unique style, I find bright hues magnetic, hence my request to review A FIELD GUIDE TO COLOR by one of my fave publishers, Roost Books.

And gee whiz, does this color Bible make me happy, with prompts and ideas for using hues creatively and confidently. You will learn color theory, explore preferences, play with color mixing (fun!), and create a personalized color wheel. I can’t wait to do all the exercises and believe it
Janet
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Play with paint, get creative with colour, and discover your personal palette--a joyful, interactive workbook for creativity, self-expression, and deepening your understanding of how colour works.

Colour is one of the most profound ways we have to express ourselves. In this lively workbook fo
Erica
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
FTC disclosure: I would like to thank Roost Books for providing me with an advance reader copy via access to the galley for free through the NetGalley program.

Such a fun, hands-on way to learn about watercolor from a book! I'd recommend this to anyone, whether you're new to watercolor painting or a seasoned artist. It would make a great gift and an excellent time at a paint party, family time, and small group crafting clubs.

I have only recently started to pick up painting about a year ago, some
Joanna
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
*An e-copy was given to me through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I learnt more through about colours through this book than I had in my last two semesters learning art in college (just to clarify, I’m not in a school for art but we do learn a little about it, graphite drawing mostly but a little of painting). A lot of this I wish I knew back when I was doing my assignments since it would’ve helped me to understand water-based colours better. I remember for one activity, we had to pa
Nicolet Groen
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-bookshelf
A Field Guide to Color is an inspirational way to learn more about color, mixing different colors, creating hues and shades through fun exercises. I read a pdf version of the book as an advanced reader so I could not use the book itself. I took out my watercolor paper and did a lot of the prompts and meditations. They challenged me to finally use watercolor and add it to my arsenal of mixed media tools.
Hopefully, the print version will have the right paper quality to use the book itself for the
Janall
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Roost Books and NetGalley for the advance copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
I really loved this book. I have read other books before on color theory, but what is so different about this one is the author’s sense of playfulness.
She encourages the reader to play with the colors and experiment with how they react to one another. She continuously coaches that there is no wrong, and no matter the results, you are learning.
Each section has information about the properti
Jane
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a practical guide to watercolor painting. Concise and complete, A Field Guide to Color introduces you to different mediums and materials and encourages the reader to explore their personal style using these mediums. This book gives you all you need to know on getting started and rules to remember. Illustrations and diagrams are easy to follow and remember. Very inspiring.

Many thanks to Lisa Solomon, NetGalley, and the publisher for an ARC of this book.
Elizabeth Grieve
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
A lovely, modern, practical book for those wishing to experiment with colour mixing, this explains the basic terminology of colour, then goes on to provide fun exercises in mixing, with space in the book to do so. Sadly I was not able to do so as I had a digital copy, but this is a book well worth buying for those just starting out, or even more experienced painters as it gives a fresh viewpoint on the topic of colour.
Thanks to the publisher for a digital review copy.
Doug
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a good book for a beginning artist as well as an advanced artist. The value for a more experienced painter is that the exercises encourage moving beyond your comfort zone. They are playful and fun but instructive. I believe this would be a good book for an artist who is experiencing a block in creativity. The exercises encourage explorations and can stimulate creativity
Riley
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
The title would be much better if it were simply called ”Watercolor Explorations” because that is what this book is all about. ”A Field Guide to Color” suggests something far more scientifically inclined. Aside from that, this was a book that encouraged and and suggested playful exploration to become more acquainted with both color mixing and whatever colors happen to be in the paintbox. The connection between meditation through art was discussed and several exercises/opportunities were presente ...more
Carissa
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is an incredibly fun, very interactive color exploration guide. It doesn't matter where you fall on the spectrum of experience with paint, it'll still be helpful. Even for the non-painters, this is a lovely book that explores just how varied and nuanced colors can be! If nothing else, it gives you something to paint on those days you're drawing blanks. Never hurts to get back to the basics!

I received a copy from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Loren
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
This is an awesome workbook. It gives good advice about watercolor techniques and gives space in which to practice those techniques. It also gives a good overview of the tools required to use watercolors appropriately.
Maxine Anders
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A book that speaks to the reader like a friend! Reading this was as enjoyable as it was instructive. Solomon invites color enthusiasts of all levels to dive in, learning or relearning the basics followed by more advanced color theory. The author is able to keep her energetic and endearing tone while presenting material in an easy-to-understand format. As a 20-year veteran art teacher, I plan on purchasing this for my next color theory class.
Naomi
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am SO glad to be able to say how beautiful this book is. I always worry that a book on colour won't utilise its topic within the layout but this book really doesn't disappoint.
Beginning with explaining terms that are commonly used when talking about colour, the author expertly guides us through the world of colour through words, images and exercises. Whilst this book is written from a watercolour perspective of colour, the same principles could be used an applied to your chosen medium (whethe
Becky
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lisa Solomon has done a superb job in creating a fun, educational, coloring book. Well, maybe not a coloring book in the sense we think of. The book begins with some basic instructions and the ability to paint on the pages of the book itself. What a wonderful idea!

I really like the way the author builds up your knowledge and skills. What better way to actually learn something than by hands-on learning? She encourages the reader to paint in the book, thus creating an art journal of sorts. Brilli
Lizbeth
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an advanced digital copy of this book from Netgalley.com and the publisher, Roost Books.

Pure and simple, Ms. Solomon has written an excellent color theory workbook for the experienced and novice watercolorist. The theories learned in this book can easily be applied to any other media with color. Relationships are taught and worked through, leading the reader to create new colors and palettes.

Painters can go beyond what they think of watercolors, the soft washed painting and create bri
Cherry
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a breath of fresh air! The author has done a fabulous job of presenting colour theory in a fun. cheery, lighthearted way which encourages the reader to have a go at the practical exercises without worrying about how good or perfect their results are. Child-like play to learn really useful theory. I love this approach, but it is usually missing from these colour theory reference books! I highly recommend this book!
Thanks to NetGalley for the review copy. The opinions expressed are my
Seema Rao
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pretty ~ Detailed ~ Doable
tl; dr: Approachable way to think about color theory.

I am a sucker for pretty. It's just who I am. So, this book was already a winner just based on the cover. But, reading the book makes me want to own it. Color theory is one of those easy, hard things. Red and blue theoretically make purple but try it, and you can easily get yuck grey. Solomon lays out many simple exercises, with cute graphic illustrations. I will be buying this book.

Thanks to NetGalley for an ARC in
Sharon Mensing
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this in digital version, which is NOT the way to read it! After providing some color theory background and some information about how to choose paints, the book moves on to color meditations. After guidance on how to the author came up with that particular meditation (or exercise), she gives an example and then leaves a page blank for you to do your own. Obviously not possible digitally.

What I will say is that the meditations look interesting and like a lot of fun, and this seems to be a
Monique
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I went into this book with only a very basic knowledge of warercolour painting, I have done this a lot when I was younger and recently decided to pick it up again because it is awesome combined with handlettering. And for me, this book was perfect. It also will be very much for more experienced painters, because it offers so much insights, but as a beginner, this is absolutely gold! Well, all colors including gold. I learned so much, by simply doing the excercises! The author teaches you how to ...more
Jilly
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Welcome to the beautiful rabbit hole of colour" is how Lisa Solomon introduces her wonderful book on colour mixing. It is always good to have new ideas promoting wellness and this is a great example. The author refers to 'colour meditation', explaining how it can be a good way to clear your mind and refocus.
As well as a thorough explanation of colour, there are fifteen exercises for you to experiment with colour mixing yourself. It is a fun, and as you would expect, colourful book and encourag
Daniel
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This review originally published in Looking For a Good Book. Rated 3.5 of 5

Painting is one of my most enjoyable hobbies - and it is just a hobby - and except for my high school years, I have not had any formal training (which probably shows). Because of this, I often enjoy art books that provide some training and lessons. A Field Guide to Color by Lisa Solomon is a beginner's guide to color in painting.

But note that I write it's a "beginner's" guide ... this is not mentioned in the title or the
Mechthild
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, nonfiction
Have courage to practice
Lisa Solomon, an artist of mixed-media works and grand-sized installations, who uses often unconventional mediums presents "A Field Guide to Color. A Watercolor Workbook", published by Roost Books. Solomon gives an introduction what color is and explains that the perception of color is also influenced by culture. She includes the terminologies as well as the color systems in this book. Furthermore, the book includes an introduction into paints and their qualities as well
Ramie
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for helping you to play around with colors (specifically watercolor though most of the theories will work with other mediums). The paper quality is very good. If you want to actually do the lessons in the book, you can. If you’re the type who prefers to scan something and do it on your own paper, that would work too. But this is one of those rare books that takes into account the medium at play and provides paper that is actually useable for the lessons at hand.

It starts wi
Loreto
Aug 21, 2019 marked it as to-read
A Field Guide to Color es el libro que no sabía que estaba buscando. Este verano he empezado a pintar con acuarelas y gouache y he ido un poco a la aventura. Nunca se me ha dado bien esperar y quedarme quieta hasta que aprenda todo, así que empecé a hacer paisajes y distintos dibujos desde casi el primer día. El libro de Solomon me parece perfecto para las personas que, como yo, han empezado a usar este tipo de materiales y que van haciendo cosas a ciegas.

A lo largo del libro iremos viendo ejer
Pam
Apr 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read and review this book.

Solomon takes us into the beginning world of watercolors by explaining color theory. She has designed and left spaces to ‘practice’ the lessons and experiment with watercolor paints.
The explanations are quite simple and are directed at an audience that has very little painting experience. . The photos are colorful and lively, adding to the appeal of this book. Artists just beginning, might want to add this boo
Agnes Preszler
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lovely and funny workbook for colour maniacs. The basics of color theory, color wheels, complementary colors, color schemes, simultaneous contrast, etc. Very simple exercises that step by step make you familiarize with the subject. Unique feature: the color meditations that make you think about the principles connecting them to everyday life. Licence to play with color without fear.
Bee
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very informative book on color theory and mixing colors. A lot of watercolor techniques and supplies are covered and practical tips for general painting. Great book for an artist's library.
Susan Schwake
Aug 27, 2019
Lisa Solomon is a studio artist that moonlights as a college professor and graphic designer. She received her BA in Art Practice from UC Berkeley in 1995 and her MFA from Mills College in 2003. She is an adjunct professor at San Francisco State University, and has also taught at other Bay Area Colleges including UC Berkeley, Mills College, CCA, and Cal State East Bay.

Profoundly interested in the i