Start by marking “Virtually Yours” as Want to Read:
Virtually Yours

Virtually Yours

Modern love plus online anonymity is a recipe for romantic disaster in this lighthearted new romance from the author of The Geek’s Guide to Unrequited Love.

How bad can one little virtual lie be?

NYU freshman Mariam Vakilian hasn’t dated anyone in five months, not since her high school sweetheart Caleb broke up with her. So, when she decides to take advantage of an expiring
Published June 4th 2019 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Virtually Yours, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Virtually Yours

Start your review of Virtually Yours
Emer (A Little Haze)
Just lol no.
DNF @8%

Already trying too hard to be witty with an awkward yet wannabe adorbs MC...
Yeah she ain't adorbs she's just irritating. And after going through some weird virtual reality dating app / match making service she wants to essentially catfish her ex into falling back in love with this virtual avatar of herself????

Yeah can't be dealing.
julia ♥
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
read my full review on my blog: here
"How bad can one little virtual lie be?"

It's no secret that 2019 has an amazing line-up when it comes to to-be-released books, but a good chunk of those include some diverse contemporary romances with amazing covers. Virtually Yours, then, is no exception. When I got an ARC for this, I couldn't wait to get started reading this!

What is this book about?
Virtually Yours follows college freshman Mariam, who just broke up with her (now) ex-boyfriend Caleb. Both
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
4.5 Stars
The older i got, the more I realized I chose optimism. I chose it despite the odds stacked against it, despite living in a world whose currency was much more deeply rooted in cynicism and irony. It wasn't because I was weak and naive; it was because I was strong enough in my convicitions that the world could be all right anyway."
I honestly fell more in love with this story and with Miriam the more I read it. It was constatnly surprising me and just brought me so much happiness!

Stacee
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
I had read and enjoyed Sarvenaz’s other books and I was intrigued by this premise, but it was a little bland for me.

I liked Mariam well enough. Her inner monologue sounded much younger than her age, but she does grow in the story. There is an excellent group of secondary characters and they’re all so supportive. I especially loved Mariam’s roommate, Hedy.

Plot wise, it was all about the VR dating thing and that got pretty stale pretty quickly. I would have loved to see the friendships fleshed
Karina
Rating: 4.5 Stars: 1/2
Virtually Yours is a pretty underrated book and one I recommend checking out if your looking for college-set YA! Mariam is a wonderful & relatable protagonist, this is a book about friendship, love, and navigating life!! This book was SO good, I had such a fun time reading it!!

Its not just a book about romance, but also friendship and finding that balance to navigate all the relationships and different parts of life!

Following college freshman Mariam, she's navigating
Mary H
Oct 03, 2018 marked it as to-read
THIS SOUNDS AMAZING, AND THE COVER IS GORGEOUS.
Nikki (Book Allure)
Aug 19, 2019 marked it as did-not-finish
Did this just use catfishing as a means to get the love interest.... Yikes
Olivia & Lori (The Candid Cover)
This is another YA contemporary set in college that is releasing in 2019. I think the concept sounds like it has the potential for lots of interesting drama. I am not sure that I have read a book that features online dating . Looking forward to finding out more about this one!
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Based on the description, I wasn't really sure how Virtually Yours would work for me, but I sat down and read this cover to cover almost all in one evening (I stopped with fifty pages left because I have to work UGH).

Mariam's narrative voice is fantastic, and that's what drew me into the story and kept my attention. She's punny and silly and loving but also makes bad choices in a way that's really understandable and kinda relatable. Despite all the lying she does within the pages, she has an
nick
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5/5

I've been a fan of Sarvenaz Tash since her debut novel, Three Day Summer. Virtually Yours sounded so unique, I was very eager to read it. Mariam is a freshman at NYU still dealing with the heartbreak of breaking up with her high-school boyfriend, Caleb. She's finding it hard to move on from the relationship, so when the opportunity arises to give virtual dating a try, she takes a leap. This all sounds like a great idea until one of her three top matches turns out to be Caleb. She decides to
Andi (Andi's ABCs)
This review was originally posted on Andi's ABCs

I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review. Way back in 2015 I came across a book called Three Day Summer and I was instantly hooked on how Sarvenaz Tash tells a story and the characters she creates. I knew immediately after finishing it I was going to eagerly anticipate all her releases and I wasn’t wrong. I have been waiting for something new since 2016
Cathy
This was a quick and easy read, but it's more a coming of age story than a romance. Which is fine, of course, but it wasn't what I was expecting so that threw me a little.

I liked Mariam a lot, but the deception with regard to Caleb went on too long and then their storyline got dragged out even further when I was much more into her friendship with Jeremy. But as I said, this isn't really a straight-up romance and Mariam's doubts and feelings did feel accurate for her age and what she'd been
☆☆Hannah☆☆
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
The first half of this book went well for the most part. Of course her lying was stupid but we knew it was coming. However, as the book went along I found Mariam to be selfish. She was ditching people to go on virtual dates. Plus her getting mad at her friend because she was afraid she would do the same thing to her she had done before was just sad. As you tell Miriam was not my favorite person. I did like the idea of the book I just didn't like her.
Nicole Hewitt
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This review and many more can be found on my blog: Feed Your Fiction Addiction

When I saw the concept for this book, I couldn’t decide if virtual reality dating was a completely crazy idea or a highly likely one. Or maybe both? Either way, it was definitely intriguing, and I knew I wanted to read this book.

I loved the focus that this book had on the adjustment from high school to college—a topic that doesn’t get nearly enough attention. This book is actually less about the romance and more about
Samantha (WLABB)
Rating: 4.5 Stars

Mariam had NOT been making the most of her freshman year of college. This was a time for her to try new things, meet new people, and start looking towards her future. But, she was doing none of that. Instead, Mariam was floating in and out of each day, missing opportunities, as she nursed her broken heart. With encouragement from her roommate, she signed up for a virtual reality dating service, which just so happened to match her with the source of her heartache - her ex, Caleb.
nikki
Oct 06, 2019 rated it liked it
I feel like I wanted too badly to like this book and i did, but at the end of the day it was boring and repetitive at some points.

it also took me way too long to finish this simply because I didn’t really feel immersed in it which could have just been me but either way... i’m ehh on this one.
Lauren
May 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019
Mariam Vakilian is a freshman at at NYU who has a coupon for a virtual-reality dating service called HEAVR. Her high school boyfriend of three years broke up with her, and she is ready to try out something new to get her mind off him. After going through the initial questionnaire supported by HEAVR’s happily ever after guarantee, Mariam sees her results: her #1 match is her coworker Jeremy, and her #3 match is her ex-boyfriend, Caleb. So, Mariam does what any heartbroken teenager might consider ...more
Kara
Apr 25, 2018 marked it as to-read
OH GOD I WANT THIS NOW. Talk about a situation you've been in!
Steff Pasciuti
Honestly, I feel likeVirtually Yours by Sarvenaz Tash had a pretty interesting premise and a fantastic start. Overall, I was really enjoying the read as I began. After a little while, though, I began to slowly lose interest until I realized that I didn't actually care about any of the characters in the story.Virtually Yours follows Mariam Vakilian, a Freshman at NYU as she navigates the world after her breakup with long-time High School boyfriend, Caleb. In an attempt to move past her first ...more
Krystianna
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was super excited to have been approved for this title on Netgalley. I read and loved Sarvenaz Tash's The Geek's Guide to Unrequited Love back in 2016, and absolutely loved it. It was super geeky and nerdy and was all about Comic Con, which is one convention I've always dreamed of going to (besides BEA of course, which I still haven't gone to!).
Emma
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
Grade: B-
An e-galley was provided by Simon & Schuster via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: It's always interesting to watch romance blend with other genres. Virtually Yours could be considered contemporary, in a way, because the only new technology seems to be virtual reality for dating, and VR already exists. However, it didn't quite feel like 2019 to me.
I really liked how the author built Mariam's family and friends. Her family felt fully-formed,
Ashley
Jun 04, 2019 rated it liked it
I received an ARC of Virtually Yours from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. It was just released on June 4th.

I don’t have a whole lot to say about Virtually Yours, but I did have a lot of fun reading it. I liked it a lot and breezed through it. I liked the characters and all of the new friendships. I especially liked Mariam and Jeremy’s friendship the most. I liked the relationship Mariam had with her siblings and I liked the Iranian culture that was included in the
Brittney
Apr 28, 2019 rated it did not like it
*Thank you so much Simon and Schuster Books for Young Readers for providing me with an eARC of this to review.
DNF- at 52 percent
I will be reviewing this because I did read over half of this book and I did skip around some after the halfway point to see if I wanted to try to finish.

Virtually Yours follows Mariam, a NYU freshman, during her first year of college. Mariam feels pressured to find a new relationship that will be more successful than her previous one that ended in unexpected
Madison C.
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya
The book isn't bad; it could arguably be called a light and fun read. The reason I'm giving the book two stars instead of three is due to the protagonist. Half the time I really like her. The other half I find her completely irritating. *SPOILERS COMING UP* She tricks her ex-boyfriend into sort of dating her again, and tries to justify it by "what if's" and "meant to be's." Trying to reach some sort of closure doesn't justify or excuse harmful (and toxic) behavior.

Also, throughout a large
Lance Rubin
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much I BLURBED it. Here's what I said:

“As funny as it is wise, Virtually Yours is a 21st century delight, taking rom-com tropes that date back to Shakespeare and making them feel fresh and newly relevant. Not only does Sarvenaz Tash nail the feeling of college freshman year—the thrill and discomfort of trying to hold onto who you once were even as you’re becoming someone new—she also brilliantly tackles the question of what makes a relationship real. I loved it. For real.”

Susie Chavez
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you had the chance to start your relationship over again, would you? In a fun, futuristic world very like our own, Mariam does just that. Be ready for twists and turns befitting a Hallmark movie - you won't regret it.
elysianstories
Sep 07, 2019 rated it liked it
i loved the concept of this story and the light sci-fi character! but i think the story was kinda slow and the ending rushed? idk, it was a good read tho!
Anna Priemaza
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
VIRTUALLY YOURS is such a fun, heartfelt, introspective story. I got swept up in Mariam's complicated love life, realistic family, lovable friends, and sometimes questionable decisions, and finished the book in a single day!
Katey Psencik
A cute, quick summer read! Other reviews have mentioned the characters in the novel spoke & behaved like high school students and not college students, but they were extremely young college students, and that can be such a difficult age! I liked that this was a pretty realistic look at what it's like to transition from high school to college and say goodbye to childhood friendships, relationships and more.
Elizabeth Mellen
Aug 26, 2019 rated it liked it
This sounded right up my alley, but was just ok.

I don’t mind the catfishing trope in romance, if it’s done well. My Favorite Half-Night Stand had a similar vibe and worked for me. But I just couldn’t see where our protagonist was trying to go with this - I never found myself rooting for her and the relationship. There was no possibly good outcome. Then, the slightly sci-fi vibes from the fake dating site went a direction I was not expecting and didn’t really like.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• 10 Blind Dates
  • Somewhere Only We Know
  • Hearts Made for Breaking
  • Better Than the Best Plan
  • Waiting for Tom Hanks (Waiting for Tom Hanks, #1)
  • The Undoing of Thistle Tate
  • I Love You So Mochi
  • Call It What You Want
  • Hungry Hearts: 13 Tales of Food & Love
  • If I'm Being Honest
Sarvenaz Tash is the author of The Geek's Guide to Unrequited Love (an Amazon Best Book of the Year, YALSA Top Ten Quick Pick for Reluctant YA Readers), Virtually Yours, Three Day Summer and The Mapmaker and the Ghost. She was born in Tehran, Iran and grew up on Long Island, NY. She received her BFA in Film and Television from NYU's Tisch School of the Arts, whichmeans she got to spend most of ...more
“But people need different things from different relationships. And I don't think a close friendship is dissimilar from a romantic relationship. Hedy” 0 likes