Start by marking “The To-Do List and Other Debacles” as Want to Read:
The To-Do List and Other Debacles

The To-Do List and Other Debacles

'Thrillingly honest, funny, incisive and hopeful, this is the perfect gateway into a discussion on mental health' Marian Keyes

'Truly one of the most powerful books about mental health that I’ve ever read.' Daisy Buchanan

One of the Independent's top ten millennial memoirs of 2019

How not to be good? Let me list the ways…

Are you a woman? Do you make to-do lists to stop you
Published July 4th 2019 by Ebury Press

To ask other readers questions about The To-Do List and Other Debacles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The To-Do List and Other Debacles

Start your review of The To-Do List and Other Debacles
Dee-Cee  It's all about the books
I don't know about you but I write lists for a lot of things, shopping lists, housework lists and the main ones are reading lists, what I want to read, what I've read etc. There's nothing more satisfying than ticking things off, it makes you feel like you've accomplished something and Amy Jones is a list maker, every day she has a list for all the things she wants to accomplish that day, everything is added to the list whether it be taking a shower, meeting friends or cooking a meal.In The To-Do ...more
Clair Sharpe
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In The To-Do List and Other Debacles, video producer and acclaimed writer Amy Jones lifts the lid on what like is really like for 20- and 30-something women today covering everything from work to friendship to love to body image.
I must admit, I signed up for this blog tour purely based on the title and the cover of this book and until I sat down to read it, I didn’t really know what to expect. I think I thought it might be something to do with using the art of list writing to help get my act
Lisa
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An absolute delight! I laughed, cried and resonated with so much of it. She writes as if she's your friend and it's such an enjoyable read. Brilliant for anyone who has felt adrift and in need of some humourous guidance
Sharon
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love a list! I will quite happily compile a list for anything – shopping list, birthday list, books to be read list….if it can be added to a list then it does. So you can imagine my sheer delight when I saw this book! The author takes the reader through a very difficult time in her life and in her mental health. For her, making lists and ticking things off the lists kept her sane!

The book doesn’t just cover times in the author’s life where she has suffered with mental health problems, but it
Lex
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2019
I read the first two thirds of this when I got the proof a couple of months ago and then got sidetracked for a while but just finished it today and it’s BRILLIANT. Amy is hilarious, and brutally honest. It’s nice to know I’m not the only one thinking all these things, and that there’s light at the end of the tunnel.
Sophie
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book. It made me feel so many feelings, really tough going emotionally at points but brilliantly rewarding. The tone is so fresh and frank and perfectly in-tune with young women's lives.
Julie
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
These are hard won “lessons in life, love and losing my mind”, all seen through the eyes of Amy Jones, contemporary woman and entirely honest narrator of a fictional version of mental health issues. This is not really a self help book, though it does include a section of “Useful Links” for help with mental health issues. It is perhaps difficult to sort fact from fiction in this book, but ultimately that does not matter as it is such a strong testament to the real everyday problems of living with ...more
Karen Huxtable
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Anne Cater for my invitation to the tour and to Ebury Press for my gifted copy of the book in return for a fair and honest review.

I was attracted to this book immediately when Anne posted the tour as I, like Amy love a to do list. I have notepad to do lists and I have electronic to do lists and I still write more.

I loved Amy straight away, any woman who lives in a head like mine deserves love ! Anxiety and depression is exhausting and Amy is honest about it all. Amy has supportive
Neil
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Audiobook review. What a fantastic listen! Sometimes things happen that are so weird you start to truly believe in fate. I switched on the radio a few weeks ago, something I rarely do, and an interview with Amy Jones was just about to start. In the interview Amy discusses her obsession with to-do lists and her new book based around this and her struggles with her mental health. This interview ticked a whole load of boxes for me and I downloaded the audiobook immediately.

I wasn't disappointed.
Elsa Evans
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Through the first couple of chapters I though it's another one that some young London chicks complaining about their lives. I'm glad I didn't stop and carry on. It rings true about mental health, it feels real. I don't have a mental health problem but a close relative has had stress and depression. I generally think 'pull yourself together' but reading this I realise how unhelpful that can be. Being politically correct I will never say that to people's face but that's what I thought. I know ...more
Claire
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
God I love Amy's writing. This is a fictionalised memoir about mental health, being a woman in your twenties and feeling like you're failing at everything, and about trying to cope through endless to do lists. It's true to life, sad, and heartwarming all at the same time - the story is unflinchingly honest about mental health, body image and not feeling like you're enough.
Cath
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-english
Lovely brilliant fun book, I laughed a lot with some of the excerpts of the book, I just love how the author put witty fun points for a book that's about a very important and serious topic. This book creates awareness of the different aspects of mental health and it's a good way to understand mental illness from a perspective of someone who isnt a doctor but actually living it.
Rebecca
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I felt profoundly SEEN by this book. The woman writing it resembles me in so many ways it felt like I had been cosmically ordered to buy it from the book shop. It was genuinely perfect, in all ways except I hate the cover design and had to immediately remove the dust jacket and recycle it. Other than that, amazing book!
Kate Henderson
Jul 09, 2019 rated it liked it
**Listened via audible**

Based on the blurb I thought that this book would be amazing and right up my street but found it really quite dull. There were some great bits but not enough of them! I don’t feel like this book will stick in my mind.
Giulia
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love. Every. Single. List. And all the rest of the book. Thank you for talking about mental health in such a light but serious way.
Kelly
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Has to be the most honest and open book I have ever read (listened to).

I cried and laughed in equal amounts and I am completely in awe of Amy Jones for conveying brutal honesty in this book.
Stevie
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A thoroughly honest look at living with depression. I adored this book. Poignant, relatable, and accessible.
Mel
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of my favourite reads this year; I really resonated with the author and her experiences, especially managing relationships and family judgements. Fantastic read.
Kirsty
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really made me think and hit home many times
Chelsea
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fantastic. Everyone should read it.
Sheena
Lucy (TheBookBelle)
Aug 20, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Sisterhood: A Love Letter to the Women Who Have Shaped Me
  • Are We Nearly There Yet?
  • How to Fail: Everything I’ve Ever Learned From Things Going Wrong
  • Our Stop
  • What Would the Spice Girls Do?: How the Girl Power Generation Grew Up
  • So Lucky
  • It's Not OK to Feel Blue (and other lies): Inspirational people open up about their mental health
  • Lowborn: Growing Up, Getting Away and Returning to Britain’s Poorest Towns
  • The Guilty Feminist: From Our Noble Goals to Our Worst Hypocrisies
  • No Big Deal
  • A Half Baked Idea: How grief, love and cake took me from the courtroom to Le Cordon Bleu
  • If I Never Met You
  • How To Break Up With Fast Fashion
  • Sorry I'm Late, I Didn't Want to Come: An Introvert's Year of Living Dangerously
  • Animals
  • The Places I've Cried in Public
  • How Do You Like Me Now?
  • The Single Girl's To-Do List
Amy Jones was born in Wales in 1990, but moved to Warwickshire when she was seven. She lived in North London from 2012-2019, and now lives in Leicestershire with her husband, her baby and her cat. She has been writing since she was old enough to hold a pen - everything from fantasy stories about mermaid-fairy hybrids who live in her curtain rail, short horror stories described by one teacher as ...more