Start by marking “Charlie Changes Into a Chicken” as Want to Read:
Charlie Changes Into a Chicken

Charlie Changes Into a Chicken

The first book in a hilarious new series perfect for fans of David Walliams, Kid Normal and Tom Gates.

Charlie McGuffin tries to be an optimist, but in reality he's a bit of a worrier.

Some of the things Charlie is worried about:

· His brother (who is in hospital)

· Their very panicked parents

· Unwanted attention from the school bully

· The fact that he's started turning into a
Published February 7th 2019 by Puffin (first published 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Charlie Changes Into a Chicken, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Charlie Changes Into a Chicken

London Shah
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just read an advance copy of this book yesterday and oh my goodness — such a precious little gem of a story! Charlie Changes into a Chicken has become my absolute favourite Middle Grade fantasy read, and is hands down the funniest book I've ever had the pleasure of discovering. The author has been likened to a modern-day Roald Dahl, and from the moment you start reading you can see this is no exaggeration.

Copeland narrates Charlie's tale so skilfully, with so much wit, heart, and humour, you'
Marieke Leest
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gewonnen-boeken
Ik heb dit boek reeds mogen lezen voor de Hebbanbuzz. Het boek verschijnt op 7/02/2019 in het Nederlands in de boekhandels.

Ik las dit boek samen met mijn zevenjarige zoon. Al onmiddellijk werd er met grapjes gegooid. En ze waren nog grappig ook! Zelfs voor mij, toch wel een vijfentwintig jaar ouder dan de doelgroep..

Ook mijn zoon vond het een leuk boek en hij ging stiekem al vooruit kijken naar de tekeningen om te zien wat er nog stond te gebeuren. We lazen het boek samen omdat het toch best een
Mieke Schepens
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite
Waar kom je een boek tegen waarin de hoofdpersoon het in zijn hoofd haalt om een paar bladzijden na het begin, het verhaal opnieuw te vertellen? De lezer moet dan gewoon net doen alsof hij of zij het eerste stuk niet gelezen heeft. Ik vond het hilarisch en dat was nog maar het begin!
Deze Kasper Verhoeven is inderdaad uniek te noemen.

Kasper maakt zich erg druk om de gezondheid van zijn oudere broer, SuperMove. Zo heet hij natuurlijk niet, maar zo noemen we hem in de rest van deze recensie. SuperM
Maria B
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
LOL! SO FUNNY! Honoured to have read an early copy. I just checked and there's going to be another book yay! So happy. The pigeons lolol and the rhino and the bully (BOO!) and ALL THE POO omg. SO funny lolol. Little Charlie is proper cute! Highly enjoyable story for anyone of any age really (the author's notes are so funny omg I laughed so much reading them lolol). And the cover is proper shiny and gorgeous!
Zeynah
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
THIS IS THE CUTEST BOOK EVER. And the funniest LOOOL. Anything that can hold my miserable lot's attention for that long and keep them laughing THAT much is a MIRACLE! This family loved reading it together so much, and look forward to hearing some more from Charlie. Thank you!!
Shaz_A
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fantastic! Laughs! Friends! Animals! Poo! I had loads of fun reading this to the kids. They laughed so hard and asked a lot of questions. And we LOVE the drawings too. Charlie's a proper little Yorkshireman we reckon lol!
Paul Pogba Rules
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Man, my kids loved this story. Mohammed (10 years old) is a big Mohsin fan now. And he loves Paul Pogba so you know guy's got good taste. They laughed so much. Nice one!
Kaya
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
We're so lucky to have read an early copy of this book. Thanks so much for giving us this opportunity. It's SO funny lol. My daughter loves Flora so much. We both love Charlie and wanted to hug him! It is so important to talk about anxiety with children, and I used the opportunity this story gave me to do exactly that with mine. We've ordered copies for the kids because they begged us lol (they won't stop talking and laughing about ahem CERTAIN POO-RELATED SCENES). Lol it is fantastic!
Elaine Harris
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing book.ok I know it's aimed at children and I know my grandchildren will love it but it is a great read even for us mature people. Beautifully written and illustrated.
Leilah Skelton
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Charlie Changes Into A Chicken is the hilarious, calamitous story of a week in the life of a schoolboy and his close friends. School is hard at the best of times, but it's even tougher when your big brother is very ill, the school play looms, your arch enemy has your downfall in his sights, and you've suddenly, inexplicably, uncontrollably, started changing into random animals…

Sam Copeland packs in the sniggers at a fearsome pace, and clearly has a keen tickle finger on the funny bone of his aud
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Meet Charlie. He’s a fairly normal nine-year-old who enjoys playing FIFA on the PS4 and tries to stay positive—even though he’s the target of the school bully and his brother is in hospital. Oh, and he also happens to turn into a colourful menagerie of animals when he least expects it, from a high-hopping flea to an incontinent rhino.

Young readers are sure to be delighted by Charlie’s lively tale, which begins in action-packed fashion and manages to sustain its pace throughout. Each animal trans
Horrid Henry
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank you very much for letting us read an early copy.

WE ALL LOVE IT. I love the girl's character SO MUCH and she reminds me 100% of my sister (who is an author!). Reading this story kept reminding me of when we used to read Roald Dahl books as little girls. My youngest 2 think it's the best book I've ever read to them and we can't wait to have our own copy when it comes out. And I loved Charlie's brother so much and was really glad it ended how it did thank goodness. What a wonderful story, whi
Ash
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read this 2 days ago and can't wait to read again when it comes out lol. The pigeons were fabulous! I hope they make a film or tv series of this because that would be so funny omg. The question and answer section at the end is the coolest lol.

All the kids are so different and so fabulous/sad in their own way LOL. Wogan's tracksuit! Mohsin's hair! The bully's hair AND face lol and Charlie's cuteness awww and Flora jk, Flora is PERFECT! It's one of those stories where you want the cuddly toys of
Hally
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was one of the funniest books I've ever read. And I don't really read books like this. I love the classics. But the main character will melt your heart! I hated the bully but he's also so funny because he's so sad lol. And I loved Flora but I won't say why because spoilers, but she is my favourite! And there is a certain scene omg I just cried laughing, but spoilers. My nephew was in hysterics as he listened to this story lol. I can't imagine any child not loving this wonderful bo ...more
Sam A
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As a social worker with many vulnerable children under my care, I fell in love with this book. Yes it's really funny and silly, but it is also very important and clever. These children need laughter and escape, and I hope I can place this book in as many young hands as possible so they can giggle freely while knowing their worries CAN be conquered. I highly recommend for all families and institutions with children. A huge well done to the author.
Stefan_Stan VD4Eva
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful, odd little story! Very very funny. And the author's notes are the BEST ha ha ha!! I really love how diverse the group of friends are, it was so lovely to see that :-) More groups of friends like this please, having one very silly and funny time after another :-D My little sister wants troll hair clips now and I think it's a great idea because the girl in this story is THE BEST! Such a funny book! The monkey scene HAHAHA!!!!
Jenny Caddick
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book! Full of laugh out loud moments and those lump in the throat ones that both leave the reader with tears in their eyes. Deals with a hugely important issue of a child's anxiety and worry in such a gloriously positive and upbeat manner . From the hilarious footnotes,to the chatty narrating style,to the fabulous foursome that Charlie and his friends make (not forgetting the flirty French pigeons and a HUGE amount of poo) this book captured my heart and was a joy to read!
Jenny Holder
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’d heard a lot of talk about this book and how funny it was but also how it was a great representation of what it’s like to have anxiety. I’m sometimes a bit wary of hype but I’m particularly interested in children’s books that deal with mental health or emotional wellbeing so I decided that this was a book that I really needed to read, I’m so glad that I did.
First of all, the book is genuinely laugh out loud funny. I often inwardly smile at books but it takes a lot to make me guffaw and prope
Saskia
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Charlie changes into a different animal every time he feels under pressure! This is the mad adventure you wish you'd had with your mates at that age lol. Proper funny stuff here. The kids are adorable. My boy loved every bit and said his favourite was Charlie going down the hill in the go-kart. And he really took to Mohsen! Brilliant fun for kids of any age. Thanks :-)
Kat
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The blingest book I've ever seen, and the best drawings too. Charlie is SO CUTE! This book goes from so funny to so sweet to so moving and I think it's just the best. Also MOHSEN!!! I showed him to my friends at uni and we cried lololol. You don't know how many Mohsins we know hahaha we screamed! What a funny, sweet little book I LOVE IT!
Uma
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Where do I start haha. The flirty pigeons! And shaving the monkey haha!! It's VERY funny! And all humour aside, this book's a must for every child. Several kids I know suffer from anxiety, and we need to talk about this stuff with them. A joy from start to finish, and I look forward to the next one x
Thor_Lover
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well I must say this was NOT what I was expecting and I loved it! It is wackier than I had anticipated and it was exactly right lol!! My little niece laughed along with me and we think Charlie has to be the sweetest kid on the block. Recommended for anyone who loves a good laugh! My niece thinks the world of Flora ahhhh. A super duper fun read! xoxo
Z Ali
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
LOL SO BAD SO FUNNY SO SILLY SO CUTE!!!!!!! It's like a Roald Dahl book but SO much funnier. The bullyyyyyyyy LMAO. And Mohsen omg I can't because I have a cousin exactly like him LMAO! Also I USED TO HAVE TROLL HAIR BOBBLES! Lolol I have to buy and read the final copy, and torment my little cousin with Mohsen's pictures LOL. AND THE POO...! So so funny!
Robin Stevens
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very funny indeed. No chickens, though. (6+)

*Please note: this review is meant as a recommendation only. If you use it in any marketing material, online or anywhere on a published book without asking permission from me first, I will ask you to remove that use immediately. Thank you!*
Evelyn Romp
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grappiger kan gewoon niet. Briljant bedacht en ik ga alle Kasper-boeken lezen.
Joseph Elliott
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is awesome. The funniest book I can remember reading in a long time; I genuinely laughed out loud numerous times - it is full to bursting with witty tongue-in-cheek and self-referential humour. And quite a few poo jokes. If you know any kids, buy them this and they've love you forever (or at least for a bit). If you don't know any kids, just buy it for yourself.
Beck
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Charlie suddenly starts changing into animals, and the school bully knows and wants to expose him. His friends come to his aid, to help find out why and stop Charlie from changing.

This is such a funny book, full of bum and poo jokes, that had me chuckling as a grown up (I do enjoy a bit of toilet humour), but was not too over the top as they can sometimes be. There is a comedic conversational banter with the author with Q&A's and footnotes, which i also really enjoyed and added a bit extra.
Heloise Wood
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book: it's funny, imaginative and touching. Also features some great characters (Flora is my fave). Recommend for all the kids and chickens in your life.
Debora De Krom
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gewonnen, in-bezit
Hilarisch boek vol humor en onverwachte wendingen

In Kasper wordt een kip veranderd Kasper op de vreemdste momenten in een dier.
Samen met zijn beste vrienden Samir, Hogan en Flora probeert hij te ontdekken hoe hij dit onder controle kan krijgen voordat hij zijn rol als zielige aardappel nr 1 moet vertolken in de schoolmusical.

Sam Copeland weet met zijn humorvolle manier van schrijven mijn zoontjes van het begin tot het einde te boeien.
Ze weten nu wat voetnoten zijn, want Sam gebruikt deze regelma
« previous 1 3 next »
Sam Copeland is from Manchester and now lives in London with two smelly cats, three smelly children and one relatively clean-smelling wife. He works as a chicken whisperer, travelling the world using his unique gift to tame wild chickens. Charlie Changes Into a Chicken is his first book. He has threatened to write more. www.sam-copeland.com